The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-29-2006, 08:23 AM   #1
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Your ideal LotR cast

If it was up to you, who would you give the main roles in a LotR movie?

- Please tell also why.
- If you nominate a relatively unknown actor, it'd be nice if you linked a picture of him/her. (Not a bad idea about renown actors either.)
- "PJ's movie had the ideal cast" etc. doesn't contribute much to the discussion. The idea is not to speculate how good was the movie's cast - that has been discussed elsewhere.
- Anyway, if you want to nominate an actor who plays a/the role in PJ's LotR-films, feel free to do so.

Let the speculation begin!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:10 AM   #2
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Johnny Depp would have made a good 'senior elf' - Elrond perhaps? Added dimension to the character, certainly...

The ones I would really like to recast are Frodo and Merry.

Merry should be a posh, sensible and clean-cut actor. Nationality not important.
Frodo, a thirtysomething intellectual English actor.
If I have any more specific ideas I'll get back to you, Lommy....
Old 03-29-2006, 11:24 AM   #3
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Leaf

Recasting Frodo and Merry: couldn't agree more.

THe names that pop up for me are Mel Gibson (as Frodo) and Kenneth Branagh (as Merry.) Or you could flip the two.

Why choose them: maturity, depth, gravitas. Humor beyond mere silliness. They've both tackled Hamlet (haven't you ever imagined Frodo pacing, ring in hand, debating to be or not to be...?) I also really enjoyed Branagh's Henry V.

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-29-2006 at 11:30 AM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:32 AM   #4
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Are you sure you don't want Mel Gibson doing the
movie Strider speech in ROTK.
He could say something like:
Quote:
They can take our lives but they'll never take our FREEDOM!
(And would that mean the good guys would all be painted
(unhistorically) blue?

And while it may seem a bit off the wall, how about
Michael Caine as Saruman? And Catherine Zeta-Jones
as Galadriel (cute, but tough).
Old 03-29-2006, 11:35 AM   #5
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin
Are you sure you don't want Mel Gibson doing the
movie Strider speech in ROTK.
Yes.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Aragorn defenitely needed re-casting, but for my lack of movie actor knowledge, I haven't yet found a replacement. However, I will put more thought into it and come back later and say. Actually, off the top of my head, Sean Bean would have been great as Aragorn, but the problem is - he was excellent as Boromir. So keep Boromir the same. Give me time to think of an Aragorn.

I liked Merry, actually. . .but Frodo needed changing. Kenneth Branagh is an awesome actor, and he wouldn't have been a bad Frodo. . .that seems like a good idea, Helen!

I'll be back later to edit the post (or add one, maybe) with who I think should have done Aragorn.

-- Folwren
Old 03-29-2006, 11:47 AM   #7
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
Johnny Depp would have made a good 'senior elf' - Elrond perhaps? Added dimension to the character, certainly...
Johnny could play them all without breaking into a sweat. (shades of The Holy Grail!)
Old 03-29-2006, 12:01 PM   #8
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Sean Bean would have been great as Aragorn, but the problem is - he was excellent as Boromir.
He was. There it is.

In the same vein-- Christopher Lee was excellent as Saruman, but I would have preferred him as Gandalf. Gravitas again.

Are we recasting as Book characters? Or just redoing movie characters? If we are trying to find a book-Aragorn, that'll take some thought.

I wonder... Richard Dean Anderson (Stargate) is rattling around the edges of my mind, but I'm not sure who to cast him as.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:41 PM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry
Johnny could play them all without breaking into a sweat. (shades of The Holy Grail!)

I now have a wondrous vision of Johnny Depp (in the style of Captain Jack ) playing Boromir and explaining taking the ring from Frodo - it may be indelible..

But are we limited to actors who are alive now and are of approprate age? Or may I restore the dead to life and give youth to the withered?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:47 PM   #10
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

I rather liked Viggo as Aragorn.
It's really hard for me to pick another cast because the actors are engraved so much in my mind. I will admit that I didn't really enjoy how Merry was portrayed... and Frodo got kinda whiney. I don't know who I'd put in their places, though. I'd really have to hold my own, personal, audition :-) Johnny Depp is welcome to attend if he wants (though, I don't think I'd cast him... he's fabulous, don't get me wrong, but I can't see him in any of the roles).
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 04:01 PM   #11
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
Are we recasting as Book characters? Or just redoing movie characters? If we are trying to find a book-Aragorn, that'll take some thought.
In my mind, I'm recasting Book characters. The movie Aragorn was. . .lacking. If only because of the casting of him.

