The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-13-2008, 02:01 PM   #41
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Full predictions of the Daily Star Sword's sport correspondent

GROUP A
FORNOST
MICHEL DELVING
RIVENDELL (H)
ROMENA

Rivendell are the clear favourites here; the charm and financial leverage of their home city (or strictly speaking, home home) has got them something close to an all-star squad. (Are the twins worth their caps though? Or in by nepotism?)

The second strongest team is Romena, a grizzled Akallabeth and Last Alliance League victor with a glittering striker.

An upset could however be mounted by the veteran, if low-budget, Fornost under the experienced management of Mr. Aime Hunter. Michel Delving? Michel Diving more like. They'll use their endemic crowd-pleasing to get away with a lot of cheating, but still, whenever have Halflings proved a threat outside the regionals?

OK, last World Cup. But they had Gandalf (who has now let the bucks draw him to Elrond's side) and they were on anabolic pipeweed. I say:

WINNER: Rivendell
SECOND: Romena
UPSET: Fornost
RELEGATE: Michel Delving

GROUP B
BREELAND
EDORAS (H)
MIRKWOOD
TOL-IN-GAURHOTH

Tol-in-Gaurhoth have a massive, captive, fan-base, the most sophisticated tactics in the tournament, and huge stars onside. But will they let over-analysis and celebrity run away with them? I reckon the overconfident wolfies might lose some gloss here. I hear they've had recruitment trouble as well.

Mirkwood and Edoras both have dream-team offensive capabilities. Despite Edoras's pair of excellent strikers, Mirkwood has three exceptional ones, and overall a more solid quality (even if "Gazza" Galion's skills in defence aren't what they were).

Breeland...nice try lads. Your fans' chanting should be quite funny. I say:

WINNER: Mirkwood
SECOND: Tol-in-Gaurhoth
UPSET: Edoras
RELEGATE: Breeland

GROUP C
ALQUALONDE
DORIATH (H)
FORMENOS
ISENGARD

I have little to add to my coverage above. Go get 'em boys! Your strategy can do with work to be honest - Cel Curu n' Caran should be on the midfield, while Maglor's better tested in defence - but your skill is The Best. Here's hoping the White Lady shows off her legs and scores too...

Doriath are the other respectable team; Isengard could try Maiarin tricks; Alqualonde will fare no better than Galdor's Mithlond side did last year. I swear:

WINNER: FOOOORRRRRRRRMENOS!!!
SECOND: Doriath
UPSET: Isengard
RELEGATE: Alqualonde

GROUP D
LOTHLORIEN
NARGOTHROND
OSGILIATH (H)
UMBAR

Two classes here, simply: the Elder children, and, way out of their league, the younger.

Captains Galadriel and Finrod should generate an interesting spark of sibling rivalry. Finrod has a way better quality side, but Galadriel really, really plays to win. Felagund's a golden boy but Gally's gold has steel in it. No upset likely here.

WINNER: Lothlorien
SECOND: Nargothrond
RELEGATE: Osgiliath, Umbar

GROUP E
EREBOR
GONDOLIN (H)
GONDOR
TUNA

Team play? Pshah, what counts here is individual style, and that is why Gondolin will win, with Sharpboot top scorer. Captain Turgon's boys are lucky to have acquired the temperamental genius back from Angband. They know he's open to bids and they'll make sure and leave him opportunities for glory this time...or else.

Tuna has plenty of quality, but a typically hesitant strategy from cautious captain Finarfin. Gondor and Erebor both rely on heavyweight key players, but Gondor only has one of real note: "Swanny" Imrahil; Erebor can call on Beorn and Smaug.

WINNER: Gondolin
SECOND: Tuna
RELEGATE: Erebor, Gondor

GROUP F
AMON RHUD
ARMENELOS
HELM'S DEEP
TANIQUETIL (H)

Taniquetil have the biggest budget in the game, and tend to destabilise the league, ever since mysterious oligarch Eru Illuvatavich bought them up as a side business for his line in universes. They run a risk against really veteran and skilled sides - Tol-in-Gaurhoth, Formenos, Gondolin, most of all probably Angband - but are otherwise untouchable.

Armenolos have a decent standard and a rightly feared striker. Helm's Deep are typically full of last minute surprise moments. Amon Rhud's captain Forweg is struck by slease allegations and Androg is their only quality player. They're down for sure.

