The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
Dryson Bennington
Newly Deceased

Dryson Bennington has just left Hobbiton.
Male and Female Orcs

I have long been a fan of Tolkiens work. I have also played MERP or Middle Earth Role Playing and there are no such things as female or male orcs for that matter.
Orcs were created by dark magics not typical sexual reproduction. Therefore any notions of ORCS having children and being social creatures is not true. They were created for the soul purpose of war and destruction nothing else. Various groups of ORCS were created to perform various tasks. Some were engineers crafting ugly but very sturdy machines of war. Others were armourers who job it was to create weapons of war for the Morgoth Horde. But they were all created to fight and kill anything that was against their masters (Sauron) wishes and desires of control.

The only notion that I see occuring here is so called Tolkien fans caught not by the true nature of the story itself but by social engineers attempt to label a group of real life people to fit the method of a fantasy story to make them feel liek the story is actually real when it is not.

.....One ring to rule them all.
Dryson Bennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
So, how does the Orc population grow in, say, the Misty Mountains?
Old 01-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
(Wrong section )

Dryson, I'm wondering what you're basing your assertion on? The only evidence I've found in the books has pointed towards normal reproduction. Although female Orcs are not mentioned, it doesn't mean they don't exist. In fact, Dwarf women were very nearly not mentioned at all, but we know they exist.

Orcs are accepted to be Elves who were captured and corrupted shortly after their "awakening". So says the Silmarillion.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Vaine
Haunting Spirit

Vaine has just left Hobbiton.
I agree with what Beregond said, I'd like to see what you've based yours facts on.
Vaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
We could probably have a lively discussion about trolls as well; since they were made as a mockery of the Onodrim, does that mean there were she-trolls? We just don't know!
Old 01-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Well, we know there were half-orcs and goblin-men, half-breeds in the service of Saruman, so it is apparent they had working sexual apparatuses. In addition, Bolg, the GoblinKing of the Hobbit, had a father named Azog who was king during the Orc and Dwarf War.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryson Bennington View Post
The only notion that I see occuring here is so called Tolkien fans caught not by the true nature of the story itself but by social engineers attempt to label a group of real life people to fit the method of a fantasy story to make them feel liek the story is actually real when it is not.
You have fallen into the 'Tolkien Trap', wherein you make a blanket statement about Tolkien's writing which will then be systematically picked apart by folks who have been discussing the nature of his works for decades (in my case, 30+ years). What you will learn is that you cannot necessarily make blanket statements about Tolkien's work, because there is much ambiguity, dissembling, fogginess, and changing perspectives on the part of the Professor. As Middle-earth grew, he became more muddled, often contradicting himself in an attempt to clarify his earlier work. This makes for great discussions, but not so much for precision and cardinal rules.

Last edited by Morthoron; 01-22-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Morthoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:01 AM   #7
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
(Wrong section )
Indeed - I'm moving the thread to the Novices and Newcomers section of the forum. Please continue reading and discussing there - thanks!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:24 AM   #8
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Pipe

Assuming orcs don't reproduce sexually is falling
into PJ's "mud orc creation" imagery, which I assume
he had to do because of his concept of "instant orc
armies" where you add water and create 10,000
nassty orcsees, as opposed to the book concept of
Saruman's hidden, slow expansion of his armies
(including wargs).

I prefer the Silmarillion concept of orcs as twisted elves,
although there are also arguments for orcs as
twisted men.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
However, Morth, this is one area where Tolkien wasn't muddled; although he was all over the place as to Orcs' ultimate origin, he never contradicted his outright declaration that Orcs reproduced 'after the manner of the Children of Iluvatar.' WRT Saruman's hybrids he went so far as to assert that Men could be so debased as to be induced to "mate" with Orcs- which is about as close to sexual explicitness as the old man would ever come.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Dryson– welcome to the Downs– though this is perhaps not the best way to welcome you.

At the risk of sounding like a "me-too"– what you are asserting comes not from anything Tolkien wrote but from the film version of LotR and perhaps from some game or other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryson Bennington View Post
Sorry, but what does that mean? It actually sounds like you're saying Orcs are "a group of real life people".

