The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-02-2002, 06:38 PM   #1
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Ring The Rings

This has probably been brought up before, so if you could direct me to the appropriate thread where I can find some answeres....

What ever became of the Lesser Rings? How many were there, who wore them, what was their extent of power, and what became of them after the Downfall of Barad-dûr?
Old 08-02-2002, 07:10 PM   #2
Feanaro
Haunting Spirit

Feanaro has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Feanaro
Silmaril

Here'a a link that will answer some of your questions: Of the Rings of Power

There were three rings given to the elves (Vilya, Narya, and nenya.) Gandalf wore Narya, Galadriel wore Nenya, and Elrond wore Vilya.
Nine rings were given to men.
Seven were given to the dwarf lords.
And then there was the One of course.

All of the lesser rings were bound to the One ruling ring, as Sauron had (more or less) a hand in their forging. When the Ruling ring was destroyed, the powers of the three waned. The Nine were destroyed with their Master, the majority of the seven were lost over the course of history, and the powers of the three would fade. This is also the reason for the elves leaving Middle-earth. Without the preservational powers of the three rings, the elven kingdoms would fade.
'See half-brother! This is sharper than thy tongue. Try but once more to usurp my place and the love of my father, and maybe it will rid the Noldor of one who seeks to be the master of thralls.' -Feanor, threatening Fingolfin with his sword. ~Moderator of the Mordor RPG.~
Feanaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 08:16 PM   #3
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Silmaril

Sorry about any confusion....I didn't mean the *Great* Rings.

Quote:
Now the Elves made many rings....
Quote:
'In Eregion long ago many Elven-rings were made, magic rings as you call them, and they were, of course, of various kinds: some more potent and some less. The lesser rings were only essays in the craft before it was full-grown, and to the Elven-smiths they were but trifles - yet still to my mind dangerous for mortals. But the Great Rings, the Rings of Power, they were perilous.'
It goes on to say that the Great Rings made mortal bearers immortal, etc, so the Nine, Seven, and Three were not the lesser rings. In other words, there were many more. Those are the ones I'm curious about.
Old 08-02-2002, 08:18 PM   #4
Feanaro
Haunting Spirit

Feanaro has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Feanaro
Silmaril

My mistake, I misread "Lesser" and interpreted as "Greater." Looks like my wit is sleepier than I thought. Unfortunately my knowledge on the lesser rings is lacking, sorry.
'See half-brother! This is sharper than thy tongue. Try but once more to usurp my place and the love of my father, and maybe it will rid the Noldor of one who seeks to be the master of thralls.' -Feanor, threatening Fingolfin with his sword. ~Moderator of the Mordor RPG.~
Feanaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 08:46 PM   #5
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

It sounds like they were pretty inconsequential. I doubt Tolkien ever wrote more about them than that bit you quoted.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote