Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2004, 07:05 AM   #441
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Hey! It seems that I am having another hurricane this weekend. Hopefully, I will be lucky (again) and not lose power or phone connections. As usual, please bear in mind that if I disappear for a few days, it is due to the storm. I'll be back!
Old 09-25-2004, 12:34 PM   #442
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Take care! Jeanne looks as if she might head right towards you. Hopefully she will veer away and bother some nameless and deserted rocky isle in the North Atlantic. We're thinking about you!
Old 09-27-2004, 12:28 PM   #443
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Thumbs up

Thanks, Mithadan! Fortunately, the eye of the storm missed me this time. I have a new leak in my roof, courtesy of Jeanne, but aside from that, all is well. At least I have a roof!
Old 09-27-2004, 12:40 PM   #444
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Once the death observances are done - about how long game time before

1.) Rama heads out to find help from the Mountain Eagles

2.) the clan decides to contact other clans to form an alliance

?

~*~ Pio
Old 09-27-2004, 03:04 PM   #445
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Is that where we are headed? ~Kidding, of course~

Seriously, I bow to Child and the other eagle players for an answer to that one. I will float along which ever way the wind blows.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:23 AM   #446
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Let me throw my two cents in on this planning tomorrow as well as put up my own game post.

Sorry I am late. But, sigh....it never fails! Everytime I try and post for Rama, something else comes thudding in. I am going to sneak my little notebook in to work and see if that does the trick.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 09-28-2004 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:33 AM   #447
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Ooh . . . Cami! You need a Dell pocket PC . . . take it to work with you or wherever and never be more than a tap of your stylus away from your Word program and the 'net . . .

~*~ Pio
Old 09-28-2004, 03:37 AM   #448
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

But wouldn't
your posts
look sort of
narrow, and
hard to read?

I wish that I
had something
portable, other
than a notebook
so that I didn't
have to retype.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:24 PM   #449
Child of the 7th Age

A laptop or a Dell pocket pc would indeed be nice! If you saw how garbled my own handwriting is, you would agree that even that funny, skinny type is better than my illegible script. However, I think the true answer is to add more hours to the day, and I haven't figured out how to do that yet.
Meanwhile, I am popping this planning material forward:

The day of the death:
-A small pot of water would be placed outside the tent were Ayar died.
-A high bier would be constructed outside the camp and Ayar’s body washed.
-Thorn would carry Ayar to the bier and place her on it, followed by Ráma and Narika, and then the rest of the clan.
-Narika and Ráma would arrange their mother to be comfortably facing west.
-All remaining possessions belonging to Ayar would be burned in front of her body at sunset, so that nothing might keep her from flying free of her body.
-The clan would join in songs to encourage Ayar to leave for the west, and assuring her that they will be all right.
-A smoky fire is kept near the body, for the next few days.

Day 2:
-At sunset the clan would gather again to sing this time in camp, once more encouraging Ayar to leave as well as recounting tales of her ancestors.

Day 3:
-The body is burned and the remains buried.
-At sunset again the clan would gather in camp singing about the ancestors and adding a new song about Ayar.

Day 4:
- The pot of water is symbolically upturned by family members, and the clan is now free to move on.

Now, let me get writing and see what comes out....
Old 09-28-2004, 02:43 PM   #450
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

I put up a Save for Airefalas that will take place in the Evening of Day One. If anyone has something planned that needs to come before that, please let me know. I can relocate my save!

EDIT: Oooh... upon re-reading Child's outline, it looks like there is a lot to be done prior to that. Yikes! I'll just delete my save and wait to place my post until the right moment arises.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:03 PM   #451
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Quote:
However, I think the true answer is to add more hours to the day, and I haven't figured out how to do that yet.
Cut and Paste?
Old 09-28-2004, 04:42 PM   #452
Child of the 7th Age

Hilde,

If you can do that, please be my guest....

Ealasaide -

I have the same problem you do. My post for Rama will be in the early evening. I am hesistent to put it up mainly because there should presumably be some reaction to Sorona's vision by the Elders and the community at large....

How about if we posted several saves for this reaction, and Ealasaide and I then went on to put up our evening posts? Will that work for other people?

Would the outline below work for people? Are there other things that should go in here? I thought it would be easier to discuss this if we at least had someplace to start. I don't think we want to dwell too long on any one day, as we could get bogged down in talk instead of action....but there are things that need to be covered.

• Elders' meeting (done)
  • Sorona shares her vision (save up)
  • Elders react (perhaps a save as stated above?)
  • Those outside the meeting react (perhaps a save?)
  • Individual evening posts of Day 1 -- One of the things I want to do is to hook Ráma up with Aiwendil
  • Rog leaves at the end of Day 1. Is that right???
  • Summary post for day 2 following the outline for the funeral (Hilde?)
  • Summary post for day three following the outline for the funeral (Child?)
  • Day four will be individual posts that tie up the funeral and set the scene for coming action and conflicts, e.g., Rama talking with her sister privately about what Ayar said, preparations for the wedding and the official naming of the new leaders....
  • Day 5 would be individual posts for the wedding and naming
  • Day 6 would be the BIG meeting of the Elders where everyone is screaming at each other, Rama is officially declared a lunatic when rumors of what her mother said slips out, and we finally decide what we are going to do for the rest of the game

We'd do our long range game planning at the same time as the Elders are screaming at each other. How does this sound? Suggestions, reactions?

If people want to revise or add to this, let me know and I'll stick other things in....

Help Wanted: please apply by pm :

I need someone to overhear part of the conversation between Rama and Narika where my character tells her reluctant sister their mother's requests regarding wyrm's and great Eagles. This conversation is supposed to be private, but I think it might be interesting if it were overheard and somebody spilled the beans in the Elders' Meeting on day 6. Any takers? This could presumably be someone who liked to stir the pot and cause trouble....
Old 09-28-2004, 05:02 PM   #453
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Thumbs up

Child - Sounds like a plan to me!

Also, I can have one of my Oldsters (not Fador) overhear the conversation between Rama and Narika, if that would work for everyone.

EDIT: Oh, oops. I didn't see that part about respond by PM. Sorry. Please let me know by PM if you want me to do that.

Last edited by Ealasaide; 09-28-2004 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:05 PM   #454
Child of the 7th Age

Ealasaide

Oh, good. One of the oldsters would be fine! I'll send you a pm with a draft post when we get closer to that point....

I'll leave my plan up a bit, and see if anyone has anything to change or add.

Cami

Further response to Ealasaide's edit.... The note on the thread is fine. We'll exchange pms later.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:49 AM   #455
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Yes, Rôg is leaving at the end of day one - in fact, I'll put up the 2 saves mentioned for the "reaction" posts.

Then I'll have Rôg leave supper and a note for Aiwendil ( Where is the old fellow at present, btw?) Following that - the skinchanger will definitely beat feet . . .
Old 09-29-2004, 03:57 AM   #456
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Child, I am currently working on a post for Thorn that would take place around the same time as Sorona's revelation. I don't know when I will have it ready (my brother and his wife are arriving from overseas this weekend...house is a mess....), but would it be possible to tuck it in somewhere on the the thread, if it has already become night?

After that I will start on day 2.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:35 AM   #457
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Ok I have finally managed to filled Sorona's save! (#290). Sorry it took so long and if anyone see's any changes that need made please feel free to let me know and I can edit!
Old 09-29-2004, 07:38 AM   #458
Child of the 7th Age

Thumbs up

Nerindel,

Great post! Looks as if we are full steam ahead now.

Pio,

Thanks for that string of saves.

Hilde,

We can put an unlimited number of posts in those save boxed that Pio posted. So just put yours on the discussion thread, and tell Pio what box you would like it in.

Rôg,

Aiwendil will emerge shortly. Actually, in the afternoon, he will have shifted into another form and be winging upward for some serious thought. He will be pretty shaken up to hear of Sorona's dream, as he will implicitly understand that it has been sent from the West. By evening when Rog leaves, he will be talking with Rama and reluctantly agreeing to come through on his promise to her.

Use him as needed or leave the note and I will respond to it -- whatever works for you.

Cami
Old 09-29-2004, 02:43 PM   #459
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

My post for Piosenniel is now filled in - #295.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:41 AM   #460
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Ealasaide I have edited Korpulfr's last post to give us a little more time for the interactions we discussed between Hasrim and Fador.

Quote:
“I need to rest, both of you eat and make ready to leave, by evening you both will return to Wyrma and inform her of what we have found!" Korpulfr said then returning to his un-slept in bedroll he lay down and drifted off into an uneasy sleep.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:42 AM   #461
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

MY post for Rôg #298 is now filled in.