WINNER: Taniquetil
SECOND: Armenolos
UPSET: Helm's Deep
RELEGATE: Amon Rhud

GROUP G
HITHLUM
MINAS TIRITH
MORDOR (H)
MORIA

Hithlum should waltz this senza problemo - the rest are regional heroes like Moria (never scored major victory outside the Azog Memorial League) and teams of frankly siphoned talent. Still, even though Minas Tirith looks like a glorified sub-bench with all the royal sparkle bought off elsewhere, lots of their players are a safe pair of hands; Denethor II, Boromir I, Mardil, their stewardship's just legendary, they can cope with trouble.

Mordor as one of my colleagues observed has gone from hero to zero - though the Witch King has strategic talent, his minions just won't be up for the long-haul.

WINNER: Hithlum
SECOND: Minas Tirith
RELEGATE: Mordor, Moria

GROUP H
ANGBAND (H)
ANNUMINAS
BRETHIL
VALIMAR

Angband. The other big hitter after Taniquetil, financially. They bought the Sharpboot from Gondolin and they sold him back, trading him in for an exceptional Balrog training and recruiting programme. What they lack in strategic thought they make up in brutal endurance, might, and physicality. Our boys and Gondolin might get grudge match inspiration against these guys, and Taniquetil could give them a straightforward ride, but here they will slaughter their opposition. Valimar for the runner up here. The other two...Men? Men in this situation are toootally weak.

WINNER: Angband
SECOND: Valimar
RELEGATE: ...who are those two again?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #42
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel View Post
GROUP C
ALQUALONDE
DORIATH (H)
FORMENOS
ISENGARD

I have little to add to my coverage above. Go get 'em boys! Your strategy can do with work to be honest - Cel Curu n' Caran should be on the midfield, while Maglor's better tested in defence - but your skill is The Best. Here's hoping the White Lady shows off her legs and scores too...

Doriath are the other respectable team; Isengard could try Maiarin tricks; Alqualonde will fare no better than Galdor's Mithlond side did last year. I swear:

WINNER: FOOOORRRRRRRRMENOS!!!
SECOND: Doriath
UPSET: Isengard
RELEGATE: Alqualonde
While you are to be commended for loyalty to your team colours, Anguirel, I think I'll up the stakes around here a little regarding the outcome of this grouping. After all, what's a sports competition without some friendly rivalry? As much as I'm a fan of Team Fëanáro, you have to take a look at the track record. Doriath has the most renowned defencive side in the league. Melian's record is spotless. The only time the Fëanorians have ever scored against Doriath, Melian was out on grief leave, and even with Melian, Lúthien, and Elwë all absent, Doriath still put up such a fight that, though Formenos could claim to have won, the Curu-Caran-Celeg power trio had been completely neutralized and they were still prevented from taking home the Nauglamír Cup. A draw is the best that Team Fëanor can claim from that series.

With Melian and Thingol back on the team, I don't think you can be so confidant about a victory from Team Fëanor. The strength of the Fëanorians is in their offencive; look at their rivalry with Angband: when they have Angband back in a corner, Team Fëanor plays masterfully, but as you can see in the Nirnaeth series, when the other side gets control of the offencive, the Fëanorians tend to fall apart. On the other hand, the strong point of Team Doriath is their unbeatable offence. If the Fëanorians cannot dent that defence, and with Melian back I don't see it as all that likely, they won't know what to do if Doriath manages to get control of the ball. All it takes is one goal...

So, let's make this a good, old-fashioned rivalry. I'm going to say that Doriath takes the grouping. I also wouldn't write off Isengard so quickly. Underestimating the Ents cost Saruman dearly in the past. My prediction? The Fëanorians will again be "dispossessed".

Group C:
Winner: Doriath
Second: Formenos
Upset: Isengard
Relegate: Alqualondë
Old 05-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #43
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
Out of all of the teams I've randomly made 3 logos (so far) under the direction of one (very creative), Formendacil. And I do mean random, folks. ;D

I'll be converting these to 60x60 images for avatars once finished.

Alqualonde, Edoras and Tol-In-Gaurhoth

(and no, I didn't notice that they were all green and neutral colors until after I posted this.)

Last edited by Valesse; 05-13-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Valesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:42 PM   #44
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valesse View Post
-snip- under the direction of one (very creative), Formendacil. -snip-
A very creative Formendacil, you say? I don't believe I've ever met one.

