The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-30-2003, 04:06 PM   #681
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Question

Is anyone else having problems entering additonal miles on the Eowyn page? I even tried re-registering and all I get is an error.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:54 PM   #682
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

I have not been able to access it either.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:20 PM   #683
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

That's extremely odd. They could be having a temporary problem, but it worked fine for me. Maybe if you continue to have this problem within the next day or so, you could send an email to the address given on the mileage update page and report the problem?
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

I went on a two-mile trek today, but I plan to do another mile fairly soon to make it an even 140. It is rather disappointing that Robin and I will be leaving the Barrow-Downs in just 5 more miles, but if we stay here forever we'll never get to Rivendell, right?

BTW, unless I made a mistake in my calculations, we now have (on the WTR mileage page) 22 BD walkers, 64 black shields, and 4,305 miles in total. Pretty good!

As a reminder, if you have not yet voted for your favorite motto in the Second House Contest, please go check out all the mottos and vote for your favorite!
Old 06-30-2003, 08:14 PM   #684
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

peony_foxburr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peony_foxburr
Sting

The Black Riders had finally caught up with them again, and Frodo was dreadfully injured by one of them. The rest of the night was spent keeping the fire going and bathing his wound with the athelas Strider found.

Peony whispered to Sam, "I wanted to do something, but the Riders made me so--afraid."

Sam whispered back, "At least you kept your mouth shut and stood your ground when they came."

Peony grinned in spite of herself. "That's because I was even more afraid of screaming like a girl!"

At first light they set out to the south, where they would find concealment--and firewood--in the woodlands. Frodo rode Bill the Pony, and Sam walked alongside. Though they all moved as quickly as they could, Peony could hear Sam's voice now and then, speaking words of encouragement to his master. She wondered how he could find the breath to do so.
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
peony_foxburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2003, 10:57 PM   #685
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Is anyone else having problems entering additonal miles on the Eowyn page? I even tried re-registering and all I get is an error.

I have not been able to access it either.
B-W and Raefindel: It may just be a temporary problem. I updated my miles about 45 minutes ago. It did take a minute or two before the update showed, though.

By the way, B-W, congratulations on your second shield!!

It was pretty scary last night. It was cloudy with no stars early on, but then it cleared and got very cold. It's a good thing Peony left that firewood for us. We kept hearing strange sounds in the dark, but nothing came near our fire. None of us got much sleep, but Strider told us stories and even sang a couple of songs to keep our spirits up. We were really happy to see the sunrise.

--------------------

Down in the lowest and most sheltered corner of the dell they lit a fire, and prepared a meal. The shades of evening began to fall, and it grew cold.

..The cold increased as darkness came on. Peering out from the edge of the dell they could see nothing but a grey land now vanishing quickly into shadow. The sky above had cleared again and was slowly filling with twinkling stars.

..As night fell and the light of the fire began to shine out brightly, he began to tell them tales to keep their minds from fear.

..As Strider was speaking they watched his strange eager face, dimly lit in the red glow of the wood-fire. His eyes shone, and his voice was rich and deep. Above him was a black starry sky. Suddenly a pale light appeared over the crown of Weathertop behind him. The waxing moon was climbing slowly above the hill that overshadowed them, and the stars above the hill-top faded.

[ July 01, 2003: Message edited by: Alatįriėl ]
Old 07-01-2003, 05:01 AM   #686
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I'm curious - did any other Barrow-Downers enter a motto in the contest or was I the only one?

I'm almost at 300 miles - should be getting that next shield tomorrow! I must say, a bit of healthy competition does keep me going at it...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 08:00 AM   #687
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: I don't know... will there be a quiz on this later?
ArwenBaggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ArwenBaggins Send a message via Yahoo to ArwenBaggins
Eye

After leaving Weathertop (that place was freaking me out), we crossed the Great Road and continued south. There are more animals here, and I've never enjoyed a coney more!
We have walked 264 miles.
We have crossed the Great Road and headed south (264).
It is 8 miles to the next landmark.
We still have 194 miles to Rivendell.
They made their way slowly and cautiously round the south-western slopes of the hill, and came in a little while to the edge of the Road. There was no sign of the Riders. But even as they were hurrying across they heard far away two cries: a cold voice calling and a cold voice answering. Trembling they sprang forward, and made for the thickets that lay ahead.
ArwenBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 09:23 AM   #688
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Linnamalle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Another fun hobbit-walking party! Hi, everyone.
They spoke no more of the small news of the Shire far away; nor of the dark shadows and perils that encompassed them, but of the fair things they had seen in the world together, of the Elves, of the stars, of trees, and the gentle fall of the bright year in the woods.
Linnamalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 10:18 AM   #689
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Hi Linnamalle! Welcome - you may be new here, but obviously you've been on the road to Rivendell for awhile. Are you a member of one of the other walking groups?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 07-01-2003, 11:26 AM   #690
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Thanks, Estelyn Telcontar. Member? Lol! No, I lurk here and there. As if I was a ranger... lurking about and sleeping in hedges and ditches! Lol!
They spoke no more of the small news of the Shire far away; nor of the dark shadows and perils that encompassed them, but of the fair things they had seen in the world together, of the Elves, of the stars, of trees, and the gentle fall of the bright year in the woods.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:41 PM   #691
Elessindil-bloodline

Sting

I don't mean to brag, but I have reached Rivendell and am now feasting on Lembas and wine, while you guys are traveling through marshes, dead places and what-not
Old 07-02-2003, 05:01 AM   #692
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I apologize for some rather late responses here, but I did have some trouble adding miles to the Eowyn site quite a few days ago. The section showing the sheilds never came up, but evidently the miles WERE added. It was like working in the dark. After e-mailing twice to describe and report the problem things cleared up for me. I was wondering if I was the only one!

Estelyn, I also put in a motto, so you were not the lone BDer! There are some very nice ones there.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:16 AM   #693
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Oooh, Hilda Bracegirdle, you and I are close. I wonder if I can catch you today! If I see someone in the distance, how can I be sure it's you, and not some rascally wilderness vagabond?
Old 07-02-2003, 10:58 AM   #694
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Oh how lovely! (I’m another 2 miles ahead after lunch, but don’t think I’ll get any more in today.) I don’t think I can be mistaken for a rascal as I’m rather short and wearing petticoats! I’ll put the kettle going just incase you make it for tea…. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2003, 11:41 AM   #695
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Anyone looking for Peony, no petticoats for this hobbit-lass. She "borrowed" some of Frodo's old clothes before sneaking out, er, leaving Bag End.

She appreciates the gifts of firewood, etc., left behind by those further along the Road, and is trying to return the favor as she goes.
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
Old 07-02-2003, 07:29 PM   #696
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

Arafangwen trudged her way onward as she reached the eastern edge of Chetwood Forest, hardly realizing it though, for all the mud on the road. 'When would the rain let up?' She thought to herself as she peered up into the clouds.
Is anyone else nearby?
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 06:22 AM   #697
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Peony_Foxburr: Borrowing Frodo's clothes? Lol! But I can't talk, can I? Skirts by day, breeches by night. Just confused?? Lol...

Hilda Bracegirdle: Hello! Tea sounds absolutely blissful. I brought a few sprigs of Peppermint, would you like some? Or perhaps Rosemary? We could tuck a few sprigs here and hope that Peony_Foxburr finds them.

Arafangwen: That's a very pretty picture.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:02 AM   #698
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Well hello there Linnamalle! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] The herb tea sounds great. (Right now I'd like to soak my furry feet in a nice vat of cold peppermint tea, I'm feeling like a roast hobbit! Better not give the trolls any ideas though.)
Old 07-03-2003, 11:57 AM   #699
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Hello, Linnamalle, and welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay here. You must have been walking for awhile now, to be over 300 miles. Keep up the good work! EDIT: I forgot to mention... I'll soon be going through this thread and updating the mileage list (see Esty[Estelyn Telcontar]'s post above), and I wonder if you would care to be put on the list, even if you aren't a member of a walking group? I saw that you had your mileage in your FROM: space and I didn't want to pass you by without asking you first.

Elessindil-bloodline, congratulations on reaching Rivendell! Many of us will be joining you soon, though I'm afraid I will be one of those who arrives last. You must realize though, that there's one dead place that we have travelled through that is home sweet home to us. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Can you guess? And are you, by any chance, one of those travellers who plan to walk to Mount Doom, or are your travellings done? Either way, you have done an excellent job! *applauds*
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

2 miles from the Great East Road and then it's on to Bree! Robin will be extremely happy to go there, even if it can be dark and sinister sometimes and there are a lot of Big Folk. She's been getting anxious to sleep on a real bed for once.

I think that many of the Neeker-breekers from the Marshes are migrating west along the road! Have no Hobbit inventions to keep them from biting us, Robin has taught me some secrets of a Hobbit medicine that will soothe the itching a bit. And it does help if you don't scratch, she tells me.... if it is possible to resist the temptation!

