The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2005, 12:33 PM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
The Eye LotR -- Book 4 - Chapter 03 - The Black Gate Is Closed

The beginning of this chapter feels almost anticlimactic, with its announcement that the journey to Mordor was over. However, the difficulties involved with entering the land are only just beginning with the arrival at the Black Gate.

We have descriptive passages in this chapter as well as glimpses of the past history of Gondor and the Dark Lord. Some of this is given by the narrator; some comes, interestingly, from Sméagol. This is a good basis for discussion of background information to this chapter.

Though the situation is serious, the first direct speech comes from Sam and is humorous in nature. His "inner Gaffer" is telling him that he has come to a bad end - and that he needs a wash! I love the statement that "he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed." That tells us much about his nature. We experience some of this part of the story from his point of view - and find that he is more astute in his assessment of Gollum's purpose and their situation than he seemed so far.

We also get a glimpse into Frodo's thoughts. He takes his time making that all-important decision, preceded by a wonderful passage about the strength of his character.
Quote:
His face was grim and set, but resolute. He was filthy, haggard, and pinched with weariness, but he cowered no longer, and his eyes were clear.
He says "I purpose", and "I shall". He also gives Gollum a severe warning, showing Sam that he is more aware of his treachery than he is thought to be.

The nicknames Sam gives to Gollum's two halves are appropriate and rather amusing - Slinker and Stinker. Gollum is both helpful and deceptive in telling about the other way into Mordor, above all following his own agenda.

There is a tiny glimpse into the other thread of the story, telling about what Gandalf was doing at that time.

Once again a poem is included! The Oliphaunt poem (and Sam's recitation thereof) is a favourite of many fans. How do you like it and how do you see its importance in the story? As I see it, it serves a purpose in the narrative, as laughing over it releases Frodo from his hesitation concerning their next step.

The conversations and glimpses into the three characters give us much to discuss, individually and comparatively. As there is no physical movement in this chapter - it takes place in one location - the concentration is on the characters and their decisions.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote