The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #1
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
1420! Fan Project: Lalaith's Misdeeds

I'm sure they'll make a long, long, list.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

*Tuor comes dressed like warrior* Why did you isnult my cousin? Now you could join yours! *pushes Nerwen off Caragdur into the lava* Let Maeglin enjoy his cousin's company! *walks away, slowly*

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.

WHAT IS THIS?!

And what is this?

I'll let you two argue back and forth about it. I exhausted all my Lalaith arguments on the Did Maedhros kill Laughter thread.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #4
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Pipe

Even as a mere child, Lalaith was trouble. We've heard all about the unfortunate fate of the butterfly, of course. But there's more–

Did you know Lalaith was an incorrigible biter? It was the vicious chomp she gave Sador, and the resulting blood-poisoning, that caused him to lose his foot. Her parents had to pay Labadal handsomely to keep his mouth shut, I can tell you. (The "axe" story was just a cover-up.)
Old 02-21-2011, 01:27 AM   #5
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Silmaril

No, you're wrong about that. Reliable sources tell me that it wasn't Lalaith who did that. It was, in fact, Carcharoth.

Turin was born in the year when Beren met Luthien. Lalaith was born two years later. Sador was a grown up by then.

Carcharoth is known for biting off noticeable parts of human bodies (just like Beren's hand)

So, there you are. Sador was working in the forest, when Carcharoth came and chomped his foot off.

But what else would you expect from crazy wolf?

Old 02-21-2011, 02:08 AM   #6
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Pipe

Your sources are clearly not as reliable as you imagine. After all, why would Sador go around telling people he'd stupidly chopped his own foot off when he hadn't– unless there was a good reason? (*cough* hush money *cough*)

Your confusion, I suspect, arises from the fact that Lalaith (outside her parents' hearing) was widely known as "Little Carcharoth". Thus, the servants of Dor-lómin were wont to mutter, "His axe slipped, huh? Don't believe it. I bet it was 'Little Carcharoth', the brat! If she were my child I'd tan her hide!"
Old 02-21-2011, 02:15 AM   #7
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Now, now, you're both forgetting the most obvious one! She goaded Maedhros into causing her death.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:58 AM   #8
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Lalaith (outside her parents' hearing) was widely known as "Little Carcharoth".
Now, that is incorrect. Why would they call her thusly, when there, right in front of their noses, was Turin.

Plus, if it had happened that way, where would Sador keep his money? In the chair he was making for Hurin? But Hurin was a prisoner of Morgoth, so Morwen begged Sador to chop it for firewood. He was reluctant at first, cos he apparently hid money into legs of chair, but after being convinced by Morwen and Turin alike, he burned it.

So, if Morwen asked him to burn his money along with chair, why did she give it to him in the first place?

Old 02-21-2011, 04:12 AM   #9
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Now, now, you're both forgetting the most obvious one! She goaded Maedhros into causing her death.
Oh, I'm getting to that, don't worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Now, that is incorrect. Why would they call her thusly, when there, right in front of their noses, was Turin.
Túrin didn't bite people; he was a dear little boy. You must be confusing him with someone else– his sister, no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen
Plus, if it had happened that way, where would Sador keep his money? In the chair he was making for Hurin? But Hurin was a prisoner of Morgoth, so Morwen begged Sador to chop it for firewood. He was reluctant at first, cos he apparently hid money into legs of chair, but after being convinced by Morwen and Turin alike, he burned it.

So, if Morwen asked him to burn his money along with chair, why did she give it to him in the first place?
What a silly question! He of course removed it from the chair and concealed it elsewhere.

Meanwhile, Lalaith's career in maiming people didn't end with Sador. Ragnir lost his sight when Lalaith threw her bowl of hot soup in his eyes. (Again, there was a cover-up.) I mean, read between the lines, Urwen– why did you think about half the serving-men in their household are blind or crippled?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:51 AM   #10
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Pipe

Because of their old age, of course.

But if you insist...could you tell me what was Ragnir's cover-up?

Old 02-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Dark-Eye

Quote:
Because of their old age, of course.
...premature old age, due to constant terror...