~*~ Pio
Old 09-30-2004, 10:47 AM   #462
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Thumbs up

Okay, Nerindel! Looks like I have a little reading to do. ..and writing..
Old 09-30-2004, 11:14 AM   #463
Child of the 7th Age

Save 294 is filled in.

Err....Aiwendil has done something rather foolish. In his joy at regaining his skills as a Maia and his keen desire to honor the fair lady, he has circled the funeral bier twice in the guise of a Great Eagle. Presumably this will be passed down in legend as evidence of the woman's greatness!
Old 09-30-2004, 05:02 PM   #464
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Kudos to Aiwendil on his avian epiphany!

Aiwendil, oh, you ain't gettin' no younger
Your pain and your hunger, they're drivin' you home
And freedom, oh freedom well, that's just some people talkin'
Your prison is walking through this world all alone . . .

-- with apologies to the Eagles, "Desperado"

-- Rôg

Last edited by piosenniel; 09-30-2004 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:15 AM   #465
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

I plan to have the Elders' reaction to Sorona's dream filled in by sometime tomorrow, and, if I'm lucky timewise, Airefalas as well.

In the meantime, I have a quick question for Ayar's Funeral Directors: Does the wailing of the official mourners continue every night until Ayar's spirit takes her final flight? Or is that just something that takes place on the day of her death?

EDIT: I just found out that Hilde is also working on a post in which Thorn reacts to Sorona's speech. Since hers seems farther long than mine and would over-lap timewise, I will hold off with my post until Hilde has time to post hers.

Last edited by Ealasaide; 10-02-2004 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:14 AM   #466
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Thanks Ealasaide! Here's the post for Thorn to be placed in post #296. If anyone needs me to change something, please just let me know!
-------------
Thorn

The place picked for Ayar's bier lay in a shallow depression within sight of camp. It was a quiet spot, protected from the wind by a small rise, yet one that afforded a full view to the westering sun. Already a large pile of dry and weathered poles stood ready, and many men were scattered between the camp and this collection, carrying yet more. No one had asked them to bring these things; they simply brought them of their own accord. Whatever they found they could spare, they set there, to be used in the construction.

Thorn was upon the growing structure; working with two others who had volunteered to lash together the last resting place of the Meldakhar among her people, when he saw that an armed man ran from the camp toward them. Shouting in a rapid tongue, the man dodged past those who bore heavy burdens, and the children who gathered dry grass and branches, as he told of a strange eagle forcing its way past the guard outside Mumtaz's tent, intent upon speaking to the gathering of elders there.

Swinging down off the bier to meet the guard, and after a brief exchange, Thorn found that all was well, and that this eagle had something of great import that she felt a need to share immediately. And he found that Narika was already there, when he rushed back the camp to see what this might be. She stood speaking with one of the guards posted, for she too had been called to the tent of Mumtaz, the elder. Without a word he drew back the tent flap, so that they might enter the assembly together. The tent was orderly, and the body of elders grew quiet as they came in. All was as it should be, but there standing poised before the group, a large bird stood, silhouetted against a shaft of light that slanted down from the roof vents, falling brightly onto the table of brass all were gathered around. The fragrance of incense still hung heavily in the air. "We came as soon as we were told," Thorn said eying the eagle warily, as he moved to the spot where, at Fador direction, a place was made for them within the ring of elders.

When they were well seated upon the floor, opposite the table from him, Fador proceeded, explaining that they were just ready to hear what this eagle, Sorona, was eager to relate. Noting the name, Thorn glanced briefly to Barakah, who patiently awaiting the message. And Amalik, a thin and quiet member of the group with an equally thin beard, seeing that the younger man’s eyes searched the faces around him, leaned over, so that his lips were near Thorn’s ear. "This is the lost daughter of Thoronda, who has come seeking the counsel of the elders," he heard the man whisper. Nodding his understanding, Thorn too turned his attention to her, wondering that she should choose to present herself before them in this aspect. But soon he was taken up by her words, and found her vision both strange and troubling.

Sorona ended with a deep bow of respect, extending an offer of help. A murmur arose as the elders spoke to one another discussing what she had told them. Thorn took the opportunity to question Amalik, speaking behind the back of his hand. “Is this truly the same Sorona who was given into the wolf clan? Or could it be that this woman only claims her name, as Dakarai suggests, and is actually a spy or perhaps comes to draw us more peacefully within Wyrma’s grasp.”

