The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-15-2005, 02:58 AM   #761
Bywaters
Haunting Spirit

Location: Tengiz, Kazahstan for 6 wks, then home for 2 wks. Blimey
Bywaters has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Bywaters
Thumbs up

Quote:
Lots of planets have a north
Dr Who? per chance?
Old 04-21-2005, 08:01 AM   #762
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
What do we want? Procrastination
When do we want it? Next week
Ah, Mithalwen... if only I had seen your wonderful quote in time to stage some April Foolery. Can you only imagine what a lovely half-***ed strike that would have been? With hastily made signs (only half done), people playing gameboys as they chant... Ah, the glory of it.

Fea
Old 04-21-2005, 09:18 AM   #763
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Ah, Mithalwen... if only I had seen your wonderful quote in time to stage some April Foolery. Can you only imagine what a lovely half-***ed strike that would have been? With hastily made signs (only half done), people playing gameboys as they chant... Ah, the glory of it.

Fea

I should credit the marvellous Simon Drew whose quirky take on the world brings me much joy and comfort....

http://www.simondrew.co.uk/index.html

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:30 AM   #764
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ah 'lots of planets have a north' is indeed from Doctor Who.

The new series is eminently quotable! I liked one from last week but it might not be suitable for a signature, alas. He said "do you mind not ****ing* while I'm trying to save the world?" Splendid.

* what you do after eating beans...
Old 04-21-2005, 11:17 AM   #765
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Great sig, Mith.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:09 AM   #766
Bywaters
Haunting Spirit

Location: Tengiz, Kazahstan for 6 wks, then home for 2 wks. Blimey
Bywaters has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Bywaters
Quote:
The new series is eminently quotable! I liked one from last week but it might not be suitable for a signature, alas. He said "do you mind not ****ing* while I'm trying to save the world?" Splendid.
Cool! I missed last weeks due to being down the pub. It was on in there but there was no sound. Bring on the Daleks!!!
Old 04-22-2005, 09:12 PM   #767
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Mithalwen's
Quote:
What do we want? Procrastination
When do we want it? Next week
Ouch. Right through the heart.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 09:58 PM   #768
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
That is profound. I like that. Hooray for being unreasonable!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:53 PM   #769
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Quote:
'The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water & breeds reptiles of the mind'...William Blake
Oh, I just love davem's. How picturesque! Basically we are always the same person, and over time we don't change, we just become ourselves more...that's what Anne Rice said anyway. Great quote davem. It kind of sums up why I'm voting for a dark horse in the provincials in a couple weeks.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:59 AM   #770
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
One impressionable though not very young woman saying "Gosh"

Poetry is like hermits - No point freezing your nadgers off while communing with the Infinite unless you could rely on a lot of impressionable young women to come along occasionally and say Gosh

I am nominating HerenIstarion's partly becasue it made me goggle at the screen.
Facing the reality our erudite, charming, depressingly fluent in so many languages (who else could think giving us Russian minus Cyrillic script was the kinder, easier option?), Jerome Kapka Kerome aficionado using an expression as crude as "Freezing your nadgers off", made me think the world was slightly out of kilter.. (or had been replaced by a replica - does anyone know if the dolphins are still with us?).

Old 04-26-2005, 12:07 AM   #771
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
That soon? I'm honoured, and flattered, and well pleased!

Welly well, I'm [re]reading my Pratchett and eating my greens (it's still fast down our way, soon'll be Easter, and I'll have an omelette! (probably I'll settle to read some sonnets* too, while I'm at it (at eat?)), it does me good.

The original was about good ambition of independence, as professed by Granny Weatherwax (but you probably got that ):

Quote:
Of course, Granny Weatherwax made a great play of her independence and self reliance. But the point about that kind of stuff was that you needed someone around to be proudly independent and self reliant at. People who didn't need people needed people around to know that they were the kind of people who didn't need people.
It was like hermits There was no point freezing your nadgers off on top of some mountain while communing with the Infinite unless you could rely on a lot of impressionable young women to come along occasionally and say 'Gosh'
It (the second half, that is) runs well with almost anything one can think of. It has to be shortened for 250 characters rule's sake, though.

P.S. Kilter, as far as I am any judge, proceeds from kilt, does it not? (Though my MW confesses as to 'origin unknown') As good a garment for freezing said parts off as one can dream of for the sake of communing with Infinite...

P.P.S And to bring this lengthy monologue (I may be prolix, I know) back to the dart-throwing distance of Tolkien, let me announce that Pratchett has something of Tolkien to his writing, even if it amounts to gentle mockery (like, Gimlet son of Groin persona of a dwarf-delicatessen proprietor, or strange slimy creature climbing up passing boats in a tunnel to announce it's their birthday, only to be smacked with an oar by the boaters )

-------------
* link provided so readers may get a reference. Just so

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:36 AM   #772
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well as you know I esteem Mr P. highly both as a writer and as a person (as far as can be deduced from a book signing -anyone who can be that charming and painstaking with the 300th or so person in a queue of twice as many is a good egg) and so I did get the quote.. Maskerade is a favourite...