You're too kind, Valesse.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:01 PM   #45
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
From the pages of The Bree Blast:
Quote:
In a stunning developement Smaug has
quit team Erebor. Declaring "I've had it with that
#%$&^ arrow-shooting &^)%$ Bard'! I'm outa here!
Pending an inquiry Smaug has been suspended from the
team. The Iron Hills consortium ownership
has tentatively elected to replace the prima donna dragon
with Ancalagon the Black or Sacatha the Worm who, while superb
athletes, have never performed at Middle-earth level competition.

Last edited by Tuor in Gondolin; 05-13-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Tuor in Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #46
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Those are some lovely group breakdowns there. I will try and get the fantasy rules and such sorted out and up on a thread tonight or tomorrow during the day. I will also give an *official* team by team breakdown to help you decide what to expect from teams. Not that two defensive teams can't have an unusual day and play a 4-3 game, but I will try and tell you what sort of thing is most likely from teams and players.

Spread word to other Downers about what we are going to be doing here. After the fantasy thread is up I will post the complete game schedule here for group play.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:07 AM   #47
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
GROUP F
AMON RHUD
ARMENELOS
HELM'S DEEP
TANIQUETIL (H)

No fair. Even if the other three teams can carry anakronistic oxygen tanks up Taniquetil, their playing will still be severely hampered. At least Amon Rudh is a bit accustomed to playing in heights, but still.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:02 AM   #48
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Don't you think that whatever team the phantom is on is always going to have an unfair advantage?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flame Throwers are ALWAYS an option.JPG (18.0 KB, 333 views)
Old 05-16-2008, 06:13 AM   #49
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hookbill, was that other guy Menel?

Oh, phantom dear, when will we see the complete roster of players for Team TiG?
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:43 AM   #50
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

Quote:
Oh, phantom dear, when will we see the complete roster of players for Team TiG?
Okay, here's what we have so far...

TOL-IN-GAURHOTH
G- Drauglin
DF- To Be Decided
DF- To Be Decided
DF- Cailin
MF- Lhuna
MF- Thuringwethil
MF- Eomer
MF- the phantom
FW- Formendacil
FW- Nogrod
FW- Sauron

There are still two roster spots open. Vote for a Downs WW player to fill the slots by pming me. Remember that voting also gets you a vote for yourself.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:45 AM   #51
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Hm, after viewing that cartoon I can see that Alien might be quite useful. Perhaps we should make him part of the coaching staff.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:52 AM   #52
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

I just thought... since Ang declined his roster spot, perhaps I should offer the spot to the fifth person who posted?

That would be McCaber, I believe.

How about it, lad? Fancy being a defender for the fearsome Tol-In-Gaurhoth team?
Old 05-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #53
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

The reason I'm so anxious to fill the remaining two slots is because I cannot start the fantasy thread without complete rosters.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #54
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
A starting defender for an all-star team... phantom, I would be honored. I accept this challenge.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #55
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

All right, the full rosters are up on the fantasy thread. I will post the match schedule here in the next couple days.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:03 PM   #56
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye First round of group play...

GROUP A, at Rivendell
Michel Delving vs Romena
Fornost vs Rivendell

GROUP B, at Edoras
Mirkwood vs Tol-In-Gaurhoth
Breeland vs Edoras

GROUP C, at Doriath
Alqualonde vs Formenos
Doriath vs Isengard

GROUP D, at Osgiliath
Nargothrond vs Umbar
Lothlorien vs Osgiliath

GROUP E, at Gondolin
Erebor vs Gondor
Gondolin vs Tuna

GROUP F, at Taniquetil
Amon Rhud vs Armenelos
Helm's Deep vs Taniquetil

GROUP G, at Mordor
Hithlum vs Moria
Minas Tirith vs Mordor

GROUP H, at Angband
Brethil vs Valimar
Angband vs Annuminas

And there you have it! Get on over to the fantasy thread to post your fantasy teams and such. You still have plenty of time. We won't be ready to kick the tournament off until Nog's Wizard Werewolf game has started most likely.

Go ahead and give your match predictions here. What do you think will happen, and why?
Old 05-24-2008, 08:27 AM   #57
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
GROUP H, at Angband
Brethil vs Valimar
Angband vs Annuminas

There must have been quite a stir when two of the biggest and most bitter rivals were drawn together. With their home advantage Angband will be looking for revenge after their famous collapse in the final of the classic FA (first age) cup. And with seven Balrogs, a dragon, and former ME footballer or the year Melkor on the team rooster there's no denying their formidable firepower. Valimar, led by prolific strikers Eonwe and Tulkas, might try to take advantage of Angband's relatively weak left wing, where the accursed and inexperienced Ulfang and Uldor might run into trouble agaist the pace of Orome. There are also questionmarks regarding the Angband strikeforce as top scorer Glaurung is out with a pierced underbelly. In his absense Gotmog has been forced to play up front, and although no one denies his quality, some pundits say he plays best directing play from behind the front line. The dark horse of this Angband side is Ancalagon the Black. A string of injuries have kept him out of action for many years and his international experience is very limited, but he is said to be fit now and insiders say he's even better than Glaurung. This will be a big opportunity for him to showcase his talents.

