The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-27-2002, 05:07 PM   #1
Sharkű
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkű has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The Disaster of the Gladden Fields -- A Gist

Like with the Quenta Silmarillion, the chat room did the story of Isildur's fall. Enjoy! (btw, Alatar and LegoIas are the same)

(Alatar) The Disaster of Gladden Fields...another chapter in UT. ; )
(Alatar) Isildur and his men (including his eldest 3 sons, of 4) were marching north to Thranduil's palaces in Mirkwood.
(Alatar) With Sauron defeated, he had nothing to fear, save weather and weariness, right?
(Alatar) He met a wall of orcs, which outnumbered his men at least 10 to 1.
(Alatar) With the ridiculous odds, he gives the Shards of Narsil to Ohtar, his esquire, and told him to run home as fast as he could and save it.
(twinkle) home is where?
(Alatar) Gondor.
(Alatar) Actually, all he said was "Save it from capture by all means that you can find, and at all costs."
(Alatar) Ohtar went to Rivendell because Valandil was there, but home was Gondor.
(Alatar) Anyway, the orcs first attacked with arrows, which did nothing due to Isildur's men's armor.
(Alatar) The orcs sent their greatest warriors, but they fell...the Numenoreans were taller and greater.
(Alatar) The orcs were still in favor though, outnumbering them 5 to 1.
(Mhoram) Side note, Isildur was on his way to Arnor(the north kingdom, just north of what became the shire)
(twinkle) gotcha
(Alatar) In the battle, his son Ciryon is killed, and Aratan is mortally wounded while trying to save him.
(Alatar) Elendur, the only one of the three accompanying Isildur alive, went to Isildur and told him he should do as he had instructed Ohtar.
(Alatar) In other words..."Run!"
(Alatar) Isildur puts on the ring and dips out, like Elendur told him to.
(Alatar) He ran faster than his army could've kept up with "marching without halt and by day", and pauses on the banks of the Anduin that night.
(twinkle) all alone?
(Alatar) Yep.
(twinkle) k
(Alatar) With the ring still on, mind you.
(twinkle) yup
(twinkle) invisible
(Alatar) He was a man of "strength and endurance few could equal", but he really had no hope that he could reach the other side.
(Alatar) When he started swimming, he had to turn almost completely north against the current, and found himself being swept back towards the Gladden Fields.
(Alatar) The ring fell off and he knew it instantly.
(twinkle) i mean it fell off of its own free will
(Alatar) Yes, that's what we're lead to believe.
(Alatar) The instant he realized it, he felt great loss, but almost as soon as he felt that, it was over and he felt like a great burden had been lifted.
(Alatar) His despair at first almost caused him to give the struggle to get across
(Alatar) It then appeared as a shorter distance than before...his feet hit the bottom of the river and he got out on the oppisite shore.
(Alatar) To make the swim easier, he had left his armor and such on the other side...he only took a short sword.
(Alatar) Orcs had been left to watch the area, and with no armor, he fell when hit by their arrows.
(Alatar) The men were defeated by the orcs also...Elendur fell like the other two brothers.
(twinkle) so valandil was the remaining heir
(Alatar) One person survived, Elendur's esquire, Estelmo...he was hit by a club and stunned, but ended up underneath Elendur's body.
Sharkű is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkű
Like with the Quenta Silmarillion, the chat room did the story of Isildur's fall. Enjoy! (btw, Alatar and LegoIas are the same)
What? You mean alatar and Legolas are the same as Ulmo?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:26 AM   #3
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
What? You mean alatar and Legolas are the same as Ulmo?
żQué?

I may have different personalities as indicated by the voices in my head, but Down's-wise, Madam, I'm alatar...
Old 11-30-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
żQué?

I may have different personalities as indicated by the voices in my head, but Down's-wise, Madam, I'm alatar...
tsk, well isn't that just like that tricksome Sharkű then with his silver words and quick tongue. Still, it will take some effort to rid myself of this "alatarmolas" that he has put into my head. It bet it runs uphill in December rather well though.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:31 PM   #5
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
tsk, well isn't that just like that tricksome Sharkű then with his silver words and quick tongue.
Well, technically, A does not equal a. And I have enough trouble being me without the added difficulty of being me+.

Quote:
Still, it will take some effort to rid myself of this "alatarmolas" that he has put into my head. It bet it runs uphill in December rather well though.
Cryptic as always.