The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 11:31 PM   #1361
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
funny, i started the whole Perky-Oxymoron thing...

and i think that it would be fun if the mods got together and chose a name that best suits whom they are giving a personal title too... see what thoughts the mods have in their heads
Old 01-03-2006, 07:08 AM   #1362
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Have you ever observed a green box being added to someone after repping him/her and refreshing the page? I just did, and does it feel wonderful to see that happen!

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 01-05-2006 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:27 AM   #1363
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
Have you ever observed a green box being added to someone after you repping him/her and refreshing the page? I just did, and does it feel wonderful to see that happen!
Yes actually I have.

It was rather funny, though, as I think it was an inactive member. It was strange, knowing I was boosting their reputation and they would probably never even know...
Old 01-03-2006, 10:55 AM   #1364
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Have you ever observed a green box being added to someone after you repping him/her and refreshing the page? I just did, and does it feel wonderful to see that happen!
Yeah, I've noticed that before, but there's a feeling that's either better than that or real close: Repping someone and then discovering that you moved them past you on the Members List.

For whatever reason, that actually feels really good.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:29 AM   #1365
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Thank you Lhun for the rep points!I guess not everyone hates me(snicker)Oh and happy Deathday to you tomorrow!
Old 01-04-2006, 03:58 PM   #1366
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Hmmm, got an usigned positive rep (yay for positiveness) yesterday at 11:06 PM CST worth 64 points. I think I've narrowed it down to Oddwn, Nilp, lmp, or possibly TGWBS. Although I could always be wrong...however unlikely that might be.

Detective work is actually fun.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:13 PM   #1367
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks to Nilp, I am finally also shivering high on Taniquetil. Strangely enough, I'm actually quite proud of this virtual achievement. And of course grateful to all those thoughtful persons who helped me up there. (Yay!)
Old 01-04-2006, 04:50 PM   #1368
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
It was rather funny, though, as I think it was an inactive member. It was strange, knowing I was boosting their reputation and they would probably never even know...
Gurthang -

You may be surprised. Some people have a way of floating off the site and then floating back again in a few weeks or months, or even a year or two.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:57 PM   #1369
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
Gurthang -

You may be surprised. Some people have a way of floating off the site and then floating back again in a few weeks or months, or even a year or two.
...And if they do, just think of the warm happy feeling they'll get when they see that little reputation. I think you've made a friend, Gurthang
Old 01-05-2006, 01:53 AM   #1370
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Only Real Estel
Hmmm, got an usigned positive rep (yay for positiveness) yesterday at 11:06 PM CST worth 64 points. I think I've narrowed it down to Oddwn, Nilp, lmp, or possibly TGWBS. Although I could always be wrong...however unlikely that might be.

I'll be bursting your detective bubble, Estel.

It was the keyboard's fault! Honest!

EDIT: Or at least I think it's me. I could be wrong, but I'm sure I accidently hit the "Enter" key while repping someone around that time...

*does a quick count*

Yep, it's me.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 01-05-2006 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:55 AM   #1371
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Wow! Thanks to everyone who just got me up to Taniquetil again. It's been so long since I checked I don't know who it was but thank you all!
Old 01-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #1372
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Posted by Lhuna:
Quote:
I'll be bursting your detective bubble, Estel.
Actually I had you in the original list but I thought you had given me a rep not to far back worth 65 points & this one was worth 64...oh well, I guess I don't keep track of the points closely so I have a good excuse.

Thanks for the rep.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:48 AM   #1373
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Like investment capital....

The value of ones rep may go down as well as up......

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 01-09-2006, 07:09 AM   #1374
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I had a foolish and shallow little ambition to climb the peak of Tanquentil before the end of 2005. Thank you to those who got me there....and happy new year to all.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:02 AM   #1375
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quote:
Actually I had you in the original list but I thought you had given me a rep not to far back worth 65 points & this one was worth 64...oh well, I guess I don't keep track of the points closely so I have a good excuse.