Group prediction: Angband and Valinor will be too strong for Annuminas and Brethil who will have to contend with battling it out for third spot. Angband might just notch a win against Valinor at home in their cavernous underground stadion, although Valinor also has it's fair share of support here. I believe the goalies might play an important part deciding this heavyweight contest . Valimar's keeper Ungoliant is a very good player but has a poor record against the Balrogs. Angband's Carcaroth on the other hand is a good shotstopper but has a tendency to stray off his line or fall asleep on it.

Last edited by skip spence; 05-24-2008 at 10:48 AM.
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:00 AM   #58
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

All right, so it's finalised.

I will post my team tomorrow (very busy today). Incidentally, Cailín is bewildered by this game.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:43 PM   #59
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim View Post
Incidentally, Cailín is bewildered by this game.
Isn't that the only proper reaction to everything in this branch of the forum?

Anyway, I too am rather busy, but let's lay down a little more heat for the feud I would perpetrate between myself and Master Anguirel. In regards to the GROUP C games at Doriath, I am going to predict that Alqualondë will beat Formenos, simply because Frodo and Bilbo are playing for the Swan Haven, and they managed in eighty years between the two of them to do what eight Fëanorians had the whole First Age to attempt: take down a Dark Lord. Plenty of goals will be scored, and defence will be criticized.

What shall the stakes be, Master Anguirel? If Formenos comes out ahead in this series (ahead of Doriath, that is, not ahead of Alqualondë), shall I don a Fëanorian avatar? What if I (Doriath) win? Shall you don... of all things... a Thingolian avatar?
Old 05-28-2008, 11:14 PM   #60
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Not really, she knows what Mirth is about, but I tried explaining that she -- unbeknownst to her -- was playing football for the Tol-in-Gaurhoth team and that fans, opponents and pundits will be analysing her every move this summer.

Some footballers dream of stardom; some have stardom thrust upon them.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #61
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

All right- that's two teams and predictions thus far- Eomer and Cailin.

Formy, Valesse, Ang, Lhuna, McCaber, Gwath, Tuor, Skip, and Hook- you've all posted on the thread. I'd love to see you submit predictions and a fantasy team. It doesn't take much time. I have all of the next two months to get this tournament in, but I'd like to get started sooner rather than later.

PM people that you think might be interested in this sort of thing. Once I have enough people I'll start the matches, and that's when the fun will really start!

Visit the fantasy thread to make your picks.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #62
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
I predict that the fact that Mordor playing at home will result in massive hooligan problems with drunken orcs running rampage, and opposition fans and players disappearing off to the House of Lamentations. A bit like Glasgow Rangers now I think about it. I tip them to do well.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #63
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Shield

Elmo, on my Dons fans forum, one of the names for Ibrox, Glasgow is indeed Mordor. You can guess who the Orcs are.

Ah, football...
Old 06-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #64
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
GROUP F
AMON RHUD
ARMENELOS
HELM'S DEEP
TANIQUETIL (H)

No fair. Even if the other three teams can carry anakronistic oxygen tanks up Taniquetil, their playing will still be severely hampered. At least Amon Rudh is a bit accustomed to playing in heights, but still.
There's always controversy surrounding Taniquetil's matches, that's for sure. Opponents have all too often connected dubious refereing decisions favouring the world champions with MEFA president Eru Illuvatar's affilation to the team. Quite a few eyebrow's were raised after the draw as they once again get to play in front of their home support at altitude, where most opponents will struggle in the thin air. Angband team captain and multiple ME footballer of the year Melkor has even called for Eru to resign, no doubt with intent of replacing him himself.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:56 AM   #65
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
At last we know the real reason for Melkor's rebellion
Old 07-03-2008, 09:17 PM   #66
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Ooh, can I be the Head of the World Cup referees? Afterall, I think I am the most qualified and credible person for the job. Sorry to jump in and leave, but I can't miss my appointment with Mr. Donaghy.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:54 AM   #67
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Round 1 predictions:

• GROUP A, at Rivendell
    • Michel Delving > Rómena

Michel Delving's defence consists mostly of players on the brink of retirement, plus the erratic Lotho, but they do have the stolid Samwise Gamgee, star goalie, who gained much experience during the Orodruin Invitational (III). Their front line is the class of their (Eriador) league.

