The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #121
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
An interesting choice indeed.

Well they both share some common traits, first and foremost the fact that they were both lured by something larger than themselves and were corrupted by that - and finally destroyed by it.

Asking why Gollum was lured by the craft of Sauron is a no-brainer - even if Gollum's story is touchy and tragic.

But with Saruman things get a bit more intersting. First he was lured by curiosity and knowledge (which I personally value much higher than just some dull shiny objects ) but then somehow Sauron managed to twist him. Now how come that be as they were both of the maiar? What really happened there between the two an what were they thinking? Of these Tolkien doesn't but give a few little hints...

Though Saruman's downfall I have always found a bit anti-climatic. Not that every major character should exit the scene with a loud bang and some stupenduos fireworks, but somehow that whole "Sharkey" -episode with his personal revenge to the hobbits is just bad looking it from the point of view of Saruman's character. (From the hobbit POV it's different; they needed the final trial for the story to end)

Heh, the classical choice between the intellectual excitement vs. the emotional "being moved"...

I may need to abstain from voting this day. Let's see.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #122
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
But with Saruman things get a bit more intersting. First he was lured by curiosity and knowledge (which I personally value much higher than just some dull shiny objects ) but then somehow Sauron managed to twist him. Now how come that be as they were both of the maiar? What really happened there between the two an what were they thinking? Of these Tolkien doesn't but give a few little hints...
Sauron? What? No, no, good mister! Now you are being unjust to poor Saruman! It was all only his own fault, his own achievement to fall! He met Sauron only much, much later!

Quote:
Though Saruman's downfall I have always found a bit anti-climatic. Not that every major character should exit the scene with a loud bang and some stupenduos fireworks, but somehow that whole "Sharkey" -episode with his personal revenge to the hobbits is just bad looking it from the point of view of Saruman's character. (From the hobbit POV it's different; they needed the final trial for the story to end)
I actually find his end really great, this Sharkey-thing. Being completely destroyed, losing everything this way? Fascinating, I say. "A little mischief in a mean way", that summed it pretty well, and it's just great!

Oh my, this got me really to think again about Saruman. I have never possibly seen a more complex and more fascinating character than him. I like Gollum (the original one, whenever I happen to discard the movie imagination of him), but against Saruman, simply nobody stands a real chance.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #123
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Oh my, this got me really to think again about Saruman. I have never possibly seen a more complex and more fascinating character than him.
While Saruman is in and of himself interesting, what I really find enthralling (as an addition to perfection, if you know what I mean) is the whole of Isengard and Orthanc as a stronghold, base of operations, and center of doings for Saruman. The aura of production and breeding, the design and craftswork of the Numenoreans' unbreakable tower now being used by this ultimate character completely carries me away.

Quote:
Originally posted by Legate
but against Saruman, simply nobody stands a real chance.
All the way no one could dream of standing within about 50 miles of Saruman.

The word "cool" understates him.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:01 PM   #124
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Who is to question? He's just wonderful. He is Curumo, the Head of the Order, he is Saruman the White, the Wise, he is Curunír, the Loremaster of the Rings, the Master of the Voice, he is Saruman of Many Colours, the Betrayer, the Bringer of the New Order, he is The White Hand, the one who leads the Uruk-Hai, the Lord of Isengard; and last but not least, he is Sharkey, the exile, who lost everything but his pitiful servant, he is the Destroyer of the Shire, and the guy with a fabulous death scene! All hail to Saruman!!!
Ya, what he said!

++Saruman
Old 11-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #125
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I would have to say

++Saruman

if for no other reason than that he apparently was, at one time, a good guy. Gollum got sucked in by the Ring so fast, I can't help but think he was already something of a stinker at heart.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:27 PM   #126
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
White-Hand

Alright, time for me to stop being facetious.

I must make a decision and even though Gollum is a far better literary creation, I have to hold up my 'white hands' right now and admit that I find Saruman utterly cool and always have done. So if I had to live without one or indeed spend time with one of them, it would be Saruman and I'd be a fool to deny it. He's just so clever and interesting with his 'Third way' of doing things, thinking he could do things his way apart from either the Valar or Sauron.