Kilter hmm tricksy:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-kil3.htm

As for Kilts .. we all knowwho is the expert on those they are quite warm though ...lots of thick woolly material .... but they are scratchy ...... getting dermatitis just thinking about it....

You see ... "prolix" that is a much more usual HI type word .. one that sends native speakers scurrying for their dictionaries..

Old 04-26-2005, 06:55 AM   #773
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Quote:
You see ... "prolix" that is a much more usual HI type word .. one that sends native speakers scurrying for their dictionaries..
Or sends them slumbering happily in a minute or two... . The problem is, some words I employ I originally looked up in said book of worth (or digital version, that is, ABBY Lingvo). At a time, I had no means of knowing wheather the word I was memorizing had a high-brow tint to it or was 'common as muck', as Nanny was referred to in Maskerade (one of the personal favourites as well. I like Granny/Nanny and Agnes/Perdita tandem).

Thanks for the link , I have bookmarked it for future reference.

P.S Tolkien dart-throwing distance again - Agnes' left arm, operated by Perdita, may have been at least partly inspired by Frodo and his [independently] creeping arm. Though it is his right arm trying to grasp the Ring, if I'm not mistaken, in LoTR.

P.P.S Here is the instance were I follow the letter of the law rather than its spirit

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 04-27-2005 at 02:12 AM. Reason: silly me. the quote IS from Maskerade
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:08 AM   #774
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Quote:
*scurries, returns, likes new word*

A very nifty sig you have indeed, HI. Still laughworthy even after reading it several times.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:28 PM   #775
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding!

Quote:
"How can you have any puddin' if you don't eat yer meat?" - Pink Floyd
Awesome, Abercrombie. I was actually thinking about making that my sig sometime.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:53 AM   #776
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dűm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien

Gracias, I love that quote, the guy who says it is fantastic!
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 12:06 PM   #777
ElementFire
Animated Skeleton

ElementFire has just left Hobbiton.
I like Mithalwen's siggy.
-EF

I don't do kung fu, I do kung lamb!!!
ElementFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 12:21 PM   #778
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'd like to discuss the profound, philisophical meanings in Oddwen's quote:
Quote:
16 hour drum solo!!

FLOOR TOMMED!!!
Now, I adore this quote because of how it symbolises the current struggle in the Middle-East. If you think about it deep enough and consider all possible options then you will clearly see that the Western World has been there to long and it is high time that someone came along and "Floor tommed" them, or possibly "Step Momed" them or maybe, if desperately needed "Pom Pomed" them, but only if nessesary.

You can also connect this quote to our current situation up in Canada where 12 years of power have corrupted the Liberals.

But of course, the real reason this quote is so thoughtfully expressive especially for this site is that it is an Allegory for the Elves of Middle Earth. If they stay somewhere too long, they move.

I think you will see my points and I thank Oddwen for bringing such a quote of many colours into my attention. That, and I just loved that "Teen Girl Squad" episode, but that has nothing to do with it. But if you wish to view the cartoon, which is even more full of philisophical ideas, here it is:Teen Girl Squad #8
always eating chicken?

Last edited by Ainaserkewen; 04-27-2005 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:27 PM   #779
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Thumbs up

I quite like Feanor's.

Quote:
Let those that love us love us. And for those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts. And if He does not turn their hearts, then may He turn their ankles, so we will know them by their limping.
Terrible....
Old 04-29-2005, 08:44 PM   #780
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Formendacil's:

Quote:
For as we are obliged by Christian truth to acknowledge every Person [of the Trinity] singly to be God and Lord, so too are we forbidden by the Catholic religion to say that there are three Gods or Lords.
-The Athanasian Creed
I think it's interesting because it's a contradiction that has baffled me for quite some time.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:20 PM   #781
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elronds_daughter has just left Hobbiton.
I must admit I'm fond of the link in Nimmy's sig.... The Llama Song! I've watched it about twelve times too many........ "Llama, llama, cheesecake, llama, tablet, brick, potato, llama....."

Imladris's signature is very familiar to me. The reason why is buried so deeply in my mind that I can't find it..... Wait a minute. I think I've got it! Hamlet, right?

Last edited by elronds_daughter; 04-30-2005 at 02:28 PM.
elronds_daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 11:49 AM   #782
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dűm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Wait a minute. I think I've got it! Hamlet, right?
"By the pricking of my thumbs/something wicked this way comes" is from Macbeth..."Something wicked this way comes" is also the name of a book (and later a movie based upon it) by Ray Bradbury...
Old 05-01-2005, 12:02 PM   #783
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
I just saw the Llama Song in Nimmy's sig and it is the funniest thing ever. Especially the parts with the duck.

Last edited by wilwarin538; 05-02-2005 at 03:03 PM.
wilwarin538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:22 PM   #784
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
How it is that I always get beaten to my nominations, I'll never know... anyway, I'll second Fea's:
Quote:
Let those that love us love us. And for those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts. And if He does not turn their hearts, then may He turn their ankles, so we will know them by their limping.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 04:28 PM   #785
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Aww... with all these nominations, I feel a little bad that I changed my quote. But my new one is from The Boondock Saints. Just before they tap Papa Joe in the courtroom. Such a great scene...
Old 05-02-2005, 02:57 PM   #786
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Heh, I used to have that one. Great taste, is it not Fea?
always eating chicken?
Old 05-02-2005, 03:05 PM   #787
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Excellent taste, Aina, especially seeing as how I had the song you've so ironically posted in your signature in my head for a number of days. You wouldn't happen to know the translation, would you? It's terrible having words you don't know running through your head for so long...
Old 05-02-2005, 03:18 PM   #788
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Yay! Somebody noticed! *note, I totally just greeted you at the party Fea*

Here are the translations for the song: Dragostea Din Tei. You can find anything on google. I think they're available in Hebrew too...go figure!?
always eating chicken?

Last edited by Ainaserkewen; 05-02-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:03 PM   #789
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Thumbs up

Quote:
I must admit I'm fond of the link in Nimmy's sig.... The Llama Song! I've watched it about twelve times too many........ "Llama, llama, cheesecake, llama, tablet, brick, potato, llama....."
Quote:
I just saw the Llama Song in Nimmy's sig and it is the funniest thing ever. Especially the parts with the duck.
I also love the duck. The Sawyer Song (for any Lost fans) is also quite fun.
I love yours Aina! ABS is a fun website. (Though Numa numa is on several different sites.)

Last edited by Nimrodel_9; 05-02-2005 at 05:08 PM.
Nimrodel_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:42 PM   #790
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainaserkewen
Yay! Somebody noticed! *note, I totally just greeted you at the party Fea*

Here are the translations for the song: Dragostea Din Tei. You can find anything on google. I think they're available in Hebrew too...go figure!?
*mutters*: "Dragostea din tei" = "The love from the lime tree". Can you say that with a straight face?

*seconds (thirds?) the nomination for Imladris's sig.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:20 PM   #791
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

The site Aina gave translates it as "Love from the linden trees," which is much nicer. Also, it reminds me of the Lay of Leithian, "light as leaf on linden tree" and all that, which is nice too.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:10 PM   #792
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
(Though Numa numa is on several different sites.)
I just tried to find sites that would play the flash when you opened the page. I'm trying to convert people to a) Numa Numa domination and b) become Napoleon Dynamite Disco Dance addicts so if you have to click something twice that you don't know what it is, you lose interest.

Quote:
The site Aina gave translates it as "Love from the linden trees," which is much nicer. Also, it reminds me of the Lay of Leithian, "light as leaf on linden tree" and all that, which is nice too.
Yes! Don't you love it when random things apply to a particular thing that they should've even when you didn't mean them to? I think I'll keep this sig for awhile, I rather like the instant access to Napoleon dancing, don't you?
always eating chicken?
Old 05-03-2005, 06:49 AM   #793
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementFire
I like Mithalwen's siggy.
-EF

Tahnk you - do you know where it is from ?

Old 05-03-2005, 06:56 PM   #794
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
do you know where it is from?
Upon some hither shore?

p.s. ending a sentence with a preposition!? what are you doing that for?
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:22 AM   #795
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm fond of Oddwen's:
Quote:
Here's to you, Mr. Barrow-Wight
Angband holds a place for those who prey
Hey-hey-hey
An excellent parody of a classic song.
It caught my attention quickly, as the song was running through my head at the time.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:24 AM   #796
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Only Real Estel
Upon some hither shore?

p.s. ending a sentence with a preposition!? what are you doing that for?

Because I am a descriptive not a prescriptive linguistician and refuse to force the English language into the unsuitable confines of Latin grammar rules. And to quote someone whose mastery of the English language I cannot hope to emulate, "That is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put!".

However my sig comes from "Gosford Park"

Old 05-04-2005, 01:03 PM   #797
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
Because I am a descriptive not a prescriptive linguistician and refuse to force the English language into the unsuitable confines of Latin grammar rules. And to quote someone whose mastery of the English language I cannot hope to emulate, "That is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put!".
I will give the same reason for why I don't care about prepositions either...although the fact that I just don't care is probably closer to the truth.

ElementFire's: He who stands on toilet is high on pot.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:28 PM   #798
elronds_daughter
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
ElementFire's: He who stands on toilet is high on pot
Good gracious, that one nearly made me fall of my chair! <commences laughing fit> Um, yes. I'll stop now.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:57 PM   #799
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
ElementFire's: He who stands on toilet is high on pot.
Quote:
Good gracious, that one nearly made me fall of my chair! <commences laughing fit> Um, yes. I'll stop now.
It almost made me fall of the toilet I was standing on--I mean, uh...yeah it was funny.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:35 PM   #800
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Ainaserkewen's signature rocks; I've been addicted to Dragostea Din Tei since last summer.