The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dûm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Would YOU recommend it?

First off, please accept my apologize if this is a thread-restarter.

I've had 'The Children of Hurin' in my shopping cart at SFBC.com for months now, but due to back-ordering/the club closing down/and me not paying bills on time, I have not received it. Now before I do receive it my main question is...

Would you recommend it?

I can read reviews from here to Timbuktu about the prose, the plot, the ideas, the suggestions. But I figured I'd ask my fellow 'downers to help me with this one.

So ... would you? And why would you?
Old 07-02-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Most definitely, even if you have read about Turin in the other books available.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:06 PM   #3
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Yes.

Because.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:14 PM   #4
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
100% YES.

Just look at what this has done to me.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
luthien-elvenprincess
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: what are you doing here? did you come here to eat my popcorn?
luthien-elvenprincess has just left Hobbiton.
Yes, I read it through in two evenings because it was so good. I didn't want to put it down the first night...but I had to work the next day!
Old 07-02-2007, 05:44 PM   #6
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I went out and bought it at once (for some reason it was on sale from day 1), but I only just started reading it a few days ago.

It is alright so far, but it is not like there is anything exeptionally new about it. . . what it does is that it makes the story for Turin easier and depending on your mood more enjoyable to read.

Now you don't have to read the UT and the Sil at the same time

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I look at it as another piece to literature's largest jigsaw puzzle. What is infuriating is that I know the puzzle will never be complete, but like a madman I keep brooding over it.

*The Dark Elf's eyes blink rapidly and there is a slight tremor in his hand*

Ummm...what were we talking about?
Old 07-03-2007, 08:52 AM   #8
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
I don't know, you may need to read the Silmarillion to get a good idea of what's going on. That's not everybody's cup of tea but I personally love it.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dûm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Response

Hilde - I do love those tales.

Bethberry - Blargy...

Morthoron - If you are referring to a 'collection', then I understand. And I'm trying to stop my materialistic behaviors if it's at all inescapable. Regurgitated story? Then I can hold back. New and improved? Well then...

Rune Son of Bjarne - So, it's a good narrative ficitional? Better then the other stories?

Elmo - I have already read it (Silm), and enjoyed it. My main question was 'Does it read better then the Silm'. Wait ... maybe it was 'Is it worth it?'. Why buy another version of a tale I already have?

-
Old 07-03-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Yes. Some characters are just so much deeper, more believable and more lovely in CoH. It's worth the money (especially if you dad's paying some of it .
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #11
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zifnab
Elmo - I have already read it (Silm), and enjoyed it. My main question was 'Does it read better then the Silm'. Wait ... maybe it was 'Is it worth it?'. Why buy another version of a tale I already have?
It's a very beautiful volume with lovely hand painted pictures. It also has, as Thinlomien says more depth in the characters, more detail in the narrative so my opinion is buy, buy, buy.

Last edited by Elmo; 07-03-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 05:52 PM   #12
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by zifnab View Post
Rune Son of Bjarne - So, it's a good narrative ficitional? Better then the other stories?

-
Yes it is. . .

What other stories? Stories in genneral or just the stories of Turin ? (like in the Sil)

The story of Turin is not my favourit, so in the respect no.

Compared to the story of Turin in the Sil it is more detailed and compared to the UT it is more readable. . .

I am glad I bought my copy, but I do not regard it as one of those books that you just got to have.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:29 PM   #13
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Having read the tale of Turin in The Silmarillion (and I think some of it was featured in Unfinished Tales, or perhaps the Book of Lost Tales Part 1), it is one of the darkest and most depressing stories I have ever read.

Is there anything besides the tale of Turin that would recommend the book to my attentions?
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:32 PM   #14
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Yes, especially if you have read most of Tolkien's works, including the Silmarillion. Not reading it would be like missing out on a whole era of Arda's history.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote