The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2004, 05:08 PM   #1
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Tolkien Nothing left to wait for?

Well, it`s over. The movies have been released. Nothing left to wait for. Unless Jackson decides to film The Hobbit, but until then, what are we going to do? And what will our discussions be like in, let`s say, 5 years? My guess is they`ll be the same as they are now. Will the popularity of LotR die away? (Except for those of us will remain fans till the end of our days.) Will (gasp!) people fall away from the Downs (the movie fans anyway)?

What are your thoughts?
Old 12-14-2004, 05:31 PM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

I think the discussions will be the same, after a while people don't mind discussing the same topics. And plus, as you've said we do have "The Hobbit" to look forward to. As for the movie-fans, well they come and then go a few months later.

What I've always wondered was what will happen to the downs once the BW, and the other administraters pass away. Do they have some "heir" to take over the downs, or will the downs, just no long exist? Oh well, we will find out sooner or later.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 05:58 PM   #3
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dűm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'd prefer later to sooner.

I suppose the 'Downs will lose a few of the movie fans, but most of those that are still here are very much fans of the books as well by now, so the majority of them will stick around.

I would expect the Movies forum to make it's way down the page unless "The Hobbit" deal is formalized and announced soon enough to keep it popular. (by soon, I mean a couple of years.) That's just my guess though.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:54 PM   #4
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Nimmy, you've scared me!! I don't want to think about it.... Oh... dear me. I lost track. Today was the day, wasn't it? Ah, well, just because I don't have the money for the EE........

If the 'Downs does eventually pass away, there's always my forum: http://fantasyinsanity.proboards38.com

Yes, that was a shameless plug.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:55 PM   #5
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

There are other possibilities for movies, that I'm surprised no one in
Hollywood has apparently hit on yet. Given the popularity and $$$
making of some children's films, why not movies (live, animated, or
perhaps the process used in "The Polar Express") for Roverandom and
The Father Christmas Letters. This would also make for a sort of piggybacking
on the popularity of LOTR films and would make for an interesting holiday
movie.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:57 PM   #6
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Hey, now, there's an idea! Now why didn't I think of that?...
Old 12-14-2004, 08:09 PM   #7
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots The Movies go ever on and on, Down from the studio where they began.

There is also Ancanar, which is not Tolkien, but has a definite Tolkien flavor to it.

I would not be too surprised to see an attempt to make a movie out of the Sil, or at least part of the Sil.

However, I'm not sure it would be worth watching.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:25 PM   #8
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
What I've always wondered was what will happen to the downs once the BW, and the other administraters pass away. Do they have some "heir" to take over the downs, or will the downs, just no long exist? Oh well, we will find out sooner or later.
But my dear Boro, they are already dead so how can they pass away? If the Magnetic Poetry and the LotR board game provide any clues, I think we can look forward to many more treasures in the barrow.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:40 PM   #9
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I think that there is plenty to look forward to. I mean, look at Star Wars. It has lived on for many years. I know that I am looking forward to conventions in the future... I need more excuses to wear my gowns, especially since I haven't even gotten to wear my green gown yet. I also want to keep planning events for the Chicago area for the Chicago Line Party. As long as people keep coming, I'll keep planning things. I hope that this lives on for a long time because it has been a wonderful part of my life and I've met so many great friends because of it.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 11:27 PM   #10
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
What I've always wondered was what will happen to the downs once the BW, and the other administraters pass away.
That's when the phantom will take over the Barrow-Downs. Ha ha ha ha....

(and now that the admins know this, I'm sure they'll hang on as long as possible )
Old 12-14-2004, 11:31 PM   #11
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
Now why would they do that when hiring a hitman requires much less effort, hm?
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 05:05 AM   #12
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Well, Tolkien had taken over my head a long time before the films, and I have no doubt this will continue until I take my last breath. How could I tire of Tolkien? There are always new things to be found there, new things to say. I'm thinking of everything I still have to read - and it could keep going a long time. Why would the 'Downs go away? There will always be more fans to be signed up, I'm sure. I might not have been as active the past few days as my mind is rather deeply occupied elsewhere, but I would hate to see the 'Downs in decline! Tis a very special place.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:33 AM   #13
Turin
Animated Skeleton

Turin has just left Hobbiton.
Oh, the pessimism!!

As you will be able to tell, I am new to this site and am currently really enjoying my time here. I don't think there's any worry that interest will wane.

Like many Tolkien nuts, I'm absolutely confident that despite the movies having all been released, interest will remain the same. Why? Because it shouldn't be forgotten that the movies can in no way overtake the pre-eminence of the books. There are always new angles to explore, new perspectives to think about, deeper appreciation when reading the books to enjoy etc etc.

The books will always stand the test of time - movies come and go. Plus, age shows up more glaringly in cinema. In 10-15 years will we look back at LoTR and find that it looks out-dated? The same questiion won't be asked of the books, i'm sure.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:34 AM   #14
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I know I'm not going anywhere.

I completely agree with what Turin said. This goes beyond movies. LotR is timeless, and isn't likely to become obsolete just because the movies are done.

If you must see something new, help out here: http://silmfilm.proboards25.com/index.cgi [/shameless plug]

Abedithon le,

~ Saphy ~
Old 12-15-2004, 10:18 AM   #15
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
That's exactly what I was thinking. The Downs was around before the movies were, and people came and loved it.

I don't think this glorious graveyard will deminish, due to the fact that most of us are extremely loyal to the books, since they were our first breath. The movies are done, and will probably be redone in a decade or two, but the books are timeless, and will always draw more people here.

I myself was drawn in by the books, although I was only in the Hobbit when the movies came out. I still consider myself a book fan first, but that really doesn't matter. The whole Tolkien style is what fascinates and keeps us, and I know I will always come here.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:25 AM   #16
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Don't forget that the Downs forum is more than discussions of the movies and the books - the RPGs give those who participate opportunity to keep on (sub-)creating new stories in Middle-earth! I can well imagine that interest there will continue for quite a while.

Aside from that, it is possible that Middle-earth will take a back seat in our attention in time; we have lives to live, after all, and there are plenty of people and activities off-line. We've seen it happen in the past few years - some of us go on to other things (there are quite a few creative writers who've left or come infrequently because they're busy writing their own stories), some look in once in awhile, some stay around regularly for a long time.

To paraphrase Aragorn:

There may come a day when we are no longer interested in Tolkien discussions, but this is not the day.
There may come a day when real life keeps us so busy that we have no time for the Downs, but this is not the day.
There may come a day when our computer access is limited so that we are not able to log on, but this is not the day.
Today we post!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 11:29 AM   #17
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turin
The books will always stand the test of time - movies come and go. Plus, age shows up more glaringly in cinema. In 10-15 years will we look back at LoTR and find that it looks out-dated?
No. I remember Star Wars 26 years ago, and today looking at it on DVD it is not dated at all. Neither will LOTR be. The film will remain a classic as the book as.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:07 PM   #18
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1420!

Esty, I think we get a steady flux of people who join, how many end up staying for a while, who knows. But, I see a growth of new members each day .

Essex, I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually remakes LOTR. I would love to see a "futuristic LOTR" sort of like what they did with Romeo and Juliet. However, I don't think the remakes will appeal to me as much as the original (if they do remake them).

About the Silmarillion, I never see it coming out as a movie, maybe like a series on TV or something, if one would dare to do it. I thought it would be interesting if someone did a TV series of LOTR, where you have a 1 hr episode, on a chapter (or two if the chapter is bigger).
Old 12-15-2004, 12:29 PM   #19
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Great paraphraseology, Esty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turin
Because it shouldn't be forgotten that the movies can in no way overtake the pre-eminence of the books.
Well, they probably have in terms of sheer popularity. I would wager that more people have seen and enjoyed the films than have read and enjoyed the book. And, like Essex, I do think that the films will become classics of their genre.

Nevertheless, I take your point. The books will remain pre-eminent in the minds of (most of) those who have read and enoyed them.

It is certainly the case that there is far more to the Downs than discussion, although I don't see discussions dying down simply because the films are finished. The books discussions will go on here, as they have done for some 3 or 4 years already. There are always new opinions, new angles and new ideas.

As for the Movies forum, I would like to see it turn more to dicussion of the films as films (techniques, themes, performances etc), rather than the usual comparisons to the book and "what did you like/dislike" type threads. I have a few ideas for threads in mind, but time (as always) is against me getting them out.