Recently for our breakfast Robin has been cooking some Hobbit bread made from some strange kind of fruit that rather resembles bananas. And for dinner? Ah, we eat those ridiculously long sandwiches that Tolkien so despised, as he mentions in a letter to Zimmerman. Well, at least they provide you with energy for the 316 miles more to Rivendell!

[ July 03, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 07-03-2003, 06:42 PM   #700
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Well, you see, Peony was helping to clear out Bag End before the Sackville-Bagginses arrived, and Frodo was giving away all this old clothing...and, being a much better eavesdropper than Sam, she didn't get caught at it! Going to Rivendell sounded much more interesting to her than keeping house for the S-B's.
-The Return of the King
Old 07-04-2003, 12:42 AM   #701
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Yes Peony, I think you have the right idea. I'm sure I'm not the only female elf in breeches out there.

Tea works, but I can't wait to get to Rivendell for some coffee with elven cream.

I'll be on vacation next week so I imagine I'll be racking up the miles, though I won't be able to post them till I return. I'll miss all my Barrow-friends. Is there anyplace in Middle-earth like Yellowstone? Hmmm...

Hope you all have fun tomorrow watching Gandalf's fireworks. I'll give a full report when I return the land of boiling waters.
Old 07-04-2003, 02:46 PM   #702
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Well, it's pushing 90 out here south of the Great Road. Phew, pant, mop! BUT, if I'm going to be able to see Gandalf's Fireworks (where do I find them? Weathertop??) then I'd best be on my little elvish way-- oh, wait, this is a hobbit walking party, I'd better come up with a hobbit name-- so I have time to get there. To Gandalf's fireworks, I mean.

Hilde, your company is delightful. Thanks SO much for the tea! And I think your petticoats are okay. Although today they must be awfully hot.

Hmmm, I wonder what my hobbit name should be. Maybe I'll try that name generator; anybody else have any luck with it?
Old 07-04-2003, 02:56 PM   #703
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Hmm, Angelical Smallfoot from Overhill. Well, I guess it'll do. My feet are small for my height. And Overhill isn't far from Bag End, is it? And as far as being an angel... Lol! Well, I can pretend, I guess.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:14 PM   #704
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Linnamalle, could it have been Angelica (no "L" on the end)? There is an Angelica somewhere in the genealogical tables (Appendices to ROTK), and it is an herb, I believe--which would make it a logical Shire name for a hobbit lass.

Of course, I would NEVER imply that you were anything less than angelical [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]...

Concerning role playing:
It is rather challenging to imagine travel during fall weather (possibly well above sea level, too), when temperature is in the upper 80s and dewpoint in the 70s...The alter ego finds herself walking in the early evening these days, simply to avoid heatstroke!

ME-esque settings in Yellowstone Park (relying on memory):the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River; the various mountain ranges in view;the evergreen forests...almost everyplace EXCEPT the geysers, in fact. (Are there any hot springs occurring in any of the Tolkien canon? I haven't yet explored outside LOTR) And in fact, Raefindel, if you are driving, and pass through southeastern Idaho, take note of: Craters of the Moon National Monument (lava fields, no live volcanoes though) and the broad grassy plains in that part of the state--I knew I'd been someplace that reminded me of Rohan! (Lived there 76-79)
-The Return of the King
Old 07-05-2003, 10:02 PM   #705
Luinalatawen
Wight

Luinalatawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinalatawen
Shield

I just decided I'd give WtR a try. I could've started a couple months ago when I first found out about it, but oh well... I don't know how far I'll get. I walked five miles today on our treadmill. It took an hour and a half. The way I'm going about this is really productive though- instead of just sitting in my room and reading, I'm going to walk on the treadmill and read! I'll be getting two things done at once and I won't get bored! I'm just worried that I'll grab my book and sit down instead of hoppin on the treadmill... but maybe if I keep the book on the treadmill... it might work! I really hope I can stick to it because I have problems following fitness programs and such.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:16 PM   #706
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aleia and the hobbits were so happy to be out of the Marshes that they practically skipped and threw flower petals as they passed the stream coming down from the Weather Hills. It gave them a chance to refill their water bottles, at least. They were approximately 13 miles from the Weather Hills, but that didn't slow their spirits any.

And of course Aleia is in breeches (even though she is a hobbit!). It is terribly impractical to go hiking in a dress, now! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 11:17 PM   #707
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Well Luinalatawen you are much more lucky than me. For me to run on a treadmill I have to get up, get in my running uniform and either walk or drive to the athletic club. Good luck though, 5 miles is a really great start.