++Saruman
Old 11-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #127
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
++Saruman

Hands down the most effective liar in the history of literature.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:08 PM   #128
Ilya
Wight

Ilya has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

++ Gollum

He's the only ringbearer who actually accomplishes exactly what he sets out to do.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:24 PM   #129
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Well... let's see... Gollum is much the more sympathetic villain, but

++Saruman

is cooler.

(Besides, I came out as him on the character quiz.)
Old 11-24-2008, 12:12 AM   #130
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil View Post
Exactly, I'm glad somebody finally recognizes that my opinion is always right. Skip, I've got a new plan, my vote carries the weight of 10 other votes, that should help bring some sanity back into these precedings.
Funny you should mention that because I've just decided to implement this rule, only with the slight alteration that it is my vote that carries the extra weight. Must save the precious, yesss.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:18 AM   #131
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
White-Hand

These
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum the Great View Post
what I really find enthralling (as an addition to perfection, if you know what I mean) is the whole of Isengard and Orthanc as a stronghold, base of operations, and center of doings for Saruman.
three
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniðilpathânezel View Post
if for no other reason than that he apparently was, at one time, a good guy.
things
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
He's just so clever and interesting with his 'Third way' of doing things, thinking he could do things his way apart from either the Valar or Sauron.
reflect clearly the variety of possibilities for which one can like Saruman: that's exactly the variety inside him which I was talking about! Many-colours, indeed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Hands down the most effective liar in the history of literature.

And skip, you may be the starter of this thread, but if you try to undermine our voting efforts, we are going to drop a Palantír on your head.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 11-24-2008, 10:09 AM   #132
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Aye Legate, and his "crows and gibbets" speech is purely a thing of beauty.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:10 AM   #133
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
++ Saruman

The silver-tongued white-handed red-hot wizard of many colours indeed.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #134
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
And skip, you may be the starter of this thread, but if you try to undermine our voting efforts, we are going to drop a Palantír on your head.
Okay, okay, those things are really heavy!

Saruman wins 9-4

Match 9 of round 1

Next up is another exiting encounter. Both are bearded, old and in possession of supernatural abilities but whereas one lives for his work, the other lives for pleasure.

Gandalf vs Tom Bombadil
Old 11-24-2008, 12:12 PM   #135
Gollum the Great
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gollum the Great has just left Hobbiton.
Definitely

++Gandalf

Wielder of the Flame of Anor. Wise old counselor. Reminds my of my grandfather, full of intelligence, speaks in riddles, stern at times yet lovable.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #136
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Bombadil is too silly for me. He is, at least to me, the ultimate ADD patient. Therefore I would have to pick Gandalf.

++Gandalf

I don't vote for Gandalf because I dislike Tom Bombadil (lots of people in this thread are simply voting the other way because they don't like the match up), but because I really enjoy Gandalf better than that crazy "jolly Tom". Tolkien's way of sanctifying a prophet in his myth, Gandalf shows the true selflessness of a leader, and he is the only one out of the five Blue Wizards who stay true to the original purpose of Eru. We see the best of him as a care free old wander while in the Shire (as a rule only, as Aragorn states) and we see the cunning wise wizard that he is while he executes his plan to unite the free peoples of Middle-earth to fight against the forces of evil. Yet for all that we know about him there is still a sense of mystery around him, not even Galadriel knew his full purpose.

Anyway, I think Gandalf sayed it best in the comparision between him and Bombadil when he said: "He is a moss gathere, and I am a stone doomed to rolling."
Old 11-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #137
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
++Gandalf

Such a lovely mix of gentle wisdom, pity, true caring for citizens of Middle-Earth and a flaring temper with more than a little "toughness". Besides, he has an incredibly funny sense of humour at times.

Jolly old Tom is rather sympathetic too, but he just can't compete with one of my all-time favourites.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #138
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
++Gandalf

Bombadil's gear is just too flamboyant, and his poetry is horrid.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #139
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
he is the only one out of the five Blue Wizards who stay true to the original purpose of Eru.
I think you mean one out of the five Wizards. Only two of them were Blue, and Gandalf was certainly Grey.

