The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-31-2002, 07:13 PM   #1
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril Tolkien 2005

I recently came across this online...
It is for a 50th anniversary celebration that will be occurring in 2005. Plans are already underway apparently... http://www.tolkiensociety.org/2005/
I wish I lived a little closer because I would go!
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 07:17 PM   #2
QuickSlash
Wight

QuickSlash has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to QuickSlash Send a message via Yahoo to QuickSlash
Sting

If it was in the States, I'd go in a heartbeat. ^_^ I know a few people that would love to go to that. Maybe someone should get something similar going over here. (hint hint!)
Old 05-31-2002, 07:18 PM   #3
Tarthang
Wight

Tarthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Damn! Wish I lived in the UK. I'd have me some tickets already.
Tarthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 07:26 PM   #4
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't wish I live in the UK. I wish I could go to convention, but I don't want to live in the UK
Old 05-31-2002, 10:26 PM   #5
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took
Haunting Spirit

Bramblerose Gamgee-Took has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That would be fun to go to. Too bad UK is so far away for me [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Bramblerose Gamgee-Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 10:55 PM   #6
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That would be cool to go to, but of course, I also live in the States. And I agree with Gimli, I don't want to live in the UK either. And for those of you who live in the U.S., you could checkTolkiengathering.com for a event that could happen in the States.

~M
Old 06-01-2002, 10:21 AM   #7
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

Thank you, tigerlily and Morquesse, that was interesting.
Old 06-01-2002, 01:55 PM   #8
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

EEEE!!! I live close enough to England, and I will go!!! Gonna try and get a ticket very soon.... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 02:35 PM   #9
Aosama, the Wandering Star
Wight

Aosama, the Wandering Star has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Both are too expensive and too far away for me. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
As soon as I can though, I'm coming to one of those! They sound like fun! *sigh*
Have fun, even though I won't be there. Tell me all about it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Aosama, the Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 06:46 AM   #10
Melephelwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Melephelwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

What about Tolkien's 111th birthday? Is there going to be any celebration of that? It's next year (2003) on the 3rd of January.
And we dance beneath the moon
Melephelwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 07:16 AM   #11
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

What a good idea. At the least, the Downs should have a celebration.

sharon, the 7th age hobbit
Old 06-06-2002, 08:51 AM   #12
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

111! How very cool! Too bad he won't be alive to celebrate it like Bilbo was. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 11:48 AM   #13
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

WOW!!!!! Tolkien will be 111 on my 18th birthday!!!!!!!!

is that cool or what? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 12:51 PM   #14
Eärendil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eärendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hehe, oh yeah... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
So, what do you say, having a party that day? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Jag ska aldrig göra dig illa. Inte igen. Åtminstone inte mycket, åtminstone inte hårt. Kommer du ihåg? Då vi fortfarande kunde skratta, le på ett äkta vis. Jag tänker på det ibland. Det smärtar. För aldrig har du väl varit. Längre bort. Från mig.
Eärendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 02:51 PM   #15
Maikadilwen
Summoner of Lost Souls

Maikadilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

We're definitely going to celebrate. Yay, Tolkiens birthday.
Old 10-19-2002, 08:55 AM   #16
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Is anyone else actually going to this event - I've bought a ticket, & am hoping to attend. I also attended my first Oxonmoot with the Tolkien Society who are organising this event. It was in September, & we got to visit The Professor's grave. For those of you who aren't familiar with it. The grave is about 2-2 1/2 feet high, light grey marble, with the Beren & Luthien inscripton on it. Its an ordinary grave in an ordinary cemetary, with just a little wooden sign to indicate where to find it. Its in the Catholic section of the cemetary - lots of graves of Poles who stayed in the UK after the war.
There was a reading from the Two Towers - the part where Frodo & Sam leave Faramir & set off for the Crossroads, then a Society member sang Galadriel's lament in Elvish. After the 'ceremony' I was able to get a few seconds to kneel by the grave & place my hand on the earth.

Anyway, back to the main question - is anyone else planning to attend Tolkien 2005?
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 11:36 PM   #17
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

There should be some type of celebration... I mean, eleventy-one is a rather interesting number. Even though Tolkien isn't alive, there should be something to recognize his birthday.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:49 AM   #18
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Davem, that sounded like it came straight from the trilogy!

I might go, since by then, I'd be having my own job. Maybe I would. But I'd have to think of who to bring with me.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 10:08 AM   #19
Anastasia
Haunting Spirit

Anastasia has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Anastasia
Sting

I want to go sooooooooooooooooo much!!!!!!
It costs £20 (4 weeks pocket-money) + a trip to Birmingham (have to save up even more!)

I'm also going to oxford this week to visit everything to do with Tolkien there!!!!
That's the great thing about living in Britain...£7 and youre there!!!
Old 10-22-2002, 07:47 AM   #20
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Anastacia, Don't miss the Eagle & Child pub (or 'the bird & baby') where Tolkien & the other Inklings met on Tuesday mornings. There's a whole bunch of photos of Tolkien, Lewis, etc. There's also a letter from them all to the Landlord on the wall, saying something along the lines of 'We, the undersigned, having partaken of your ham, have just drunk your health'. Its signed by Tolkien himself, Lewis, Christopher Tolkien & a few others. You feel really 'close' to them all in a way in there.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:21 AM   #21
Nilwen
Haunting Spirit

Nilwen has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

That all sounds so cool,but me being in Texas it is all a little out of reach for me.I hope to go to the UK one and see the sites.
Old 10-22-2002, 01:25 PM   #22
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Wow, I posted this a while ago [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

For those who are in the US or Canada... check out my post "Gathering 2003" in the "Barrow-Downs" section of the forum. This gathering is more of a movie gathering, but there is a lot of other stuff going on there as well... http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin...&f=14&t=000871
Old 10-23-2002, 02:34 AM   #23
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yes!! i heard about this when i wanted to go to oxonmoot in september but by parents said i was too young and they didn't want to have to take me! i sooo want to go i'll be 18 yes! i can go on my own! i wonder if i can convince my parents! who else is going?
hope to see you there! And ohh by the way England is the best! so there!
(okay America is cool too!)
Old 10-23-2002, 06:53 PM   #24
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

I am sure that England is lovely... I just haven't been able to afford to take a trip over there yet - perhaps by 2005 I will be able to. I will be in Toronto in 2003 for sure.
Old 10-24-2002, 02:24 AM   #25
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Sting

Well, I just got the first booklet sent out by the Tolkien Society about 2005. It looks very good - there are about 14 people (so far) from the US attending. Its going to be an expensive year for us Tolkien Society members - Oxonmoot is happening as well teh following month. They're planning to have a showing of the whole trilogy in the special edition, so that will be the closest i suppose I'll get to seeing the whole thing on the 'big screen' - it won't be the full cinematic experience, but it will be on a large video screen, in a theatre of fans. Hope I can kep my excitement under control.
Its really going to be a once in a lifetime event. 50 years since the LotR was published.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:42 PM   #26
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Silmaril

Supposidly, from what I understand... the event in Toronto is going to show all three on the bi screen. It coinsides with the openin of Return of the King.
I believe that the plan in to show The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers and then move on to the first viewing of Return of the King.
This is what it sounds like to me.
All I know is that I can't wait for the experience of viewing Return of the King for the first time with a whole group of Tolkien fans who are all seeing for the first time. It will be the best audience film experience ever!

[ October 25, 2002: Message edited by: Tigerlily Gamgee ]
Old 01-08-2005, 02:26 PM   #27
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
It's 2005 - time to dig up this thread and see if any of us are planning to attend the 'Tolkien 2005' event. I've been looking at the website, and the guest list is illustrious and highly interesting. I am definitely interested and unless something happens to stop me, I plan to register and book accomodations soon. It would be fun to have a get-together with other Downs members there - anyone else want to come too?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:35 PM   #28
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Im definately thinking of going. I live near, in fact only just outside of birmingham so ive no problem of getting there. Its going to be real cool if i manage to see some of you lot there! please go .

If you go on to the aston university website, and then click on the road network around birmingham link, I live in the little town called aldridge.

Last edited by Phervasaion; 01-09-2005 at 12:41 PM.
Phervasaion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:56 PM   #29
davem
Illustrious Ulair

I have my ticket (have had for about two years) & I'm planning on dragging Lalwende with me.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:26 AM   #30
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

Plan no longer! For the postman has just arrived and my booking is confirmed.