Last edited by Nerwen; 01-23-2009 at 10:30 AM. Reason: fixed bolding
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #11
Boo Radley
Wight

Boo Radley has just left Hobbiton.
I just had a terrifying thought.

Orc blind dates.

What could be scarier?

Talk about nightmare fuel...
Old 01-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Orc blind dates.

What could be scarier?
Orc honeymoons? Talk about 'bumping uglies!'

Orc birth? The witch-doctor slaps the mother.

Orc periods? Keep sharp objects away at that time of the month, or else unleash the amazons on Gondor.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:19 PM   #13
Boo Radley
Wight

Orc weddings?

"With this ring, I thee wed..."

"Ring? RING???"

"No, Honey! It's not THE...arrrgghhhhh......glug...

I'm surprised they could even GET to the honeymoon!
Old 01-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #14
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Orc weddings? Big deal.

You want ugly? How about orc divorces?
Old 01-31-2009, 01:59 PM   #15
Boo Radley
Wight

Orc divorces?

Hmmm...

I imagine they're quite uncomplicated, legally.
Everything's split right down the middle.

Probably with an axe.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #16
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well, we know that Bolg is the son of Azog. Isn't that proof enough that orcs are born?
Old 02-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #17
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Orc spawning - a bit nasty!

Hi all, I came across this on another forum for a chap who claimed to have seen some of the unreleased Marquette papers, be aware it's fairly gory...

Quote:
Tolkien was not happy with the Orc creation stories because they all took him to places that he felt that no sane person should ever consider, and he remarked to himself once "How can I ever have allowed myself to consider this." on the side of a page that was remarking on how Orc Farming might be accomplished.

He did eventually rule out the breeding of Orcs by natural means (that means no female Orcs, ever), and stated that no Elven woman would allow herself to conceive such a monstrosity, and that humans who had been successfully impregnated by Orcs would usually die of the pregnancy (there is a crossed out bit that looks to read "Except in cases where the woman…"). I speculate that he might have suggested that very corrupted and evil human women might survive a pregnancy from an Orc fertilization, but the really awful part is that any such offspring would only be chopped up to be used as seed or fertilizer for other Orcs being grown in the pits of filth where they are farmed (with various other ingredients added during the gestation in their womb of filth in order to specialize the crop). This is where the addition of human remains would be important to the creation of your "Man-Orc" or Uruk-Hai, but even this would take many generations. Maybe 20 years for five to ten generations, depending upon the quality of Orc wanted, the longer the time, the better the quality of Orc. So, Uruks would probably be four to five years per generation. That is still a very short time to breed Orcs, as a HUGE Army could be raised in relatively short times.

Also, many of the Orcs in a batch might not make it, or they might be cannibalized as food by those "Hatching" early.

So, yes, Tolkien thought that it was best left to the Imagination. PJ in the movies did use the same passages that I read to show the "birthing pits" beneath Isengard when he was raising the Uruk-Hai
I can't really vouch for this, but what do you think?

Of course JRRT never published anything like this, so its canonicity is effectively zero in comparison with 'Bolg son of Azog'.

PS. happy to edit or cut this if you reckon its too graphic for the Downs

Last edited by Rumil; 02-06-2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: ps
Rumil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:29 AM   #18
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
White-Hand Interesting...

It's possible that orcs used slave women to multiply. Or they could use the women of Khand, Harad, Rhun, and the other places that were under the dominion of Sauron. It could be part of their agreement that these countries would send a certain numer of women on a monthly basis, or something.

I find a few drawbacks to this theory, though.

a) How do they keep orc features? Crossing a human with an orc will give you something like Ferny's southener, or at least like the Uruk-hai. But if an orc is only 1/32 orc and the rest human - wouldn't he look human?
OK, so it says that they add filth to keep the appearance, but wouldn't the character also change? Become something more honourable?

b) How do they have enough women? I don't think there are enough slave women in either Mordor or Isengard to triple the army's size. And they'd have to depopulate the surrounding kingdoms of females if they get the women from aliances. All women die after giving birth to an orc, so they need thousands of women. Where do they get them?

There was something else, but I can't remember.

The argument I have for Bolg son of Azog is that they were goblins. I think that goblins have a different origin than orcs, and they might breed differently.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 02-09-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #19
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Silmaril The Tolkien Trap Redux!