“She possesses the same turn of phase, and despite her form, her manner speaks much of the young woman she was, as well as of her father. I do not doubt that it is Sorona, though she has changed greatly. But having said this, she is no longer one of us, but of the wolf clan, and that gives me pause.” Thorn nodded again, looking down at the floor as he listened.

“We have heard rumor of this new city,” Mumtaz spoke, his deep voice rising above the others. “But it does not mean it is the city of your vision. Perhaps it was Umbar you saw, for that town is known to be dangerous.”

“It was not before the gates of the port, that this battle took place, but those of another walled city, and with a great loss of life,” Sorona said. “Can you not see that this is a warning to us all? Surely we must do what we can to stem this and without delay!”

Fador then spoke, “We do not interfere in the business of those of us who have chosen to leave our traditional ways.”

“And we prefer they not interfere with us, but if they would wage war among themselves, whose side are we to be on?” Hadya added, looking around to all the elders. “How could we hope to stop what we cannot understand?”

“Perhaps there is no need to take sides, indeed our odds would be better if we did not,” Harith interjected. “This is what you mean, if I am not mistaken?” he said addressing Sorona, who nodded to him in return.

“But what if in trying to avert this thing we are the ones to bring it about?” Thorn mused. “We are not much loved by that city’s founder.”

Barakah also gazed at the eagle thoughtfully. “Though it may appear so, Sorona,” she finally said, “we have not abandoned our fellow maenwaith. But it is our belief that to hold any in this unnatural cage Wyrma is building, will led to death. It is inevitable, though by what means it arrives I cannot say. And yet some clans will still choose to live within those confines, thinking they will prosper. We have tried to dissuade some of those who would go, and with some success. This has always been our strategy, but of greater concern to me is the shadow you speak of.”
Old 10-03-2004, 09:31 AM   #467
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Hilde

Your above post is on board!

~*~ Pio
Old 10-03-2004, 12:21 PM   #468
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Thank you Miss Pio!
Old 10-04-2004, 03:09 PM   #469
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

My pleasure, HB!

My post #300 is now filled in.

~*~ Pio
Old 10-05-2004, 05:26 AM   #470
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

I have added this post for Hasrim to post #285

~*~*~

Hasrim

Hasrim’s outward expression remained the usual unreadable blank canvas that betrayed nothing, As he watched his cousin lay down to rest. But inside he was reeling! It seemed his young cousin was developing a conscious, or at least a doubt, that he had failed to prepare for and now the young man was determined to stay out here letting that doubt feaster and infect him and the fact that Kor had also questioned him openly in front of Tinar grated at him. He could ill afford to loss his cousins trust not now, not when they were so close…But that Kor still did not trust the Gondorians was the only consolation in this unfortunate turn of events.

As he rolled up his bedding and securely strapped it to his horse he silently contemplated how he could turn these events to his advantage. The slight vestiges of a sly grin escaped his lips as he remembered his uncle telling him that not all of the eagles were their enemies, there was one he said who was sympathetic to their cause and would help if he thought it to his advantage! And even as Hasrim sat down to eat the cold breakfast young Tinar had prepared his thoughts cunningly turned to how he could use this information to his advantage and how he could slip away to speak with this friend amongst traitors, without rousing the suspicions of his cousin or the young wyrmling!
Old 10-07-2004, 02:13 PM   #471
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sorry I did not get my Saves filled as planned. I had a problem come up late Sunday with my health and have spent the last several days kind of goofy from the medications that were prescribed as a result. Hopefully I will be getting my brain back soon!

Sorry to be holding things up. I'm done with the worst of the meds now, so hopefully I will be back to writing by tomorrow & will be able, at least, to fill in the reaction of the Elders.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:36 PM   #472
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Hope you feel better soon!

~*~ Pio
Old 10-07-2004, 03:48 PM   #473
Child of the 7th Age

Ealasaide -

Sorry you don't feel well.

Pio -

Could you please put this in your save for the evening? I believe it is #299. Many thanks.

I have also put up another save....

Aiwendil awoke with a start and sat upright, staring off into the shadows. The glare of the mid-day sun had vanished, replaced by a sky that was dusky grey with the first stars of evening visible overhead. For a single instant, the old man forgot why he was sitting here and what had happened earlier in the day. Then he glanced down and spied a lone grayish brown feather of considerable length half buried in the sand. The istar bent down to retrieve it and tucked the plume well under his belt as a silent reminder of the pledge he had made that afternoon.