I must say, however, that there has been a decline in new members joining since the film trilogy ended. That was natural, given that they gave such widespread coverage to Tolkien's story. And many (probably most) who joined as films fans have since become book fans and stayed, while some others have drifted away (no doubt to find sites with a greater emphasis on the films). Ultimately, given that there is a natural decline in active members over time, due to the demands of "real life", this will lead to a "population reduction". But that is no bad thing in itself. This site was just as active (and just as erudite), if a little slower, when it had only a handful of members, if the old threads are anything to go by. And I think that we will still have a good many members for a good many years yet.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:19 PM   #20
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

Quote:
I know I'm not going anywhere.
I`ll be right here with you!

Quote:
There may come a day when we are no longer interested in Tolkien discussions, but this is not the day.
There may come a day when real life keeps us so busy that we have no time for the Downs, but this is not the day.
There may come a day when our computer access is limited so that we are not able to log on, but this is not the day.
Today we post!
Yay! Well said!

Gah! You guys are right. Maybe I`m just paranoid...
Old 12-15-2004, 07:53 PM   #21
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well, we've still got the Golden Ring Marathon to look forward to, & by then hopefully we will have heard more about the possibility of PJ making the Hobbit so that would spark more interesting rumours . At any rate, we'll always have Crazy Captions here on the 'downs .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 07:54 PM   #22
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420!

SpM, I can get up a thread on metareferences and intertextuality, it will take me a few days to view the movies and get some ideas.

The point of metareferences and intertextuality, is in a movie (or book/writings), to draw attention to a previously written book/movie. It supports the idea that no piece of work is "fully original," or fully "created." Literature now adays (and more centuries) have written off of previous ideas, and then slightly altering the story. As one example from ROTK the movie, to get everyone on the same page.

Saruman being impaled on a wheel spikes, is a metareference to his earlier acting days as Dracula. Where Chris Lee is impaled on a wheel of spikes several times. The fact that it's Chris Lee (Saruman) and Chris Lee (Dracula) makes it a metareference. Trying to draw attention to his earlier movies. If it was somebody who acted as Saruman (say Ian Mckellan) then it would be intertextuality.

Some authors/directors, use metareferences and intertextually purposefully, others use it unconsciously. Where they read a story, or watch a movie, and then as human nature, we write our own stories about these. Then as a viewer we go "Oh that's from...so and so" or "That's sort of like this." A lot of people believe, now adays, Literature/Films, are filled with metareferences and intertextuality. That everything we have written/made, has been done, but the story is just different. Another example, this time intertextuality, the feud between dwarves and elves. I don't know about everyone, but this reminds me of the hatfield and the mccoys, also Montagues and Capulets. Again, Tolkien could be doing this purposefully, or just unconsciously.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:55 PM   #23
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

I was reading "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" a few days back. I was flipping through the pages at the front of the book, when I came upon this. It is not in full, but here is the part that stuck out to me the most.

Quote:
...I think Harry will take his place with Alice, Huck, Frodo, and Dorothy, and this is one series not just for the decade, but for the ages.
-Stephen King, Entertainment Weekly
also

Quote:
...As this volume, like its predecessors, attests, Rowling has imagined this universe in such minute and clever detail that we feel we`ve been admitted to a looking-glass world as palpable as Tolkien`s Middle-earth or L. Frank Baum`s Oz...
This made me happy.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:38 PM   #24
Anorien
Wight

Anorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anorien
yeah, i know, i realized there were no more of the series coming out. but hey! rumor is they are coming out with The HObbit!
Anorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 06:21 AM   #25
gorthaur_cruel
Haunting Spirit

gorthaur_cruel has just left Hobbiton.
After reading this, I'm convinced that the best prequel to LotR would be about Akallabeth. The link I gave gives a very detailed idea on how the author thinks the movie should be made. The second part is just this much (*pinches fingers together*) short of being a real movie script.
gorthaur_cruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 07:56 AM   #26
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Thanks for the link, oh Cruel one There was a good read on it, and idea is quite plausible. I wonder, have Jackson read that piece? And I wonder, do we imply that it is Jackson who should make another 'Tolkienian', to use the term I picked up on that site, movie?

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 07:58 AM   #27
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Pipe

While I still favor The Hobbit, The Father Christmas Letters, or
Roverandom as easily marketable (for Hollywood) and therefore
more readily made, the Akallabeth suggestion is intriguing, especially
since it could end with Isildur, and perhaps even the Istari
(ignoring the time sequence a bit and using a concluding voiceover)
landing at the Gray Havens, with cameos for Gandalf and Saruman.

It would be daring, but could be a real "groundbreaking" type of
film, and so Hollywood would probably shy away, even if CT or heirs
went along with it.

Would making the Father Christmas Letters require anything other
then Baillie Tolkien approval, thereby circumventing a CT veto?
Old 12-21-2004, 02:51 PM   #28
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodel_9
(Except for those of us will remain fans till the end of our days.) Will (gasp!) people fall away from the Downs (the movie fans anyway)?

What are your thoughts?
Well for those of us whom are loyal to the downs but have a certain lack of knowledge outside of the movies( I only read LOTR once unfinshed tales somewhat and basicly skimmed the first book of lost tales) willl have to learn more about the actual written word to continue the seirous topics this site though is newbie friendly seeing as you dont need much knowledge for the mirth forums. which account for most of my reason of being here although now and then I pop into a serious thread.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:38 PM   #29
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

While it's not Tolkien, there is an Inkling movie coming out (scheduled for
Dec., 9, 2005: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, which could be
a basis for future discussion.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363771/
has some information.

Related, I thought the recent Anthony Hopkins C.S. Lewis movie
was "interesting."

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin; 12-21-2004 at 07:41 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 08:06 PM   #30
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Really? A 'Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe' movie? That's cool.... and I couldn't help notice that the scheduled release date is my birthday... what a present!
Old 12-24-2004, 12:54 AM   #31
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Hey hey. I'm still waiting to purchase Viggo Mortensen for my harem. I'm sure he'll be for sale eventually. So speak for yourself.
Old 12-25-2004, 08:10 AM   #32
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Enjoy yourself while you can, Lush... After all, all good things must come to an end....are you sure Viggo would submit himself to such a thing? Personally, I doubt it. So you keep wishing....
Old 12-26-2004, 08:52 AM   #33
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thumbs up

One of these years I'll be a good girl and Santa will be generous. And anyway, the creation of a harem is the only good solution to the "nothing left to wait for" dilemma, as far as I can tell. Not to mention the great strides for feminism an all-male harem would imply.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:06 AM   #34
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

In a somewhat related sc-ifi/fantasy topic (well, it is classic British sci-fi) it seems that the new Doctor Who series is on, and perhaps will be seen in non-British markets by 2005? Although a Hobbit tv series (didn't Christopher Lee suggest it?)
would be quite good, also.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/newtv/index.shtml
Old 12-29-2004, 08:16 AM   #35
Gilthalion
Hobbitus Emeritus

Gilthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien What to do while waiting...

Write your own! Maybe it'll be made into a movie many years hence!

The Downs has an excellent Fan Fiction section. (I especially recommend my own work which I would love to see made a movie...)
THE HOBBITS
Gilthalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 03:12 PM   #36
King of the North
Haunting Spirit

King of the North has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well I love this place because rarely can I find so many experts on Tolkien to converse and share info with. If people do leave becuz there are no more movies, then that will rid us of those who are not trully dedicated. The heart of soul of these stories is in the books.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:55 PM   #37
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
I think that the fandom will die out somewhat. There will always be hardcore fans, but they will mostly be fans of the books, not of the movies. People have loved the books since they first appeared on bookstore shelves 50 years ago. The books are timeless, I think that there will always be book fans. The movies, however are another story.

Will the special effects soon be dated? The gollum in ROTK is already noticably more finished than the one in TTT. In a few years, what will we think of the FX? Will that hurt our music experience? I wouldn't be suprised if in a few years, people will stop looking at LOTR as a great technical achievement.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:44 AM   #38
Finwe-89
Wight

Location: In Lotholorien, looking in the mirror that shows that there is still hope for life...
Finwe-89 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Finwe-89
There will be some that are going to dislike LotR, cause there is nothing left to talk about the movies. But WE, WE Tolkien fans must united! Stand tall against these people who dislike LotR and say right in their facesses: You, you are a moron! And then we all must run away!

Beware: Don't speak this loud when you're alone in the dark... Unless you really want it... But don't say I didn't warn you...
Finwe-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 06:10 PM   #39
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Quote:
I'm still waiting to purchase Viggo Mortensen for my harem.
I want to purchase Viggo.

Quote:
There will be some that are going to dislike LotR, cause there is nothing left to talk about the movies.
Yeah, I thought about that. Then I decided that someone always comes up with another idea.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:47 AM   #40
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodel_9
I want to purchase Viggo.
You do, eh? Check this out! Note who is first on the list...