Quote:
But if you insist...could you tell me what was Ragnir's cover-up?
Another "accident", of course. He supposedly tripped while carrying the bowl of soup, and splashed it in his eyes.

Again, many were sceptical: "It's that spawn of Morgoth again! Someone should wring that little monster's neck!" But none dared speak, knowing their Lord and Lady were besotted with the fiend in childish shape.

Last edited by Nerwen; 02-21-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #12
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
Indeed! Insolent child, how dare she? I'm surprised she wasn't punished for her- oh, right.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:37 AM   #13
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

1420!

Ulfang the Black was in truth a much maligned man. Morgoth's messengers came to him again and again, promising him great riches and the lands of the Edain if he would but serve their lord, but always he dismissed them with scorn.

"Begone!" he would cry. "Back to your dark master, and take your lies with you! My Lord Caranthir may have the temper of a rabid werewolf, and most other Elves may be arrogant sods who would thoroughly deserve their comeuppance– but what quarrel have I with the Edain, my own kin? How could I wish ill on their sweet, adorable, innocent little ones?"

It was on a friendly visit to Dor–Lómin that everything changed. Things went well at first; Morwen received Ulfang with gracious reserve, while Húrin ordered a feast in his honour. Talk, wine and laughter flowed freely.

No one paid any attention to the golden-haired toddler scowling in the corner.

Lalaith was so jealous of the welcome her father and mother were giving this stranger that even her favourite pastime of pulling the wings off flies had palled. Instead, setting her inventive mind to work, she devised a wonderful new game she provisionally titled, "Creep Up On The Nasty Man And Drop A Hot Coal Down The Back Of His Tunic".

It was a roaring success. From Lalaith's point of view, anyway.

Ulfang enlisted in the Thangorodrim Secret Service (Treachery Division) the very next day.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #14
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Silmaril

Little is known that Ulfang harboured in his heart love for Haleth. Since Haleth loved Caranthir, Ulfang was desperate. Morgoth promised him Haleth if he betrayed. Thus, he agreed. Morgoth kept his promise by letting Ulfang die and join her. Thus, Gorlim Unhappy and Grima Wormtongue had worthy company.

Eol also loved Haleth,as did Caranthir. Morgoth controlled them like puppets and made sure they also joined Haleth in death...

TBC ~

Old 02-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #15
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Little is known that Ulfang harboured in his heart love for Haleth. Since Haleth loved Caranthir, Ulfang was desperate. Morgoth promised him Haleth if he betrayed. Thus, he agreed. Morgoth kept his promise by letting Ulfang die and join her. Thus, Gorlim Unhappy and Grima Wormtongue had worthy company.

Eol also loved Haleth,as did Caranthir. Morgoth controlled them like puppets and made sure they also joined Haleth in death...

TBC ~
That's very sweet, Urwen. But I believe it needs to be continued on its own thread.

The subject of this thread is Lalaith: The Root of All Evil.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #16
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

I'm merely trying to discern truth from myths

Old 02-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #17
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Lalaith wasn't even her real name. Her real name was Urwen. She was called Lalaith because of her laughter.

Manaical laughter, of course. She would have grown up to be an extremely good torturer if she had lived. Everyone soon learned to cringe and slink away whenever they heard the cackling that foretold the approach of Little Carcharoth.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:10 PM   #18
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well. This is nice I must say. I turn my back on the downs for what, a couple of months, and this is what I find on my return.

Ironically, of course, you haven't even scraped the surface.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #19
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Frankly my dear, they wouldn't know where to begin... and if they did it would make their hair curl....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #20
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Let's not forget she won WW LXIII all on her own as last wolf standing. Unforgivable!
Old 02-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #21
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
After a bit of a break, I'm back with more Lalaith arguments...

Why do you think Turin had so little friends? It's not because he had a bad temper (who made up that ridiculous rumor?!). It's because of his little monsterous sister. Stories of her "playing" spread far and wide, casting a shadow over Turin's name. Everyone was afraid of Lalaith, and that's where all Turin's troubles came from.

