The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-04-2003, 09:32 AM   #1
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting Walk To Rivendell" aka "The Eowyn Challenge" (Part 2)

In hobbbit disguise, I have finally sauntered out of Bag End and made it only as far as the other side of Bywater (2.09 miles). Though I have no aspirations to be like Eowyn, I thought I would join in on the traveling fun.

** NOTE* This is a continuation of the original Walk To Rivendell topic. That one had grown quite large and was a bear to load sometimes.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:21 AM   #2
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Golly, BW, delighted you could join us-- good thing you're in hobbit guise. But I'll have an eye on you when you get to the Downs...

Since the other thread is now closed, I'll move the stats here. You've got a slot, BW! If you'd care to put your mileage in your profile, under FROM, I'll update it when I do the rest-- or, being a mod, you could just edit this post yourself. Power, power!

[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks to Nurumaiel, who ran through the whole previous thread and updated everybody's milage!!! Nuru, you da BEST!...

Thanks again to Nurumaiel, [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] here is the updated milage list as of June 12.

Nuru thank you thank you thank you

Current mileage as of July 15, 2003:

MEMBER : MILEAGE
alaklondewen : 274 (47 m.)
Alatariel : 293 (41 m.)
Annunfuiniel : 144
Arvedui III : 136
Arafangwen : 180 (27 m.)
ArwenBaggins : 286 (33 m.)
Aylwen Dreamsong : ?
bain_edhel : 12
Bulelainwen : 108
Barrow Wight : 80 (30 m.)
Durelin : 2
Durlossiel : 105
dragoneyes : 145
Eärendil : 112 (7 m.)
Eruwen : 70
Estelyn Telcontar : 333 (53 m.)
Faenaduial : 94 (12 m.)
Firondoiel : 44
Gorwingel : 360 (50 m.)
Hilde Bracegirdle : 366 (41 m.)
Horsemaiden Of The Shire : 248 (40 m.)
Ilsanie : 5.5
Joy : 14
Kalel : 32
Keowyn : 3?
Lalaith : 214 (23 m.)
Lindolirian : 170
Linnamalle : 367 (367 m.)
Linzielf : 401 (111 m.)
LotrMaster02 : ?
Lyra Greenleaf : 229 (38 m.)
Maiden of the Dry Waterfall : ?
mark12_30 : 305
Naz : ?
Neferchoiren : 173 (30 m.)
Niluial : 264
Nurumaiel : 160 (25 m.)
peony_foxburr : 278 (25 m.)
Raefindel : 311 (18 m.)
Ranger Jewel : 35?
red : 52.5
Rochelle : 59
Salix : 11
Schmendrick : 70
Sindafalathiel : 11
Sophia the Thunder Mistress : 151 (14 m.)
SwordMaiden of Rohan : ?
Tar-Palantir : ?
Tarvasa : 43
Tefalathiel : 170
The Phantom: 28
The Real Findorfin : ?
Thenamir : 56 (56 m.)
Tigerlily Gamgee : 50 (20 m.)
Tinuviel of Denton : 170 (20 m.)
Tira O Alata : ?
Vanwalossien : 220 (33 m.)
Vardamar : 314

[ June 12, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]

[ July 17, 2003: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 06-04-2003, 12:37 PM   #3
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
LOL! Walk in a sweatshirt, it helps, if you can stand the heat.
Ah. How innocent you are Sophia. Your black riders must be far less hardy than the ones around here. I walk in a coat. Even when it's hot. We'll have to see if I can stand it in the summer, or just give up and walk around the garden maybe. I can't imagine Frodo had this problem. Maybe little Hobbit lasses fainting at his feet? I can't imagine they were so rude. I got a proposal a while ago, actually. Which was strange...
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 12:57 PM   #4
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Oh dear... I fear I shall never make it there, unless I get some sort of nice contraption with wheels and pedals...

Been kinda lazy/busy, so the walking has been at a minimum... and, I haven't been keeping track [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

BW - glad you joined us... pretty soon you'll probably be passing me up!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 01:01 PM   #5
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

peony_foxburr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peony_foxburr
Sting

Lyra, your Black Riders are...something else again. What about a Walkman, with headphones, and the music turned up really loud, so you don't hear them?? (Though perhaps it would be SAFER to keep your hearing) Used to happen to me in the days I was walking around in cities--construction workers were the worst. We were always told to pay no attention to them, which is like blaming the victim, in my opinion. You have my sympathy.*Peony wishes she could afflict them all with boils*
Music reviews: The Tolkien Ensemble, "A Night in Rivendell." I was disappointed, frankly. The compositions are way too artsy-fartsy to be good walking music, or even sound like the kind of music I imagine being enjoyed in Middle Earth.

