The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 07:47 PM   #641
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

It was chocolate and said "Congratulations to the Shire's Sexiest Hobbit". When the candles are blown out, Legolas comes out of the cake in a bikini. Thank the Valar, Bilbo vanished before the candles could actually be blown out.

- Why didn't Aragorn fall in love with Eowyn? -
Old 11-06-2002, 09:06 PM   #642
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Shield

Because he found out that at night she turns into an ogre, and who could love a hideous, loathsome monster?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What spells did Gandalf use when he tried to open the doors of Moria?
Old 11-06-2002, 09:06 PM   #643
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

being the preverse fellow he was,He was certain he could get someone to give up their immortality for him.

What was the name of Gimli's Axe?

[ November 06, 2002: Message edited by: Raefindel ]
Old 11-07-2002, 12:11 AM   #644
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gimli had owned that axe ever since he was a little Dwarfling. When it was first given to him, he admired it's shiny blade and asked his father "What is this?" His father lovingly replied "It is called 'tin'.", thinking it was a good sign that Gimli was showing an interest in metal at such a tender age.

But Gimli, being a rather scattered-brained little mite, misheard his dear ol' dad. " 'Tim"? Well, if you say so." And so his axe was know as "Tim" for the rest of his life.

(P.J. makes a subtle reference to this tender scene in the film, when Gimli strike the Ring and his axe breaks. Bound to happen, when you are wielding a tin axe.)

Why did Shadowfax choose to let Gandalf ride on his back, when he would allow no other rider?

[ November 07, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 11-07-2002, 12:17 AM   #645
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Since Diamond and Raefindel posted at the same time, I'll answer both questions!

"What spell did Gandalf use to open the Gates of Moria".

Actually, he didn't use a spell. He used WD-40. Those hinges were kinda rusty after all those years.
Repeating my question: Why did Shadowfax choose to let Gandalf ride on his back, when he would allow no other rider?
Old 11-07-2002, 02:34 AM   #646
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

Gandalf was famous for carrying all kinds of oddments in his pockets (in which he resembled Gollum, who actually was his nephew, that's why Gandalf was unwilling to kill him, nepotism, that's it). Remember him carrying that dwarvish key for almost a century? So, once Gandalf had accidentaly stolen a carrot from Gerontius (Old) Took's table, and since than it was in one of his many pockets. And Shadowfax was just very fond of carrots, especially old ones "with good ol' flavour" as he thought of them. Gandalf happened to produce one in the right place at the right moment and bribed Shadowfax with it.

=======================================

Whad did Tuor find in Nevrast?

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
Old 11-07-2002, 02:51 AM   #647
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
He found out that he had been mispelling his own name all these years. 'U' doesn't come before 'O' for Pete's sake! His name was actually 'Tour,' and that's exactly what he was doing in Nebraska (not Nevrast). Apparently running about in the wild had done something to his language skills, and it caused all kinds of misunderstandings. Aa a tour of Nebraska would drive anybody mad, there are only so many flat fields and farmhouses one can take, he finally killed himself. The two farmers who ran the tour in the off-season stood over the body:

"Well. That's the fourth one this week."
"Yep."
"You know... (the Farmer took a heavy breath)... this tour just hasn't been the same since they shut down the town of Hobokan, Mercke, Suttyville, Stuckeyville, Mapleton, Ramsford, Hollis..."
"... and Bedford..."
"Yeah, Bedford too. Not to mention Rolley, Mayorston, Bramton..."

Did Galadriel have any cats? And if so, where was the litter box?

[ November 07, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 11-07-2002, 04:27 AM   #648
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Of course she did, but only one. It was dark grey and prowled in the shadows, which is why no one ever saw it. The litter box was near the mirror, naturally, since water was needed to clean it occasionally.

° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

How on earth did the Three Runners' shoes survive that trip into Rohan?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 11-07-2002, 05:33 AM   #649
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

well, all along the way there were lots of dead goblins. Plenty of hide to repair ruined shoes, you know.

