Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2007, 08:05 PM   #1041
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
My save has also been filled now.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:39 AM   #1042
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I think I've opened up the storyline again. I've posted for Makdush and Lindir.

Lindir has asked the others to bind and imprison the orcs.

Regin - I gave you the set up you asked for. Go ahead now. But if you want anything changed, tell me.

Nogrod - I used your character for just one reaction. Let me know if there's any problems.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 04-17-2007 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:23 AM   #1043
Child of the 7th Age

Save filled. .

Tevildo - your turn.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:48 PM   #1044
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tevildo - I've jumped in...if it's alright, Beloan can help Azhar out and the two of them can head back to the camp. Don't worry, though - Beloan isn't like Khamir, he'll let her do everything until she can't do something. I can easily edit and make Beloan stay behind and help imprison the orcs, though, so just let me know.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:03 PM   #1045
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Did you still want Shae to cause some trouble?

I could still have her threaten her sword at a sleeping orc or perhaps she could have an encounter with one of those sneaking around...
Old 04-22-2007, 01:59 AM   #1046
Child of the 7th Age

orc attack....

Brinniel,

I think that would be great if Shae wanted to "cause some trouble"

I don't think we have any sneaking around at the moment. They're either asleep or well hidden. But there are several possibilities for action here.

We're supposedly in the process of rounding up some orcs and imprisoning them in the pit. There are 6 of them asleep who need grabbing. You could be helping with this and either attack an orc who's still sleeping out of sheer disgust and frustration, or perhaps have trouble with one who has awoken and attempts to break away....whatever you think would work.

Please don't hack the poor orc's head off....we need them all for the storyline. You are welcome to have my character cry out somethng like "Halt" at the end of your post, and I'll do a subsequent post where Lindir will insist you draw back your sword. To make this work, it would have to be a scenario where the orc is simply asleep or attempting to run away...he can't be threatening you with death, since even Lindir would not stop anyone from killing an orc who has put a sword to their neck.

Will this work for you? Feel free to drop a note if you have any questions or want to put in some unique twists that you've come up with. That way, our characters would be on the same page.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 04-22-2007 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:27 AM   #1047
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Hmm...I'm thinking that in the process of putting these orcs in the pit, perhaps one of them could awaken as Shae grabs him and in response, he cries out and begins to struggle. A startled Shae would then draw her sword and perhaps even prepare to do harm until she is stopped by Lindir.

Quote:
Please don't hack the poor orc's head off....we need them all for the storyline.
Don't worry...the worst I will do is a tiny prick, and that should be just enough to scare him. That'll teach these orcs never to underestimate a woman.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:32 AM   #1048
Child of the 7th Age

Brinniel,

This sounds great to me. We haven't had anyone write yet from those characters who are actually subduing the orcs and throwing them into the pit. It would be very realistic that the first two or three would still be sleeping and dispatched with minimum hassle, but that at least one or two we were trying to subdue just after that would wake up with all the noise and try to make problems.

Realistically, we only have 12 scouts versus 6 sleeping orcs, and at least four of those in our group are off doing other things....plugging up the pit or getting news back to the other camp. So having 8 people seize six orcs (even sleeping ones) and binding them would not be that easy to accomplish. Inevitably, you'd get some later orcswaking up and trying to fight or bolt out of camp.

Definitely go for it, small wound and all!

Just realized that I had neglected to add Qat's name to the list of scouts. I've gone back and done that here. sorry, Nogrod, about that delay. I thought I'd already done it.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 04-22-2007 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:29 AM   #1049
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
Realistically, we only have 12 scouts versus 6 sleeping orcs, and at least four of those in our group are off doing other things....plugging up the pit or getting news back to the other camp. So having 8 people seize six orcs (even sleeping ones) and binding them would not be that easy to accomplish. Inevitably, you'd get some later orcswaking up and trying to fight or bolt out of camp.
I thought the same. This might not be so easy... and if something goes even a bit wrong there might be a few people who would grunt over Lindir's decision asking why didn't they just kill the orcs in the first place.

This also makes it more important that the still free orcs (the three and the females) don't meet as together they might be a bit too tough gang against the scouts. At least we couldn't then prevent the blood from running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child
Just realized that I had neglected to add Qat's name to the list of scouts. I've gone back and done that here. sorry, Nogrod, about that delay. I thought I'd already done it.
No problem, Child. Although now as Durelin has written Beloan off I don't think I have a reasonable cause to use him as it might be a bit awkward to post solely for an NPC. But anyone who can write for the scouts is free to use him. He is well after the fight and quite a soldier (a really a big man) - and possibly a bit short-nerved - so if something happens he would probably be at the place as one of the first, ready to fight anyone. So he might be one of our "troubles"...

