The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2006, 08:35 AM   #561
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
My muses. Ooh, I like them right now. And yes... I have more than one muse. They've been very petulantly ignoring me lately, leaving me with no idea of what to write or what to photograph, or even with what to do with work I've already done.

Ooh, but they couldn't resist last night. Somebody had the bright idea of teaching me how to make books. The muses sat up and took notice even as I sat lazily cross-legged with a chai latte in the photography department's workroom watching a bit tiredly. Traditional book-binding was interesting, but something that didn't really catch my enthusiasm, even though I politely paid attention. What really caught my eye were books that you could play with.

Borrowing one of her published children's books for a few moments, I figured out how to make one and then impatiently waited for my chance to leave and make one myself. Ooh, I'm a fan.

*thinks of new projects*

Oh, this is going to be fun.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:39 AM   #562
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Finally finally finally getting a simple yet utterly necessary task called getting an ID replacement done, after months of procrastinating on it (not always my fault). It's like having a thorn plucked off my finger.

Being allowed to re-take my ID pic several times because I'm so darn not photogenic, and to rewrite my signature several times because somehow I can't do it properly. Go figure.

Let's leave the ID person out because he was quite creepy.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:33 AM   #563
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
The feeling that you get from knowing that there will be no exams for you for three months at least. It feels just great!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 11:59 AM   #564
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign Mediaeval Banquets. Just to let you know I'm attending one.

Costume-black tights. Big frilly white shirt. Green ugboots. Blue tabard with green fleurs-de-lys and lining. Matching hat. Fleur-de-lysed blue and white shield. Sparkly bling signet ring and brooch.

Real men so do wear jewellery.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:16 PM   #565
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel
Real men so do wear jewellery.

But they don't wear tights....

I am tempted to assign Electricity since ours was off down here last night (and it wasn't me sabotaging the system so that noone could watch the football honest! - more likely the torrential rain that we had - a day before a drought order is lilkely to be enforced).

However the prof wouldn't like it - so I will send bluebells (my garden is full of them) , good news and the kindness of strangers.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:25 PM   #566
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
While we're on a girly theme, I assign the vintage look to the Shire. It allows you to get away with wearing crumpled clothes that have been nowhere near an iron and shocking outfit combinations that even Helena Bonham Carter would shy away from. Plus you can dig out all your old clothes and wear them again even if they are a bit shabby.

I also assign proper British Asparagus to the Shire. I've just eaten a load of Lincolnshire grown spears, all tiny and tender and lovely.

And sudden storms too. Not the vicious kind, but the sort that blow up suddenly like one did this afternoon. Everyone had settled into a sleepy, post-lunch atmosphere and all of a sudden people were jumping up to secure the windows, gawping at the rain coming down sideways and discussing whether an umbrella would be any use.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:31 PM   #567
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign having amazing and crazy friends who introduce you to all sorts of equally amazing and crazy music.

I assign the end of allergy season! I can wear my contacts again!

And I assign All Your Base, because it really never gets old.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:20 PM   #568
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
I assign the end of allergy season! I can wear my contacts again!
Hear, hear! While I don't wear contacts, being able to open my windows or go outdoors and actually enjoy the nice weather without a throbbing headache or itchy eyes or sneezing makes me one happy Fea.

I assign grilled cheese with tomato. Mm...
Old 05-18-2006, 10:05 PM   #569
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Fondue night for Food for Finals! Except, once I brought mine back to my room to work on my paper more, I dropped a strawberry top on my laptop screen and now it's smudged and ugly-looking. It's sad. But I don't think it's hurt too badly, and, besides, I got free chocolate and free strawberries!
Old 05-18-2006, 11:17 PM   #570
Elonve
Wight

Elonve has just left Hobbiton.
Bacon, Letteuce, Tomato Sandwich.
Real brocolli. Pesto.
Real french bread bathed in olive oil and home made cheese.
Mac and Cheese in front of the Telly.
Rugby!!
________
STARCRAFT 2 1.0 REPLAY

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Elonve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:57 AM   #571
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Spending the whole day messing around with both friends and teachers, because the boundaries aren't there anymore and you can just get on with each other!

Well, except one teacher who is still expecting a piece of coursework from me
Old 05-19-2006, 10:18 AM   #572
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Leaf

Snowhobbits.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:42 AM   #573
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

Good thing hobbits live in the Shire as we've sent a large quantity of food there...though they may have to relinquish their agricultural ways...

Anyway, I went on a walk this morning that was completely a Shire walk. The cool morning air, the soft, green trees, the playful squirrels, and the elegent geese with their absolutely adorable goslings fit the Shire (or Shire-esque feelings) perfectly! I came back with the first real smile in a very long time.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:08 PM   #574
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Accidentally buying a top a size smaller than the one you thought you could get away with and it fitting just fine.... encouragement enough to persist with the live on nuts and berries GI thing.... just don't tell me it was a labelling error it, made my day

Old 05-20-2006, 07:04 PM   #575
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I assign the customers_suck livejournal. It's great to read it, and realize "Hey! My job is great!". And it's also great to read of horrid customers getting yelled at. (The language quite often used I shall abstain from assigning, however.)

Last edited by Oddwen; 05-20-2006 at 07:14 PM.
Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 12:01 AM   #576
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Narya

Simply put....fishing. I just love sitting beside a lake or in a boat fishing for hours. It doesn't even matter if I don't catch anything(not that that happens very often) it is just completely relaxing.....especially when the sun starts to set and you know the fish are going to start to bite soon.....*sigh*
Naria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:14 AM   #577
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Opera. Or at least Verdi. Yes, I liked it.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:24 AM   #578
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Which one? Rigoletto?

I assign Don Carlos in particular to avoid this post being skwerl-worthy.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:51 AM   #579
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Otello for me.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:52 AM   #580
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
La Traviata
Old 05-21-2006, 08:01 AM   #581
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
I'm rather partial to Il Trovatore and Rigoletto myself, though La Traviata was the first of the Verdi operas I saw...

I assign Donizetti operas. L'Elisir d'Amore and Lucia di Lammermore are highly recommended. Una Furtiva Lagrima is such a beautiful aria.

And Rossini operas too. They're wonderful - I can probably hum most of The Barber of Seville from memory from listening to it so much. But don't ask me to sing - my voice isn't exactly operatic and probably belongs in Mordor.

Actually, I'll assign all of the Bel Canto composers. Bellini isn't performed nearly as much as deserved.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:35 AM   #582
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

I thoroughly endorse Lucia di Lammermore...

The cast names alone! Lord Enrico di Ravenswood!
Old 05-21-2006, 11:25 AM   #583
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Agreed. I was fortunate enough to attend a Royal Opera performance of Lucia where they had a proper glass harmonica for the mad scene. An instrument so rare, with a sound so sublime, that it belongs, in itself, in the Shire.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:45 AM   #584
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
Agreed. I was fortunate enough to attend a Royal Opera performance of Lucia where they had a proper glass harmonica for the mad scene. An instrument so rare, with a sound so sublime, that it belongs, in itself, in the Shire.
Now that sounds spectacular! I love the mad scene (Anna Moffo was the soprano in the recording I have), but never heard it with the glass harmonica. Sadly.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:02 PM   #585
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
You are so lucky - one of my favourite pieces of music, the Mozart Fantasia in F minor, was composed for glass harmonica but I have only heard it on the organ (albeit played by someone who is now Kapellmeister in a german cathedral...).

I rather like baroque opera - Handel's Rodelinda particularly. Nice to get a tenor villain and I am a counter-tenor fan (claim to fame meeting Andreas Scholl).
Handel at least must go to the Shire - ifnot for his opera for Zadok and Messiah....