Almost to 400 miles, hopefully I will be to Rivendell soon.

Oh and Rae, have a great time in Yellowstone. That place is so wonderful. Make sure to see all the Waterfalls that you can, they are the most beautiful, and watch out for Buffalo (I don't think that is something that the fellowship ever had to worry about running into [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 07-06-2003, 04:59 AM   #708
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Raefindel, enjoy those Yellowstone sights. Oh, the activity of our hot little planet! It's inspiring but also frightening sometimes. Maybe you can find a Crack of Doom to throw your nastiest problem into... we all have one, don't we? Just don't tell the Park Rangers what you are doing! Lol!

Luinalatawen, I think it's wonderful that you are starting off on your journey. So what if you're a little late! Who cares! Good for you!

Yesterday it got very dark, here south of the Old Road East, and even though it was midafternoon the sky turned dark blue. It was so dark I thought nighttime was coming early, and then I thought that we had just gotten to a really dark part of the woods...

But then: ker-slosho! Oh, did we get rained on! And the thunder-- boom darar boom boom. LOL! Treebeard would have been impressed! Oh, I forgot, we haven't met Treebeard yet. Oopsie! Well then I guess it was Goldberry's Next Washing day. Lol!

Oh, I almost forgot. Peony Foxburr, thanks for explaining my Angelica name. So its an herb, hmmm? Interesting! So are there any female hobbits named Herb? Lol! And where are the female hobbits named Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme? Lol! Well, it's a relief I don't have to live up to being an angel. I'd never make it! Lol! Thanks, Peony! What a relief!

[ July 06, 2003: Message edited by: Linnamalle ]
Old 07-06-2003, 07:19 AM   #709
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Eye

We're deep in the Wild south of the Great Road,(274 miles) and sweat is a constant waterfall on our heads. And Peony, Rae, you aren't the only girls in breeches. I find petticoats very hot in this 90 degree weather.
Linnamalle, my Hobbit name is Melilot Tussock from Oatbarton. Melilot sounds more boy-ish, but oh well.
Can anyone pronounce Melilot?

Thanks,
Fėa
Melilot Tussock

[ July 06, 2003: Message edited by: ArwenBaggins ]
Old 07-06-2003, 07:38 AM   #710
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Now, now in defense of petticoats, they are rather practical really, surprisingly cooler than breeches. Nice thing is that if they are long enough you just take the back hem bring it forward and tuck it into the front of your waistband and you have pants, shorts even if you’d like, perfect for marshes and still socially acceptable for a middle aged hobbit (though perhaps a bit frightening to look at). [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Petticoats are also preferable when sleeping. You can pull your feet up and cover them with your skirts to keep bugs off and feet warm!

[ July 07, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]
Old 07-06-2003, 03:27 PM   #711
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Hilde, you do have a point about the cold feet. Peony brought an extra cloak along to cover hers, but misses her pet cat who used to plop herself down on her feet at night. She hopes there are some cats living at Rivendell [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].
-The Return of the King
Old 07-06-2003, 10:07 PM   #712
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Silmaril

Quote:
I'm sure I'm not the only female elf in breeches out there.
Raefindel: Absolutely! Those long gowns with trains are way too hard to hike in...not to mention being too darn hot!!

We keep seeing fresh hobbit tracks, usually just hours old, but can't seem to catch Peony. We haven't seen or heard any sign of the Black Riders since we left Weathertop, but Strider seems to think they're not very far away. Hopefully, we'll be able to travel faster tomorrow, as Strider's poltice has almost completely healed my blister.

--------------------

..Sam drew his sword and stood over Frodo; but Strider knelt down swiftly at his side. "I am not a Black Rider, Sam," he said gently, "nor in league with them." ..Then he got up and walked away, and called Sam to him. "I think I understand things better now," he said in a low voice. "There seem only to have been five of the enemy. Why they were not all here, I don't know; but I don't think they expected to be resisted. They have drawn off for the time being. But not far, I fear. They will come again another night, if we cannot escape. They are only waiting, because they think that their purpose is almost accomplished, and that the Ring cannot fly much further. I fear, Sam, that they believe your master has a deadly wound that will subdue him to their will. We shall see!"

Sam choked with tears. "Don't despair!" said Strider. "You must trust me now. Your Frodo is made of sterner stuff than I had guessed, though Gandalf hinted that it might prove so. He is not slain, and I think he will resist the evil power of the wound longer than his enemies expect. I will do all I can to help and heal him. Guard him well, while I am away!" He hurried off and disappeared again into the darkness.

[ July 07, 2003: Message edited by: Alatįriėl ]
Old 07-07-2003, 07:22 AM   #713
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Eye

Alas, we have finally caught up with Peony! We saw her camped this morning, and we all met for our breakfast.
We have walked 278 miles.
We are deep in the wild south of the Great Road (272).
It is 8 miles to the next landmark.
We still have 180 miles to Rivendell.
The land before them sloped away southwards, but it was wild and pathless; bushes and stunted trees grew in dense patches with wide barren spaces in between. The grass was scanty, coarse, and grey; and the leaves in the thickets were faded and falling. It was a cheerless land, and their journey was slow and gloomy.
-Fėa
Melilot
Old 07-07-2003, 09:43 AM   #714
Linnamalle
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Oooh! I have eleventy-one miles to go!
Old 07-07-2003, 11:54 PM   #715
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

We finally caught up to Peony today. We stopped early and set up camp so that Strider could go hunting. While he was gone, we found some tubers growing wild in the thickets that we cut up and cooked with the rabbits he brought back. Then we finished off our meal with wild berries. Strider thinks our food supplies may run short. Although we're less than 200 miles from Rivendell, it may take us several weeks to arrive since we must go across country. We cannot travel by road and hope to elude the Black Riders.

--------------------

As soon as the daylight was full, they had some hurried food and packed. It was impossible for Frodo to walk, so they divided the greater part of their baggage among the four of them, and put Frodo on the pony.

..They started off in a southerly direction. This would mean crossing the Road, but it was the quickest way to more wooded country. And they needed fuel; for Strider said that Frodo must be kept warm, especially at night, while the fire would be some protection for them all. It was also his plan to shorten their journey by cutting across another great loop of the Road: east beyond Weathertop it changed its course and took a wide bend northwards.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:59 AM   #716
ArwenBaggins
Shade of Carn Dūm

Eye

We have slowed just a bit because I have jammed my finger on a tree (actually, I did it in my garage door. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]). Peony helped wrap it, but it still pains me.
We have walked 281 miles.
We are deep in the wild south of the Great Road (272).
It is 5 miles to the next landmark.
We still have 177 miles to Rivendell.
The land before them sloped away southwards, but it was wild and pathless; bushes and stunted trees grew in dense patches with wide barren spaces in between. The grass was scanty, coarse, and grey; and the leaves in the thickets were faded and falling. It was a cheerless land, and their journey was slow and gloomy.
Thanks,
Fėa
Melilot
Old 07-08-2003, 03:01 PM   #717
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well the long weekend here was spent in the company of several hobbits and one other elf who accompanied me on several outings through field and forest.

We spent the night of the 5th enjoying beautiful fireworks, which while not up to Gandalf's standards, were lovely none the less.

We are going out running again tonight. I quite like the forest after dark.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:15 PM   #718
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Silmaril

:trudgetrudgetrudgetrudgetrudgetrudgetrudgetrudget rudgetrudgetrudgetrudgetrudgetrudge:
This pretty much epitomizes our journey today. No sign of Black Riders (or anything else). Leftover coney stew and berries for dinner. If Strider isn't able to shoot something tomorrow, it's going to be cram again.

--------------------

They made their way slowly and cautiously round the south-western slopes of the hill, and came in a little while to the edge of the Road. There was no sign of the Riders...The land before them sloped away southwards, but it was wild and pathless...It was a cheerless land, and their journey was slow and gloomy. They spoke little as they trudged along. Frodo's heart was grieved as he watched them walking beside him with their heads down, and their backs bowed under their burdens. Even Strider seemed tired and heavy-hearted.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:50 AM   #719
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

I was also away over the weekend and did some lovely barefoot walking. That sounds Hobbity, but the surroundings were pretty Elvish - sand, saltwater and sea gulls, oh my! ...and a few swans thrown in for good measure. I do love walking barefoot at the beach! (It was at the Baltic Sea, just in case anyone is interested.)
Old 07-09-2003, 05:30 PM   #720
LINZIELF
Pile O'Bones

Location: Marching to Mordor - 590.5 miles-in the Barren Hills
LINZIELF has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] This elf is slowly but surely making her way to Rivendell... but it seems to get further away. The weather has not been great for trudging, far too hot but it does make for pleasant Hobbit bare-foot walking along the beach. Will hopefully be finding some Rivendell-ish inspired country to walk in to finish off my trip - rivers and hills, and will find myself in the most esteemed company of elves to feast, drink and rest before contemplating the dangerous journey to Mount Doom.