The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2002, 11:14 AM   #1
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Airehiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Did you feel sad at the end of the LOTR book?

When I was just about finished reading the Lord of the Rings for the first time, I sat it down with about 50 pages left to read. I didn't pick it back up for 2 weeks. I think I was subconsciously avoiding it because when I get to the end of a book that is so involved and that I love so much, I get sad. It is like leaving behind my best friends, and not being able to enter that favorite world again. It's almost like a part of me is missing for sometime. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Now, I hear about how weird I am very often, is this just another element of my weirdness, or are there others in the world like me, who get so attached to something that they are saddened when the experience is over?
Old 12-13-2002, 11:20 AM   #2
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Don't worry. You're not weird. I'm the same way. (Uh, oh, Maybe we're BOTH weird!) ;P When I was reading the part when they are in the mines of Moria, and Gandalf was reading from the book, I started to get the shivers. I knew that something bad was going to happen.It was like what Gandalf was reading was an omen. And I started to get really scared.

I also hate it when people die, whether they're good or evil. I'll become very angry at the author for killing them off.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:25 AM   #3
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

I know how you feel, I have cried when some of my favorite characters die. (Does this clearly send the message that I am a woman, or what?!)
Perhaps we both are weird! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2002, 11:27 AM   #4
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

Yes! Precisely! That is EXACTLY how I felt! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
I never like finishing good books, because you know that you won't learn anything new about what they did the newxt day, for instance. Especially LotR, when por Sam goes over the sea, I always kinda hoped that Tolkien had actually written about it, it is too interesting to just be "Sam is the last ringbearer to go over the Sea", in my opinion. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2002, 11:58 AM   #5
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i cried when characters died
i am also very attached. i get like this with any film or book, and i always will myself to believe that the characters dont actually part forever, but go round each others homes for tea, or something! (not quite like the tea though..)
but i always cry at the thought of people who have been together throughout something, like lotr, splitting up and going their seperate ways
Old 12-13-2002, 03:18 PM   #6
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

Airehiriel:

First of all, welcome!

Now to answer your question: Yes, I understand what you mean because when I read the last line of RoTK I felt the same way!

I hated to say goodbye to Frodo, Sam, Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Merry, Pippin, Arwen, Eomer, Eowyn, and Faramir! I hated to say goodbye because I had gone through so much with these people and through it all they all became as dear to me as my friends in real life!

When I read the last line of RoTK, I sighed because I knew that no matter how many times I reread LOTR I will never have the same experience again as I did reading it for the first time!

It's hard to say goodbye to the people of Middle-Earth and it's an experience I will
never forget!
Old 12-13-2002, 05:31 PM   #7
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

I cry an awful lot throughout the whole of The Return of the King...every time I read it.

Well, I cry all throughout "The Fellowship of the Ring" movie too, so I'm just weird...well, not ALL throughout. It comes and goes...
Old 12-13-2002, 08:09 PM   #8
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know how all of you feel! I hate finishing books, especially LOTR. I just wish it could go on and on so that I never have to part with all of those amazing people and characters. I ALWAYS cry when I read the end fo ROTK. *sniff sniff* actually, I'm nearly to that part now (my 5th time reading LOTR).
[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ December 13, 2002: Message edited by: Beruthiel ]
Old 12-13-2002, 10:55 PM   #9
Elvenglass
Haunting Spirit

Elvenglass has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elvenglass
Silmaril

I know excactly what you mean. I always get sad near the end of books (especially LotR) But then I read it again! And again....and again. *sigh*. But they're so great. I cried when Boromir died though. *sniff sniff* Anyways glad to see that I am not alone. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2002, 12:08 PM   #10
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

After I finished LotR for the first time I didn't read another book for a couple of months. I just didn't feel like it, because every book I thought about reading paled in comparison to the great masterpiece I'd just finished. Plus, I didn't want to obfuscate my recollections of LotR by piling other books on top of it.

But like I said, it only lasted a couple months. You gotta go on again sometime...and I can always open up LotR whenever I want to and read it again.