HOWEVER-came upon a stash of CDs, left over from when my daughter worked for the Natural Wonders store (now out of business), and included a huge amount of Celtic/New Age and Traditional music!Gems gleaned so far: John Whelan, "Come to Dance," and Joannie Madden, "Song of the Irish Whistle." Also unearthed from my own collection: The Chieftains' "Long Black Veil," from a few years back. With a couple of exceptions, most of the tracks are quite marvelous.

Will be watching development of the upcoming LOTR music--I signed up for e-mail updates. That could be really dreadful, or a sublime experience, and perhaps some good "singable by ordinary mortals" type vocal music will come out of it as well.
Welcome to the Walk, BW! You won't cast a spell of silence on chatterbox Peony, will you? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
peony_foxburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 03:13 PM   #6
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Quote:
Music reviews: The Tolkien Ensemble, "A Night in Rivendell." I was disappointed, frankly.
DRAT!! I just ordered all three of their CDs today at Lunchtime!! Well, I hope my taste varies a LITTLE from yours, Peony... by the way, has anybody's rascally relative (kid brother, etc) "ripped" the songs off of the Rob Inglis CDs? (I ONLY want the songs. And I bought the BBC version, for JUST the songs, and was disappointed with that too...)

Why, oh Why why why didn't Tolkien write down his own tunes??? Whywhywhywhy?

Spaeking of rascally kid brothers-- how about The Starlit Jewel? ... purely academic curiosity of course...
not.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:27 PM   #7
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yippee! I've made it to Weather Top!!! Hilde says doing a jig a top the crest.
I stumbled on it in the mist this morning. Well at least the black riders horses couldn't see me!

Look to the east tonight folks, if you see a light out there, that'll be my camp fire. Going to keep it stoked. Those Ring Wraiths aren't ta gonna catch this hobbit! Not that I'm carrying anything that would change the course of history...At least a I don't think I am.

[ June 04, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 04:19 PM   #8
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Keep the fire burning, I;ll join ya soon, Hilde!

Peony, John Whelan is one of the musicians who traveled with "Riverdance". If you like his music you can get more of him in that CD or actually see him in the videos. Greycloak took me to see Riverdance once...It made me wish I played an instrument.
Old 06-04-2003, 04:54 PM   #9
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

I'll keep the fire burning Raefindel!

Please accept my apologies. In my enthusiasm I was forgetting the fleet footed ones who would have to look west tonight to see see the happy fire of my unbridled joy!
Old 06-04-2003, 07:59 PM   #10
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

You mean I am the person who has traveled the farthest! Cool! Good luck to everyone else, and this reminds me I really need to go and run, now!
Old 06-04-2003, 09:11 PM   #11
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
The Chieftains' "Long Black Veil," from a few years back. With a couple of exceptions, most of the tracks are quite marvelous.
Peony: I really like that cd. I'm not a Stones fan, but their version of the title cut is not too bad. "Mo Ghile Mear" with Sting & "The Foggy Dew" with Sinéad O'Connor are my favorites.

Quote:
has anybody's rascally relative (kid brother, etc) "ripped" the songs off of the Rob Inglis CDs? (I ONLY want the songs.
Helen: I have those cd's, but I don't know if I'm computer-literate enough to copy just the songs. I could probably copy to a cd, but I have no idea how to download to send to you. Too bad my son's in Germany...I'm sure he'd know how. (If anyone knows how, send me a very detailed PM and I'll make the attempt.)

Quote:
Though I have no aspirations to be like Eowyn, I thought I would join in on the traveling fun.
Barrow Wight: Welcome! Good to see you again. Did Goldberry stop by on her way home?

After wasting way too much time wandering in circles, I finally stumbled onto the Ranger path through the Chetwood. No sign of the Black Riders so far. I'm still about 28 miles from the Marshes, so I'm hoping Strider will catch up to me before I get there.