=====================================

Why was Beorn supposed to be such a deadly enemy? After all, being vegetarian, he was quite a peacuful kind of chap, eh?

[ November 07, 2002: Message edited by: HerenIstarion ]

Old 11-07-2002, 08:05 AM   #650
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The werebear Beorn actually had much in common with a wolf ... Steppenwolf that is, from a 1968 song:

"Like a true nature's child
We were beorn, beorn to be wild ..." [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

---------------------------------------------

Gazing out at a rainbow from Imladris, where would you go if you were to go somewhere over the rainbow?
Old 11-07-2002, 09:02 AM   #651
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Gandalf-- AWOOOOOO!!!!!

... The land that I heard of once in a lullaby-- Lorien, the land of dreams, natch.

Why did Pippin swear fealty to Denethor?
Old 11-07-2002, 10:32 AM   #652
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

He was gonna just swear outright, but Gandalf had him by the hairs on his neck, and well, since he had already spoken, he had to say something.

Who made Glorfindel's Saddle?
Old 11-07-2002, 11:11 AM   #653
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Silmaril

Arwen. Arwen made everything at Rivendell. She was known as the resident craft-maiden. Banners, clothes, various horse-riding accessories...She was so kind as to make a lovely saddle for Glorfindel, and he didn't have the heart to tell her than he didn't need a saddle, so he used it anyway. He's a really nice guy, that Glorfindel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What gifts did Bilbo give to Frodo in Rivendell? (And did Arwen make them?)
Old 11-07-2002, 02:31 PM   #654
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

Since the gifts that Bilbo gave Frodo were a home-made pipe-rack with no straight edges, a small envelope full of moss, and a copy of Biggles Learns to Fly, crudely rebound in self-adhesive plastic and marked "Ex libris Saruman the White"; I should think that it's obvious that only Galadriel, unloader of junk extraordinaire, was responsible for their misguided manufacture.

Where are the White Downs?
Old 11-07-2002, 06:34 PM   #655
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

The ski slopes on Caradhras.
..::How did the fox from the chapter Three is Company contribute to the destruction of the ring?::..
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:17 AM   #656
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Well, that little fox tried to take the One Ring away from Frodo for his own use. (He wanted to be the Prince of Foxes). When he couldn't get it out of Frodo's tight little clutches he sulked, and muttered to himself: "I didn't want that silly ring, anyway. It obviously isn't the real One Ring, or it would be much bigger. Those Hobbits just have a cheap, tin, imitation One Ring".

The Nazgul, wandering the forest at the time, overheard the fox and took him for his word. They reported back to Sauron that the Hobbits only had a cheap, tin, imitation Ring. Therefore; Sauron's attention was turned elsewhere while Frodo and Sam were slowly making their way to Mount Doom.

The Moral of the Story:

Foxes are no judge of fine jewelry.
How did Treebeard contribute to the destruction of The One Ring?

[ November 08, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 11-08-2002, 02:54 AM   #657
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

In memory of the Entwives, he planted the grapes that the fox couldn't reach (and they were sour, since he knew nothing about vineyards!). However, several of the Nazgúl ate them and had indigestion, so they weren't at Weathertop with the other attackers. Had they been there, the ring would certainly have been taken!

° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

How did the Gaffer contribute to the destruction of the One Ring?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 11-09-2002, 06:24 AM   #658
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

hobbitlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

"Rings and Dark Lords! I said to them. Cabbages and potatoes are better for you. Don't go getting mixed up in the business of your worse(ers), or you'll land in trouble too big for you", said the Gaffer.
So five of the original forteen Blackriders left the pursuit and started their true passion of gardening with the Gaffer.
What was eaten at the "last meal at Bag End"?
Old 11-09-2002, 02:59 PM   #659
Catherine
Shade of Carn Dûm

Catherine has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Milk and cookies
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Why did Frodo bring the Ring to Rivendell?
I don't think I should have had the heart to leave it."
~Merry to Haldir in Lothlórien~
Old 11-10-2002, 02:35 PM   #660
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

Because the Antiques Roadshow was there
-----------------------------------------
How did Balin get chosen to be the Lord of Moria.
Old 11-10-2002, 05:12 PM   #661
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

They drew names out of a hat.
..::Why did it hurt Frodo so much when Gimli hit the ring with an axe at Rivendell?::..
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Old 11-10-2002, 05:23 PM   #662
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

It wasn't Gimli's actions, actually. For some inexplicable reason, Frodo had a flashback to the day when he fell out of a tree, and was spanked soundly by his mother (this was waaaay back when) for climbing said tree. Even he couldn't tell you what triggered the flashback, but it was supremely unpleasent. (It's a little known fact that Primula Brandybuck was known as "Primula the Pounder").

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is also a little known fact that Bilbo forgot to record one of the riddles Gollum asked in their riddle competion. What was it, and what was the answer?
Old 11-10-2002, 08:56 PM   #663
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

It was actually a rather easy one:

I was a weapon, warrior. Now the young warrior
Covers me proudly With gold and silver
With twisted bow-wire. Sometimes the the men kissed me.
Sometimes, with a great cry I summoned to battle
Familiar companions; sometimes a horse bears
Me over a border; Sometimes a great ship
Fares across waters with bright ornaments;
Sometimes some tribes' jewel-adornments Fill my
Bosom. Sometimes I must lie dead
On the hard table, headless, despoiled;
Sometimes I hang on the wall, adorned
With beautiful jewels, there men drink
From the beautiful war-ornament. Once a warrior
Carried me on his horse, then I colored treasure
Must swallow from the wind of a certain person's bosom;
Sometimes with my voice I invite proud men
To wine; sometimes with my wrathful voice
I must save that which was stolen
And must put to flight the foe-sheath. I ask you what I'm called.

It's not an impossible riddle (although I will wait for a couple days before editing this post to include the answer, in case you want to guess), but it is a very long one. When Bilbo was about halfway through it, Gollum lost his patience and began paddling across the lake, at the sound of which Bilbo became very alarmed and moved straight on into the fish riddle.

Edit: Gah! For some reason I can't make spaces between the half-lines. You'll just have to pretend.

*Disclaimer: Lest people wonder, I didn't make this riddle up. It's an actual Old English riddle.
What woke Turin from his trance?

--Belin Ibaimendi

Since Diamond18 has guessed the riddle correctly, I will answer it right now. It is indeed a horn--notice that it's a drinking horn as well as a musical instrument. Congratulations. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ November 11, 2002: Message edited by: Belin ]
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Old 11-10-2002, 09:02 PM   #664
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Someone threw a bucket of water on him.
By the way, Belin, I'm taking a shot in the dark, but is it a sword?~
..::Who from the LotR trilogy lives in my closet?::..

[ November 10, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]
Old 11-10-2002, 10:34 PM   #665
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

(Belin, could it be a horn or trumpet or something like that?)

Nev: I've never been in your closet, but I'm going to say that it's Fredegar (Fatty no more) Bolger, Lobelia Sackville-Baggins, and Will Whitfoot, among others. Yes, you are one of Sharkey's girls! Admit it!!!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If an Ent trips and falls down in the woods, and there are nothing but Huorns around to hear it, does it make a noise?
Old 11-10-2002, 11:58 PM   #666
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

No, it doesn't Diamond. It just sucks it up and gets back up again. Nobody likes a whiny Ent.
What did Frodo see crawling across the floor of the Barrow Downs towards his companions?
Old 11-11-2002, 12:51 AM   #667
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A ghastly white hand. The hand... of Ron Kittle, the barrow-wight.
Old 11-11-2002, 04:54 AM   #668
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

give us a question, Windlord [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-11-2002, 05:59 AM   #669
Dúnethalath Taurendor
Pile O'Bones

Dúnethalath Taurendor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It is said in the beginning of the thread that everybody can ask a question if the thread is stopped up.

