The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-05-2002, 09:59 PM   #1
Keeper of the Feet of Melkor
Animated Skeleton

Keeper of the Feet of Melkor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting If you could make a race or a ring

If you were writing a book (some of you probably really are...) What NEW races would you include?

And if you were tolkien what color would you have made the ring ?

-looking for comical responses [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2002, 02:50 PM   #2
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I would make this character that was like part Elf, Hobbit, Orc, Wizard, and Dwarf. Can you immagine? Think about this...

A thing that is 3'6, pointy ears, very long beard, carries an axe, and a bow, not to mention a huge staff, has a freaky messed up face with discusting teeth, major higene (sp?) problems, can see long distances in light and dark, lives anywhere possible (in Caves, woods, fields, etc.), and can shoot out magic at you so fast you couldn't even try to defend yourself.

Pretty scary huh? Dang, I wouldn't want to go up against a creature like that. But if I created one, I would call it...a...well, I don't know what I would call it but it would be really freaky that's all I know.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 02:52 PM   #3
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Oh, and about the ring, I would so make it Silver!!! Gold doesn't go with anything!!!!

No, not really. I am really NOT that stupid sounding. I was JUST JOKING!!! I really don't know what color I would have it.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 04:47 PM   #4
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Sting

I'd probably make a race that was part elf and part cat. Or maybe hobbit/cat. Maybe all three............ [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Anywhoo, for the ring, I'd make it pink. Made specially for the use/ control of a girly cheerleader. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 07, 2002: Message edited by: Morai ]
Old 09-06-2002, 08:51 PM   #5
gayare'dion
Haunting Spirit

gayare'dion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

for a race. prolly a minotaur like creature, like the tauren chieftains in warcraft 3
Old 09-06-2002, 09:09 PM   #6
gayare'dion
Haunting Spirit

gayare'dion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

id prolly make a minotaur like creature
Old 09-07-2002, 12:07 PM   #7
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Silmaril

Or maybe I'd make a black ring, made for the control/ use of goths. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2002, 01:25 PM   #8
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

How about little 1 foot fairies who spend their time pestering the hobbits?

As for the ring color, I would make it neon orange. How could you possibly lose a ring like that?
Old 09-07-2002, 05:41 PM   #9
Keeper of the Feet of Melkor
Animated Skeleton

Keeper of the Feet of Melkor has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Id make wrelves and wrobbits, tall, short and all wearing black sheets!

The ring should be black, to match the "Im the dark lord" thing, but I'd make it red, to go with the whole "fires of mount doom" idea...either way
Old 09-07-2002, 05:52 PM   #10
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dûm

NazgulNumberTen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NazgulNumberTen
The Eye

the ring i made would be a solid flame.
now how cool is that?!
Old 09-07-2002, 06:13 PM   #11
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
very coool, nn10
i'd make a elfpup (that's me!) which is like a dog thats very...um...special and very odd. the ring would be purple with yellow polka dots.
Old 09-08-2002, 03:58 AM   #12
Ringwraith Number Two
Haunting Spirit

Ringwraith Number Two has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Neekerbreekers! Enlarge them so their chirping is magnified a hundred times over..and anyone who passes through their habitat is driven mad! Quite formidable, eh?

And as for the ring, well..I would make it so it adapts to its environment. If anyone loses it, it would be very hard to find. They might go mad trying to find it.

[ September 08, 2002: Message edited by: Ringwraith Number Two ]
Ringwraith Number Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 09:24 AM   #13
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

What about little oompa loompas? They are employed by Galadriel and other noble elves to help her make lembas and hithlain! And my ring change color to match whatever outfit I'm wearing!
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 03:21 AM   #14
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

I did invent a race: they're called 'Blambs' - and they'rer humanoid except they have exaggerated Mongoloid-like eyes, like lines, kinda like this: - -
o
contary to their gruesome appearance they're the good guys. the bad guys are the Sagds. cool, eh? i invented them when i was a little girl and needed something to play with.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:12 AM   #15
targaeriel

Ring

I'd make the ring out of White Gold and it would have an inner reddish glow, which remind of flames. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] Of course there must be some runes on it.
Old 09-19-2002, 09:50 PM   #16
bombur
Wight

bombur has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I'd make hotrolls, crosbreeds of hobbit and troll... kind of like dog crossbreed of bernhardian or dane and chihuahua or chineese... ah nevermind. Would serve the function of perplexing everyone though.

[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
bombur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 02:04 AM   #17
elengil
Haunting Spirit

elengil has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I'd make faeries. Sort of like step-cousins to Elves.

Immortal, wings, but posessing less inherrant power.

Fair, with voices like crystal, but small. Maybe only five foot at most. And posessing also an inner light.

More laughter but less pure joy. Less grief but less capacity to endure it. More prone to pranks and less to great wisdom.

I suppose it would be like an elf crossed with a hobbit when it all comes down to it.
Old 09-20-2002, 01:21 PM   #18
NazgulNumberTen
Shade of Carn Dûm

NazgulNumberTen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NazgulNumberTen
The Eye

i'd make monkey-fish-people
...i'm weird...
Old 10-01-2002, 05:30 AM   #19
The Gollum

Ring

We would make a nice race that has wings and is made to hunt down bagginses (who are nasty and evil and stole our precious) and other hobbits and takes their ring (which we would make so it cannot run from us) and brings it back to us! We would like that very much.

Yes, Monkey-Fish people are very odd, we thinks.
Old 10-01-2002, 07:38 AM   #20
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

hobbitlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well Eruwen, one thing we've got going for us if we ever came across your creature....its smell. If I smelled it I'd bolt!
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2002, 02:49 PM   #21
Robin Headstrong
Haunting Spirit

Robin Headstrong has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Robin Headstrong
Sting

I have some ideas for creatures:

Kei'nai - I'm actually planning on using this race in a fantasy story I'm working on. Basically canine humanoids. Their faces are somewhat wolf-like, but the snouts are a little flatter than real wolves. Their ears point upwards and have very sharp hearing. The Kei-nai are sleek and agile, and they each have the ability to transform into a certain animal.

Oculan (pronounced Ohk-you-lahn) - An Oculan looks like a little eyeball, roughly the size of a tennis ball, with tiny legs sticking out of the bottom and big bat-like wings on the back. The Oculans could be used as spies, flying around and "eyeing" various things.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:52 PM   #22
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

I would make people that could fly. Sort of half-eagle, half human. With wings and talons, but opposable thumbs.

And my ring would be of twisted silver (sort of Celtic in design) but with a dark blue set surrounded by carved waves.

And yes, I have been planning those for a while.

I already have the flying monkeys with freaky blue faces under my control - Fly, my pretties! Fly!
Old 10-01-2002, 03:52 PM   #23
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

cyntaurs! its the human-animal bond that is definitly missing. my story has daemons(demons)in it. sort of tempermental element type things
Losthuniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 05:09 PM   #24
Narlothgulwendil

Silmaril

Yes, it is I! One of the sole people on the Barrowdowns who actually has seen the Chronocals and knows what they are. Anyhow, on to the subject:
Yes, wrelves and wrobbits are definitely an ingenius possibility (of course ingenius, I helped with the names, but then again, we all sort of contributed. Oops, I'm ranting again. Must stop)
I can't think of any new species, except for my Laks. They're mostly like humans, except for scaly, flipperish feet (don't ask, I have no idea as to how I came up with them, though I was probably under the influence of Tolkien).
And about the Ring: Dark bleu (to go with the sheets) or plaid, perhaps just to **** off all those color coordinators. Or maybe hematite. That would be cool. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2002, 02:05 PM   #25
Gayahithwen
Wight

Gayahithwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gayahithwen Send a message via MSN to Gayahithwen Send a message via Yahoo to Gayahithwen
Sting

I like the Oculans..

I would just remove the tiny little legs and add some fire.. Wait a minute, haven't this been done before? (A great lidless eye, surrounded by flames.. :Þ)

Ah, but otherwise I would make some sort of fantasy creature.. I actually thought up a really great one during science class the other week (using some simple nature laws for model).. But I don't have the paper where I wrote down the facts about them here.. But they are some kind of 'staff-looking' creatures with magical abilities.. I'm still trying to develop a language for the world they'll be living in, so now they are just known as the 'staff-people' original, huh?

I would make the ring.. invisible! bwahaha! and I would make sure nobody else got attracted to it and that I didn't turn evil.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:14 PM   #26
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hee hee hee...I wouldn't modify the one ring or the races. All I would do is NAME AND CREATE ALL RINGS OF MEN! BWAHAHAAAAA!(why is that evil? I dunno, don't ask ME!)
Well, naturally, one of the rings would go to meeee, the Black Lady of Gondor...heh heh heh. And has anyone else noticed Aragorn is ALWAYS wearin a silver ring with some stone in it?
Old 05-15-2003, 05:39 PM   #27
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Sting

I'd make pixies.. very short, and immensely hard to spot. They would have wings, and would be the keepers of the night, posessing an inner glow and sprinkling pixie dust over all to make them go to sleep [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] and in the day, they would be nearly invisible, only occasionally could one hear their laughter..

As for the ring, I would make it absolutely transparent.. but within a certain proximity of flames, or ice, it would create an illusion of flame, or ice. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2003, 05:50 PM   #28
Arafangwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: WtR: 413 miles/Floating happily across the floor in the arms of The Phantom.....
Arafangwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Arafangwen Send a message via AIM to Arafangwen
Silmaril

I would make MY ring, a silvery blue, as if it were a frosted blue something or another. I would also make a race called the Raigo, 6'8" average though very skinny, leaf shaped ears, red skin, cat like eyes which are always fuchia, always bald too. Don't ask.
Sillabub, been searching for something in particular? You seem to have dug up quite the ammount of old threads.
Arafangwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 10:09 PM   #29
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A race? Hmm...