I'm coming back as soon as I get the exams out of my hand - which should be on Monday. So on Tuesday possibly... hopefully.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #1050
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm so sorry for stealing Beloan! Please go ahead and steal him back.

And if you'd like I can edit my post.

I just had to go and maim all my characters, so it's my own fault if I'm not where the action is.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #1051
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
I'm so sorry for stealing Beloan! Please go ahead and steal him back.

And if you'd like I can edit my post.
Don't worry about that Dury. A shared character goes in the ways the writers make it go... I might "steal" him one day to continue the trek with Azhar though.

But I have a lot of catching up to do with others as well (also in other RPGs) so there is no rush from my side to use Beloan. And as Tevildo is already engaged it wouldn't be nice to change it anyway.

I'm not sure if it was "beloanish" to volunteer for a trip to get out from a place where there is action and decisions to be made but characters are able to surprise one every now and then... I'm not at all worried with that. It might even turn out to reveal new traits from him. And that would be interesting. Maybe he wished to be away because he had the moral dilemma with the issue of killing the sleeping orcs or something? We'll get that.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:51 PM   #1052
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
I'm not sure if it was "beloanish" to volunteer for a trip to get out from a place where there is action and decisions to be made
Haha...when I was writing that post I considered the options and started writing a bit about how Beloan didn't want to be away from the 'action' or something, and then I deleted it because I thought I was channeling too much Khamir.

I guess part of my choice was so that you, Tevildo, weren't stuck doing the little trip by yourself.

But, ah, I guess I'd better stop trying to explain myself and let things continue or see about editing at anyone's request...
Old 04-26-2007, 11:33 AM   #1053
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dūm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Undomie and everyone -

The second half of my save is filled.

- Regin
Old 04-27-2007, 04:35 PM   #1054
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Carl's post is up and the pit is now sufficently plugged. Please feel free to have the plug work as well or as poorly as would benefit the story. I thought perhaps the threat of having the dam burst or the maybe the discovery that it has indeed burst (resulting with the orcs in dire need of help) might be another option.

Also, I wasn't quite sure if the orc ladies were nearby the same stream Carl is momentary going to show up at. If so, feel free to use him or sight him if you'd like. He will be heading back for the camp.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:51 PM   #1055
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dūm

Hilde -

I don't know what other people think. I like your idea of the dam about to break. One way to do it is to have the orc prisoners needing rescuing. But wouldn't it work better if the orcs were maybe hauled out of the pit and being "tried" topside and then have the emergency threaten both the orc and human kids, who were messing around near the brook or maybe even inside the pit? The two groups have to pitch in to avert a disaster?

I always thought these groups hated each other enough that they'd never cooperate except they're forced to by the circumstances.....needing each other against some kind of common enemy.

Would something like that work? I don't have the pit or the water very clear in my mind, but I guess one of the reasons I like this is that some of the orcs could potentially come off looking good and not just a bunch of drunkards. Maybe the female orcs could try to intervene and also Aiwendil could give his speech to "spare" the orcs. There's a vote by the group, and the vote is death. (Isn't that realistic given the experiences of the slaves?) But then something like this happens to change the whole equation.

- Regin

Last edited by Regin Hardhammer; 04-27-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #1056
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

I think that the pit would be the most likely to fill with water, as I had described Vror and Carl as having to walk down an underground sloping passage toward camp in order to get to the chamber on the other side of the wall from the pit. I do apologize for any confusion. I see it in my mind's eye and think I haven't written it as vividly as I see it.

Maybe some people might be in the pit trying to repair the plug or move the orcs out of there when it bursts? Another option could involve children getting lost in another underground passage, but I think the first might be the stronger of the two. No time to think, just have to act quickly, you know?
Old 04-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #1057
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
My save is filled. I am so sorry it took so belatedly long.

-- Folwren
Old 04-30-2007, 04:11 PM   #1058
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regin Hardhammer
I always thought these groups hated each other enough that they'd never cooperate except they're forced to by the circumstances.....needing each other against some kind of common enemy.
I thought Child already created us a formidable enough enemy...
Old 05-03-2007, 06:19 AM   #1059
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dūm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
I filled in my save late last night for both Azhar and Dorran and asked Athwen a question....

Quote:
I thought Child already created us a formidable enough enemy...
In the long run, that's definitely true , but our enemy isn't there right now. We haven't even seen him yet, and who's to know if people will believe Aiwendil's wild report when he first returns. Some kind of incident like this would put pressure on the groups for immediate cooperation.
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.

Last edited by Tevildo; 05-03-2007 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:04 PM   #1060
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

The flooding of the pit is a good idea, and I think it could be added to the list of things that start the slaves and Fellowship members thinking that maybe Orcs aren't that different from them. But I assume this would be separate of when the final decision is being made of whether or not to kill the Orcs and the females come out of their hiding place to plead for mercy?
Old 05-04-2007, 10:44 AM   #1061
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

I have been thinking again about the situation in this story, and can’t really see why they would keep the orcs imprisoned long term, unless they intended to use them as bargaining chips should a large group of orcs show up. I might be missing the obvious but wouldn’t they prove a far too dangerous liability on the road? I should think that the question of whether or not to kill them or set them free would linger on the edges of everyone’s mind. All choices would be unsatisfactory, of course. With a flood and the females’ pleas mercy, wouldn’t a large number of the captors start identifying with the group of orcs, especially when finding out they have a similar goal in mind and were similarly oppressed? Perhaps they would recall their own imprisonment and consider freeing the creatures…but when Aiwendil returns, the two groups might decide that there is safety in numbers and that should make some sort of non-aggression pact and travel together. They curiously have common enemies as well. But how does one learn to trust an orc? If of their own accord the orcs save Men or Children from the pit, how far does that go towards earning the Men’s trust? I should think it might go far enough.

These are just some rambling thoughts on the matter
Old 05-04-2007, 11:58 AM   #1062
Child of the 7th Age

Hilde and Durelin and everyone,

I have been meaning to post my agreement on this for some time. I think it is a good idea, and we should run with it as a number of folk have posted positively.

This is where I think we are from previous posts but please tell me if I'm wrong. I am assuming the orc attempt to rescue the prisoners would come at night. At that point, Gwerr and his two companions would be trapped in the tunnel and thrown in with the rest. The rest of the camp would arrive tomorrow game time. Then the "trial" would take place.....to execute the orcs or let them go. Letting them go would probably mean setting them in the middle of nowhere minus their weapons! I doubt we're talking about cooperation at this point.

Grask's "attempt" to rescue the male orcs and the females' begging for mercy would be part of that trial. If someone wants to brandish a sword threateningly as part of all this, be my guest. The "young folk", both orc (one male, one female)and human, would be wandering off and get into trouble, but no one will know that. We've never set the female orc's age so we might want her to be younger than Grask.

Meanwhile, the entire camp could be at each other's throats....definitely the fun part! Aiwendil would come stalking in and tell everyone about the giant trolls out there on the plain. Give this situation, Aiwendil will actually suggest the possibility of the two groups cooperating, but I have a feeling that he will be ignored or rudely shouted down in the tumult of the moment. In the midst of this mayhem we get the word of trouble in the pit, and everyone has to pitch in.

Firefoot -- Grask would play a key role here, presumably as a "leader" or those who are trapped by the rising water, especially since he is physically bigger and stronger than the others. I can see the children struggling to work together in the face of impending doom. Perhaps they can teach their elders a lesson. Would you feel comfortable with this?

Please excuse my recent scarcity. Every single member of my family is flying somewhere next week and they are all going in completely different directions. As a result, I am running in circles. I will be heading out to help my eldest get his stuff back home after the end of the school term.

Unless someone objects, I will put up a generic narrative post in the next day or so that will take us to nightfall. Then the three orcs are free to try and stage their break in and get trapped. That should get us to the point where we begin to have some action.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 05-04-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:25 PM   #1063
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Firefoot -- Grask would play a key role here, presumably as a "leader" or those who are trapped by the rising water, especially since he is physically bigger and stronger than the others. I can see the children struggling to work together in the face of impending doom. Perhaps they can teach their elders a lesson. Would you feel comfortable with this?
Quite comfortable. Sounds exciting!

I'm not sure how quickly all this is going to start moving, but just as a heads-up... I'm going to be out of town this weekend, and time is going to be tight over the next couple weeks (AP tests, for those of you who are familiar with them... not to mention other end-of-school banquets and such). I'll try to stay available, though!
Old 05-04-2007, 06:50 PM   #1064
Child of the 7th Age

Sounds good, Firefoot. Judging from past experience, we will continue moving forward but slowly, so hopefully that will work with your schedule. I'll work on that post this weekend to move time forward in the scout's camp.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:20 PM   #1065
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dūm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
I'd like to have Azhar be part of the group that gets stuck in the hole. Since she's just a teenager, I thought that would be alright. Perhaps she could come along to keep an eye on the younger human children (plus she is curious to meet Grask).
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #1066
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age
I am assuming the orc attempt to rescue the prisoners would come at night. At that point, Gwerr and his two companions would be trapped in the tunnel and thrown in with the rest. The rest of the camp would arrive tomorrow game time. Then the "trial" would take place....
Are one of you Child or Regin going to write this unlucky operation of the three orcs rescue-party? I have to admit I don't have any idea of this "tunnnel" as to what it is and how the orcs would end up there...

Last edited by Nogrod; 05-05-2007 at 02:21 AM. Reason: I realised had no idea about trhis tunnel-stuff and withdraw my proposal to write the next posting here.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:26 AM   #1067
Child of the 7th Age

I'll try to get us started after I get up that post shifting us to night. I'm never good at these kind of logistics but will do my best. I'll include some general narrative that will include our joint decision to try and rescue the others. Let me know if you're uncomfortable with anything I've said or implied for your character.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:29 AM   #1068
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Yes, I have an abiding curiousity about the tunnel itself. This is not the same tunnel used to resue Azhar and Kwell, is it?

Also, I will be out of touch both Monday and Tuesday, as Mr. Bracegirdle is scheduled for surgery, first thing Monday morning.

Many thanks Child, for outlining what will be happening. It will undoubtably be a big help to me, for one!
Old 05-05-2007, 09:16 AM   #1069
Child of the 7th Age

Hilde,

Ah....

I hope the surgery goes well. I'll be thinking of you and your family.

Quote:
Yes, I have an abiding curiousity about the tunnel itself. This is not the same tunnel used to resue Azhar and Kwell, is it?
Gosh, I'm not sure. I guess we'll see when I write the post. I just wanted to get them "cornered" somewhere. A tunnel seemed possible. If not, then I'll try to think of something else. If anyone has any bright ideas on this, please post here. If not, Makdush will hopefully come up with something.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #1070
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

If it is does wind up being the same one, just remember that the lower end of it is filling up with water and the upper end is at least ankle deep. Don't know how orcs feel about washing their feet!
Old 05-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #1071
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
♥ Notice of New Game Opening ♥

Durelin and Firefoot are starting a game in the Shire.

Blood Run: A Terror Returns

If you are interested, please read the proposal – HERE.

The Discussion thread will open soon to take on players and to answer any questions.

See you there!

~*~ Pio
Old 05-06-2007, 04:46 PM   #1072
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I am so confused. I'm very sorry, but I really haven't been keeping very good track of the story ideas going on here. Does Kwell have anything to do with this tunnel plot? And is Athwen going to have a part in making sure the men don't kill the orcs?

I just got finished directing the filming for my very first movie, so I should hopefully be less sidetracked now...that is, until June starts.

If there is anything I really need to know, please tell me, so I can go back and read everything carefully. Otherwise, I'll leave it be.

-- Folwren
Old 05-07-2007, 09:32 AM   #1073
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Save filled.

I nearly wrote a quick narrative about getting all the wounded in the cart and everyone underway, but there are a lot of people's characters involved, so I didn't. If no one wants to write about their wounded characers' reactions or thoughts or anything, then I can write about moving out of this camp and going on to the next.

-- Folwren
Old 05-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #1074
Child of the 7th Age

I made it out of town, but did not manage to do my post. However, the hotel where I'm at does have a terminal in the lobby so I will try to write the post for "night falls in the scouting camp" after I get back tonight. I've put up a save for that. I'll also add a lead-in for Makdush speaking with the orcs and them setting out to try and rescue the prisoners. Makdush will have heard that only two guards will be stationed at the prisoner's pit tonight. That's a realistic possibility -- we have a very small contingent of very tired scouts and their numbers were reduced even further by the departure of two. Since Lindir does not require the same amount of sleep, he will realistically be one of the guards.

We need a second guard for the shift when the orcs strike. Folwren - Any chance that Lindir could name Kwell to do that?

Tevildo has promised to have Azhar describe the other camp getting on the road the next morning, but that won't happen till after the orcs get nabbed.

I've sent a pm to the orcs to plan.

Written in haste....
Old 05-08-2007, 08:19 AM   #1075
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Yeah, Lindir can name Kwell for that place...if he (and you) trusts him. That'd be fine. I'd be able to write with him again.

So...it's later in the afternoon now. I've been confused in my time and stuff. I think I'll have to edit some previous post or something.

-- Folwren
Old 05-08-2007, 08:56 AM   #1076
Child of the 7th Age

Regin, Nogrod, Folwren,

OK, the pm is sent regarding the orc attack. Please read and let me know if you think this is doable.

Yes, I think it is later afternoon/early evening now....
Old 05-08-2007, 10:44 PM   #1077
Child of the 7th Age

OK, I've got a pm from Regin to go ahead, but Nogrod hasn't picked up on his mail yet. I'm going to give it till morning until I fill in the save.....
Old 05-09-2007, 01:23 PM   #1078
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

I'm back again... Basically I think your plan a good one.

I have one idea though but I will PM to those involved in a moment...
Old 05-09-2007, 08:21 PM   #1079
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dūm

I'm finished with exams ( ) and home for the summer. I'll be taking a class or two but hope to have more time to write.

I read the pm and can go with the flow...whatever works out best for everyone.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #1080
Child of the 7th Age

Folwren, Nogrod, Regin,

Please check your pms. I will post as soon as we nail this down.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 05-10-2007 at 11:03 AM.