Rómena's backfield is not as solid as hoped for, but their scoring prowess remains top-notch. Although it is rumoured that Isildur, who faced problems during the Orodruin Invitational (II), will have a difficult time getting the ball past the faithful Gamgee.

It'll be a high-scoring game, with Michel Delving edging out a narrow victory.

• Fornost <<< Rivendell

Fornost fans will be rather quiet as Rivendell sweeps the floor with their team.

• GROUP B, at Edoras
    • Mirkwood < Tol-in-Gaurhoth

Mirkwood, a team struggling to keep itself together. Tol-in-Gaurhoth, one of the most favoured teams in this league. Surprisingly, it will be somewhat close.

• Breeland < Edoras

Edoras's excellent defending will counter Breeland's star striker Tom Bombadil. Éomer, Éowyn, and Eorl will be too much even for Old Man Willow.

• GROUP C, at Doriath
    • Alqualondë > Formenos

Will history repeat itself? I doubt it--with the inclusion of the Halflings into the roster the Swans will gain a respite from doom, and Ossë, Maia wonder, will rip through Formenos's formidable defence.

• Doriath >>> Isengard

Totally one-sided. 'nuff said.

• GROUP D, at Osgiliath
    • Nargothrond >>> Umbar

Total shutdown by the boys from the caves of Narog.

• Lothlórien > Osgiliath

Lothlórien 1 : 0 Osgiliath. Galadriel will be the first goalkeeper in Arda Cup history to score.

• GROUP E, at Gondolin
    • Erebor > Gondor

Two solid teams battle it out, but the Dwarves's stouter defence will hold.

• Gondolin > Túna

In the history of the Gondolin football club only Angband has managed to score a goal against them. I doubt that Túna's front line just has what it takes.

• GROUP F, at Taniquetil
    • Amon Rhûd < Armenelos

Ar-Pharazôn, justly renowned for being the only player to press Taniquetil's fabled defence to the breaking point, will break through Amon Rhûd's stalwart defence for a golden goal.

• Helm's Deep < Taniquetil

Helm's Deep, one of the most solid defensive team in Middle-earth. But not solid enough for the Valar.

• GROUP G, at Mordor
    • Hithlum >>> Moria

The spotlight in this game will be on Fingolfin and Túrin. The Orcs can go shudder and the Dwarves can go weep (and the Watcher can go grope some Halfling), but I doubt that'll be enough against these two hard-chargers.

• Minas Tirith < Mordor

Men vs Nazgûl. The Wraiths win.

• GROUP H, at Angband
    • Brethil <<< Valimar

Brethil just ain't fast enough to catch up with Tulkas and Eönwë's running game.

• Angband >>> Annúminas

The bad boys from the North are taking it all the way home.

Last edited by Nilpaurion Felagund; 07-04-2008 at 04:01 AM. Reason: word waffling
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #68
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Ah, so you're up for being the ref again, Boro? Lovely. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do it myself.

How about entering a fantasy team, Boro. Or are you worried that it would impact your officiating?
Old 07-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #69
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

All right, the tournament will probably begin tomorrow.

Once again, here is the first round schedule of matches.

GROUP A, at Rivendell
Michel Delving vs Romena
Fornost vs Rivendell

GROUP B, at Edoras
Mirkwood vs Tol-In-Gaurhoth
Breeland vs Edoras

GROUP C, at Doriath
Alqualonde vs Formenos
Doriath vs Isengard

GROUP D, at Osgiliath
Nargothrond vs Umbar
Lothlorien vs Osgiliath

GROUP E, at Gondolin
Erebor vs Gondor
Gondolin vs Tuna

GROUP F, at Taniquetil
Amon Rhud vs Armenelos
Helm's Deep vs Taniquetil

GROUP G, at Mordor
Hithlum vs Moria
Minas Tirith vs Mordor

GROUP H, at Angband
Brethil vs Valimar
Angband vs Annuminas
Old 07-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #70
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
I predict that the fact that Mordor playing at home will result in massive hooligan problems with drunken orcs running rampage, and opposition fans and players disappearing off to the House of Lamentations.
And what's the exact problem here? Isn't this a game testing the sides? If a side can't take it, it should pull out of the tournament...