So, why did Sauron put a lot of his power into one ring? (fraud of the rings-fans?)
Old 11-11-2002, 10:43 AM   #670
Eruhen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eruhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Old Sour-puss was always an egotist. He just wanted to say to everyone "Oh, I bet your jewelry won't allow you to rule the world, will it?" He couldn't stand being second-best.

How did the Barrow-wight (not Ron) contribute to the destruction of the Ring?
Old 11-11-2002, 10:52 AM   #671
Precioussss
Wight

Precioussss has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

He had some connections on the inside-that Ring was soon taken care of. This was later referred to as the downfall of the Finger family, but that is another story.

############################################

Who was the first Lord of Moria?
Old 11-11-2002, 06:09 PM   #672
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Michael Flaherty...but then a short guy (even for a Dwarf) with a goatee replaced him. His Dwarvish name means, literally, "Goatee". It was Zyrgikiz.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How did Zyrgikiz contribute to the Fall of Gondolin?
Old 11-11-2002, 07:40 PM   #673
ChristRocks

Sting

A pony named Bill

What is Arwen's last name?

Old 11-11-2002, 09:11 PM   #674
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Double-post! I'll answer both.
Diamond18: Despite what legends say, it was actually Zyrgikiz who was awoken by Pippin's stone, and though the legends say otherwise, the ring was destroyed when Zyrgikiz found out the reason that he was woken up. You see, Zyrgikiz had a nasty temper and he grabbed the ring from Frodo and threw it into the abyss. Gandalf didn't actually fall after a battle with the balrog, he tried to grab the ring and tripped over a rock and then fell into the chasm.
ChristRocks: Arwen's last name was Smith. After she married Aragorn, it was changed to Jones. When Aragorn died, she secretly married someone else and her last name became Brown. When he died, she went back to Smith.
..::Who did Arwen secretly marry, why did she marry him, and how many kids did they have? (Names and brief descriptions are welcome.)::..

[ November 11, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]
Old 11-11-2002, 11:55 PM   #675
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Sting

Tim Brown, a regular inn-goer from Bree with a round red face and a prediposition to be oily and fat. He worked the trade of candle-making, gathering the abundant supply of oil he was supplied with in tanks as it dripped off his hair. Unfortunately, no chidren were sprung of the marriage as Arwen could not bring herself to go near enough to him to make that possible. She married him in a last-minute bid to avoid having to follow Aragorn, i.e. dying, planning to marry a young Elf afterwards as soon as there was one going.
He eventually died of cholesterol poisoning at age 48.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What were Gollum's motives for biting off Frodo's finger?

[ November 12, 2002: Message edited by: Gwaihir the Windlord ]
Old 11-12-2002, 01:05 AM   #676
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

he was hungry (yeah, just that, poor poopsy)

======================================

What was the point of sending Bilbo inside Smaug's cave?

Old 11-12-2002, 03:26 AM   #677
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Sting

They were doing a documentary on dragons, and wanted to see how one would react to a hobbit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why did Morgoth in fact want to do all the evil things he did?
Old 11-12-2002, 05:57 AM   #678
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Because he was bored, bored, bored....

° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

What changes did the Dwarves make in the Desolation of Smaug?
Old 11-12-2002, 06:41 AM   #679
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

Well, um, e, they made it even more desolate (diggin, bulldozin...)

========================================

Who was Galion?

Old 11-12-2002, 07:35 AM   #680
Eruhen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eruhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

It's not technically who, it's what is a Galion? A galion is a liquid measurement, made up of four quarts or eight pints or sixteen fluid ounces. A galion is approximately equal to three litres.

Where was the Ring destroyed?
Closed Thread