The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-08-2006, 02:45 PM   #1
Legolas in spandex
Wight

Legolas in spandex has just left Hobbiton.
1420! Glorfindel

I am incredibly dissapointed that they just entirely removed Glorfindel in the movies. It was his horse, not Arwen's, and what happned to the cute little dinky bell?
Old 04-09-2006, 06:52 AM   #2
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I'm moving this question to the Movies forum, since it is about Jackson's film version of LotR. Please check out the numerous other threads on this topic there to see what opinion others have posted.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:00 PM   #3
Sir Kohran
Wight

Sir Kohran has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Personally, I can't see Glorfindel working at all well in a movie like this.

Firstly, the idea of giving his role to Arwen isn't as bad as everyone says it is. The idea is still the same in the book - an Elf comes from Rivendell to help Frodo and his companions. Then the Elf takes Frodo to the Fords of Bruinen, where Frodo passes out as the Black Riders are swept away.

And it's a good way to introduce Arwen as a character - simply having her appear in Rivendell and have her in the same place for the next three films simply thinking of Aragorn would be rather boring. The scene gives her a bit of importance, too - she's not just a princess in the tower waiting for her prince to come; she can hold her own too.

Also, as a character Glorfindel's fairly redundant - he's just another male Elf warrior. In the films, we've already got Legolas, to a lesser extent, Haldir, and Elrond and Gil Galad in the prologue to show us how well male Elves can fight. Adding in yet another golden-haired Elf with a blade and a tendency to lay waste to the enemy would seem rather pointless - especially considering that he only appears in the first movie.

Now, I DO think it could have been done better. Did we have to have Arwen taking all of the glory? Gone are Frodo's words of defiance and Aragorn and the Hobbit's attack on the Wraiths from behind, driving them into the river. Instead Arwen does everything in the final confrontation, which doesn't seem right - these creatures have been built up throughout the last hour, and then they're defeated in a few seconds by a single character. I think Jackson could have handled this scene a lot better.

However, I don't mind this change overall - I think it was a hard choice for Jackson either way, and he did well enough under the circumstances.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:21 PM   #4
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

I agree with everything Sir Korhan says, well said. To add a few things...

Beside just introducing Arwen it sets up the whole love story background between the two. Which is important for the movies. Tolkien gives us a lot of the background in the Appendices (which Jackson ended up using a lot of it for his "love story") However, it's important to set up the background between the two early in the movie. Because for the most part in TTT and ROTK Aragorn is around Eowyn and Eowyn is trying to cozy up to him. Then when Arwen shows up at the end to marry Aragorn it may leave the audience going "who's this elf chick, why is she important, hasn't Aragorn been with this Rohan chick the whole time?" So, I think it's important to establish Arwen as an important character in the first movie, as it sets up the love story between the two, and people aren't caught so off guard at the end as to why Aragorn married Arwen.

I don't like the portrayal of XenaArwen in this scene, I think they should have left it as it was and have Elrond command the river and Gandalf add the white horse effect...but I am not bothered by the change of taking out Glorfindel and putting in Arwen who we will be seeing later on in the film, where Glorfindel more or less makes a one time appearance.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:13 AM   #5
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rhod the Red is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Yes, I wish they had Glorifindel. And Gildor!
Rhod the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:51 PM   #6
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I'm happier that PJ just cut Glorfindel altogether, rather than giving him a pity part like poor Beregond. Three seconds of screentime?

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:01 PM   #7
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Beanamir, actually I think that picture the website shows is not Beregond. That guy is creditted as Irolas (they switched around the "o" and "r" for some reason). I'm pretty sure that's him, if he's the brown-noser and suck up to Denethor and the one that says
"It is as the Lord Denethor predicted. Long has he forseen this doom."
As well as other suck up Denethor lines. If that's him, then he's creditted as Irolas.

Edit:

Doing a google image search I could not find a movie photo of Beregond, but by searching for Irolas, this picture shows up:

Last edited by Boromir88; 05-09-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
Beanamir of Gondor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beanamir of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Well, that works, too. I googled it after reading your post, and came up with this. Granted, Imrahil wasn't all that crucial to the plot of Movie!LotR either, but still....

Either way.... they've all gone the way of poor Glorfindel.

"I only lent you my body; you lent me your dream."
Beanamir of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:23 PM   #9
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Glorfindel's part was one of my favourite scenes in The Fellowship of the Ring, my favourite volume of the story.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:22 AM   #10
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I don't think its as simple as merely substituting one Elf for another. Only Glorfindel could do that particular job - driving back the Nazgul. I posted this on an earlier thread. The last paragraph is the part that deals with Glorfindel.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:35 PM   #11
Letty
Animated Skeleton

Letty has just left Hobbiton.
--

And why did Haldir have to die so absurdly?
And if PJ had included Arwen in the fellowshp,the twisting of the book would have been totally complete.

Last edited by Letty; 05-26-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Letty is offline   Reply With Quote