And if we have Boro as the referee there will be no problems as his horn will disquiet any mob you can imagine.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:05 PM   #71
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

Quote:
And if we have Boro as the referee there will be no problems as his horn will disquiet any mob you can imagine. (Nogrod)
A horn enabling him to summon a van of security personnel unto him? Hooligans better watch out?
Old 07-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #72
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye results...

Results are in for the first four groups. Nog and I will be giving match reports soon.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:10 PM   #73
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

--GROUP A RESULTS--

Michel Delving 1-2 Romena
shots 14-8
on target 7-5
GOALS:
*Romena, 19 (Isildur- Tar Palantir)
*Romena, 41 (Tar Palantir- Elendil)
*Michel Delving, 78 (Bullroarer- Pippin)
YELLOW CARDS:
*Michel Delving- Gaffer, Pippin, Merry
*Romena- Vardamir
MATCH REPORT:
The stadium in Rivendell was split fairly evenly on this match. Hobbits have been hanging about Rivendell for quite a while and many of the Elves are quite fond of them. But as the boys from Romena were relatives of the Lord of Rivendell, they got quite a bit of support as well.

Michel Delving started quite aggressive, and tried pushing the ball forward with long passes. But Romena's defense got in the way time and time again. In the 19th minute Romena caught the hobbits running forward and stole the ball and pushed it back towards the MD goal with an advantage in numbers. Tar Palantir worked his way in close, made the goalie commit to him, and sent a perfect pass to Isildur who headed it in for the first goal.

Michel Delving began attacking more heavily than ever, but still couldn't get in close to their target. The MFs began sniping from distance, but none of the shots challenged the goalie too much. In the 41st minute Romena did yet another quick counter-attack, and this time it was Elendil finding Tar Palantir for the point blank header to take a 2-0 lead into halftime.

Michel Delving came out more methodically in the second half. Romena seemed content to let the hobbits hold the ball so long as they didn't come into the forward third of the field. When they did, the Romena defense was stifling and they sent the ball back to the hobbit's end again and again. As in the first half the hobbits began settling for long shots, none of which threatened the goal seriously.

The hobbits finally broke through in the 78th minute. Pippin took the ball on the sideline and split a couple of defenders and ran towards the goal. When a third defender came to meet him he actually threaded the ball beneath the legs of his defender to a running Bullroarer who deflected the pass into the far side of the goal.

With the lead down to one, Romena no longer allowed the hobbits to hold the ball indefinitely but opted to control the ball themselves and basically played keep-away until the game's ending. Neither team gained a high quality scoring opportunity the rest of the way and the game ended a 2-1 victory for the Numenoreans.

Fornost 0-2 Rivendell
shots 4-6
on target 1-4
GOALS:
*Rivendell, 34 (Glorfindel- Elladan)
*Rivendell, 62 (Boromir II- Aragorn)
YELLOW CARDS:
*Fornost- Arathorn, Amlaith
*Rivendell- Gildor
MATCH REPORT:
The Rivendell crowd was loud and energetic for the night showdown between the host team and Fornost- loud but not hostile. Relations between the Rangers and Rivendell have always been warm, and the players and fans alike were very sporting despite the intense competition.

Throughout the contest both teams showed fantastic passing in the midfield but had terrible trouble cracking the defense of the other team. Rivendell's defense in particular was brilliant, never allowing any Fornost player any amount of room in the forward part of the field.

The only defensive error the entire game occured in the 34th minute. After finally getting the ball up into one of the corners in Rivendell's half of the field, Fornost came forward in mass to try and capitalize on the rare opportunity. A pass towards the center was deflected and the speedy Glorfindel immediately broke upfield. Elladen, the first to reach the loose ball, saw him and booted it upfield without hesitation. Glorfindel controlled the pass and continued his run all the way to the goal and chipped it in after getting the goalie to bite on a fake.

The rest of the game neither team was able to gain a good look at the goal. Boromir II's long-distance blast into the top corner of the goal in the 62nd minute capped the scoring.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:11 PM   #74
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
The first games in Edoras eg. group B

The first game in the Arda 2008 championships in Edoras had quite a crowd gathered to the central field of Meduseld. The mostly Rohanian crowd welcomed the teams to the afternoon match with an encouraging cheer. The mood was positive but also that of suspense as the home-team would play in the evening match. But there were also the fanatical supporters of the both teams who were easy to spot. The TV-close ups showed Mac and Rikae waving the T-I-G –flag and Saucie holding the BD banderol. The supporters of Mirkwood were a little more quiet but made their presence known with a low hum they produced as the referee blowed his whistle to start the game.