We all know that Hurin wasn't welcomed in Dor-lomin after his return from Angband, but hardly anyone knows the real reason. When he was "lord of Dor-lomin" and all that, people were too afraid to speak ill of his daughter or him. Now that he didn't have all the fancy titles behind him, they could tell him the truth about Little Carcharoth to his face.

People gave Morwen the name Eledhwen for the light that shone in her eyes. What the light really was, though, was the reflection of the sunlight on the tears that never left her eyes. She and Hurin had to give away so much money just to keep the "Little Carcharoth" business quiet that they could hardly make ends meet. Morwen weeped for how much their daughter deprived them of.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:55 AM   #22
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Silmaril

Well, in books it clearly states that Morwen (and Turin) suffered because Lalaith died. Hurin too. He tried to sing a song for his daughter, but failed and cursed Morgoth that Valar (and Turin) would finish him off

Meanwhille, Thingol had shady negotiations with Haleth & Nellas. He made a deal that if they killed him, he would have fun with them in Mandos. You really think dwarves killed him? No, it was Nellas and Haleth with her people, disguised as dwarves. Hurin, of course, participated, as dwarf named Ibanzil (which means 'leader').

Turgon disliked dwarves, and Maeglin disliked mortal men. Yet, they harboured Tuor, along with his little 'sister'. But his 'sister' was, in fact, his cousin. He of course, renamed Lalaith, for purpose of saving Idril. He renamed her after Idril's mother.

Hurin, after killing Thingol, and after Melian left, Hurin threw himself in the sea.

As for Lalaith, she personally threw Maeglin off the cliff. People confused her with Tuor because they're cousins. Real Tuor, along with Idril and many others, already escaped. After washing her hands, Lalaith went after them and joined them at havens of Sirion.

And everybody (except Hurin and Maeglin) lived happily.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:48 AM   #23
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Dark-Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Why do you think Turin had so little friends? It's not because he had a bad temper (who made up that ridiculous rumor?!). It's because of his little monsterous sister. Stories of her "playing" spread far and wide, casting a shadow over Turin's name. Everyone was afraid of Lalaith, and that's where all Turin's troubles came from.
Indeed. Where else did Saeros get his notions about the wild women of Hithlum? Túrin reacted so violently to his taunts because they hit home.

But that pales in comparison to the effect the tales of "Little Carcharoth" had on the once-proud realm of Nargothrond:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silmarillion
So great a fear did Lalaith set in their hearts that never after until the time of Túrin would any Elf of that realm go into open battle; but with stealth and ambush, with wizardry and venomed dart, they pursued all strangers, forgetting the bonds of kinship. Thus they fell from the valour and freedom of the Elves of old, and their land was darkened.
(Note: certain versions of the text ascribe this sorry state of affairs to Curufin rather than Lalaith; these are all either corrupt, or forgeries put about by fanatical Lalaithists.)

Quote:
Stuff about Lalaith.
Sorry, Urwen, still the wrong thread.

Last edited by Nerwen; 02-23-2011 at 05:37 AM. Reason: typo
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:58 AM   #24
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Silmaril

No, it isn't. You intentionally skipped this quote:

Quote:
As for Lalaith, she personally threw Maeglin off the cliff. People confused her with Tuor because they're cousins

Old 02-23-2011, 05:33 AM   #25
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Clearly another of those corrupt versions I was talking about.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:02 AM   #26
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Silmaril

Quote:
So great a fear did Lalaith set in their hearts that never after until the time of Túrin would any Elf of that realm go into open battle; but with stealth and ambush, with wizardry and venomed dart, they pursued all strangers, forgetting the bonds of kinship. Thus they fell from the valour and kinship of the Elves of old, and their land was darkened.
Nonsense. Lalaith wasn't even born at the time. All misfortune of Nargothrond was caused by very rare creature and the one who slew it. You see, a unicorn lived in forest near Nargothrond. One day, Celegorm went out hunting and slew it. Thus, misfortune came upon Nargothrond and Celegorm was banished cos of that. After that, Celegorm had only one goal in mind: to find Aredhel and escape back to west with her. To his woe, when he arrived in Gondolin, Aredhel was dead. Driven by longing and weariness, he forsook jis oath and went crawling to Melkor, begging him to bring Aredhel back to life. Melkor agreed, but under one condition: Celegorm had to kill Dior and bring the lost Silmaril back to Morgoth. In desperation, Celegorm consented. Once Aredhel lived, Celegorm hid her in secret and safe place. He rallied his brothers, under excuse of fulfilling the oath, to kill Dior. Once Celegorm had the Silmaril, he walked away. He and Aredhel were never seen in Middle Earth again.