It seems to be just females responding in this thread, doesn't it? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2002, 12:59 PM   #11
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
It seems to be just females responding in this thread, doesn't it?
Yup. Sorry, I won't break the trend either. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Whenever I get to the end of LOTR, I always want to cry and go back to the time when everything was perfect, Bilbo and Frodo in the shire. That is part of the reason why FOTR is my fav book. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2002, 01:04 PM   #12
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh, it's always females who reply these emotional threads.

Anyway, I was always sad that Merry and Pippin would never see Frodo again, and that he almost got away with out telling them again. I always wanted some kind of fellowship reunion, I bet if they were all females they'd have a monthly meeting or something.
Old 12-14-2002, 02:25 PM   #13
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

It's nice to know that I am not alone in this experience. It seems a very difficult thing to put down a good book. And a very sad thing when it is all over. Sometimes I find myself getting resistant to reading a new book because I know how I will feel! It's like leaving your real friends behind. I am very glad to know that others join me. And I cried during FOTR, too! Especially the scene where Boromir died and the scene where Sam was going to drown for Frodo!!
So moving. They did a good job with the movie. Now I hope the next one will keep up the quality.
Old 12-14-2002, 04:33 PM   #14
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Quote:
I always wanted some kind of fellowship reunion, I bet if they were all females they'd have a monthly meeting or something.
Well, then here is something that might interest you. Not exactly a touching or emotional reunion, mind you, but pretty funny. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] (Make sure you read Kalimac's).
Old 12-14-2002, 05:06 PM   #15
Aroaraniel
Wight

Aroaraniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aroaraniel
Ring

I thought it was really sad! Especially because Merry and Pippin wouldn't ever see Frodo and Gandalf and everyone again...like someone already said. I thought that was really sad...
Aroaraniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 05:24 PM   #16
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lordy,lordy. Those posts were hystairical. Thank you Diamond18, you really help cheer me up after reading this emotional topic.

To get to the point, I also believe that when I finish reading an epic like LOTR, I feel like there is some void inside me and like I've just moved away from very good friends. That just proves how good a writer Tolkien really was. Only a talented author could make you feel such devotion for its characters. For example, when Sam says, "Well, I'm back.", you can't help but feel that even those characters you love are gone or seperated, that everything is all right and life will move on. That line, in a way, closes the story and the Appendixes open it back up and leave it open, creating that void. Just a little of my philosophy for you there. Hope you liked it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2002, 09:07 PM   #17
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Another girl here...

I always cry when I finish Return of the King. It's like losing a good--a best friend. Or several dozen of them. When it comes to the VERY end, the part with Frodo telling Merry, Pippin, and Sam his final good-byes, I just fall apart. I have a hard time finishing it because my tears are blurring the words. My mother has always tried to convince me that it's really a happy ending, that everybody's happy with their lot in life at the end, and Sam even gets reunited with Frodo after all, but I just can't deal with it anyway. Like Sam, I thought that Frodo would be able to stay and enjoy the Shire. /sigh/ I guess it's that "realism" thing again. I guess it was all for the best. But I know that I always cry when I read the end, and I'm bringing several boxes of tissue to the Return of the King when it comes out next December.

~*~Orual~*~
PS: Four days!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2002, 09:41 PM   #18
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i get sad because i don't have anything worth reading when i'm done with LOTR-you look at books that maybe a little while before seemed great but now seem goofy and ungainly in light of tolkien's masterpiece. tho the ending is rather bittersweet-i mean, yea, frodos going to valinor! however everyone else gets to stay in middle-earth and watch as elves disappear and men multiply-fun fun fun. oh yeah, they die eventually too-which must stink.

speaking of RoTK, i heard a nasty rumor ol' PJ was trying to get the rating for it down to R because there was so much killing! is it true? i'll be 17 by then, but still...

[ December 14, 2002: Message edited by: Demloth of Dol Amroth ]
Old 12-14-2002, 11:02 PM   #19
Pallando B.C
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pallando B.C has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Pallando B.C
Sting

I felt sad, only because I didn't know where they went.