--------------------

"This is where we leave the open and take to cover," said Strider.

"Not a 'short cut', I hope," said Pippin. "Our last short cut through woods nearly ended in disaster."

"Ah, but you had not got me with you then," laughed Strider. "My cuts, short or long, don't go wrong." He took a look up and down the Road. No one was in sight; and he led the way quickly down towards the wooded valley.

[ June 04, 2003: Message edited by: Alatįriėl ]
Old 06-04-2003, 09:21 PM   #12
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Hilde, congratulations! Such a major milestone! Maybe Rae and I will catch you before you break camp...

And Gorwingel, yes, you and Linzielf are in-the-lead-out-of-sight!

It is raining here, but tomorrow should be dry enough for some more distance. It's thundering now. Say, Hilde, do you see Gandalf anywhere nearby?
Old 06-04-2003, 09:30 PM   #13
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

Quote:
LOL! Walk in a sweatshirt, it helps, if you can stand the heat.
In 100+ weather!? I don't think so. I suppose I'll have to live with the black riders. Grrr.

Lyra: You got a proposal!? Tell me I misunderstood that.

[ June 09, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 04:01 AM   #14
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Well, I've spent the last ten days clocking up my mileage, walking with a donkey in Spain, would you believe. I thought of him, in my mind, as Bill....it was very hot, I would have much preferred the leafy shades of Chetwood.
Also I lost my pedometer so I've had to do some guessing, I hope I haven't been too generous with myself. I shall have to invest in a new one.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:43 AM   #15
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Hilde, I'll be at Weathertop in an hour. You still there? I hope?? Rae, where are you?

Glad it's noontime, that hill looks like it could be a creepy place at night!

[ June 05, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 06-05-2003, 10:10 AM   #16
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Wow, I'm a member of the over 200 mile group - not too bad!

One thing I try to do when walking is to make conscious use of all five senses. Here are my current favorite sensory perceptions:

sight - Definitely the red poppies that are growing along the edge of fields and by the side of roads

sound - Birds, different ones at various times of the day

smell - Wild roses, absolutely wonderful

touch - The soft, new-grown tips of evergreens

taste - Nothing wild and edible at the moment...

Current drawback - a touch of hayfever... Didn't allergies exist in Middle-earth? We never read of anyone sneezing, do we?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 10:13 AM   #17
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Helen-
Just said goodbye Weather Top this morning, but left you a nice stack of dry wood for your own commemoration of the Gandalf's struggle on the hill!

We will meet soon. I'm feeling coldish and will have to travel more slowly. I've been stuck down by pollen, and must hasten to Rivendell for elvish medicine!

Estelyn-
Aren't the birds wonderful! I love to walk in the very early morning and hear them chattering!

[ June 05, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]
Old 06-05-2003, 10:47 AM   #18
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Hmmmmm...can I still join? I need the excersize... Oh, I'm playing softball tonight...I wonder how far it is from one base to another...

This will be fun...and probably quite interesting...
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 10:49 AM   #19
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Welcome, Durelin! Glad you could join us!

Hilde, thanks so much for the firewood. It'll drive out some of this damp! I hope I catch you soon. Company sounds like a very nice idea.

Sam sneezed, I think, more than once. And Bilbo definitely sneezed. I wonder what a dwarf sneeze sounds like?

Esty, the five senses idea is great-- very Frodo-like. I can see him thinking about that! Here's m'list:

Touch: getting my feet wet when the water is deeper than my sandals are high... like today! I should have just taken my socks off and slogged through knee-deep. Next time I think I will.
Smell: The forest floor; pine needles carpeting the path; oak leaves, likewise; the smell of ponds, and little streams. Wild bloomers now: Honeysuckle, Russian Olive.
Taste: Oh, but Esty, you can taste the air when you inhale through your mouth-- try it! Near fresh water, the air tastes fresher, moister, and its easier to breathe, too. Up high, it's dryer and has a different taste. (I generally don't taste the air in swamps.)
Sound: The rushing or trickling streams; the wind in the trees or squirrels or birds making the branches rustle; the squeak of mice and other critters; birdsong.
Sight: The furthest treetops I can see; shapely or majestic trees I pass (especially pines and beeches; I think Tolkien would agree); stone walls; deer trails; and I stop and enjoy the water whenever I find it.