Quote:
The argument I have for Bolg son of Azog is that they were goblins. I think that goblins have a different origin than orcs, and they might breed differently.
No evidence for that, as far as I'm aware, but anyway "Bolg son of Azog" appears in a completed text published in Tolkien's lifetime– as "canonical" as it gets. (Meanwhile, "Azog the father of Bolg" shows up in the LoTR appendices.)

This, if not simply a hoax, as for all we know it may be, is merely one of Tolkien's numerous abortive retcons. He was given to sketching out radical changes to be made to his Legendarium, then abandoning them after a paragraph or two– often, no doubt, because it became clear they were unworkable. The many contradictory versions of the origin and nature of Orcs are a case in point.

Because of all this the "last known version is always the 'true' one" approach is very problematic indeed when applied to Tolkien's writing. The man was quite capable of suddenly jotting down on the back of an envelope:
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R.Tolkien, in an as yet unpublished manuscript
Elven 'horses' in truth more nearly resembled unicorns. This was of course well known to Aragorn, who showed no surprise at Asfaloth's horn. Frodo's failure to remark on it is harder to explain, but may be attributed to his limited power of observation..."
Old 02-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #20
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'm sure it's been posted at the BarrowDowns already, but a letter came up for sale at an auction on 11 and 12 July, 2002. It's dated 21 October 1963, and is addressed to a Mrs Munby in response to a number of questions posed by her son Stephen about The Lord of the Rings. The letter is long, but in one place it reads as follows:

Quote:
'There must have been orc-women. But in stories that seldom if ever see the Orcs except as soldiers of armies in the service of the evil lords we naturally would not learn much about their lives. Not much was known'.

JRRT, 1963
As William Hicklin noted, once Tolkien decided that Morgoth could not 'create' but must pervert something into orcs, he seemed pretty consistent that orcs reproduced sexually, despite that he waffled about stock. For myself, I would need more proof than this person's description (quoted by Rumil above) -- noting that we would here have an unpublished paper (or notes) that Hammond and Scull for example, had yet to see.

And for those who give great weight to 'latest if unpublished' these notes (if truly extant) should also date to after 1963-ish, considering the letter above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55
This is a nomenclature issue though. Not only is 'goblin' said to be used as a translation for orc (same things, two different words), but Azog himself is referred to as an orc in the Appendices to The Lord of the Rings.

By the way, from what other forum does Rumil's quote come from?

Last edited by Galin; 02-07-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #21
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Eye Go not to the internets for they will say both no and yes

Hi all,

I find myself agreeing with Nerwen and Galin that this is either a bit made up or a rejected idea. And of course that orcs=goblins (in pretty much every respect save size perhaps).

Here's the link to the thread http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=199809 from TMP, a site about wargaming.

The keen-eyed will spot that I am Timbo W
Old 02-08-2011, 02:37 AM   #22
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Apropos of almost nothing–

I keep returning to this last sentence and vainly trying to work out what on earth the original poster was trying to say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryson Bennington
Both troubling and strangely fascinating– it looks like it means something, but what?

Also, I'm curious as to the source of the detailed yet seemingly non-Tolkienien statements he makes with such assurance. A game? A fan-fic? One of the dodgier wikis?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:41 AM   #23
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thanks for the link Rumil. One quibble however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil
(...) And of course that orcs=goblins (in pretty much every respect save size perhaps).
Many people seem to think goblins are smaller than orcs, but there are large goblins in The Hobbit for example: 'Out jumped the goblins, big goblins, great ugly-looking goblins, lots of goblins, before you can say rocks and blocks.' (Over Hill And Under Hill), and even in The Lord of the Rings, Saruman's Uruks are referred to as goblin-soldiers.

But even without these examples (others could be raised) the real difficulty with the idea that 'goblin' has been reserved for smaller kinds is the matter of translation: I often use hund and 'dog' in illustration because there are all kinds of dogs, large, small, (whatever), and various kinds of orcs as well... and if one has two texts for example, one German one English, where the original German word hund has been translated with English 'dog' -- why would anything think that a 'dog' is smaller or larger than a hund?

The idea in theory (Appendix F 'On Translation') is that the above statement from The Hobbit ('Out jumped the goblins...') is a fully English translation of something in Westron -- but we know one of the original words here, because we know 'goblin' has been used to translate orc. The arguably confusing thing is: in The Hobbit the word orc has usually been translated with 'goblin', while in The Lord of the Rings, there are probably many more instances of orc than goblin (I never counted instances of orc! but I'm guessing they outweigh instances of goblin).

In theory this is due to the translator, and would be like Tolkien saying that he preferred the word 'hund' and so used it even in the English account along with dog. This is 'perfectly Tolkien' as an explanation too, as we know he was a lover of languages and like to create languages -- someone who is finely attuned to words, how they sound, and 'sound-sense'.

So whatever the numbers of 'goblin' or orc in both books, the explanation JRRT landed on was that one is an original word (Quendi), the other is an English translation ('Elves'). I note that JRRT published this explanation in a later edition of The Hobbit, only after Appendix F had appeared in print, thus after he had fully landed on the conceit that these tales had been translated from an original Westron.

This finally provided the answer to explain 'goblin' in both books, and is in accord with the examples from both stories.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #24
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
This is a bit similar to the confusion I get when some ME related sources, including possibly the Appendix itself (it's been a while since I read it som I'm not 100% sure) equate the Uruk-Hai with the term "Hobgoblin". This seems counter intuitive since the Hobgoblins are usually described as smaller and less dangerous than goblins whereas the Uruk-hai are of course bigger and more dangerous (I not that even Wikipedia makes not of this inconsistency). If you believe that 1. Hob means something along the lines of "half" and 2. the Uruk-hai are actually Orc-Human Hybrids, it would make lingustic sense, but it still seem counter intuitive.
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #25
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen
Because of all this the "last known version is always the 'true' one" approach is very problematic indeed when applied to Tolkien's writing. The man was quite capable of suddenly jotting down on the back of an envelope:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by J.R.R.Tolkien, in an as yet unpublished manuscript
Elven 'horses' in truth more nearly resembled unicorns. This was of course well known to Aragorn, who showed no surprise at Asfaloth's horn. Frodo's failure to remark on it is harder to explain, but may be attributed to his limited power of observation..."
That's curious, I wonder if that text is from the same collection that I stumbled upon when digging through the vaults of Oxford University last spring. This little gem contained some pretty revolutionary stuff regarding the relationship of Morgoth and Hurin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by J.R.R.Tolkien, in an as yet unpublished manuscript
...and Hurin [having escaped from his prison cell] grabbed a sword from the fallen guard and made his way up towards the surface of the mountain. Stealthily he made his way through the many halls and tunnels, ever upwards, until finally he saw a glimmer of the light of day through a high passage gate, and his heart leaped with joy. But alas, as he made his final steps towards freedom the doors shut with a heavy clang and darkness fell once again. In front of Hurin towered Morgoth himself, ironclad, armed with a great sword, Silmarils ablaze on his iron crown.
But Hurin the Steadfast was not daunted, there was a fierce rage flaming in his chest and with a terrible war-cry he hewed with his sword, intending to strike down his enemy. The two blades met with a bang, and the room was lit up by thousands of red and white sparks shooting through the air, and as the shadows returned so verily the two remained, in a stalemate, sword to sword.

Morgoth then spoke:
"Good, good, anger it the path to the Dark Side!"
"I'll never join the Dark Side! I will never join you!!" Hurin yelled.
"But there is something you don't know", said Morgoth, more quietly this time. "Hurin, I am your father!"
Old 02-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #26
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfirin
This is a bit similar to the confusion I get when some ME related sources, including possibly the Appendix itself (it's been a while since I read it som I'm not 100% sure) equate the Uruk-Hai with the term "Hobgoblin".
Tolkien actually never equates these terms (that I'm aware of), but you may be noting this on certain websites. The reason for this would seem to be: in the same explanation (published in later editions of The Hobbit, as noted) that reveals 'goblin' has been used to translate orc, Tolkien adds: or hobgoblin for the larger kinds.

Somewhere (in a letter I believe) I think Tolkien noted that 'hobgoblin' should probably refer to smaller kinds! but he had already published this in any case, to explain the use of this word in The Hobbit, which I think only occurs once. Thus some are equating hobgoblin or 'large goblin' with Saruman's 'larger' goblin soldiers.