Rumours say that they lived and still live in blessed land. Maeglin and their unnamed daughter live with them under mercy of Valar.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:22 AM   #27
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Urwen, this is about Lalaith, not Celegorm's love interest.

Quote:
Well, in books it clearly states that Morwen (and Turin) suffered because Lalaith died. Hurin too. He tried to sing a song for his daughter, but failed and cursed Morgoth that Valar (and Turin) would finish him off.
They suffered? Bah! Morwen was the only one who stopped pretending at that point! But Hurin thought a great deal of what's "proper", that's why he tried to make a song. Why couldn't he make it? Didn't have enough words? But he knew that music can express what words can. So why did he throw away his harp? Because his "lament" turned to a song of celebration way too many times.

And why did he curse Morgoth? For giving him such a daughter, not for taking her away. He didn't do this before, because he was afraid Lalaith would find out and play an extra trick on him.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #28
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Silmaril

But don't forget Nienor. Morwen named her 'mourning'

Why do you think she named her so? Hum hum

Burarum...rum..rum...

Old 02-23-2011, 07:34 AM   #29
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
But don't forget Nienor. Morwen named her 'mourning'

Why do you think she named her so? Hum hum
Well, duh, because it was the exact opposite of "Lalaith"!

You see? She wasn't taking any chances...
Old 02-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #30
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Silmaril

No, she name her thus because she mourned for Lalaith;;;;;;

Old 02-23-2011, 08:02 AM   #31
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
No, she name her thus because she mourned for Lalaith;;;;;;
Nope. What an absurd idea! Why in Middle-earth would anyone mourn for Lalaith?!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #32
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Silmaril

Because Lalaith was a happy child, and extremely happy daughter....

Old 02-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #33
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Dark-Eye

Quote:
Only when inflicting pain on other living beings.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #34
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Urwen's reactions toDay have been incredibly wolfish.

++Urwen
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #35
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

++Shasta for representative
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #36
TPotSS
Animated Skeleton

TPotSS has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I've always had a theory that Eru created Melkor because of Lalaith.

See, at first Eru was just going to make the children (Elves, Humans, etc) but then a glimpse of the future showed him Lalaith, and she was so annoying laughing and dancing all the time, so he thought something needed to be done, so- *poof* Melkor!

So she's kind of responsible for every evil ever.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #37
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
No, it's because Hurin didn't return. Morwen was mourning for Hurin.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #38
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen
Rumours say that they lived and still live in blessed land. Maeglin and their unnamed daughter live with them under mercy of Valar.
Why on earth would the Valar reward Celegorm (to say nothing of Maeglin) for going over to Morgoth and murdering Dior?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #39
TPotSS
Animated Skeleton

TPotSS has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife
Why on earth would the Valar reward Celegorm (to say nothing of Maeglin) for going over to Morgoth and murdering Dior?
Everyone knows the Valar are dumb. Just look at the way they handled Melkor and the Noldor.

"Go loose, Melkor. Have fun!"
"What? The most evil of evil guys did something evil?!"
"Feanor- we hereby punish you for failing to remain untainted by Melkor, despite the fact that tainting you was his number one objective and that he's too powerful for any lesser being to fully resist. How dare you not do the impossible!"
"Okay, so, I realize Melkor stole the greatest work of art ever and killed your dad, but just, you know, sit tight and don't do anything."
"Erm... We can stop the incredibly desperate Noldor from leaving by telling their friends in Alqualonde to refuse them help. Nothing bad can possibly come of that."
Old 02-27-2011, 03:00 AM   #40
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
On a different note...

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthr...d=1#post650465
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote