The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-02-2003, 10:34 PM   #1
Dunlondion
Pile O'Bones

Dunlondion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Swan Knights

Any of you that read my other Forum post will know that I love the swan knights and Dol Amroth. So in this post I would like to get some information on the Swan Knights because no one told me about them last time [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] But I aim to get more inf this time thanks [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Dunlondion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 07:03 PM   #2
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

?
Old 04-03-2003, 07:19 PM   #3
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

Quote:
So in this post I would like to get some information on the Swan Knights because no one told me about them last time
What exactly are you looking for? There isn't a whole lot to tell. The best thing I can tell you to do is read the book and glean what you can from the few instances that they are mentioned.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:54 PM   #4
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

As Bruce says, there isn't really very much info. We know they were in the forefront of the Battle of the Pelennor Fields, specifically in the cavalry charge to cover the retreat of the outcompanies and the advance from Minas Tirith after the ride of the Rohirrim. From one of Tolkien's letters, we know that troops looked similar to those on the Bayeux tapestry. The knights would therefore presumably be mounted on un-barded horses and equipped with helmets, chain mail and lances and swords, like Duke William's Norman knights.

The knights would likely be derived from the nobility of Dol Amroth and the surrounding countryside. As nobility are often related, perhaps many of them could have had a (very small) proportion of elvish ancestry as did Prince Imrahil, being descended from Imrazor and Niphrellas (I think!).

As for numbers, we know that a company of mounted knights and a long line of men at arms on foot were provided by Dol Amroth, probably 700-800 in all. A company is generally 100 to 200 men. There would surely have been more troops left in Dol Amroth to protect it from the corsairs, though I'd guess the comment that 'they've only sent a tithe (1/10) of their strength' was inaccurate.

The forces of Dol Amroth fought under the Swan banner, thus Swan knights.
Old 04-03-2003, 11:05 PM   #5
Chancellen the True
Pile O'Bones

Chancellen the True has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Tuor led The People of The Swan in Gondolin. It was the symbol he chose for himself and his family. I don't know if they are related in any way. Maybe the people of Dol Amroth are decendents of Tuor. Possibly from a daugter or a second or third son of one of the kings of Gondor. Of course, I'm just shooting in the dark, but it is a possibility. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2003, 03:58 AM   #6
Afrodal Fenyar
Haunting Spirit

Afrodal Fenyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
I don't know if they are related in any way. Maybe the people of Dol Amroth are decendents of Tuor
Well, some lords probably are, as Tuor was the grandfather of Elros Tar-Minyatur, who was the king of Nûmenor, and the kings of Gondor were his descendants. Surely some prince married kings daughter or something. But I doubt there's any other relation.

~Eomer
Afrodal Fenyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 01:13 PM   #7
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I still don't get what you want to know.

~Burzdol~