And the statement (currently on Wikipedia): 'Tolkien then renamed them [Hobgoblins] as Uruks or Uruk-hai in an attempt to correct his mistake' is someone's opinion, the 'mistake' referring to Tolkien's statement in a letter. To my mind this really needs no correcting in any case, despite any external factors. If 'Hobgoblin' refers to larger kinds within the context of Middle-earth then so be it (in my opinion).

Note again that, despite this explanatory note appearing in The Hobbit it was added to a later edition, so JRRT had not published 'hobgoblin' for 'large goblin' until after he had published a tale in which the Uruk-hai appear. Tolkien would hardly rename Hobgoblins Uruk-hai to correct a 'mistake' he had yet to make.

Quote:
If you believe that 1. Hob means something along the lines of "half" and 2. the Uruk-hai are actually Orc-Human Hybrids, it would make lingustic sense, but it still seem counter intuitive.
What the Uruk-hai really are is quite the debate, but anyway if you are thinking of the word Hobbit (and you need not be of course): internally, yet with reference to an invented translation, Hobbit comes from 'holbytla', so the altered beginning of 'Hobbit' relates to the meaning 'hole'.

Even though a Hobbit (a kuduk) is a halfling (banakil)!

It's nicely confusing

Last edited by Galin; 02-08-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:09 PM   #27
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
Tolkien actually never equates these terms (that I'm aware of), but you may be noting this on certain websites. The reason for this would seem to be: in the same explanation (published in later editions of The Hobbit, as noted) that reveals 'goblin' has been used to translate orc, Tolkien adds: or hobgoblin for the larger kinds.

Somewhere (in a letter I believe) I think Tolkien noted that 'hobgoblin' should probably refer to smaller kinds! but he had already published this in any case, to explain the use of this word in The Hobbit, which I think only occurs once. Thus some are equating hobgoblin or 'large goblin' with Saruman's 'larger' goblin soldiers.

And the statement (currently on Wikipedia): 'Tolkien then renamed them [Hobgoblins] as Uruks or Uruk-hai in an attempt to correct his mistake' is someone's opinion, the 'mistake' referring to Tolkien's statement in a letter. To my mind this really needs no correcting in any case, despite any external factors. If 'Hobgoblin' refers to larger kinds within the context of Middle-earth then so be it (in my opinion).

Note again that, despite this explanatory note appearing in The Hobbit it was added to a later edition, so JRRT had not published 'hobgoblin' for 'large goblin' until after he had published a tale in which the Uruk-hai appear. Tolkien would hardly rename Hobgoblins Uruk-hai to correct a 'mistake' he had yet to make.

What the Uruk-hai really are is quite the debate, but anyway if you are thinking of the word Hobbit (and you need not be of course): internally, yet with reference to an invented translation, Hobbit comes from 'holbytla', so the altered beginning of 'Hobbit' relates to the meaning 'hole'.

Even though a Hobbit (a kuduk) is a halfling (banakil)!

It's nicely confusing
Pretty convincing, though if you assume the "hob" is from the same root as hobbit, it actually makes a stronger case for the little unimproved ones to be the Hobgoblins; the "gobins of the hole" or "who live in holes" i.e. the ones who are still affected by/afraid of light.

I usually interpret the "hai" suffix as being something along the lines of "great", "fierce", or "improved". After all we do have at least one other name with the same suffix, Olog-Hai (the souped up, can't be turned to stone as long as the power is there, trolls Sauron makes use of). Off the top of my head I can;t think of a case where "Olog" is used on it's own for a non-souped up troll (then again once you get past the Hobbit, where these terms haven't been used yet, you don't meet a lot of non-souped up trolls) but presumably that is what they are called. The Orcs also call the Drunedain "Oghor-Hai" despite the fact they are smaller than most men, but given how good the Drunedain are at killing Orcs this could be "hai" being used in the context of "fierce". Presumably, in Black speech, Wargs are likely referred to as "(whatever the Black Speech word for "wolf" is)"-"Hai" as well.