Speaking of him,

++Gandalf

Another great personality, and there's lot about him to admire, and besides, there's so many tales which could be told about him, so many things about which we know just hints! (To name just the most "obvious" ones: How exactly did it go when he as in Dol Guldur? What did he do in Moria when he was there for the first time? What did he do in Angmar or Nurn?!?!) Old TB is not a bad guy, but... he just is not as interesting.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:28 PM   #140
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Okay, okay, those things are really heavy!

Saruman wins 9-4

Match 9 of round 1

Next up is another exiting encounter. Both are bearded, old and in possession of supernatural abilities but whereas one lives for his work, the other lives for pleasure.

Gandalf vs Tom Bombadil
Seriously, Skip, I have you pinned now. I've got your number. I know who you are.

You, sir, are the evil pixie who lives in the bottom of the machine thing that they draw numbers out of for FA Cup Fixtures and who nixes it and makes for evil match-ups.

Anyway, as much as I lurve (yeah, lurve, bleurgh) Tom Bombadillo, it has to be Gandalf as he's runner up Best Wizard Ever.

++Gandalf
Old 11-24-2008, 02:38 PM   #141
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Oh come on where's the TB love?

++Tom Bombadil

I don't think any other character has as many thread dedicated to him than ole Bombadil.

Besides...Gandalf is the perpetrator of the horribe "Gandalf uncloaked!" gags, and he eats hobbits.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #142
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
+ + Smaug , oh wait, he wasn't invited
to this contest

Well, then + + Tom Bombadil , since
he wasn't invited to PJ's movies.

Quote:
Besides...Gandalf is the perpetrator of the horribe "Gandalf uncloaked!" gags, and he eats hobbits.
And he assaults noble Stewards of Gondor (Hey, it must be true, it's on tape)!

Last edited by Tuor in Gondolin; 11-24-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Tuor in Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #143
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Olórin learned to cry with Nienna but no one knows where Tom learned to laugh.

Gandalf is just one wizard-maia - even though the greatest of them by any means - but what is Tom? No one knows where did he come from or how long has be been around?

Gandalf is weak enough to be afraid of the master-ring but Tom just toys with it.

Do I need say more?

++ Tom Bombadill

Even if silly, he's the coolest guy in the whole ME. He carries something of Aristotle's megalopsykhia with him, the highest virtue - to be enough for himself not to count his worth on the opinions of others, and secure enough to be able to hold his ground (or those he cared / were good) if challenged.

One should not step on the toes of a wizard... but even less should one make Tom angry. (Tom just sang the Barrow-Wight away... Gandalf would have needed threats, magic + fire and brimstone to that effect!)

To be honest I do love Gandalf as all of you others but we need some competition here - and Aganzir painted my boots yellow anyway!

Last edited by Nogrod; 11-24-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:29 PM   #144
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Besides...Gandalf is the perpetrator of the horribe "Gandalf uncloaked!" gags
All the more reason to vote for him. I must agree with Lal in that this is a difficult match up indeed.

++Tommy

His taste in women is much better than Gandalf's
Old 11-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #145
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
++Gandalf

Because he pretty much literally saved my life. (long story, on my website)
Old 11-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #146
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Gandalf leads only 7-4!
Old 11-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #147
Ilya
Wight

Ilya has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Oh, this is a tough call, but I gotta go

++Gandalf

Gotta love a made who can always handle white, and has the sense not to sing too much.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #148
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
++Tom Bombadil

How can you not vote for him‽

edit: Yes, I'm aloud to use strange punctuation marks.

Last edited by Eönwë; 11-24-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #149
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
++Tom Bombadil

How can you not vote for him!
Listen, I nearly abstained, this is getting ridiculous! I'm a Libran, this is literally torture to me.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:28 PM   #150
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
++Gandalf

because he's one of my favourite characters ever.

EDIT: fixed bolding.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:16 AM   #151
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

++Bombadil

He's got enough confidence in his manhood to wear outlandish outfits and colour-combinations and to strut around like a fairy despite the conservative environment he is in. Plus, I've heard Gandalf beats Hobbits. Or Eats. Probably both.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:31 AM   #152
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Quote:
I've heard Gandalf beats Hobbits. Or Eats. Probably both.
Actually, that's a misreported rumor. It's said in Mordor that Gandalf was
a "headhunter" for Smaug, sending him nice scrumptious hobbits under
the pretext of being treasure hunters until one of them, to Gandalf's astonishment, actually helped killed the worm!

note: Saruman objected to Gandalf's actions (on ethical grounds) and was known
to send messengers to try rescue hobbits from danger and bring them
safely to Orthanc.

Last edited by Tuor in Gondolin; 11-25-2008 at 07:36 AM.
Tuor in Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:20 AM   #153
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin
Anyway, I think Gandalf sayed it best in the comparision between him and Bombadil when he said: "He is a moss gathere, and I am a stone doomed to rolling."
Yes, that's fitting - and when I read that passage, I'm immediately much more fascinated by the moss-gatherer. We have seen many of those rolling stones, but moss-gatherers not nearly as much.

++ Bombadil

I love the sense of mystery about him, the way no one knows what he is or where and when he came from. Yeah, Gandalf is cool and all that and I like him a lot, but he doesn't have the same intrigue as Tom. He's a trifle too hero for my taste. No can do, folks - Ol' Gandalf just doesn't interest me as much as Tom does.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:49 AM   #154
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

Is a remarkable comeback under way? Gandalf raced to a 6-0 lead but Bombadillo has clawed himself back into it and now trails only by 9-7. Tom was the first to walk the hills and fields but will he also be the last man standing? Sing up a storm Tommy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Seriously, Skip, I have you pinned now. I've got your number. I know who you are.

You, sir, are the evil pixie who lives in the bottom of the machine thing that they draw numbers out of for FA Cup Fixtures and who nixes it and makes for evil match-ups.
Now that's just plain ridiculous! I'll have you know I'm just a regular run-of-the-mill pixie who isn't evil in any way and wouldn't dream of mixing with the draw of any competition, in association football or otherwise. Besides, pixies don't fit into lottery machines, everybody knows that! What the FA Cup and the Popularity Cup have in common though is that there's no seeding.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:55 AM   #155
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
To be honest I do love Gandalf as all of you others but we need some competition here - and Aganzir painted my boots yellow anyway!

++ Tom Bom, jolly Tom

One of my favourite characters. His carefree attitude is something I try to remember myself - why worry about minor things? All in all he's a better role model to me than Gandalf.
I guess the most important things why I like him are his independence and freedom. I would love to live like him in a small house in the middle of a creepy forest, not being afraid of it because it has no power on him. And yes I agree with morm - his taste in women is way ahead of Gandalf, although having read the Adventures of Tom Bombadil, one might want to question his means.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:30 AM   #156
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
You cannot vote for an enigma, that woul just be silly!

++Gandalf

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #157
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
You cannot vote for an enigma, that woul just be silly!
Well, I wouldn't say voting for an enigma is actually silly. That's actually what many people like. But still, I prefer Gandalf simply for what he is like. And speaking of it, even Gandalf himself is, from part, an enigma...

As much as everyone is, for that matter.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #158
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

That's it, despite a late scare Gandalf has defeated Tom Bombadill 10-8. Perhaps Tom will find comfort in Goldberry's warm bosom.

Match 10 of Round 1:

Finally it's time for the first woman to enter the competition. Eowyn, the shield maiden, is up against lore-master Elrond.

Elrond vs. Eowyn
Old 11-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #159
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Finally it's time for the first woman to enter the competition. Elrond vs. Eowyn
Ummm...which one is the woman?

Sorry, was having a movie moment. Actually, I'll go with ++Elrond, who is more feminine than the manly Eowyn.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #160
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
What a difficult question! I don't know... Elrond is a great person, no doubt, but he's also a bit boring. I like Éowyn's personality and her story is most touching, but her end kind of irks me. Why does it have to be so that a woman only finds peace when she gets married and learns to accept the place society has given her? But if I put away my feminist grudgings, I actually like her, and even her story... Hmm... Must think about this.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote