The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-10-2002, 05:55 PM   #1
Durialion
Animated Skeleton

Durialion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Durialion Send a message via AIM to Durialion
Sting Who is your favorite character

I have a tie in between Legolas and Aragorn. They both are great warriors and all. I like them both. So shine a little light on me on you favorite characters. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Durialion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 05:57 PM   #2
Ravenna
Haunting Spirit

Ravenna has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For me it's always been Aragorn.
Ravenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 06:00 PM   #3
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Again, I think it has to be Aragorn. He was just a really well developed character and did so much eg looking into the Palantir, walking the paths of the dead.

2nd would have to be Eowyn, but she didn't have as big a part, and then comes Merry or Pippin.
Old 08-10-2002, 06:12 PM   #4
Road Dog22
Pile O'Bones

Road Dog22 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Road Dog22 Send a message via AIM to Road Dog22
Sting

gilmi and i like pippen in the movie but i don't really like him in the book
Road Dog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 06:59 PM   #5
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I really don't have a ONE favorite. I have a tie between Frodo, Sam, and Pippin. I can't choose. They are all so cool.

[ August 12, 2002: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 07:17 PM   #6
Durialion
Animated Skeleton

Durialion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Durialion Send a message via AIM to Durialion
Boots

Out of the Hobbits I like Sam the best. He is so cool. I really like him. Exspecially in the 3rd and 2nd book. That is my opinion. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Durialion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 07:48 PM   #7
Aroaraniel
Wight

Aroaraniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aroaraniel
Thumbs up

Hmmm...there's a tie between Frodo, Merry, Pippin, and Aragorn. They are all very cool in their own ways! Frodo is ... just Frodo ... Merry helps kill the Witch-King which I think is very cool, Pippin is funny, and Aragorn...well, ditto on what you all said about him!
Aroaraniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 07:49 PM   #8
Aroaraniel
Wight

Aroaraniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aroaraniel
Question

Oh and Eruwen, where do you get those cool picture thingys of Frodo and Sam? They are very cool!!!
Aroaraniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 08:07 PM   #9
Legolas Lover

Question

Hmm...If I had to pic between AROGRON OR LEGOLAS it would HAVE TO BE LEGOLAS all the way.He is swift strong and fast.He can really get the ladys to [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] well that is about it.

Love Ya guys [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2002, 02:30 PM   #10
Eratariel

Sting

i LOVE LEGOLAS ! Я люблю тебя Леголас ,Ты моя Жизнь, мой Свет, моя Радость !
i think u know what these writings are about...of couse about my Дорогом Legolas !
I LOVE YOU LEGOLAS! Я ЛЮБЛЮ ТЕБЯ ЛЕГОЛАС!
Old 08-11-2002, 05:12 PM   #11
Arwen Undómiel
Pile O'Bones

Arwen Undómiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn! Aragorn !Aragorn ! I just love him.
What`s why i am Arwen. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2002, 12:08 AM   #12
Ms. Took
Haunting Spirit

Ms. Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ms. Took
Sting

PIPPIN!!!!! PIPPIN! PIPPIN! PIPPIN! Pippin is definatly my favorie character
Ms. Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 07:58 PM   #13
Boromir's Lady
Pile O'Bones

Boromir's Lady has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That is a hard one for me to choose. I really like Frodo, Gandalf, Legolas, Aragorn - and I just adore Boromir. Boromir seemed to strike me as an 'Anti-hero' sort of. Lusting for the ring's power in order to help his people, not realizing it's true evil till it was too late, and in his final hours trying to make amends for his actions.

I am reading The Two Towers right (about halfway through) now so I am not familiar with the other characters yet.
~*Have you seen it, Aragorn? The white tower of Ecthelion glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, its banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?*~
Boromir's Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 08:02 PM   #14
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

hmmmm i really really like them all, but I would have to say its a tie between Aragorn and Eowyn. Aragorn is totally cool for like, going on this quest and doing it without getting corrupted and he is truly in love and he is an awesome guy trying to relieve himself of his ancestors mistakes...and eowyn, she was totally right when she argued with aragorn about how guys are. They thought that women stay home, cook..blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. NO!!! They can do anything guys can do!!!Hahaha brain freeze *holds her head and nearly drops chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream (my favorite* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2002, 07:19 PM   #15
Lothlória

Silmaril

One of the most brilliant things of the LOTR is that every charakter (except the orks and the other evil folks) is described in such an affectionate style that you actionally have to like them all. Tolkien laid so much privacy (sorry, don't know if this is the fitting word) into his description that the charakters can be perfectly imagined.
But of course many people have their favourite figures in the books. Though I like a lot of them, too, I would say my favourites are Treebeard and Tom Bombadil. They are so powerful in their very own way, as well as they are full oh honour and make theirselves be treated very respectfully.
And imagine what an important person Tom Bombadil seems to be in Tolkien`s universe, though he appeares only for a short moment in the trilogy of the ringwar. Sorry for this long speech [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
By the way, does anyone of you know Bob Ross?? [img]null[/img]
Old 08-17-2002, 10:12 PM   #16
Anardil
Animated Skeleton