Old 05-21-2006, 01:06 PM   #586
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Now, now, don't overwhelm me, folks! This was but a first introduction to the medium for me. Heh, heh...I had an invitation to join the company...but I turned it down.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:55 PM   #587
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I assign the Millenium Library.

To celebrate the turn of the century, the British government, in co-operation with the National Lottery, donated each secondary school in Britain a collection of books called the "Millenium Library."

This Millenium Library contains most of the "great books" of the last two thousand years, spanning from Virgil's Aeneid to Orwell's 1984, with everything in between. There's literally loads of books... probably more than a hundred. And all classics. And all in one place. And all free to loan. With no fees for lateness.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:15 PM   #588
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
While we're on the topic of opera...

... Renee Fleming. I'm not a huge opera fan but her lovely voice makes it enjoyable for me. Plus, she's an alumnus of the college I'm going to, so that's sweet too.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:29 PM   #589
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
Given that I'm fairly ignorant about opera...

I'll change the topic, with permission from the rest of you pending, to gardening. There are few nicer things than doing some gardening with your dad. Unless it involves picking up leaves (which given the amount of trees we used to have was a real pain) or mowing the lawn (as the mower makes so much noise it's impossible to talk over it). But other than that, it's pure joy.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:09 PM   #590
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
I assign thorough surprise, and the promise of starting something new!

I was offered a job that I thought I wouldn't be offered after a surprising interview mishap (that was promptly sent to Mordor ).

I'll now be a Trainee Claims and Injury Asessor at a Worker's Compensation Insurance company in Sydney city. Very nifty title, and what looks to be a tough but rewarding job. *smiles*

It's full-time, so I may have a little more trouble than usual juggling in Barrow Down's time, but I'll manage. You can't keep me away!

Tara
Taralphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:22 AM   #591
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
I'll change the topic, with permission from the rest of you pending, to gardening. There are few nicer things than doing some gardening with your dad. Unless it involves picking up leaves (which given the amount of trees we used to have was a real pain) or mowing the lawn (as the mower makes so much noise it's impossible to talk over it). But other than that, it's pure joy.
Oooh, that takes me back! I spent many a happy hour working in the vegetable plot with my dad! The only nasty thing was he used to get me to pick the runner beans because I could crawl under the plants, and I used to get all the bugs in my hair. He also got me to pick all the gooseberries because my little fingers got stabbed by the nasty thorns less often! And I was expected to help out with my grandad, who grew all kinds of salad and herbs in his fields, but at least he gave me wages, unlike my dad!

I assign to The Shire, the smell of fresh Strawberries. I've got some here (so now davem knows what's for pudding later) and I can't stop sniffing them.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:26 AM   #592
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:

Interesting idea. However, given the armonica's association with insanity, perhaps that instrument was played excessively in Gondor until it affected Denethor--the staltwart, healthy hobbits being more impervious to such disorders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
One example of fear from playing the glass armonica was noted by a German musicologist Friedrich Rochlitz in Allgemeine Musikalische Zeitung where it is stated that "the armonica excessively stimulates the nerves, plunges the player into a nagging depression and hence into a dark and melancholy mood that is apt method for slow self-annihilation. If you are suffering from any nervous disorder, you should not play it; if you are not yet ill you should not play it; if you are feeling melancholy you should not play it."
Old 05-24-2006, 10:11 PM   #593
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Painting parties. They're definitely more fun than should be legal. My robotics team got almost as much paint on ourselves as on the walls of our build site.

Formal dinner parties. Especially how amazing it is that only 48 hours after our paint-covered adventures, my team was able to all appear formally dressed (on a school night, no less!) to host a dinner party for all our mentors to thank them for all their hard work and help.

Car rides at night just after it's rained with the windows down and your hair blowing around. The fact that the person giving me a ride home was someone whose company I quite enjoy didn't hurt either.