That was the insperation to read the Silmarillion.

That was some time ago..........

Support The Aussies!
Pallando B.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 11:29 PM   #20
Gilbo
Animated Skeleton

Gilbo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

[img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
I read the trilogy for the first time when I was at sea, making America safe for democracy,millions of years ago.
A number of emotions came in to play.
Sadness, at the departure of friends
grief, because so much that was good left Middle Earth
Anger, because I turned the page and found appendixes, instead of more adventures.
I've read it about once a year since then, and I enjoy it just as much, every time.
Gilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 11:41 PM   #21
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

Oh wow was I sad. After I reading RotK I started to cry (being the extremely sensitive person I am). After that I probably sat on my bed for about 10 minutes trying to believe it was over. I was soo sad. LoL
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 06:29 AM   #22
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

All the people here are so emotional. Only one book had ever made me cry and that was C.S. Lewis' The Last Battle but I think that was just because I was tired, I can't quite remember. I takes a LOT to make me cry, believe you me, I've tried!
Old 12-15-2002, 12:19 PM   #23
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I just wish Tolkien had written more about hobbits.

Who wants to read about elves anyway? *ducks flying objects*
Old 12-15-2002, 12:31 PM   #24
Anmarwen

Silmaril

I was sooo sad as i finished the
first book, as Boromir died!I cried and thought: why??
And as Gandalf fell from the brigde in Moria
in the movie, i cried like i where Pippin or so..
But i dont think that this is wierdness!!
Not at all.. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Namarie
Anmarwen
Old 12-15-2002, 04:44 PM   #25
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hey im a male!

well i didnt cry but i sure felt gutted at the end of reading the book, i was like, it cant end this way, aragorn is miles away from gimli and legalos, the hobbits are splitting up and gandalf is off too. i thought it was really dissapointing as an ending but then i found... THE SILAMARILION hurrah! and the book of lost tales and unfinshed tales and all is well!
Old 12-16-2002, 10:47 AM   #26
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

It's nice to know that there are guys who are moved by the ending of a story. Even if it is not the same way us females get emotionally moved! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2002, 11:05 AM   #27
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Pipe

Oh, it was the only book I ever cried to! And I have this feeling that I'll be changed the second time I'll read it.

And everytime I see Boromir and Aragorn on that death scene, I shake and my eyes well up.

I almost did the same thing as you did, Airehiliel, but I didn't want the suspense to kill me. So I read the last 5 chapters alone in my room out loud, with the accents and all...and when I got to the "fab four" (as I call them now, after acouring the Shire the way they did) seeing each other for one last time, I cried. I'd memorize Frodo's speech by heart when I have the time, and I bet my eyes'll be wet when I'll get the chancec to know every word by heart.

[ December 16, 2002: Message edited by: Neferchoirwen ]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 06:42 PM   #28
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
I felt tears dwelling when I read the words: Well, I'm back. It was really sad to read Frodo go. Especialy the second time.
________
DODGE MAXXCAB HISTORY

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 01:10 PM   #29
Afrodal Fenyar
Haunting Spirit

Afrodal Fenyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey, I'm not a female. Guess what I am then.

But actually, I did feel kind of sad too. But it was more like "blah, it's over, no point in reading it again", I didn't cry at least :P Didn't feel sad at all during the book, those events didn't really touch me. But it's always boring when a book ends.

~Eomer
Afrodal Fenyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 10:46 PM   #30
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

After I finished reading LOTR I actually felt kind of let down! (I did not cry though) After the first time I was kind of mad that Frodo went to the Grey Havens (he went through all of that to save Middle Earth and now he is leaving [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Why?) I actually kind of felt like Sam (that is why I think that a whole bunch of people who have watched the films but have not read the books are going to be very surprised about how it ends, maybe that is why they keep showing Arwen and talking about the Grey Havens in TTT so that you know about it in ROTK *lightbulb moment*) But now I understand why he left, though I wish he had not.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:29 AM   #31
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Sting