Anardil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I found Gollum to be one of the most intriguing character in LotR. More than any other, he personifies the clash between the two forces which affect each of the main characters to some degree: the desire for power, opposed by the desire for freedom. Over five centuries, the Ring has corrupted and ruined Gollum both physically and morally, and he has become a treacherous, murderous creature. He is so obsessed by the Ring that he is willing to stalk, kill and betray for it. However, it seems that deep down, he has conserved some of his hobbit nature, and longs to be free of the Ring and its influence.
Anardil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 08:27 AM   #17
Wraith
Pile O'Bones

Wraith has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Wraith
Sting

FARAMIR!!!!! YAY!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] i love him!!
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 11:00 AM   #18
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Fingolfin, Thingol, the wizards, Turgon, Glorfindel, Legolas
Old 08-18-2002, 11:05 AM   #19
Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thengise Greenleaf of Mirkwood
Eye

LEGOLAS! He's the best! I love him!
Old 08-18-2002, 11:26 AM   #20
Lucretia

Sting

I think Aragorn is amazing, he is definitely my favorite character. After that I like Merry and Pippin, and then Legolas..
Old 08-19-2002, 12:27 AM   #21
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

This is really hard! In LotR, my favorites would have to be...(even though I love them all):

Aragorn
Pippin
Legolas
Faramir
Sam
Boromir
Eomer
Eowyn
Galadriel (in the other books as well)

And I don't think that's in any order. But in The Silmarillion:

Feanor
Finrod
Turin
Luthien
and some of the Valar

I know I forget someone though!!
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 03:05 AM   #22
Artilien
Pile O'Bones

Artilien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Artilien
My favourite character is Gimli. in the movie and in teh book (don't ask me why). he's just sooooo cool [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2002, 02:45 PM   #23
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Denethor *giggles*

Last edited by Meela; 09-12-2004 at 05:13 PM.
Meela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 04:37 PM   #24
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I gotta say that that's such a toughie. Ask me when I was five I'd say Gollum all way!! (I was obsessed with evil then. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] ) I still liked Gollum and gave him sympathy until the end of The Two Towers. After that I was all 'Die Gollum die! Go into the depth of Mount Doom!'. He made me so mad. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Anyway, now my favorites are Legolas, Faramir, Pippen, Sam. Though they aren't Jumper or The Zombie Master. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2002, 05:48 PM   #25
kaleidoscope
Pile O'Bones

kaleidoscope has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like just about all of the characters, but my favorites are (not necessarily in this order)
Círdan, Aragorn, Legolas, and Galadriel
Old 11-24-2002, 12:25 AM   #26
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

have to say Gimli-dwarves rock-or rather they shape and move rock. really good fighters as well. the hobbits-pick one-are also on the list.
Old 11-24-2002, 04:09 AM   #27
Venyamehtar

Sting

Gandalf.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:19 PM   #28
Tyler
Animated Skeleton

Tyler has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Sting

Well i havent seen to many people talk about Theoden. He is one of my all time favorits. At first is was Gimli and Legloas. I still realy like both but it is now a tie and between THeoden and and Legloas. COme on Theoden was so corupted then was galavinized back into action. YOu have to like him for that. Not to mention he is also a pretty good fighter. Legolas is cool due to the fact that he just is. Tolkien gives such great dexcriptions about him. Finally i still like Gimli because he is a crazy dawrf who can smoke some people.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:55 PM   #29
Dimhuanion
Pile O'Bones

Dimhuanion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf Greyhaym
Gandalf has to be the coolest charachter in the book, the way he has no care about him self in the Mines of Moria is just one of many things that makes me admire him soo much.

He also is the only person who really takes notice of the Hobbits and the way he doesn't brush anyone a side because of appearance and tradition is a very drawing factor.

Aside form gandalf Tombombadil has to be up there too!
Old 11-24-2002, 02:20 PM   #30
Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood
Animated Skeleton

Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood Send a message via AIM to Aengthrea Greenleaf Of Mirkwood
Sting

Legolas all the way! And then Aragorn. Something I like about Legolas is that he puts everybody first instead of him. Sounds someone like me! haha im just kidding. He cares for his new found friends. And for Aragorn hes a good hardy fighter, tough at the same time. Like that time when Gandalf "fell" in Moria and "died". He cared about Gandalf a lot bt didnt show any emotions at all .
Old 11-24-2002, 03:04 PM   #31
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As you might guess from my avatar, Sam is my favorite by far. His loyalty, dedication, faithfulness, courage, simplicity, and purity of heart just blew me away. Several people I know don't like Sam (the heathens haven't even read the books, how would they know anything??), but I can't imagine why not. He's the perfect character for me. Of course, I'm kind of a Hobbit girl...Pippin is next in line for me. But past those two, it's really hard--they're all so wonderful, don't make me choose! Ai. I love 'em all. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

~*~Orual~*~
Old 11-25-2002, 12:12 AM   #32
Túroch
Wight

Túroch has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

What!....no ones mentioned my fav. Oh you can probably guess who it is from my avatar. Eomer is the MAN. I really hope they show him and Aragorn kick some orc hinder at Helms Deep in the movie. He ism't amain character persay, but he is just so gosh darn interseting.

[ November 25, 2002: Message edited by: Túroch ]
For the valour of the Edain the Elves shall ever remember as the ages lengthen, marvelling that they gave life so freely of which thay had on earth so little. But it is not for thy valour only that I send thee, but to bring into the world a hope beyond thy sight, and a light that shall pierce the darkness." Ulmo - Lord of waters
Túroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 01:03 AM   #33
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Only one person said Faramir as their number 1 favorite!! I can't believe my eyes!

He is my favorite character. I love his character, he has a love for all things beautiful. He is eloquent in speech and learned of lore.

I love reading "Window on the West" as it shows most deeply the character of Faramir.
Quote:
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, the arrow for its swiftness, no the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
And how could I forget Éomer! I love him more since I found out that Karl Urban is portraying him [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].

His character has a hunger for battle, a love for his land.

[ November 25, 2002: Message edited by: Joy ]

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 11:16 AM   #34
Laialthriel
Animated Skeleton

Laialthriel has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I agree with the people who said it was impossible to choose between characters. They all add so much to the story that it wouldn't be the same without any one of them.

Gandalf is so well depicted in the trilogy. He cares about everything, is so self-less (remember Moria), can be extremely gruff when trying to get across a point, yet has a great sense of humor.

Then there's Legolas. He's an elf, need I say more? Probably not, but I will anyway. He is amazing. Compassionate, determined, beautiful, and so good with that bow! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

And I don't think anyone mentioned the one who deserves so much recognition:
Frodo.
He took on so much. He is so very brave, rushing headlong into something he knew practically nothing about, and sticking with it until the very end. He decided to forgo his own life and give all for the Quest.

I could go on, but I won't. I am partial to several characters; Gandalf, Legolas, Aragorn, Frodo, Sam...but they are all so amazing the list just keeps going on. But I'll stop talking now. God bless!
"Let us run with patience the race that is set before us." --Phil 3:14
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." --Gandalf the Gray
Laialthriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 12:10 PM   #35
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Samwise Gamgee

He's my hero and the embodiment of all that's good in a person. He's selfless, couragous, stubborn, and witty. He can garden and cook. I just can't help but love him. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2002, 02:07 PM   #36
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Well it's legolas for me all the way.
1.He is an elf
2.He fights with high speed and agilety
3.The knife backhand orckilling sweep-scene
4.Poiny ears
5.He walks on the snow
6.He has beautifull hair
7.His hairstyle is beautifull(i'm copying it)
8.He recycles(his arrows)
9.He has a killer aim
10.He is the son of Thrandhuil
11.The arrow in orc's forhead-scene
And I could still go on for hours.
________
Chrysler Turbine Engines

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 03:18 PM   #37
Krumtakh the Obtuse
Pile O'Bones

Krumtakh the Obtuse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have a lot of different favorite characters, But my favorites would have to be:
1)Legolas
2)Aragorn
3)Gollum (I always felt kind of bad for him for some reason.)
4)Gandalf
5)Bilbo!
6)Maeglin (I don't know why)
Krumtakh the Obtuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 12:05 PM   #38
the witch king
Wight

the witch king has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

im a big fan of bad guys so hears my top 5
1)Glaurung
2)Witch King
3)Gothmog
4)Ar-Pharazon
5)Feanor(more stuck up then bad i gess)
Old 11-29-2002, 08:05 PM   #39
Demloth of Dol Amroth
Wight

Demloth of Dol Amroth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

our of curiosity, witch king, is it gothmog the nazgul or gothmog the balrog?
Old 12-01-2002, 02:57 PM   #40
Lily Ahern
Pile O'Bones

Lily Ahern has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I tink that Leoglas rocks but I also love aragorn, merry, pipin, arwen, and gandalf galadriel, Elrond, and Frodo
i'M JUST SOOOOOOO CONFUSED !!!!!!!!!!!!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]http://[/img] [QUOTE]