Aiwendil turned and trotted towards the lights of camp, anxious to hurry back and talk to Rôg. Cutting through the tangle of tents and maenwaith , he overheard snatches of conversation between friends and family who were gathered near the funeral bier. People spoke of Ayar’s warmth and kindness and how much she was already missed. They also railed against the villian who had done this thing and exchanged puzzled whispers about Sorona’s dream and what it might mean to the clan.

Several onlookers mentioned a rumor that a Great Eagle had been spotted at mid-day, tracing majestic circles high over the camp at a time when most maenwaith were inside eating their noon meal or resting from the heat of the day. Only a few had actually seen the great bird, and many who had not argued that these others were wholly mistaken: it was nothing more than an illusion brought on by grief or an over lengthy stay in the sun. Yet some disagreed and said that the Eagle was a positive portent for the struggle yet to come.

Aiwendil cringed a bit when he heard this part of the discussion. Lengthening his strides, he soon arrived at the tent, which was set back a ways from the main bustle of the camp. He pushed aside the flap and walked inside. Inviting odors coming from a small stewpot on the coals greeted him, but his companion Rôg was nowhere nearby. Nor did he see the guard who usually stayed somewhere in the vicinity of the tent. Aiwendil bent down to retrieve his heavy cloak that had somehow come to be sitting on a mat in the middle of the floor. To his surprise, a piece of parchment fluttered out of its folds, revealing a short note written in a scholar’s neat script. He picked it up and read.

Some minutes later, the istar set down the note and sighed. He had known for some time that Rôg planned to leave. Despite the young man’s reticence to speak too openly, he could clearly read it in his restless eyes. Something was bothering Rôg, and it was not something that Aiwendil knew how to fix. The istar hoped that his friend would be able to find his answer by returning back to his family and clan.

Still, he knew he would miss him even more than he cared to admit. Aiwendil had managed on his own many times before and had usually sought solace by seeking out the companionship of birds and beasts. This time, though, his thoughts were quite different. His fingers strayed to the grey and brown feather hidden underneath his belt. The istar let his mind drift out over the camp and tried to pinpoint the one person he most needed to see. He glimpsed her standing off by herself perched on a rock and peering up at the stars. Aiwendil buried the last of the smoldering coals under a handful of sand and then hastily sprang to his feet. His cloak lay tossed on the floor, his dinner untouched and forgotten, as he left the tent and went off in search of Ráma.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 10-08-2004 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:41 AM   #474
Child of the 7th Age

Question

Hilde, Nerindel-

Have we left the morning meeting of the Elders too open ended as far as Sorona's report of her dream goes? Do we need more of a resolution here, even a temporary one?

Please check the pm I sent this evening and see what you think. Thanks.

~Cami
Old 10-08-2004, 02:38 AM   #475
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Cami

Your post is placed.

~*~ Pio
Old 10-08-2004, 06:43 AM   #476
Child of the 7th Age

Thumbs up

Pio -

Thanks Pio for doing that. Here's hoping that Rôg has a good trip!

Nerindel and Hilde -

That was fast! I have another pm winging back to you.

Cami
Old 10-08-2004, 09:20 AM   #477
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Child~
Quote:
Originally posted by Child :Hilde, Nerindel-
Have we left the morning meeting of the Elders too open ended as far as Sorona's report of her dream goes? Do we need more of a resolution here, even a temporary one?
I was planning to post here, too, with Fador and the Elders. Do I need to know anything of what is happening in the PMs??

Thanks, Pio! Feeling better already.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:10 AM   #478
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

I will fill you in Ealasaide. E-mail on the way!
Old 10-08-2004, 10:50 AM   #479
Child of the 7th Age

Ealasaide,

My apologies Ealasaide... I wasn't sure who was doing what and didn't know that you planned to do more.

The only thing that was mentioned in the pms (by me) was eventually to get some sense of overall closure to the scene. I had mentioned to Hilde and Nerindel that this might simply be to have the Elders, whatever their individual disagreements might be, agree to deal more throughly with the issue after the days of mourning. (This was the meeting we'd discussed earlier where decisions will be made on what the clan is actually doing.) But none of this is set in stone and you can spin it any way you want....

I know how crummy it is to try and write when you feel slightly under the weather. So take your time to do this until you are feeling better.

Cami
Old 10-08-2004, 12:41 PM   #480
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Thumbs up

Thanks Hilde and Cami! I will do my best to have something up in the next day or so.