Perhaps I should just save a lot of time and assign my whole robotics team and everything having to do with it to the Shire.

I also assign prom. Sure, everyone says it's overrated, but I had a lot of fun, even without a date. The only bad thing was the weather (35-40 degrees F and raining) and the great discomfort caused by my high heels.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:57 AM   #594
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

I assign Ascension Day. It's great not to have school in the middle of a week.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:37 PM   #595
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
White asparagus.

I bet Hobbits would love a vegetable that grows underground! Especially when served with new taters, Sauce Hollandaise, and smoked ham...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:48 PM   #596
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
White asparagus.

I bet Hobbits would love a vegetable that grows underground! Especially when served with new taters, Sauce Hollandaise, and smoked ham...
It looks like all kinds of asparagus are in The Shire! I've already sent the green type! I've never had the white kind as you just get the green/violet type here which we all devour for those few weeks it's available. I think it's suitable for The Shire too, as it's a plant that takes such a lot of care to grow, and you cannot eat any that the plant produces for several years. It must be harvested by hand, and its actually a flower.

That sounds like one of my meals! Its nice with Lancashire cheese, too.

Ooh, and fresh new taters with lots of mint sauce on.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:57 PM   #597
Elonve
Wight

Elonve has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orominuialwen
I also assign prom. Sure, everyone says it's overrated, but I had a lot of fun, even without a date. The only bad thing was the weather (35-40 degrees F and raining) and the great discomfort caused by my high heels.
I assign prom too. Except that at my school this year it was called "Spring Fling" It was beautiful! Wild flowers everywhere! and Candles and storm lanterns with big cream coloured candles...
The food was good and my date didn't mind if I danced with loads of guys.

My curfew was 3:30 a.m. and my parents we're pretty narfed because I got back home a little later than that. I am going to get one of those museum clocks for the kitchen one of these days...

I don't know if I am allowed to do this but may I send Tolkien, the master, to the Shire? I really do believe that he should live forever in his work.
________
LovelyWendie

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Elonve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:19 PM   #598
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

No such thing as 'prom' when I grew up. Instead we had The School Disco. In the 80s this was at its height of fashion. It consisted of getting dressed up in as much plastic, primary coloured jewellery as possible (all bought for 20p from the market), your best Chelsea Girl pixie boots and sticking half a ton of gel and hairspray on your hair. Then you'd spend the night flitting between the bikesheds where you had some cider stashed and the school hall where you would dance round your handbag to Duran Duran, while avoiding the lads windmilling their arms around in a semblance of 'dancing'. Later you would all laugh and jeer when you found one of your friends snogging a horrible lad behind the stage and try to avoid more horrible lads when Spandau Ballet came on as the last song at the incredibly late hour of 9.55pm.

But the nostalgia for such events, especially when you reminisce with your old friends, firmly belongs in The Shire.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:11 PM   #599
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
But the nostalgia for such events, especially when you reminisce with your old friends, firmly belongs in The Shire.
Hmm. Hmmm. (and that's not Hooom, hooom. ) I would have thought that nostalgia belongs with the elves, in Rivendell or Lothlorien. Aren't the elves the ones who reminisce about the good ole days?
Old 05-27-2006, 11:39 AM   #600
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
This is going to sound odd but...

Men In Kilts... no, while you ladies may have a strong interest in men wearing what amounts as a skirt, what I'm most interested on is a band by that name (in which, obviously, the men on the band wear kilts). Best band ever.

I also assign small, hometown bands. There is nothing like being able to chat with them after they're done their show, sure it'd be awesome to talk for two seconds to some rockstar while ten thousand crazy girls scream and yell that they love him... but I much rather have a short discussion on whether or not their last CD should have been longer. And of course, have them call me by my name not "dude" or something. Really cool band, good music, good people going to their shows.... I hope they make it big for them and so that I can say "I've been following these guys since the start" but at the same time, it'd be awful to loose the closeness you have with smaller bands.