I did feel sad towards the end when everyone was practically going their own ways. Then I felt dissapointed that this was happening, then I kind of felt angry. But when I finished the book I felt empty. Yes it was kind of like losing friends, losing that fantasy feeling, and coming back to reality. Some people might describe this as like coming down from a high, and maybe becoming depressed (if only for a short while), but it kind of wasn't like that for me. It was a weird feeling. It was relly foriegn to me and I didn't like it, I couldn't shake it off me either. I finished it and it was like 'ok, now what do I do' And it wasn't like being bored, it was kind of like something wasn't right, something was missing, and likie something else I can't describe. I finished it in the late afternoon on my bed and the sun was getting low. The window in my room faces the ocean and I remember sitting there by myself for a while. Then the sun started setting. It's kind of wierd because the setting of the sun is sort of symbolic with endings. And I don't like sunsets, yet I sat there watching it for a long time. I looked at the clock by my bed and went downstairs to watch the Simpsons.

That's what it was like for me my first time finishing the book. I get those feelings every time, but it isn't nearly as big as the first time I finished it. And I never feel that way efter the Hobbit because once I finish that, then it's off to the Fellowship and LotR.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 12:51 PM   #32
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Silmaril

I was VERY sad [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]! When I read the books I read them quickly wanting to know what was going to happen but by the time I was on my last chapter I took forever not wanting it to end. But I finished it with a teary face and guess what I did I read LOTR again and again and no it did not get boring every time it felt like a new adventure! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 01:20 PM   #33
Faramir Fan
Haunting Spirit

Faramir Fan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I hate it when I get to the end of ROTK, which usually prompts me to pick up FOTR and start again - lol.
"A new character has come on the scene (I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, but there he came walking into the woods of Ithilien): Faramir, the brother of Boromir..." J.R.R. Tolkien, Letters No. 66
Faramir Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 02:58 PM   #34
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

It's to bad the book had to end. It's also kind've to bad that frodo wasn't able to, 'enjoy the shire for years and years', as Sam (and probably all of us too) had hoped. I don't really feel sad though, just wish there were more books close to being as good as Tolkien's were. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

[ April 23, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 09:19 PM   #35
Luinalatawen
Wight

Luinalatawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinalatawen
Eye

Yes, I did, I always feel sad because the Hobbits (and others) who have been through so much together are split up and some never see certain other characters again. I also want to go back and read the whole adventure again once I finish.

So here's my 100th post, I have acquired Wight status. It's taken me 4 months to do so. GRRRRRRR. I wish the posts came faster!
Old 04-25-2003, 01:53 AM   #36
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

Quote:
So here's my 100th post, I have acquired Wight status. It's taken me 4 months to do so. GRRRRRRR. I wish the posts came faster!
Status and your number of posts don't matter Luinalatawen. Don't worry about how many posts you have. All that matters it what you post, it's quality not quantity. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

That's just my advice, if you don't want it, well I'm fine with that.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 01:20 PM   #37
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Sting

Tell me about it! When Eowyn died I cried buckets...even though it was obvious she was coming back. I didn't really like Theoden ( to self: [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] how dare you speak of the characters like that!?) but I still cried when he died. LOTR is a book I treasure so much...
"And he sang to them, now in the Elven tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness."
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:07 PM   #38
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

Depending on which book, yes and no. The first two, no, because I knew that there was more to come. The third book, most definately. I saying goodbye to characters that I learn to love (and even ) at the end of a trilogy, series, whatever. I always want to read it again. And again. And again. And again...
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 06:39 AM   #39
The Inebriated Surat

Shield

This is a common trait! But There are more books and unending amounts of other products! Plus Forum's are just Great! It is impossable to do everything there is to do with LOTR!!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2003, 04:08 PM   #40
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I never really cried during LOTR except at the end. I felt like I had been through so much with these characters. I had experienced all their fears and triumphs and then suddenly it was over. I was sad that Frodo couldn't stay in the shire for many many years because at first I thought he would.
I usually don't cry when someone dies except if I was very Very attached to them.

(For those who get emotional while reading books don't read Mists of Avalon I cried buckets at the end of the book)