Okay, I've got a fellow. And I have thought of him more than once, and don't understand how I could forget when I first posted here. Liam Neesen, the chap who played in Star Wars I. He play Qui Gon rather well, and I think that that character is very much like Aragorns - laid back, quiet, calm, but noble and wise. I would get you a picture, but I can't find a decent one of him out of costume, and I've a vague feeling that most people know who I'm talking about.

And, Tigerlilly, lots of people liked Viggo as Aragorn. Loved him as it. But I don't think that he filled the part properly. He wasn't kingly. But, of course, that's only my (and my family's) opinion. You may disagree, and many people will, and I can't change the fact that he did Aragorn's part.

-- Folwren
Old 03-29-2006, 04:20 PM   #12
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Hmmm...Branagh and Gibson are a bit too old for (human years) thirtysomething hobbits.
What about David Tennant for Merry?

Folwren - we're thinking along the same lines, I thought Sean Bean would have been quite a good Aragorn and I thought of Liam Neeson as well. But then I thought, Bean wasn't quite noble enough, Neeson not quite intellectual enough. It's a sod of a part to cast....
Old 03-29-2006, 08:03 PM   #13
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Showing my age I suppose...

I was thinking a younger Harrison Ford would be a good Faramir, if he was an unknown. Sounds really bizarre, but think about it.

Also Jeremy Irons as Grima would be closer the image of him in my head.

Ian McKellen would have made a wonderful Denethor.

And for some reason I keep seeing Michael Palin as Bilbo!

EDIT: One more. Kathleen Beller as Arwen.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 03-29-2006 at 08:13 PM.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:42 AM   #14
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Oh, I've got a good idea for Aragorn. Richard Armitage who played Mr Thornton in the BBC's North and South.

Ladies of the Downs, if any of you saw the production you will *know* what I'm talking about...

Last edited by Lalaith; 03-30-2006 at 04:47 AM.
Lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:06 AM   #15
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde Bracegirdle
I was thinking a younger Harrison Ford would be a good Faramir, if he was an unknown. Sounds really bizarre, but think about it.
The more I think about this the more I like it. Lots of the right stuff is there.

And I think (also) that Richard Dean Anderson would have been a good Book Boromir-- caustic, cocky, crusty, and believably warlike, but once you penetrate the exterior, vulnerable and loyal to a fault. (The problem with all this is that I liked Movie Boromir even better than I liked Book Boromir. So i still prefer Sean Bean for that part.)

Quote:
Ian McKellen would have made a wonderful Denethor.

Very interesting thought.

Quote:
Kathleen Beller as Arwen.
Interesting. What work of hers brought her to mind?
Old 03-30-2006, 07:56 AM   #16
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'd keep Sean Bean as Boromir and Ian McKellen as Gandalf. They were great.

Christopher Lee was a good Saruman, but I don't think he would have been able to do the slippery-Saruman parts. So I think we should maybe take another actor. *sigh* I don't, however, have any better ideas.

I would give Gina McKee Arwen's role. She looks arwenish and somehow there was something arwenish in her in Notting Hill.

I'd have Kevin Costner as Ugluk and Viggo Mortensen as Grisnakh.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:04 AM   #17
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
I now have a wondrous vision of Johnny Depp (in the style of Captain Jack ) playing Boromir and explaining taking the ring from Frodo - it may be indelible..

But are we limited to actors who are alive now and are of approprate age? Or may I restore the dead to life and give youth to the withered?
Well, since the thread title is "ideal LotR cast", to me that implies we are discussing abstractions and hypotheticals rather than actuals, so I don't see why we cannot resurrect the dead and turn back the inexorable hands of time. We are playing author, after all, of a world of words. (Well, that's my take on discussion fora.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily Gamgee
It's really hard for me to pick another cast because the actors are engraved so much in my mind. I will admit that I didn't really enjoy how Merry was portrayed... and Frodo got kinda whiney. I don't know who I'd put in their places, though. I'd really have to hold my own, personal, audition :-) Johnny Depp is welcome to attend if he wants (though, I don't think I'd cast him
Well, as I said above, I think we can think of hypotheticals. Maybe we should identify what kind of vision we would have if we refilmed the movies? That might provide a framework in which to consider "applications." For instance, would this new "interpretation" include the kind of swashbuckling adventure aspects which PJ inherited from Lucas? Or would it be more drama-based? Would we move towards a David Lean kind of cinematic vision? (*insert name of other director here*). I mean, if I had thought of Zhang Yimou as director I might not have so impudently or blithely suggested Depp could take all roles.