This morning, we startled a german shepherd, who barked, in turn startling a fine doe, who ran within forty feet of us. (Somehow, she was much prettier and lovelier than the herd of deer Chonea chased out of my garden this morning! Rotten scavengers!)

[ June 05, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 06-05-2003, 12:03 PM   #20
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

First of all I'd like to say how glad I am there's a new thread! Only one page to deal with (so far). Come to think of it, I need to save the most memorable posts from thread #1 in a Word document so I can remember it all.

Only 3 miles more to the Old Forest! Yesterday I took the 2-mile trail by the lake again while rehearsing my history in the art of Irish Dance. It might be an interesting story to some people some day, so I mean to keep it. Through different Irish dances, I've found that some of them could be considered 'hobbit.' I doubt if hardshoe could be considered hobbit, however, since they don't wear shoes.

I'm glad to know I'm nearly 100 miles from home. Well, of course I'd like to be back at Hobbiton, but it means I'm getting there. I'm nearly jumping up and down with excitement to think that in just five days I'll be back with my beloved pony and we can start walking together. I wonder what will happen when I show up at the arena and start measuring it with a tape measure, however? [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Strange looks, I'm sure, and questions. Ah well.

Recently I've been taking the dog, Frodo, on my adventures. As a matter of fact, I've been doing that for about a month now. But now after many warnings I've hooked up a leash to his collar and said regretfully, "I told you if you didn't stop barking at passers-by, I'd have to put a leash on you." But whether on a leash or not, he's could protection against the Black Riders.

Lyra, what kind of proposal do you mean? *looks rather shocked* The worst the Black Riders have ever done to this hobbit is saying, "Hello." And this hobbit timidly says hello back and quickens the pace before they realize that they were speaking to a dangerous creature and urge their black steeds after her.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:00 PM   #21
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Quote:
...history in the art of Irish Dance. It might be an interesting story to some people some day
Me for one! Post it somewhere and put a link here!

Quote:
Through different Irish dances, I've found that some of them could be considered 'hobbit.'
Which ones? Can you describe them? Some of us know what a "Rise and Grind" is... What tunes? Shall we have a Hobbit Dance? Oooo--elves would love those dances! So would hobbits!

Lindo knows some Elvish children's dances that hobbits can do... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Perhaps when we all get to Rivendell we'll have a dance. Or-- Hmmm, wasn't Hilde dancing on Weathertop?

Which reminds me-- has anyone actually choreographed a Springle Ring? Tolkien described it as a "Pretty dance but rather vigorous." And it can be danced on a table top. Hmmm, perhaps a little reminiscent of the Highland Fling...?
Old 06-05-2003, 02:30 PM   #22
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

Arafangwen paused on a hilltop to look around, Tinuviel of Denton was about a mile ahead of her, but speeding up sounded a little hard considering all of the mud on the wet ground. Turning around to the back she spotted Nurumaiel about fifteen miles behind her, she would probably catch up to her soon. Although, the idea of staying the night with Old Man Willow didn't sound to comforting to the elf, mabey a little mud wasn't to bad....
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 04:28 PM   #23
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

I've gotten to the Great East Road! That's 145 miles for me. Only 313 miles to Rivendell! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Cya,
Fėa
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 06:57 PM   #24
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Quote:
Me for one! Post it somewhere and put a link here!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] All right, I will. Even the not so glorious parts? Well, I used to think only young children were scolded, but elder people will be, I suppose, if it's a real show...

Quote:
Which ones? Can you describe them? Some of us know what a "Rise and Grind" is... What tunes?
Oooh, so you know what a rise and grind is? That's very good. Most people I know would say, "A hide and find what?"

I don't know if my idea of hobbit dances are the same as the rest of yours, but I've noticed that the steps most like the hobbit dances I've imagined are side-steps. i.e. A hop (in which you bring your R or L toe up to your L or R knee and hop) and seven steps to the R or L (not just steps however: on your toes with one foot always in back and one in the front stepping to the side), then a rise and grind, then the same thing only the opposite direction. Ah ha! I've got it. Caeli dances are always very hobbitish, if anyone there has every seen one. Those are more 'partner' dances, though sometimes there can be groups of four all dancing together!

I used to have a CD called Irish Jigs and Reels where most of the dances I learned are played. Or maybe it would be more accurate to say I used to know where a CD was...

