The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quotable Quotes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2003, 08:19 AM   #401
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

First and Second Voices about Niggle's progress to the second stage of his treatment

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 01:21 PM   #402
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

'Twas the First Voice, speaking to the Second Voice, so you have it, Heren! Your turn...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 06:38 AM   #403
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

next one, than [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
What was the message?

Old 11-30-2003, 08:29 AM   #404
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

It was "The time has come. Let him choose."

It's Prentice speaking to Smith in Smith of Wootton Major

[ 9:29 AM November 30, 2003: Message edited by: The Squatter of Amon Rûdh ]
Old 12-02-2003, 11:55 PM   #405
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

yup [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img], that's him. pray proceed

Old 12-04-2003, 05:55 PM   #406
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

Who's this negative character?

Quote:
No, more's the pity
Old 12-06-2003, 01:59 PM   #407
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

I've been looking and can't find it - a clue please?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 12-06-2003, 02:06 PM   #408
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

You ought to pay more attention to your dialogues. I'll not light any more candles in the dark.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:58 PM   #409
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Ah, my first instinct was right, and I found it the second time around - it's Tídwald speaking to Torhthelm in The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's Son.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:55 PM   #410
Spectre of Decay

1420!

I didn't think you really needed that clue. Indeed it is, and it's your turn to give us a quote.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:25 PM   #411
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Alas, this appears to be the motto of this thread:
Quote:
only for a few
Old 12-07-2003, 10:48 AM   #412
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

This is a rare instance of a Troll talking about baking:
Quote:
Only on Thursdays I bake my bread,
and only for a few.
It's the Lonely Troll addressing a large group of uninvited guests in Perry the Winkle, one of the poems from The Adventures of Tom Bombadil.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 11:49 AM December 07, 2003: Message edited by: The Squatter of Amon Rûdh ]
Old 12-07-2003, 11:35 AM   #413
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Right you are, Squatter - pray proceed!
Old 12-07-2003, 05:54 PM   #414
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Silmaril

yep
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 07:52 PM   #415
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

This will be literally true if I don't sign off soon.
Quote:
Behold the morn is cold and grey
Who's this cheerful character?
Old 01-09-2004, 03:44 PM   #416
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Well, it took awhile, but I did finally find it in a very minor work! Itroun is the speaker, in The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun.
Quote:
"Behold the morn is cold and grey,
and why is my lord so long away?
I do not hear his feet returning
neither at evening nor at morning"
Old 01-09-2004, 03:50 PM   #417
Spectre of Decay

1420!

Absolutely, Estelyn. I was wondering when someone would get that one.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:05 AM   #418
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Well, now that we have successfully resuscitated this thread,
Quote:
You never know what will happen next
Old 01-17-2004, 06:01 PM   #419
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

Quote:
...when once you get mixed up with wizards and their friends.
The eponymous hero describes to Mew the tribulations of those who fail to stay out of the affairs of wizards in Roverandom.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:58 AM   #420
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
...for they are subtle and quick to anger.
...as Gildor warned Frodo.

Yes, that's right, and you may continue!
Old 01-18-2004, 10:16 AM   #421
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

Don't mind if I do, yer 'Ighness.
Quote:
These are hungry folk
Old 01-30-2004, 02:22 PM   #422
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

that be Tidwald:

Quote:
These are hungry folk
and masterless men, miserable skulkers.
They're corpse-strippers:
a cursed game
and shame to think of.
about marauders.

Old 02-04-2004, 01:22 PM   #423
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

It would indeed, Heren. It's good to see you back.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:36 PM   #424
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

thanks [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

here be dragons:

Quote:
At least they may be getting rare
um?

Old 02-06-2004, 04:06 PM   #425
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That's the older dragons in Farmer Giles of Ham, hoping that knights are dying out:
Quote:
'So knights are mythical!' said the younger and less experienced dragons. 'We always thought so.'
'At least they may be getting rare,' thought the older and wiser worms; 'far and few and no longer to be feared.'
Old 02-06-2004, 06:07 PM   #426
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sting

that was quick [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

yes, indeed. Pray proceed

Old 02-07-2004, 04:03 AM   #427
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

For some reason, the word "rare" stuck out to me in that quote - I couldn't help but wonder if that's how the dragons like their knight served?! ("One knight, medium rare, with a salad and fries on the side") [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Here's a new quote:
Quote:
there's work to do
Old 02-07-2004, 02:39 PM   #428
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

That's Tídwald; telling Torhthelm to get on with his work in The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth.
Quote:
Brave words, my lad!
The woven staves have yet worth in them
for woeful hearts. But there's work to do,
ere the funeral begins.
Old 02-07-2004, 03:10 PM   #429
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

That's right, Squatter - you must know that poem by heart already! Your turn...
Old 02-07-2004, 03:17 PM   #430
Spectre of Decay

Pipe

This question doesn't refer to me, because the evidence of that is right here in black and green.
Quote:
What does he do with himself all day?
Old 02-10-2004, 03:00 AM   #431
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That's one dog to another, the title hero of Roverandom asking his moon friend about the Man-in-the-Moon.
Quote:
'What does he do with himself all day?' said Roverandom to Rover.
'Do?' said the moon-dog. 'O he's always pretty busy — though he seems busier than I have seen him for a long time, since you arrived. Making dreams, I believe.'
Old 02-18-2004, 12:24 PM   #432
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting Closed due to length

This thread has reached the end of its natural life. Please start a new one if you wish to continue the game.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:25 PM   #433
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril "Minor works" Quotes

The old thread is closed, long live the new thread! Let's continue the tradition started by Heren Istarion in hopes that he will be able to join us often! Here is the list of Tolkien's works that we've been using:

Quote:
Farmer Giles of Ham
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil
Leaf by Niggle
Smith of Wootton Major
On Fairy Stories
Mythopoeia
The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm's Son
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
Father Christmas Letters
The Monsters and the Critics
Roverandom
The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun
A Secret Vice
Since I found the last quote on the old thread, I will start us off with a new one:
Quote:
that was in fair fight, sword in hand
Old 02-25-2004, 09:08 AM   #434
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Sounds something Green Knight might have uttered, but I can not find it. A clue, perhaps?

Old 02-25-2004, 09:55 AM   #435
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

The speaker is another author, quoted by Tolkien.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:27 AM   #436
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

hum... Andrew Lang in "On Fairy Stories"?

Old 02-26-2004, 01:55 AM   #437
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

You got it, HI!! That quote amuses me:
Quote:
He [Andrew Lang] was at pains to defend the slaying of the Yellow Dwarf by Prince Ricardo in one of his own fairy-stories. 'I hate cruelty,' he said, '...but that was in fair fight, sword in hand, and the dwarf, peace to his ashes! died in harness.'
Old 02-26-2004, 04:30 AM   #438
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

mushroom driven visions arise: marching yellow dwarves hand in hand with green knights and loads of Ricardos after them...

Presumably, my turn to serve. Here we go, than:

Quote:
Good steward, if thou love me well, bid make my bed
yeah, I'm a bit sleepy, despite it being the midst of a working day

Old 03-02-2004, 02:06 PM   #439
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
That would be Aotrou.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:27 AM   #440
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

hola, Bruce, haven't seen you for ages

Yes, that's the guy. Go ahead