Last edited by Alfirin; 02-08-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:39 PM   #28
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

As for Hobgoblin I just think Tolkien chose an existing 'goblin word' from the Primary World and used it -- however 'wrongly' he thought he had applied it, after publication. Plus I don't know (I'm not a trained linguist myself) how accurate it is to say 'hob-' means 'hole' based on hobbit.

Holbytla means 'Hole-builder', and hobbit is a theoretical worn-down form of this word. Someone on line (elsewhere) posted that this type of assimilation (l becoming b, as it appears has occured at least) is common enough in languages, but I haven't really had time to look into this myself.

Anyway as far as -hai goes we now know it means 'folk' due to Words, Phrases, and Passages.

So Uruk-hai means 'orc-folk' -- but since uruk 'orc' became distinguished from snaga it means 'great-soldier orc-folk'
Old 02-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #29
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
As for Hobgoblin I just think Tolkien chose an existing 'goblin word' from the Primary World and used it -- however 'wrongly' he thought he had applied it, after publication. Plus I don't know (I'm not a trained linguist myself) how accurate it is to say 'hob-' means 'hole' based on hobbit

Holbytla means 'Hole-builder', and hobbit is a theoretical worn-down form of this word. Someone on line (elsewhere) posted that this type of assimilation (l becoming b, as it appears has occured at least) is common enough in languages, but I haven't really had time to look into this myself.

Anyway as far as -hai goes we now know it means 'folk' due to Words, Phrases, and Passages.

So Uruk-hai means 'orc-folk' -- but since uruk 'orc' became distinguished from snaga it means 'great-soldier orc-folk'
So in that case, it may not be proper to use "Uruk-Hai" to describe a single big orc (The phrase "an Uruk-hai" may be incorrect Actually now that I look at it Tolkein never does use it that way, singularly they are "an Uruk") In that case please disregard my latter statements under those circumstances a single souped up troll would be "an Olog" a singe Wose would be an Oghor and a warg would be whatever a Warg was (though it is likey Orcish has a different word for Wargs than ordinary wolves)
Old 02-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #30
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Eye

Very nice one skip!

Alfirin, no disagreement from me re orcs and goblins.

'Hob' appears in all sorts of folklore monster-type names etc http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hob_(folklore) (also see disambiguation page), and 'hobbledehoy' http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-hob1.htm for an ungraceful man, also 'Old Hob' referring to the devil.

I'm surprised JRRT never analysed the philology, maybe he did!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #31
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:

I did know that, actually, and it's one of the reasons I'm sceptical of this fellow Rumil quotes–
Quote:
This is where the addition of human remains would be important to the creation of your "Man-Orc" or Uruk-Hai
Now, while Uglúk & Co. call themselves "Uruk-hai", the word does not mean "Man-Orc hybrid" (and is a plural). So– failing some evidence that Tolkien changed his mind about that one too– I'd say even if this person has come upon some previously unknown document, he's embellished the contents pretty heavily.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #32
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Eye

Hi Nerwen,

I'm rather hoping that you're right, it would be terrible to think that PJ was one-up on the Downer concensus regarding orc-spawning canonicity .
Old 02-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #33
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Good catch Nerwen!

I would also add that The Drúedain belongs to the very late period of Tolkien's writing, and a note to that text reads...

Quote:
'To the unfriendly who, not knowing them well, declared that Morgoth must have bred the Orcs from such a stock the Eldar answered: 'Doubtless Morgoth, since he can make no living thing, bred Orcs from various kinds of Men, but the Drúedain must have escaped his Shadow; for their laughter...'
Sure one can note that this 'origin' is a statement or belief of internal characters in any event... but anyway... we could possibly be into the early 1970s with this one (basically the idea published in the 1977 Silmarillion comes from internal characters as well, who didn't certainly know the true origin of Orcs, despite that it was the Wise of Eressea who believed that captured Elves were the original stock).

Another note from the 1960s reads...

'The Council seems to have been unaware, since for many years Isengard had been closely guarded, of what went on within its Ring. The use, and possibly special breeding, of Orcs was kept secret, and cannot have begun much before 2990 at earliest. The Orc-troops seem never to have been used beyond the territory of Isengard before the attack on Rohan.' UT, The Palantiri, endnote 7

Hmm.