Quote:
Has anyone actually choreographed a Springle Ring? Tolkien described it as a "Pretty dance but rather vigorous." And it can be danced on a table top. Hmmm, perhaps a little reminiscent of the Highland Fling...?
Excellent idea, Helen! About a month ago I learned the Highland Fling. Mind you, I don't take Scottish dancing (yet), but the normal instructor was away and so the Scottish dance instructor was the substitute. However it would need to be changed a little, I think, so it would be more of a dance for pairs actually adjoining hands, etc. Or not, actually. I'm not sure if Tolkien ever said anything proclaiming hobbits actually held hands when they danced?

A bit off-topic, but Tolkien-related nevertheless, so maybe the mods can forgive me. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2003, 09:18 PM   #25
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Silmaril

Not really good walking weather here in the Chetwood today...thunderstorms with lots of lightning and rain. There were definitely fell voices on the air! Good thing I finally found the path, or I might have been washed away. Where are you, Strider?

--------------------

However, in the meanwhile, walking was not unpleasant. Indeed, if it had not been for the disturbing events of the night before, they would have enjoyed this part of the journey better than any up to that time. The sun was shining, clear but not too hot. The woods in the valley were still leafy and full of colour, and seemed peaceful and wholesome. Strider guided them confidently among the many crossing paths, although left to themselves they would soon have been at a loss. He was taking a wandering course with many turns and doublings, to put off any pursuit.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:27 PM   #26
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Alatariel, thanks so much for that quote. The best part of their journey so far? Amazing.

You know, this makes me want to do something else that's less distance related than experience-related... like Linzielf does, relating the terrain we walk to Frodo's journey-- only do it by season and date istead of distance. September 22 thru March 25-- duplicate the terrain. (That includes a two-month rest in Rivendell and another couple of weeks or a month in Lorien... say, this is sounding better and beter.)

That'll take some pondering.

Nuru-- Yes, Yes, Ceili dances for hobbits! Perhaps the Springle Ring was actually a Reel of Tulloch?

Nuru, this is funny; I've had mostly Scottish Highland and just a bit of Irish step, and you're vice-versa. I think hobbit-lasses would do lots of ladies' step. The Lilt-- I can see Rosie Cotton dancing The Lilt! (Just, not to the bagpipes. Fiddle or flute perhaps.

I think we should all get together on Weathertop and dance a Springle Ring. We could write our own.

(Pas De Basque- a polka-like,four-count, 123_123_-- but prettily done. Abbreviated PDB.)

So-- part one of the BD Ceili Weathertop Springle Ring:
PDB, PDB, side 1234567, rise and grind-- then what? Memory is as foggy as the barrow-downs. Nuru, help!
Part two of the BD Ceili Weathertop Springle Ring: Tulloch swing left, then right, then your choice of setting steps to your partner!

Meanwhile Rosie is off to one side doing her pretty PDB, flirting with Sam.

And who is going to do FrodoLijah's chicken-dance? Come on, somebody. BW, you're on!

[ June 06, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 06-06-2003, 02:02 AM   #27
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

52 miles! and not to mention the other miles i haven't counted yet! so I guess I'm around 70.

Welcome to the challenge, BW!

Thank you all so much for the discussion of music! I've been looking for Celtic/New Age stuff here, but they've all mysteriously disappeared from the stores here, and i barely have much to go by (the Putumayo collectins are virtually gone!).

Quote:
Irish Jigs and Reels
WHERE? is it a compilation?

Quote:
dreadful, or a sublime experience
I've listened to the soundtrack fo TT only three times: I found it too overwhelming to listen to liesurely...until I played while doing yoga. That did it for me.

Quote:
We never read of anyone sneezing, do we?
Hmmm...unless somewhere in the movies did someone sneeze---out of a cold. But then again maybe not. Those hobbits were quite strong, and the atmosphere was cleaner and safer except for shadows creeping about.

Oh, and it isn't raining anymore! Maybe a walk outdoors is possible after all! *yay*
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 07:33 AM   #28
Vardamar
Haunting Spirit

Vardamar has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

They had not gone far on the fifth day when they left the last straggling pools and reed-beds of the marshes behind them. The land before them began steadily to rise again. Away in the distance eastward they could now see a line of hills. The highest of them was at the right of the line and a little separated from the others. It had a conical top, slightly flattened at the summit.
'That is Weathertop,' said Vardamar. 'The Old Road, which we have left far away on our right, runs to the south of it and passes not far from its foot. We might reach it by noon tomorrow, if we go straight towards it. I suppose we had better do so.'

219 miles now. I am now trudging through the Marshes. As you can gather from the excerpt, I have Weathertop in sight, 9 miles away.

On a side note, do any of the people with high mileage want to toughen up the challenge by attempting to reach Rivendell by the time the TTT DVD comes out?
Old 06-06-2003, 07:44 AM   #29
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Vardamar,

By the DVD drelease! Interesting! Er... when's it supposed to be out?
Old 06-06-2003, 11:23 AM   #30
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

How about a couple leap23's? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] If I lived closer to town I would take Scottish dance as well as Irish. But I will get to work on that 'history' when I get home.

I've entered the Old Forest! The dog, however, decided he wasn't going to risk his neck there. A ways down the road he stopped and wouldn't go forward. I tried everything, but he would not move. Perhaps he smelled Black Riders? I had to walk back and let him go back up to the house before I could continue my walk.

I aim to do a 2-mile walk today, but there will be packing and driving back home, and unpacking, and trying to sneak out of the house while the cat isn't watching. Maybe I can convince someone in the family to hug him and pet him and talk to him while I sneak away... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2003, 11:41 AM   #31
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Congratulations Helen!

Yes, I would like to know when the TTT DVD comes out. It should be soon I think, and I know I still have a long way to go!

Frodo was restless. The cold and wet made his wound more painful than ever, and the ache and sense of deadly chill took away all sleep. He lay tossing and turning and listening to fearfully to the stealthy night noises: wind in chinks of rock, water dripping, a crack, the sudden rattling fall of losened stone.

Well, I'm just huddled up here in a ball for a little while. Wasn't struck down by pollen or Nazgul, but rather with a bad cold. That's what comes of dancing all night at high altitudes I imagine! I can really relate to the bit about "the ache and sense of deadly chill took away all sleep" though I'm quite sure Frodo's was a vastly different
sort. I would pick a nasty cold over a knife in the dark any day!!
Old 06-06-2003, 11:53 AM   #32
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Hilde, here I am at 264! Good long walk at lunchtime always helps.

Colds are nasty! Here, have a sweater, and some lozenges, and I'll start a fire and make some herbal tea. There must be some nice herbs around here somewhere.
Old 06-06-2003, 12:11 PM   #33
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Lyra: You got a proposal!? Tell me I misunderstood that.
I don't think you are. There was a gang of them, and I was ignoring them, then one said something along the lines of "She's a good Irish girl- she's waiting for marriage" then another said "OK, I'll marry you". Then I ran off. I don't know where they got the Irish thing from!

Quote:
Yesterday I took the 2-mile trail by the lake again while rehearsing my history in the art of Irish Dance. It might be an interesting story to some people some day, so I mean to keep it. Through different Irish dances,
I really really miss Irish dancing. I did it for years but it what with practice, lessons and feis (what is the plural of feis? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] ) it took too long. I gave it up when I got to GCSEs. I wouldn't really describe most of it as Hobbit. though. My favourite was hard shoe. I was a lot better at that too. I won a few prizes for the hornpipe- not that I'm boasting or anything! What is a rise and grind? We must have used different names. I noticed at area-wide feis (Once again I'm stuck on the plural!) that people called things differently. I used to do English country dancing too, and I have to say that they (and Ceili dances) strike me as more Hobbitish. Do you know anything of English ones, or is it only Gaelic dancing that floats your boat? can't wait for your link!

Eek- this has been very un-Tolkien. I will try to limit my nostalgia for the good old days in future.

[ June 06, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 12:37 PM   #34
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

Quote:
There was a gang of them, and I was ignoring them, then one said something along the lines of "She's a good Irish girl- she's waiting for marriage" then another said "OK, I'll marry you". Then I ran off.
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] That is rather scary. I must admit I'm shocked. It kind of makes me think of my first marriage proposal when I was 6 years old. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] My feelings then were turning bright red and looking confused, then becoming indignant and stomping angrily into the house, saying 'forget it!' [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

In my class what we say for rise and grind is "hop, hop back, hop back 234." But steps often do have different names, because I've heard 'leap23' and 'leap cross step' both.