The Ocsids, who would be six inches shorter than the average Man, humanoid in appearance save their unusually long legs and arms. They'd have strange hairdos, the norm being huge poofy balls of hair. They would also have an obsession with shiny things and bang strange beats on their drums all night. They would mainly enjoy dancing to these drums and are killer martial artists. And they'd love Gondor, just 'cause I said so.

As for the Ring? It'd be white gold. Because white gold will RULE THEM ALL!
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 04:30 AM   #30
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My book features faeries, elves, dwarves, gnomes, goblins, humans, sprites, nymphs, dragons, and spirits. So far.

My own creation is a race of spirits called the Narath. And the only thing that is confirmed so far is the way they age.

The Narath age like a typical year. Not that they live for a year... they can live for hundreds of thousands of years. But they change as the seasons do.

In their childhood, the Narath are like the spring. They blossom and have a bright, sunny air to them. The spring theme applies to everything: their hair, complexion, clothing, and character.
So a young Narath would wear pale pinks, peaches, blues, greens, etc. sort of pastel colours. Their hair would be pale blonde, their eyes blue/green, and their mood happy and carefree.

As young adults, they move into the summer. Everything about them is golden. Sunny, copper, bronze, warm. Golden bronze clothing, darker blonde hair, almost into a light brown, green/hazel eyes. Slightly more serious but still very carefree.

As mature adults, the summer fades into Autumn. They wear browns and greens and rich reds and oranges, still perhaps some summery colours as well. Their eyes and hair are brown, and they are wiser and more serious.

As they move into old age, their hair turns silver, and their eyes grey. They wear silvers and pale wintry colours, like pale blue. They are now the wisest and most solemn of all the Narath.

This way of ageing reflects the fact that the Narath are very close to nature. When they die, they become part of the earth, and throughout life they live in the most solitary parts of the world, eg. the deepest forests.

I would make the One Ring silver. With pale blue writing.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:00 AM   #31
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love your idea about the Narath Meela... How'd you come up with something like that anyway? That's very good!

If I could make the One Ring I would make it silver with emerald green writing.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 08:37 AM   #32
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Ty, Tinuviel! I don't know where the idea came from. I spose I was just thinking about spirits. I love the idea of them. The Narath were the first creatures to dwell on the Mortal Plane, and were created by Athalin the Earth Mother. It was an ongoing idea, trying to create a bunch of races. They just popped up! I think it stemmed from the idea that Athalin created the earth, actually. Her daughter Elenai, Daughter of the River, went to the Mortal Plane, and then I decided that the closest creatures to gods were spirits. After that it would gradually get more mortal, ie. Elves, then dwarves, then men.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:56 PM   #33
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

My friends would make a ring that changes colors. It would control clepto-maniacs like myself. (In other words: a person with too many split personalities)
Old 05-16-2003, 08:44 PM   #34
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Meela: Brilliant. Simply brilliant!

I'd make a new species called the Rihls. They are small about 7 in. high. Originally they have sea green skin that sometimes changes to a clear invisible hue to blend vaguely into its surroundings. Their hands and feet are long and slender. Also, the Rihls' eyes are large, almond shape and vary in beautiful colors such as deep red (Mountain Rihls), shimmering purple (Sky Rihls--mostly associated with the night sky), icy blue (Sea Rihls), and ivy green (Earth or Tree Rihls)--depending on which group they belong to.

They have magic powers such as making light in dark places, helping things grow, healing wounds or illnesses—that seem beyond aid, making people tell the truth, jumping very far distances (up to a hundred feet), running very fast (so that you cannot even see them), and the ability to transform into a special kind of flower that is identified solely with the Rihlian race. The flower has a thin, almost transparent stem with thin, shiny leaves that glitter. The petals are white and sparkly as well. The flowers are also how the Rihls are born. Their mother bears a seed and plants it in the ground, praying to the Queen Rihl--immortal, fairest, and wisest of Rihls--to give it life. Then the Queen Rihl will bless it and the seed will grow into a flower that will bloom on the first full moon becoming a Rihl. Throughout their life-span, the Rihl will be able to transform into this flower in order to hide from predators or humans (and elves or dwarves) with evil intentions for their power.

---They are very much like fairies except very wise---

Of course they love to cause mischief!!

-Maikafanawen

PS I'd make the ring ... green ... my favorite color. Although I like Rynoah's idea of making it white-gold. V v v pretty. Yes but, I'd make it green with gold writing. Kind of tacky me thinks actually.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:57 PM   #35
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

My race would be vampire/bat/hobbit/elf

Scarry. A short little creature that wars all black and has fands. Point ears and has small little bat wings. I'm scared [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img].

As for a ring I'd make it multi-cloroed. No kust-kidding. I would probely go with silver, black, or red. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2003, 06:08 AM   #36
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Quote:
Meela: Brilliant. Simply brilliant!
Thank you very much! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] its nice to be able to share my ideas with other people.
I simply adore the Rihls! They are beautiful! If I could come up with another race, I would love to have them as my idea!