But think of him in Neverland too, not just his pirate roles. The actor has mellowed as he has aged. Maybe a different role/character for each stage of his acting career?

Not that I would exclude others mind. Peter O'Toole? Alan Bates? Oliver Reed? Malcolm McDowall? Hmm. I must go back to imagine my directorial intent before choosing a cast.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:12 AM   #18
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
That all depends on what mood you want if you want it lighter

butterbur would definetely by Rowan Atkinson

but if we're going for a darker stronger mood

Frodo I would say should be... well anyone is a better actor than Elijah

other than that i actually thought they did a good job

Orlando is definetely a fine actor i just wish LOTR wasnt the first thing he had tackled because yyou can see in his newer movies he actually is quite good
Old 03-30-2006, 11:50 AM   #19
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Helen, I based my casting of Kathleen Beller as Arwen, on a movie from the late 70's or perhaps early 80's. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of it, but she had a lovely otherworldliness about her. She may be cut a bit too delicately for Arwen, who to me should possess something more of a subdued regal appearance. Anyway, I have since heard she acted in Dynasty, but never did watch it.

John Hurt is another one who would have made a good Grima.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:25 AM   #20
Letty
Animated Skeleton

Letty has just left Hobbiton.
---

Definitely recast Elrond,Legolas and Arwen.
Julia Roberts would have made a great Arwen,don`t you think?
I don`t know about Legolas-maybe Brad Pitt?
As for Elrond-anyone but Agent Smith!!!
Letty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 12:19 PM   #21
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked the way the Peter Jackson and the others did the casting. After seeing the movies so many times over I can't imagine any other actors portraying these characters.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:08 PM   #22
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
I don't really watch films (exept Soviet Union films , but I didn't like Elijah as Frodo (just seems wrong), Viggo as Aragorn ("not all is gold that shines", Aragorn sure shined too much, I don't think he should have been more kingly, but wilder, he was never king so why should he act like one) and Hugo as Elrond (just didn't seem a wise looking guy, more like someone from Teräsbetoni (Finnish band)...
Old 08-09-2006, 03:17 AM   #23
SarumanCymraeg
Pile O'Bones

SarumanCymraeg has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArathorofBarahir
I liked the way the Peter Jackson and the others did the casting. After seeing the movies so many times over I can't imagine any other actors portraying these characters.
I agree, and I think that some characters, such as Gandalf, Saruman, Theoden and Samwise were superbly casted. The impression I get here is that most people are complaining about the actors themselves because they don't like them rather than the actual acting and casting.

Frodo was a bit too young, perhaps, but overall Elijah Wood a good job. Anyway, 50something is quite young for a hobbit, is it not?

After reading the books many times the only 'change' I'd like would probably be Merry, who I'd imagine to be more 'different', somehow, from the other hobbits, being from Buckland and all.
Also, I thought the Elves were a bit too 'plasticy'. I've always thought of Elves as having an 'Elvish' accent when speaking in the Common Tongue, but I might be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letty
Julia Roberts would have made a great Arwen,don`t you think?
I don`t know about Legolas-maybe Brad Pitt?
Please tell me you're joking!

Last edited by SarumanCymraeg; 08-09-2006 at 03:21 AM.
SarumanCymraeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:20 AM   #24
SarumanCymraeg
Pile O'Bones

SarumanCymraeg has just left Hobbiton.
Oh yes as well Andy Serkis as Smeagol (not Gollum). Although I thought it was fine him playing the part for some reason I didn't like the idea that his voice was exactly the same one's as Gollum's. Anyone else agree?
Old 08-09-2006, 07:10 AM   #25
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Emily Ovenden of Mediaeval Baebes as Arwen, and the loathsome Gibson as any number of orcs.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:27 AM   #26
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
I pretty much liked all the actors in the film except for Arwen and Elrond.

I find Milla Jovovich would have made an amazing Arwen.

This might sound rediculous to you, but I think a younger David Bowie (without the different coloured eyes) would have made a great Elrond, the Elrond in the film, to me, didn't look like an elf.

Though I would have liked Johnny Depp as Elrond, that would have been great.

Otherwise I think all the other actors were great.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:02 PM   #27
Trotter
Pile O'Bones

Trotter has just left Hobbiton.
Here's a few of my picks,

Dominic Monaghan- Frodo Baggins (Tolkien's Frodo, not PJ's)

Patrick Stewart- Gandalf (Again, Tolkien's, not PJ's)

Liam Neeson- Aragorn (Book)

Johnny Depp- Legolas (With black hair please)

Monica Bellucci - Arwen