The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-26-2004, 11:10 AM   #1
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Pilgrimage to Tolkien's grave

Since I was passing by Oxford on Saturday with a little time on my hands, I did something I never got round to when I actually lived there and paid my respects at Prof & Mrs Tolkien's grave at Wolvercote. Although it is in most respects quite unremarkable - other than by the inclusion of the names Luthien and Beren, and it being quite such an ordinary tomb for such a remarkable man- it is rendered unusual by the various items left by fans among the plants theat grow on it. I can understand the letters, the "Frodo lives" badge and even (just ) the toy eagle.... but why a toy lamb? Can anyone enlighten me or was it just random?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 11:18 AM   #2
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I don't know for sure but the first thing that popped into my mind after reading your post was maybe the person that left the lamb was trying to say he was the Shepard that lead the Flock. In which case he really was. He lead us all into a world we had only dreamed about and made the places and characters come to life with words. I'm not sure but that is what I think.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:21 AM   #3
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh that is a nice idea..... especially since there were notes from people saying how much Tolkien's work had meant to them, that Tolkien had inspired their interest in literature and myth.......

Old 07-26-2004, 11:39 AM   #4
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
If someone has a bit of time they can do more. When I was in Oxford a while ago I picked up a pamphlet at the TIC that gave directions to a general Tolkenish tour, but an interesting bit was it told how to visit the gravesites of inklings JRRT, C.S. Lewis, and Charles Williams. I did it in one day by taking buses, but you could probably also go by bike. They're interestingly different. JRRT's is in a suburban setting, CW in the heart of Oxford (near Magdalen College), the oldest burial area of the three, and C.S. Lewis in a church cemetery setting reminiscent of a small town U.S. protestant church setting. I think Warnie Lewis is also buried there.
Btw, the kilns is fairly close to CSL's church.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 11:45 AM   #5
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Awesome, I would love to go. I think the Beren/Luthien inscription is so sweet... hooray for Tolkien's romantic side!

We should all be so lucky that adoring fans will someday visit our graves and leave us toy lambs and eagles and letters. I wouldn't mind action figures adorning my tombstone! Oh wait, I'm gonna be cremated... never mind
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:08 PM   #6
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well I found myself by accident by his house in Headington once .... but I was intrigued by the grave and I didn't have time to do more this time ..... The grave was nicer than I expected from the description in the biography and although you get the dull roar of traffic on the A34 Wolvercote is a charming village and the cemetery far more pleasant than most municipal ones which can be a little bleak ....there are lots of trees and the graves are very well tended. There are subtle markers by the path to point you to Tolkien's grave.

Well I intend to have a Woodland Burial (but I hope not for a very long time ).

Old 07-26-2004, 12:26 PM   #7
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril moving...

Since this isn't a book discussion, I'm moving the thread to the Barrow-Downs forum. You might also enjoy reading another account of a pilgrimage to Tolkien's grave that can be found there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 03:12 AM   #8
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
I'd love to visit Tolkien's grave sometime, the keyword here being 'sometime' as I don't have any possibilities at the moment. Preferably in the dead of the night, like Squatter did (see Estelyn's link). Until then , does anyone have a photo of the tombstone, to appease my curiosity?

Tuor of Gondolin, what is TIC?
Old 07-27-2004, 03:25 AM   #9
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Here's a pic for you:

Beren and Luthien

And here it is, without the heraldry devices set up in the previous pic:

Tolkien site

Last edited by piosenniel; 07-27-2004 at 03:32 AM.
piosenniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:04 AM   #10
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Thank you. It does look very non-imposing, easy to overlook. The banners were a nice touch, though I expect they're not usually there.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:58 AM   #11
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

The plants have grown a lot since then ... especially the rosemary.... In a way it is nice that it is not obvious... all the graves are well tended not just the "celebrity" one...

Old 07-27-2004, 01:54 PM   #12
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
TIC= Tourist Information Center. When I was there it was located in the heart of the city, on St. Algate Street. And since it was between terms I got a room just a block away for 9 or 10 pounds a night, breakfast included and a radio, but no tv. Basically a student dorm, but a terrific location.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 11:07 AM   #13
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Were you in one of the old colleges? Years ago I stayed at "Lincoln" for a sixthform conference and was given a set of rooms on the ground floor since the study/sitting room was rather bare and exposed I retreated to the tiny bedroom and the connecting door practically fell off ..... it had been there for hundreds of years and I managed to almost break it in ten minutes...aiieeeee But Oxford is lovely and well worth a visit for Tolkienites and ... though it has to be said that the Bird and Baby has been systematically stripped of character like so many of the pubs in Oxford.... the Lamb and Flag across the road was much more the kind of thing you would imagine but that was under threat when I was there in '96 and I haven't dared go back and see ..... But still Oxford is sublime, the loveliest city in England of those I have been too.....

Old 07-30-2004, 04:41 PM   #14
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I am now so regretful that I had not yet discovered Tolkien when my family went to England three years ago. We never made it to Oxford (we were only in the country for four days), but we did go to Bournemouth. Hopefully next time we visit my grandmother in France, we can go to England again and visit the Professor's grave.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:03 PM   #15
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Looking at those pics made me feel like I was visiting the grave of a hero, which in a sense he is.

The banners were beautiful, too.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 10:59 AM   #16
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh well I live near Bournemouth and it ain't quite in the same league....lol and he lived there too late for me to claim my beloved New Forest nearby as an inspiration for any Middle Earth landscapes.... I haven't been to see his house there (or in Oxford) cos it must be a real pain for the new residents to have people gawking at them

Old 08-09-2004, 12:33 PM   #17
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Posted by Mithalwen: "Were you in one of the old colleges?"
----------------------------

I had to find an Oxford map to check. It was either Lincoln or Brasenose College, highly probably Lincoln, since I recall stepping out and being right on Turl Street, near a tiny gift shop. It's surprising, even when there were packed crowds on Cornmarket or Queen Street you could move as little as Turl or Holywell and have an almost deserted place to stroll (at least in April/May).

P.S. Oxford also has my favorite museum in England, Pitt Rivers.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:43 PM   #18
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

OMG - I love the Pitt-Rivers a true Mathom House .... it reminds me of this house I stayed in as a child belonging to an old friend of my mother's who had married into a family of hunters / explorers ... the P-R seemed so much less museum more the most amazing junk room ..... just so random.... the turl is generally much quieter as I recall ....but I lived out at Cumnor Hill .... If you had been at Brasenose you would probably have noticed teh Radcliffe Camera..... and the university church.....