The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2008, 07:52 AM   #681
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I forgot all about this. I've got all the words translated, but I haven't made them fit yet.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:07 AM   #682
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Well, until you post the correct answer along with where this quote comes from, everyone has the chance to claim the victory.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #683
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I don't know about some others, but I'd like a hint.

You could, for example, translate that dakryous there.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:43 AM   #684
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
That's exactly the one I would like to keep hidden as long as possible. Would you mind picking something else?

Well, I can tell you it's a noun. A plural noun. And it is the object of the sentence (of "ymeis", that it). That much has to suffice.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 02-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #685
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I guess it must be this:

Dakryous myriona ymeis ekcheeite; kai _____ peribalousin _______ kata ymas, kai ekbalousin ymas exo, ina mete echo tou odyrmou ymon metabesetai dia ton oron.

"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains"

(Since I work in a medical profession I recognized "Dacryo" as refering to tears )
Old 02-06-2008, 02:05 AM   #686
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up

Goood, good! Very good! Yes, that's what I thought - someone may know some words from elsewhere Well done, Guinevere, your turn!
Old 02-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #687
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thank you, Legate! Btw, this was interesting, I didn't know what "Koine Greek" was, and so I looked it up . It's amazing how many languages you know!!
Unfortunately I am not able to bring something so exotic, and am lazy to boot, so it'll be plain German today. (If too easy, I'll bring up Swissgerman again next time )

Quote:
"Nun, wenn du daran Freude hast," sagte ______, "so tust du mir leid. Es wird nur eine Freude in der Erinnerung sein."
Old 02-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #688
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Just to make sure

Is the book Lotr or some other? I just can't remember where something like that was.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #689
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Its from LotR alright. ( from RotK to be precise; if that's any help to you )
Old 02-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #690
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
My first post in this thread since the 22nd October 2006

garr that just confuses me even more. . .I really need to brush up my german.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #691
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Palantir-Green

Thanks, it did.

Quote:
"Well, if that is what you find pleasure in," said Frodo, "I pity you. It will be a pleasure of memory only, I fear."
There were a few passages where I thought it might be, and that was the second I checked. Well, somehow I missed that particular quote there, and had then no idea where to look for.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:20 PM   #692
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Yep, that's it, Aganzir.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #693
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Shall we have some Swedish, then?

Quote:
"Ni har blivit räddade från själva de farliga djupen," sade han. "Räddas man från drunkning, betyder förlusten av kläder intet."
Old 02-11-2008, 09:52 AM   #694
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
But Tom shook his head, saying: "You've found yourselves again, out of the deep water. Clothes are but little, if you escape from drowning."
But if it's that, I must say that the translator has taken some liberties...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #695
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

It's that, and don't look at me. I admit taking it from the Swedish translation instead of translating myself. *insert angelic smilie*
Old 02-16-2008, 09:10 AM   #696
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Okay, some Finnish.

Quote:
Gimli pysähtyi ja kumartui maahan. "En kuule muuta kuin kasvien ja kivien öistä puhetta", hän sanoi. "Tule! Kiiruhtakaamme! Muut ovat poissa näkyvistä."
Old 02-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #697
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

After a long and hard work, and with a little help from a walking dictionary called Aganzir, I have it. I asked just for a few words, though, I think three or so (tule, muuta/muut and kuule). Otherwise, there were just confirmations whether my finds were correct (and mostly, they were not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlórien
Gimli halted and stooped to the ground. "I hear nothing but the night speech of plant and stone," he said. "Come! Let us hurry! The others are out of sight."
You can see the parts through which my thought process went, from:
Quote:
Gimli stabbed his axe into the tree. "This cart is not going anywhere," he said. "Come! Let us go! Others are fishing/eating sheep (not sure on this one) meanwhile."
Through more concrete:
Quote:
Gimli did something. "I don't hear other? else? something something." he said. "Come! Let us (go or something). Others something."

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 02-19-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:20 AM   #698
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

The first quote is, of course, right but the second one made me laugh hysterically. But anyway, it's your thread.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:32 AM   #699
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

A quick parting shot...

Quote:
"Děkuji vám!" řekl Smíšek. "V tom případě bych prosil zpět svůj váček, který není váš a cestoval se mnou daleko. Zabalte si koření do vlastních hadrů."
I was some time since I posted something Czech, and I don't want to come up with anything complicated, so here you have it. I am away for a week, so plenty time for you to come up with something
Old 02-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #700
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Smíšek :D

Quote:
'Thank you!’ said Merry. ‘In that case I will have my pouch back, which is not yours and has journeyed far with me. Wrap the weed in a rag of your own.'
Merry to Saruman, concerning the matter of comparative worth of petty criminals

I'll be checking in and out for your confirmation today in case you aren't gone yet, otherwise I'll look back here in a week

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:18 PM   #701
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Lucky you Yes, that's right. You may continue. Now I can leave with mind completely clean of unfulfiled duties
Old 02-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #702
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Lucky you
clever me, rather

Russian, since I'm too lazy to trouble myself with something more obscure (and Georgian would be way too obscure I guess)

Quote:
'Ia ne poidu' - skazal *******, - vo vsiakom sluchae, poka vsia drujina ne budet protiv menia. Chto skajut Legolas i malenki narodec? Golos khranitelia kolcia, konechno, doljen bit uslishan?

Old 03-16-2008, 12:19 PM   #703
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
"I will not go," said Boromir; 'not unless the vote of the whole company is against me. What do Legolas and the little folk say? The Ring-bearer's voice surely should be heard? '
NOTE: Messages have a certain minimum length limit now? I don't like it, makes last minute WW voting complicated.

EDIT: Ah, looks like one can't post just a quote on its own. Ok, nothing then.

Last edited by Volo; 03-16-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Volo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #704
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Limit was always there since we moved from Ezboard I beleive

As for the quote - right you are Volo

Old 03-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #705
Volo

Ok, great!

Quote:
- Nu? - lagidno zapitav golos. - chomu vy porushete mij zatishok? Nevzhe, vy ne daste meni spokoju ni vden, ni vnoch? - U Tsomu toni vchuvavsja dokir mjakogo sertsja, nezasluzheno skrivdzhenogo.
EDIT: *sigh*, well, that's Ukrainian.

Last edited by Volo; 03-17-2008 at 01:31 PM.
Volo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:20 PM   #706
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Am I allowed to answer? Not that Ukrainian is that similar to Czech, but...
Old 03-17-2008, 01:25 PM   #707
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up

All right. Whatever. It's a lovely quote, and appropriate at this time, anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Voice of Saruman
"Well?" it said now with gentle question. "Why must you disturb my rest? Will you give me no peace at all by night or day?" Its tone was that of a kindly heart aggrieved by injuries undeserved.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #708
Volo

Sure, your turn.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:18 PM   #709
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Tolkien

Time for some koine Greek again...

Quote:
Hama sou hémeis poreusometha tés hodou agousés duseós, kai makrothen heurésomen tén chóran pou kardiai hémón amfoin anapausein dynóntai.
For those who can read it, a variant in original script...

Quote:
Aμα σου ημεις πορευσομεθα της οδου αγουσης δυσεως, και μακροθεν ευρησομεν την χωραν που καρδιαι ημων αμφοιν αναπαυσειν δυνωνται.
Have fun
Old 05-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #710
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Leaf

What about a hint?
Old 05-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #711
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Oh my, now what was the original quote *tries to decipher - oh, how good I wrote the Greek script there...*¨

Aaah yeees, I know now!

hémeis/hémon - a form of "we" or "us" (the second being "our")
hodou - road or way
chóra - land

And again, I will suggest you try to look for words which, or whose parts would seem familiar to you. Right now I see at least two, one of which is quite obvious, another has a root inside it which can be thought of... possibly.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #712
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

I haven't forgotten this, I keep looking at it from time to time .
I found or guessed several words (those you gave I had already found) but others remain mysterious and the whole thing doesn't ring a bell.
(It took some time til I found that it has nothing to do with Háma!)

Here's what I get until now:

Simultaniously (....) we carried of the road (....) setting of the sun and from afar found (....) land where heart... (....) both stop again (....)

Perhaps someone else can make sense of this...
Old 06-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #713
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

It's actually very good and very close. I am sure someone could see the original quote in that.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #714
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Now you confirmed my guesses and I look at it again, it suddenly does ring a bell!!
Is it the end of the Ent & Entwife song?
Quote:
Together we will take the road that leads into the West
and far away will find a land where both our hearts may rest
Old 06-08-2008, 04:20 PM   #715
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Thumbs up

Definitely Well done! The thread is yours.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:36 PM   #716
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thank you, Legate!

Since Aganzir's German is too good I'll try Swiss-German dialect to make it more challenging.

"Ich bi sicher du häsch mir s'aller schwärste Züg gä. Ich ha Verbarme mit Schnägge, und allne wo ihri Hüser uf ihrem Rugge träged."
Old 06-25-2008, 12:51 AM   #717
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
White Tree A tad too challenging . . .

I see a lot of German, a bit of French, and a swarm of things that I need to check avec meinen Freundins großes Wörterbuch.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #718
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
"Ich bi sicher du häsch mir s'aller schwärste Züg gä. Ich ha Verbarme mit Schnägge, und allne wo ihri Hüser uf ihrem Rugge träged."
Came as far as this: I am sure that you have all heaviest ... I pity [snails?] and all who their houses on their back carry.

Frodo to Sam: "I am sure you have given me all the heaviest stuff. I pity snails, and all that carry their homes on their backs."

A funny dialect with some near-Dutch sounding words.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #719
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thumbs up That's it!

Well done, Cailin!
Swiss German dialect has some things in common with Dutch, like the guttural "ch" sound.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:13 AM   #720
Cailín
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cailín has just left Hobbiton.
New quotation

''Blijf hier maar zitten ... en kijk uit over de landen waar kommer en kwel zal neerkomen op degenen die jij aan mij hebt uitgeleverd. Want jij hebt het gewaagd me te bespotten.''

Hopefully in the future I'll have time to translate a part into another language, but as I have no time at the moment, this is what you're getting.
Cailín is offline   Reply With Quote