The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2003, 02:50 PM   #1
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

dunedain_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Laughter vs. Seriousness

In the movie Aragorn is *mostly* serious. In the book he was laughing and smiling MUCH more. He even joked, and laughed in Bree in the book! I'm not saying giving another reason why I am mad at them not staying true to the book,(I LOVED ttt)I'm just saying Aragorn should have been lighter. I mean, he IS a very serious character, and I like him that way, but maybe he could have smiled a BIT more. Does anyone else notice this with Aragorn and other characters?
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
dunedain_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 03:02 PM   #2
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, I noticed it with legolas. What has he got to be sad about? He landed himself in the Fellowship. Personaly, I would kill to get a place in the fellowship. In the book everyone was much more light-hearted.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:15 AM   #3
Armani_Elf
Animated Skeleton

Armani_Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

a book can never be like a film. same goes vice versa. <P>peace
Old 01-05-2003, 10:53 AM   #4
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't know . . . I'm not sure I would be very happy if I had been chosen to go on the Fellowship. I'm the kind of girl who'd rather stay at home, curled up by the fire reading a good book. Adventures are nice to read about, but not nice to live through <P>But I think the seriousness is fitting- after all, they didn't have much to laugh about. In my opinion, Gimli added enough cheerfulness to the movie, though I would have liked Merry and Pippin to be a little more cheerful, as they're usually the pranksters.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:10 PM   #5
LOTR_know-it-all55
Animated Skeleton

LOTR_know-it-all55 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to LOTR_know-it-all55
Sting

Aragorn smiled when Gandalf winked at least. Legolas smiled when Gimli couldn't see over the wall. But I do see reason for them not to be soo happy they are at war with the greatest evil in Middle-Earth and could be going to certain death. Not to say that I wouldn't give anything to be able to do something like that..
Old 01-05-2003, 12:48 PM   #6
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I always thought some of them (like Legolas) needed to lighten up. A little off the subject but where's all the singing? Aragorn has sung only once so far and only in the Extended Version. Legolas, the Elf, hasn't sung once!!! Poor Tolkien having to do all that rhyming and no one will put one song in the movies. 'Tis so sad.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:55 PM   #7
dunedain_aragorn
Animated Skeleton

dunedain_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Exactly Cherie Centaur! And when Aragorn sang, he was all sad! In the book he was kinda sad, but he was telling them a tale! Ooh yeah, everybody read my new signature, I larv (love) it!
"I must take leave, I have not slept since Dunnharrow, and I am weary."said Aragorn. Merry seized his hand and kissed it."I am frightfully sorry, we have been a nuisance to you since Bree." Aragorn laughed and left them. "Was there ever any like him?" said Pippin,"Except for Gandalf of course. I believe they must be related."
dunedain_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 01:03 PM   #8
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> everybody read my new signature, I larv (love) it! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yeah it is good. I've already sent it to all my friends to remind them how great Aragorn is. lol.<P>Anyway, back on subject, yeah I think Aragorn should have been lighter. It would have worked, too, if they had spread out some of the humor so Gimli didn't get it all. In the movie, it seems like Aragorn is always sad or serious. Sure, he smiles a few times, but in the book he is more light-hearted. You can't live in such depressing times without having a lighter moment every now and then. So, I better here some jokes and laughter from him in TTT spec ed. and ROTK or... I don't know what I'll do.
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 03:07 PM   #9
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought Viggo Mortensen had a great smile and lovely twinkly eyes, and he did have a sense of humour! Ok, he wasn't joking around, but he was amused by things, and wasn't always serious.<P>I hope they leave in the bit in the Houses of Healing with Merry, when he jokes about not bringing pipeweed to a careless hobbit. I don't expect that to make the cut though...
Old 01-05-2003, 03:14 PM   #10
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe they just made him extra serious because in the movie they don't have the time and so they need to get the point across quickly, that he is facing this great choice and everything.<P>He did have some funny moments, like when Gimli is talking about the dwarf women, and when he meets Legolas for the first time after he falls over the cliff.
Old 01-05-2003, 03:44 PM   #11
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Erm...would you particularly have a desire to see any of them try to sing loudly? I mean Mr. Mortensen kind of sings in the Midgewater Marshes in the Extended Version, but I do not think any of them were really...well...voicetrained.<P>I will be curious to see if they have Mr. Bloom sing the "To the Sea!" song towards the end of the RotK...<P>And I actually found Legolas to be a bit abrasive in his...perkiness...in the books. He dances and sings a bit more than I could imagine anyone doing in a position such as that he is in. I mean, if they do not destroy this ring, *Poof!* evil wins and Middle Earth becomes dark and evil. I do not think he was so naive as to not think about this...
Old 01-05-2003, 04:18 PM   #12
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What did legolas care? He could just escape any time and go off to Valinor. I don't mean to put down Legolas, but he has a much better reason to be happy than Aragorn.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:55 AM   #13
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Merry and Pippin had a little singing bit in the extended version as well, but I agree that I would not want to hear the others sing.<BR>And feel free to put Legolas down, I do it all the time!
Old 01-06-2003, 12:12 PM   #14
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I do hope that Legolas sings his Sea song! Even if Bloom can't sing, it isn't difficult to overlay someone else's voice so it sounds like Legolas.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Adventures are nice to read about, but not nice to live through <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Merri, you sound like Bilbo before he went away with the dwarves to slay Smaug in Erebor. You might have an adventure yet!
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #15
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
Loved when Aragorn got that look of laughter on his face when Merry and Pippin tackled Boromir to the ground. I laugh when that comes on. But Yes it would've been nice to see Aragorn and Legolas and even Boromir smile/laugh more!!!!!
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:15 AM   #16
Lotrelf
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lotrelf has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Like book, they didn't have enough time and strength. Time, 'cause everything happened very quickly; and, strength because movie characters are too 'human' to be like the book ones.