To the surprise of all the TIG fans the Mirkwood team took the command in the game in the beginning. Mirkwood was ultra-aggressive totally immobilising the TIG game. Sending long passes to the forwards when they had a chance they clearly tried to beat TIG with their own weapons. Already at the eighth minute it payed off. Scatcha headed in a beautiful pass by Grishnak and Mirkwood took the lead.

After the goal it soon became clear that the TIG had the upper hand in the midfield and thence of the game. Mirkwood was still able to come up with great performances within the 16 meter line but they led to no further goals.

The TIG finally held its act together and produced some beautiful football – even if helped by the lady Fortune at times. At 20’ Formendacil took a corner that hit Nogrod fighting with Gorbag on the back and before Oropher had time to realise the ball was in.

Before the half-time the phantom made a genious long pass letting Sauron break free. Deservedly or not the TIG was leading 2-1 when the teams turned off to the break.

TIG’s tactics of leaving the defence alone and hoping they could win the ball to pass it to the midfield they dominated and thence to attack proved to be a bad idea in the first minutes of the second half of the game. With a show of individual skill Scatha, receiving a long pass and beating two defenders (Hookbill ad Gwath), brought the score even at 54 minutes of game played.

Contrary to the estimates the TIG went to a defensive mode after the equalizer. That clearly baffled the Mirkwood team. And finally on the 71st minute Eomer managed to surprise Oropher with a long shot going beautifully to the top corner of the net.

The fans were happy for a game of five goals. But both sides thought they should have performed better.

Mirkwood 2-3 Tol-In-Gaurhoth
shots 13-13
on target 6-6
Goals:
*Mirkwood, 8 (Scatha- Grishnakh)
*TIG, 20 (Nogrod- Formendacil)
*TIG, 39 (Sauron- the phantom)
*Mirkwood, 52 (Scatha- Grimbeorn)
*TIG, 71 (Eomer- Lhuna)

Yellow Cards:
Mirkwood- Galion, Gorbag, Grimbeorn
TIG- Gwath, Lhuna, Hookbill

~ ~ ~

But the game of the day was Breeland against Edoras. As the sun was setting the arena got truly filled. All the people able to come had turned in for the game. The house was full now and the cheers and songs filled the air. The home crowd would settle for nothing but a victory.

Edoras started rolling the ball towards Bree goal with enthusiasm bursted with the encouragement by the crowd. Eomer, Eowyn and Eorl all tried the Old man Willow on their turn and only his great saves held the game even in the first minutes of the game. But as soon as the 14th minute Eomer headed a pass by Eowyn in and Edoras was on the lead.

The crowd went crazy.

At 33’ minutes Brytta made a beautiful goal from a free-kick making it 2-0 getting his foot in the right angle following Theodred's free kick from 40 meters.

One couldn't hear oneself even if one shouted.

But before the halftime Breeland showed they could silence the crowd and that they were not beaten yet. The BW threaded a beautiful pass through defenders to Ferny who approached from the side and headed it in. It was 2-1 as The teams withdrew for the half-time.

On the second half the game was much more even but then – in the middle of Breeland laying the pressure Eorl and Eomer got a breakaway. – and Eorl scored making it 3-1. One can't describe the noise of the crowd...

But it was not over yet… The Breeland team went all in the rest of the game and finally Tom Bombadill’s great yellow boots blasted a goal from a good distance right off the sidebar.

The final whistle ended the game for the explosion of the home crowd who sang their songs late into the night and to the early morning.

Home team winning, what could be a better way to start a tournament?

Breeland 2-3 Edoras
shots 8-16
on target 4-8
Goals:
*Edoras, 14 (Eomer- Eowyn)
*Edoras, 33 (Brytta- Theodred)
*Breeland, 41 (Ferny- The Barrow-Wight)
*Edoras, 60 (Eorl- Eomer)
*Breeland, 79 (Tom Bombadil- Butterbur)

Yellow Cards:
Breeland- Nob, Harry, Odo
Edoras- Aldor, Frealaf

Last edited by Nogrod; 07-08-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:19 PM   #75
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Pipe

Ooh, Lhuna got a yellow card!
Old 07-08-2008, 08:24 PM   #76
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Yes, she did. I believe it was for intentionally distracting the opposing male players with her smile. They made her play the rest of the game with a mask on.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #77
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
Yes, she did. I believe it was for intentionally distracting the opposing male players with her smile. They made her play the rest of the game with a mask on.
The Helm of Hador, perchance? Or did a simple hockey mask suffice?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #78
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpaurion Felagund View Post
Ooh, Lhuna got a yellow card!
But does that have any consequences?