Thanks for the rep.
If you're certain with your counting, then that's really odd, as I see no reason for that to happen unless I deleted a large number of my posts to less than a thousand or we moved back a year in time...

But you deserved it, in any case.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:11 AM   #1376
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:

Just bear in mind that an unsigned positive rep may mean that the donor does not want their opinion publicised rather than they were forgetful....

?Unsigned neg rep is a different matter .. now that I have experienced it I think that unsigned with a comment is actually more annoying than a blank response. Personally, it makes me far less inclined to take what may be a valid point on the chin if the person correcting you doesn't put their name to it.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 01-10-2006 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:35 AM   #1377
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I was wondering...

I've noticed that the vast majority of the time when I post something that gets multiple reps, all of them tend to come within a couple hours after I post it (or if it's late at night, all of them come overnight) - very few if any come in after that. I would think that, being as spread out across timezones as we are, the reps would be more spread out as well. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 01-14-2006, 05:06 PM   #1378
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I got an unsigned positive rep for Palantir the other day. Not just unsigned in fact but uncommented. Neither has ever happened before. Still, it's a positive rep so woo!

And yes Firefoot I had noticed that but it happens less with me. It does seem odd but perhaps you post at a time when there are lots of people from lots of differen timezones?
Old 01-25-2006, 05:07 PM   #1379
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dűm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
I just got an unsigned positive rep from someone for my bagpipe picture. In reposnse to your question, no I don't really play the bagpipes, but the street performer who's body I inhabited does. Thanks for the rep!
Old 01-26-2006, 10:10 PM   #1380
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
thanks to Valier for her rep about my siggy, the basic story behind it is that me and some friends are actually forming a webcomic, so i might have a little section about the adventure of Gil-galad, which would have my weird moments and my funny moments of my comedy-ensuing life. hopefully it will be up during this summer if we get to work on it
Old 01-27-2006, 11:42 AM   #1381
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I have a bad habit of going to the members list and switching it to the by reputation mode and then looking where I am. Sometimes I'm at the bottom of the second page, sometimes I'm at the top of the third page. It delights me if I get to the second page; I feel I'm very high-class.

Does anyone else admit doing this or something similar?
Old 01-27-2006, 11:58 AM   #1382
The Squatter of Amon Rűdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rűdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rűdh
Pipe New reputation level?

That is, of course, how I spend a shocking amount of my time at the Downs. I justify it by thinking that the good opinion of such venerable wights is the most valuable commodity on the internet, but it's probably just vanity. In my defence, I also look to find out whether people are where I think they deserve to be in the rankings. It's always nice to see on-line friends or members I respect doing well.

Speaking of popularity contests, my reputation caption appears to have changed to 'The Squatter of Amon Rűdh wonders what happened to the reputation system". Has anybody else seen that one yet? I think it might well be my favourite so far.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:23 PM   #1383
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
I used to when I was third on the list (for a short while) - it tickled my vanity to think that maybe Fordim and Davem (than 1-2) are beatable. But than came realisation the ground for it was indeed vanity, no more, so I've stopped to check. Not that I do not take a look now and than, though

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
Old 01-27-2006, 01:29 PM   #1384
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

I sit now high in the Taniquetil!
Thanks for all who helped me to get there.
My special thanks go to HerenIstarion who has given me about a third of my latest reputations and piosenniel who gave the final reputation for me to get over 2000 rep points. Thanks a lot!
Old 01-27-2006, 01:40 PM   #1385
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I did indeed chart my progress after my re-emerging last year. Since I maintained a stable position at circa. 25th, I've stopped looking.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:45 PM   #1386
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
In my defence, I also look to find out whether people are where I think they deserve to be in the rankings.
If you find the right people they will tell you I've questioned many times how the heck I got these many points and whether I deserve it. I mean to be above those like davem, Heren, Fordim, and many others, just seems awkward to me.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:48 PM   #1387
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Yes Squatter there are about 5 new ones I think before you get to ' [name] has mounted Taniquetil again'

At least you got to see yours though, I missed that little journey!
Old 01-27-2006, 01:51 PM   #1388
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Yes Squatter there are about 5 new ones I think before you get to ' [name] has mounted Taniquetil again'

At least you got to see yours though, I missed that little journey!
And does anyone know what the others are?
Old 01-27-2006, 01:56 PM   #1389
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

. . . is a forgetful Maia
. . . is dating a creepy Nazgul
. . . is stealing poratoes from confused gaffers

That's all I recall offhand.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:30 PM   #1390
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Well, I must say that I have accomplished my two of my personal goals: To beat Bw and Wilwa in rep. Thank you to all those who helped me!!

Speak of the buttefly, she's a little tied up and might not be back on for a little while.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:39 PM   #1391
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
. . . is a forgetful Maia
. . . is dating a creepy Nazgul
. . . is stealing poratoes from confused gaffers
I think one is terrorizing mirkwood elves, and then the other is something about the Maia. Forgetful maia? Or is that before?

Edit:

Silly me you already have the maia one.

Edit 2:

by the way its ...enjoys terrorizing wood elves. not mirkwood elves.

Edit 3:

The last one is ...stalks petty dwarves.

Last edited by Boromir88; 01-27-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:40 PM   #1392
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Darned, and I was happy I had made it to Tanquetil.... and still am!!

I must say that the Werewolf games do help... yet I had a fair bit of unexpected reps. It's odd, sometimes I wrote a post thinking "Well, someone ought to rep me for this one" yet nothing... and then I started getting reps for posts I had written a while ago... not that I mind! but it was quite surprising. It's nice to get reps, although I prefer PMs... not to be confused with PMS though.

Still, thanks you all!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 12:38 PM   #1393
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thanks mostly to WWJ3 I'm now on the second page; and not even the last one there!

Thanks for all who have repped me lately!

P.S. This is dangerous; I'm becoming rep-obsessed...
Old 02-02-2006, 12:57 PM   #1394
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Reps are shiny. Titles are nifty (Yay! now I can haunt Glirdan like I promised...)

And PMs...I REALLY like PMs.

But best of all are IM conversations...YAY FOR GETTING INTERNET AT HOME!
Old 02-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #1395
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

I would like to thank everyone from Death Wish Valley!! thanks for all the reps
I feel really "loved" Hope to play with all of you again(some I already am)
Old 02-02-2006, 04:12 PM   #1396
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Thank you everyone for helping me get even furhter in reps. 3, 108, approximately. Thank you so much!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 08:40 PM   #1397
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Leaf I can't believe I haven't said this yet.

Reps are a good way of meeting people.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:39 AM   #1398
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund
Reps are a good way of meeting people.
So, does that mean that you have met someone? Or that every rep you give from now on should be taken with this in mind. Or perhaps it means you now see the Down's as a dating service!
Old 02-03-2006, 10:00 AM   #1399
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
While I'll admit the occasional rep-stalk, it's not so much vanity as that I love to see what sorts of quirky comments people leave. As for the Members List... I'm dead curious as to whether or not there's a level above what we seem to have peaked at. I check occasionally to see.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:07 AM   #1400
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tolkien Plums, yes, but dates?

Quote:
So, does that mean that you have met someone? (Talking Sword)
Hmmm . . . Define 'met.'

If you mean, 'Has a rep led you and someone else into exchanging insanely long PMs about the meaning of life, frogs, and what lies behind Kakashi's mask,' then, yes, I have.

Quote:
Or that every rep you give from now on should be taken with this in mind. Or perhaps it means you now see the Down's as a dating service! (Gurthang)
Don't be absurd! I don't 'date,' I believe in spending whatever time you have memorising everything Tolkien has ever written.
Closed Thread