Last edited by Galin; 02-08-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:57 AM   #34
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil View Post
Hi Nerwen,

I'm rather hoping that you're right, it would be terrible to think that PJ was one-up on the Downer concensus regarding orc-spawning canonicity .
Oh, but we've surely misjudged PJ anyway–
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, in a recently-discovered letter to his publisher
Changes to be made in the next edition
  1. Glorfindel's re-appearance in Middle-earth raises too many questions. It might be best to leave him out of the story altogether, and give his role (and unicorn) to another character.
  2. Tom Bombadil is simply an embarrassment. I have no idea what I was thinking of; please remove all chapters in which he appears.
  3. I am also increasingly dissatisfied with Faramir. His nobility is perhaps a little cloying and his rejection of the Ring comes too easily. He must be made more threatening and corrupt. Likewise, I have failed to make Denethor evil and mad enough to be an effective antagonist, and the scene of his death needs to be more dramatic.
  4. Gimli is too grim and serious for a dwarf and needs to be made more amusing.
  5. Frodo is much too stoical– making him complain more would surely render him more sympathetic and 'human'.
  6. Would Théoden's healing carry more weight if he were literally possessed by Saruman?
  7. I see now that it was a mistake to avoid a direct appearance by Sauron– he should appear, but of course in some frightening and symbolic form.
  8. I also regret having the Elves play so small a part in the events of the War. Perhaps a battalion of them could come to the aid of Minas Tirith. (Or Rohan?)
  9. Finally, I have completely changed my ideas on the fate of mortals after death: instead of leaving the Circles of the World, their spirits merely go to Valinor. Perhaps Gandalf could explain this to one or more of the hobbits.

Yours Faithfully,

J.R.R.T.

P.S. Do you think Wargs ought to look more like hyaenas?
Old 02-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #35
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Nerwen, please tell me that's not really there! We've spent years accusing PJ of "over-creativeness", and now you say that JRRT planned all that stuff?!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:57 AM   #36
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
So, yes, Tolkien thought that it was best left to the Imagination. PJ in the movies did use the same passages that I read to show the "birthing pits" beneath Isengard when he was raising the Uruk-Hai
By the way what is this intended to mean? that Jackson used 'the same passages' that this person read... meaning the Marquette papers in question? If so, Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull, authorized by the Tolkien Estate to (recently) write and publish three highly detailed volumes about Tolkien's life and work... somehow missed these papers and notes on 'Orc-farming'?

But Peter Jackson or someone from the films saw them, and Jackson himself never noted this in any of the DVD commentary to explain his 'birthing pits'?
Old 02-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #37
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Quote:
By the way what is this intended to mean? that Jackson used 'the same passages' that this person read... meaning the Marquette papers in question? If so, Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull, authorized by the Tolkien Estate to (recently) write and publish three highly detailed volumes about Tolkien's life and work... somehow missed these papers and notes on 'Orc-farming'?

But Peter Jackson or someone from the films saw them, and Jackson himself never noted this in any of the DVD commentary to explain his 'birthing pits'?
Well, I don't see what else it can mean. Odd, isn't it?
Old 02-12-2011, 03:30 AM   #38
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
There was something else, but I can't remember.
Possibly that cross-breeds are sterile?
Old 02-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #39
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
Possibly that cross-breeds are sterile?
THANK YOU! Now I remember! - Ok, so lets pretend that an orc gets a human woman pregnant. And she has a girl orc (it's a 50-50 thing, unless its some misshapen creature who isn't developed enough to be either gender). Paradoxical, aint it?

I asked a friend of mine who's a doctor if it's possible to somehow change the genes of a person to make it impossible for girls to be born. This is what she told me:
Women have X+X chromosomes; men have X+Y chromosomes. An embrio always gets an X chromosome from its mother. It could get either a Y or an X from its father. The chromosome it gets from the father determines the gender. There is no known way to controll which chromosome will be given. Also, you cannot completely eliminate the X chromosome - you'd get a 'vegetable' person (such orcs are useless).

Conclusion: there must have been orc-girls, and therefore orc-women.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 02-13-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #40
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Conclusion: there must have been orc-girls, and therefore orc-women.
As William Cloud Hicklin said above, since it is said that the Orcs "had life and multiplied after the manner of the Children of Ilúvatar", I would think the existence of females in their population a foregone conclusion.