I think in the last tournament it meant something like -1/-2 for any player having the yellow card taker in her/his team...

But as you wish, as I think this is no major issue...
Old 07-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #79
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

--GROUP C RESULTS--

Alqualonde 0-2 Formenos
shots 4-10
on target 3-6
GOALS:
*Formenos, 32 (Maedhros- Aredhel)
*Formenos, 66 (Feanor- Maglor)
YELLOW CARDS:
*Alqualonde- Lindo, Cirdan, Frodo, Osse
*Formenos- Amrod
MATCH REPORT:
The buildup to the first game in the forest of Doriath was considerable. Posters displaying the teams' stars were everywhere, dubbing the matchup "Kinslaying II". As can be imagined the fans did not get along well, and insults and taunts were hurled back and forth.

"We'll have our revenge, you'll see!"
"Oh really? I heard instead of practicing you spent all your time designing your shoes!"
"Only some of it! We'll play better AND look better!"
"I've sure you've got some great strategies. After all, you are the ones who brought little bows and no armor to a sword fight!"
"Ah, but you won't be allowed your precious swords this time. We'll see who is the best without props!"

There would have been a great deal of fighting before and during the game, but Thingol had his full force of armed guards patrolling inside and outside the stadium, checking for weapons, and arresting those who got out of hand.

But despite all of the buildup the game ended up being rather one sided. Formenos completely controlled possession and spent a good deal of time passing around in the forward part of the field, looking for opportunities to score. At the 32 minute mark they capitalized as Aredhel beat her defender and gained a clear lane to pass to cousin Maedhros who had broke in front of the goal.

Alqualonde's only quality chance came just seconds before halftime when Caranthir, who was shadowing Gil Galad, hit a slippery patch of grass and went down. Bilbo sent a perfect pass to Gil who headed the ball back the other way towards the far post. But Huan went full stretch and poked the ball away with his fingertips.

The second half was yet more ball control from Formenos, with Feanor blasting a kick from the side that bent around the goalie and into the far side of the goal in the 66th minute. Play got a bit rough after that, with the frustrated Alqualonde players drawing three yellow cards in a very short span. Formenos did not respond in kind though, content with their lead and the points it would gain them for advancing out of group play.

Doriath 2-1 Isengard
shots 10-14
on target 5-7
GOALS:
*Isengard, 26 (Ugluk- Saruman)
*Doriath, 47 (Beleg- Dior)
*Doriath, 63 (Mablung- Elwe)
YELLOW CARDS:
*Doriath- Saeros, Nellas
*Isengard- Snaga, Lugdush, Quickbeam, Mauhur
MATCH REPORT:
The home bias was quite pronounced in this game. Though the elves are fans of ents, they simply cannot abide orcs, and were certainly not fond of Saruman.

But despite this Isengard was able to work the ball up the field throughout most of the game. At the 26 minute mark they took the lead as Saruman lobbed the ball into Ugluk who controlled it, spun around his defender and kicked it neatly inside the sidebar to open scoring. But unfortunately for Isengard, the goalie was Melian. She was outstanding, making two or three saves that most goalies would not have been able to handle. And so it was that Isengard found themselves up only one goal at the half.

Offensively during the first half, Doriath had a difficult time getting the ball through the midfield, though the few times they got it forward the attack showed promise, and it seemed obvious that given enough opportunities they would get on the board.

An opportunity came early on in the second half with crowd favorite Beleg taking a pass, juking his man, and powering the ball off the hands of the goalie and into the net. And then a bit later the solid Mablung kicked a pass straight out of midair past the Isengard goalie.

The crowd celebrated the win with feasting, but Thingol and his Doriath team headed straight home to rest up for practice the next day, which Thingol said they needed badly. "If my wife hadn't been amazing in goal we would've lost that game!" he told reporters. "We really need to up our level of play if we hope to challenge for the cup."
Old 07-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #80
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Pipe Ooh!

Group D is up next!

All right, Finduilas, Guilin, emya Amarië? Minë, atta, neldë:

NAR-GO-THROND! NAR-GO-THROND!