The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2004, 07:28 AM   #641
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Him indeed. Though it was not direct quote - Man in the Moon was reading Psamathos' letter to Roverandom, I count the answer as correct Carry it on to new heights

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 10-06-2004 at 07:32 AM.
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:06 AM   #642
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Here we go:
Quote:
What do you want?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 03:45 AM   #643
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Good heavens! How come I didn't see that before now ?
It's Torthelm speaking to Tídwald - right at the beginning of The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth:
"Halt! What do you want? Hell take you! Speak!"
Old 10-18-2004, 06:03 AM   #644
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Actually, I was looking for a different reference, but since that is a correct quote in a minor work, you are entitled to go ahead with a new one, Guinevere!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 10-20-2004, 12:46 PM   #645
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

I wasn't able to spot any other "what do you want?"
But I found a nice "proverb"...
Quote:
The artful don't know all the arts, they say
Old 10-20-2004, 01:09 PM   #646
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Oh, that one I know - it's Nokes, speaking to Prentice in Smith of Wootton Major!

PS - The other "what do you want" is in a poetic minor work...
Old 10-22-2004, 12:17 PM   #647
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thumbs up Exactly!

(and, btw, I found the other "What do you want?" quote : it's the drowsy cook in "The man in the moon came down too soon". )
Old 10-22-2004, 01:05 PM   #648
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Well done, Guinevere! Yes, that's the quote I had in mind. Now for a new one:
Quote:
I shall go back home.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:39 AM   #649
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

King of Faery, at one time known as Alf the Prentice, to the children at his last Feast at the position of Master Cook, as he was about to resign from said position.

Old 11-18-2004, 02:46 PM   #650
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's right, HI - you have the floor!
Old 11-19-2004, 11:00 AM   #651
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

thank you. Next one up:

Quote:
There isn't any armour in this house, and that's a fact

Old 11-25-2004, 02:31 PM   #652
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Farmer Giles to the crowd of people who want to persuade him to go dragon-hunting.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:43 PM   #653
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

yup

Old 11-26-2004, 12:52 PM   #654
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thank you, H-I !
Quote:
I would be with the mariners...
Old 12-16-2004, 04:05 PM   #655
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I've been puzzling over this one, Guinevere - it sounds like a line of poetry, but I couldn't find it in the Tom Bombadil poems. Could you give a little clue, please?
Old 12-17-2004, 02:05 AM   #656
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

You're right, it is indeed from a poem... and not one of the Tom Bombadil poems.
The full line is :
Quote:
I would be with the mariners of the deep
If that doesn't help, I'll give the next line as well.

Last edited by Guinevere; 12-17-2004 at 02:07 AM. Reason: noticed a typo
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 02:26 AM   #657
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Of course! The rhythm of the complete line helped me recognize the source. It's Philomythus speaking to Misomythus in 'Mythopoeia':
Quote:
I would that I might with the minstrels sing
and stir the unseen with a throbbing string.
I would be with the mariners of the deep
that cut their slender planks on mountains steep
and voyage upon a vague and wandering quest,
for some have passed beyond the fabled West.
Wonderful lines!!
Old 12-17-2004, 03:04 AM   #658
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thumbs up

That's it, Esty ! I love this poem, too.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:44 PM   #659
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Here's a new quote, nothing fancy:
Quote:
It's only plain language.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:39 AM   #660
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Found it at last: it is Tídwald speaking to Totta.
(after having suggested to Totta to use Beorhtnoth's body as a pillow, Totta calls Tídwald a brute.)
Old 01-08-2005, 11:43 AM   #661
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

She's got it! By Jove, she's got it! Well done, Guinevere. Pray proceed.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:27 PM   #662
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

thank you, Estelyn! Here is another quote (rather proverb-like )

Quote:
Least said, soonest mended; or patched.
If it's too short, I can add a bit more.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:14 AM   #663
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's an interesting quote - it has both a figurative and a literal meaning in that context. Artaxerxes is speaking to Roverandom.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:37 PM   #664
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Exactly!
Old 01-11-2005, 02:13 PM   #665
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Looking for fellowship:
Quote:
I must go and find a friend
Old 01-20-2005, 01:22 PM   #666
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

The lonely Troll in "Perry-the-Winkle" thinks this, before setting out to the Shire.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:43 PM   #667
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's the one, Guinevere! A new one, please...
Old 01-21-2005, 04:31 PM   #668
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thank you, Esty!
And now , something that I've lately been wondering about here in this thread:
Quote:
Why are we alone?
Old 02-01-2005, 02:31 AM   #669
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

You must have felt completely alone the past week, Guinevere! I'm back now and pondering this quote, so I hope to have an answer for you soon...
Old 02-02-2005, 07:13 AM   #670
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

It's Smith of Wootton Major speaking to his son Ned. (Everyone else was at a birthday party...)
Old 02-02-2005, 02:38 PM   #671
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Thumbs up

Yes, well done, Esty!
(And where is everyone else here ? Well, at least I found out why HI is preoccupied lately... )

Last edited by Guinevere; 02-07-2005 at 02:28 PM. Reason: had to delete an image which didn't work
Guinevere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #672
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Indeed, our esteemed minor works expert appears to have better things to do...

Well, here's a call for assistance:
Quote:
Help me with this one!
Old 02-07-2005, 10:14 AM   #673
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Quote:
Indeed, our esteemed minor works expert appears to have better things to do
Whom are you calling an 'expert', m'am? I'm a decent chap yer ladyship very well knows, ain't some trifle-picker, I am! Here you are, calling for s'stance, and just as me turns up to help, as I'm always ready, calling me names! I'm hurt, yer ladyship, that's what I am and no mistake!

The sentence you are after being said by Tidwald to Torhthelm, as they heave the bodies of the fallen in search of their Master, Beorhtnoth.

(and I've found who was who's nephew, look in trivia )

Old 02-07-2005, 03:36 PM   #674
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Precisely, HI - and what's so bad about being called an expert?? Your turn.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:43 PM   #675
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Quote:
and what's so bad about being called an expert
Nothing, really. Contrary, it's flattering Just I'm through my Pratchett (again), and the Mended Drum talk rubbed in on me a bit (Mended (formerly Broken) Drum being an infamous inn where people go to have scuffles. But good manners should be remembered, so it always starts with 'whom are you calling a [instert a word with tiny foreign flavour to it, like 'expert' per instance], pal?' kind of a prelude. Not that I was intendind to have scuffle with anyone, just 'expert' caught ear in a MD way )

Next one:

Quote:
To thy grim tool now take heed, sir!
Let us try thy knocks today!

Old 02-09-2005, 04:02 PM   #676
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That quote sounded so unfamiliar that I thought it could only be in a minor work I've not yet read. So I dug out my copy of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and sure enough! I found it. It's the Green Knight, speaking to Sir Gawain.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:47 AM   #677
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Quite correct. The floor is yours, my lady

Old 02-10-2005, 03:12 AM   #678
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Here's an easy one, but I found it amusing in the light of the time *some* of us spend here...
Quote:
What does he do with himself all day?
Old 02-10-2005, 01:38 PM   #679
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

That is Roverandom to Rover, about the Man-in-the-Moon.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:39 PM   #680
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Absolutely right - you're next, Guinevere!