To return to the topic, is there anyone located at 98 miles like myself so I could know who I'm walking with?
Old 06-06-2003, 12:46 PM   #35
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Nuru, I think your leap23 and my pasDeBasque (paddyBarr) are pretty close. Hobbits would do lots of either one. I thought rise and grind was back first then front? Ignorant me. But hobbits would do them anyway.

Lyra, you too? One more and we'll have enough for a foursome reel. Hobbit ceili on Weathertop! And another big bash at Rivendell! Wooohoooo! Come on, Sam, ask Rosie for a dance!
Old 06-06-2003, 03:10 PM   #36
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Bless you, Helen! And bless your quick feet too! Some tea sounds good about now. Must be some wild rose hips about.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:30 PM   #37
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

Quote:
By the DVD release! Interesting! Er... when's it supposed to be out?

Yes, I would like to know when the TTT DVD comes out. It should be soon I think, and I know I still have a long way to go!
The theatrical version is scheduled to be released on August 26. The extended dvd is scheduled for November 18. Rivendell by November should be a piece of cake, and even an August deadline is very doable, approximately 3.5 miles per day.

(That would be 3.5 miles per day for me, as I'm currently at 172 miles with 286 still to go and 81 days till the theatrical release of TTT.)

[ June 06, 2003: Message edited by: Alatįriėl ]
Old 06-07-2003, 08:31 AM   #38
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Erm..I could get to Rivendell by the date of the EE release, not sure about theatrical version. I end up doing lots of miles when I do walk, but can only walk a max of 4 days/wk due to working three 12-hr shifts on the other days. I'll pray on it...

Helen, I hope the Tolkien ensemble appeals more to you, didn't mean to frighten you off. It's not bad music, and I may start to enjoy it for listening purposes as it grows on me. But as music to learn and perform in some fashion oneself, it doesn't seem awfully accessible to me. Reminds me of a comment made by a choral director in another life, about The Messiah, that Handel intended people to leave the performance humming the melodies! That's not so bad a thing, and the music doesn't have to be simpleminded or banal to fall into that category. The Tolkien Ensemble didn't seem to have that intention in mind. Likewise much of what Donald Swann composed forThe Road Goes Ever On. Lovely music, but lots of intervals (either octave jumps or half-step chromatic progressions) that the average person might find daunting. Sigh. Howard Shore actually seems to have come the closest to what I'm thinking of. Maybe if enough fans clamor for it, there will be an edition of the songs from the movie which include The Walking Song (which Gandalf and Bilbo sang bits of)and the Lay of Luthien, and the Hobbit Dance Music...
*Peony pauses for breath, and to wipe up the drool*
I know there is sheet music out for much of the soundtrack already, just haven't got around to looking it over/thinking about purchase yet.
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
Old 06-07-2003, 08:43 AM   #39
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Lyra:
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
Forgive me for being naive and American, but I have to ask: do you have any legal recourse? It just makes my blood boil, imagining these yahoos standing around making these scary remarks. If it's a daily occurrence, I can understand that (a)the police would take no notice because it's just too common to bother with and (b) you don't want to waste more time on this than you already have.

Not that this is a good reason to adopt a dog, but if you were walking with a dog who barked fiercely at anyone that yelled at you, I bet they'd shut up pretty fast. (My dog would probably have them wetting themselves. A lovely thought!)
-The Return of the King
Old 06-07-2003, 08:44 AM   #40
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
White-Hand

I walked for over 3 or three miles in the sun today...all because I was too stuborn to spend money on a jeep ride...wish I had a camera with me to take pictures of all the trees in Manila...and this huge truck that was clogging this street would've looked cute.

A marriage proposal...knew I read that right. I had one myself two weeks ago. And that was my second one, though the first was part joke, part possibility. Anything can happen.

aaaaanyway, I'm believing that I can reach Rivendell by the time the extended dvd's out. Still I'm somewhere around the edges of the barrow downs (that is, for all my counted miles). Hope the wight isn't stalking me... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Nuru: If I have all my miles in check, I may be somewhere near you. I have lots of miles unaccounted for, but I keep track of all the places I've treaded on. So maybe more or less, I'm really out of the downs [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote