The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-24-2002, 06:41 AM   #1
The Youngest Ent

Sting Was Boromir a mistake?

I haven't really been able to find many opinions on this one, and this is something that I've long thought: that Boromir was never truly meant to be a member of the Fellowship, and that his joining was a mistake.

My reasons for believing this are straight from the book itself, but in particular at the council of Elrond, Boromir recounts the dream that sent him to Rivendell, stating that "a dream came to my brother in a troubled sleep; and afterwards a like dream came oft to him again, and ONCE to me." (emph. mine.)

It's in this dream that the men of Gondor are told to go to Rivendell, and the fact that Boromir was the one who went is explained the next paragraph down where it states "Therefor my brother, seeing how desperate was our need, was eager to heed the dream and seek for Imladris; but since the way was full of doubt and danger, I took the journey upon myself." So, seeing as how there are many suggestions that the Fellowship of the ring were motivated by a "force other than Mordor" and that many events were attributed to this other force, could this not suggest that it was not Boromir that was meant to go, but Faramir? Perhaps, not getting the response from Faramir that this force needed, (leaving for Rivendell) it'd been forced to settle on the lesser of the two brothers?

Later in the series it's mentioned a few other times, when Faramir discusses Boromir's death with Frodo, and states that it should have been him to go, but Boromir had forced the journey upon himself, and Denathor makes a comment of the same sort.

I'm curious as to whether or not anyone agrees with me that perhaps it was meant to be Faramir who journeyed with the ringbearer, and that Boromir was a mistake? (Almost a fatal one, as an arguement can be made that the breaking of the company was Boromir's fault, and that the chances of success were GREATLY diminished when the seperated...)

Also, how do you think things would have been different if it WAS Faramir who'd answered the call?

(If this has been brought up countless times before, I apologize...)
Old 01-24-2002, 07:30 AM   #2
Hama
Pile O'Bones

Hama has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Mmm. I've often thought that about the dreams too.

If Faramir had gone with the Fellowship, I imagine that it would not have split up... they would have gone on to Minas Tirith, and been trapped there by the forces of Mordor. They would have been destroyed and the ring captured (the eye of Sauron was much on Gondor, so they probably couldn't have sneaked into Mordor). Either that or, in the face of defeat, someone would have used the ring as a last resort, with the consequences that entails.

If they were taking the ring into the presence of Denethor and Boromir in their own city, surely there would have been an attempt to take the ring and use it...
Old 01-24-2002, 12:21 PM   #3
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I don't think they would have gone to Minas Tirith. Frodo knew that he had to go to Mordor and, as Sam said, was merely trying to 'screw up' the courage to go. If it hadn't been for Boromir's intervention, the fellowship would very likely have gone to Mordor together; or Frodo might have tried to sneak off alone anyway.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 02:47 PM   #4
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dűm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Knowing Boromir and Faramir's love for eachother, I think Faramir would have fallen for the ring, even if he is the more Aragorn-like/wise of the two, and Boromir would then not have touched it if it came to Minas Tirith. But, if Faramir had went, they may never have had to worry because they may not have gone through Moria, and Gandalf would still be there.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 10:12 PM   #5
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
But what if spurring Frodo to decide to go on to Mordor alone was why Boromir was in the Fellowship? Or if Faramir had been originally intended to go to Rivendell, the "forces" changed their plans in view of altered circumstances.
Old 01-24-2002, 11:38 PM   #6
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dűm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

the change would have innumberable consequences
Personally I think it was better that Boromir went, as Frodo was forced to split from the company and Aragorn was then able to ride to the defence of Rohan and then Gondor-if the fellowship had not been broken, Aragorn would have followed Frodo, and there would be no Faramir in Ithilien.
Buttttt as I said at the start there's many possiblities-I like it just the way it is [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 01:01 AM   #7
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

It is said that Ulmo can advise by direct appearance, by dreams or through the music of the waters. It may be that Ulmo caused the dreams of Boromir and Faramir.

The ring would have had the same effect on Faramir, but he wouldn't have acted as aggressive as Boromir had. Eventually Frodo would have had to leave so tthey wouldn't be tempted. Perhaps Eowyn would have married Boromir. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 02:20 AM   #8
The Youngest Ent

Sting

I don't know if Faramir would have broken down and tried to get the ring... I've always held that the only advantage Aragorn had over Boromir in the matter was his "truer" blood... Boromir was merely a man, and the ring was too much for him... but in Faramir the blood ran almost pure, didn't it? Also, Faramir was less a man of war than Boromir, (although very capable), and Boromir couldn't even really see the reasoning behind destroying the ring, while surely Faramir would have... he let the ring go right from underneith his nose, remember, when no one would have questioned or stopped its taking.

I wonder how different Aragorn would have been, as well... with a subject of Gondor around that wasn't really interested in the throne himself, and that (later at least) was willing to immediately accept a king.

Honestly, I don't know what would have been different... I don't know why they wouldn't have gone to Moria, so maybe nothing would have changed until that part. Perhaps without Boromir to chase Frodo off, the orcs would have come across Frodo alone, and took him without the others knowing... who knows, too many options. It's fun though, to think of. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Cause... well, Faramir is pretty damn cool...
Old 01-25-2002, 03:33 AM   #9
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dűm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Elrian just coz you want me to I'll bite [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Eowyn wouldn't have married Boromir-well I don't think she would've-errrrrr [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
I don't believe that Faramir would have taken the Ring. He didn't in Ithilien, did he?????
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 11:32 AM   #10
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

I don't think Faramir would have taken the ring. He seems more pure and resilient than his brother. Remember in Henneth Annun, when he did not want to take the ring from Frodo? He didn't even want to see it. I agree that the blood of Numenor does not run so thick in Boromir; this may, in part, explain his actions at the foot of Amon Hen. We saw in Lorien how, after his thoughts and desires were laid bare by Galadriel, he began to cast strange looks at Frodo. This continues during the trip down the Anduin. Merry and Pippin are worried by the way he acts, but no one in the company, even Frodo, guesses how far the temptation of the ring has poisoned him. He has inherited the fighting strength of Gondor but not its learning; otherwise, he would certainly heed the warnings of Gandalf and Elrond.

However, it is easy to underestimate the importance of Boromir. Boromir may actually do some good by confronting Frodo. At the very least, he forces a decision. It is characteristic of The Lord of the Rings more general that bad events are turned toward a good end through some coincidence; here, Frodo's indecision is delaying the company and Boromir's action (though deplorable) forces the hobbit to act immediately. Moreover, it forces Frodo to make what his heart tells him is the right decision. He knows that he must head for the Cracks of Doom, but, as Sam correctly observes, he is simply afraid--afraid of Mordor but also afraid that if he goes back and tries to convince the others to go to Mordor, they will talk him out of his decision. This shows Frodo's deep honesty of character; he could not live with himself if he took the easy way out, even if it seemed reasonable. It is Tolkien's view, rooted in Christianity, that evil will in the end defeat itself. Thus, Boromir's treason against the Company, even though it breaks the Fellowship, has the ultimate good effect of moving the Ring further toward the Land of Shadow.

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 11:51 AM   #11
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If Boromir's presense was a mistake, then it was a happy one. (Sorry Boromir.)

If nothing else, when the Urak-Hai attacked the Fellowship, they would have been together in the same place, rather than being split up searching for Frodo.

What then? Aragorn and/or Faramir slain? All the Hobbits captured, including Frodo?

Now if they had survived the attack, a much bigger band would have gone into Mordor, which I'm not sure would have been a good thing. Secrecy is what got Frodo and Sam as far as Mount Doom. It would have been hard to hide the presence of so many members.
The members of the Fellowship would have died to protect Frodo and the Ring, and I'm afraid that is what would have happened if they went into Mordor.

I think the hand of Fate was involved when Boromir took it upon himself to make the Journey to Rivendell.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 11:55 AM   #12
Reyna Evergreen
Haunting Spirit

Reyna Evergreen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Reyna Evergreen
Silmaril

I agree completely, but I have one thing to say; it's called a PLOT.
If Boromir hadn't been there to mess things up, would these stories be as interesting as they are? Without him, the Fellowship may not have seperated, but think, if they would have stayed together, no one would have gone to Fangorn, and a huge chunk of the book would not even exist. Plus, Sam and Frodo would not have been alone to develop that strong relationship between themsleves, and Gollum might not have trusted that big of a group. It also takes away the effect at the end of the story, when everyone reunites and it becomes all happy (that is, if you don't count when the Fellowship ends..but all godds things must end at one point or another so...blah)
I think that Boromir was the right person to go..but then again, I may be insane and just completely missing the point! ^^
Old 04-21-2002, 12:06 PM   #13
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Interesting thread! Boromir was definetly needed, but a mistake.... probably one that worked out for the best.

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 05:12 PM   #14
The Half-Hobbit
Haunting Spirit

The Half-Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Half-Hobbit
Sting

Also, if Boromir had not died protecting him and Merry, would Pippin have been moved to swear his loyalty to Denethor? And if he had not, then he probably would not have been in a position to save Faramir's life. In my opinion, Boromir was not a mistake, he was there for a purpose as clear as Sam's or Frodo's.
But really I'm not actually your friend,
But I am.
-They Might Be Giants
The Half-Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 06:20 PM   #15
Lyliac
Pile O'Bones

Lyliac has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Eventhough Boromir's joining the fellowship might seem like a mistake, if it was an action that would have truely messed everything up, then something would have been done to prevent it. I think his action was a mistake, but one that didn't greatly affect the outcome of the journey compared to Faramir's going, because I believe that either Eru or somebody else would have done somwthing to stop it.
Old 04-22-2002, 06:42 PM   #16
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Reyna Evergreen's comment made a lot of sense to me. Perhaps for this subject we ought to consider Tolkien's obligations to his personal beliefs and to the needs of his readers. The thing to remember when discussing the role of Boromir is that he reconciled himself magnificently in the end. Writing from a Christian viewpoint, Tolkien must have chosen to include that Christians, (represented as all the "good" characters and/or races in LoTR) regardless of their sins or mistakes, are always given the opportunity to come back to their Lord and Saviour and ask forgiveness, knowing that it will be given. Boromir turned out to be an admirable character, and even swore allegiance (or pretty nearly) to Aragorn. He didn't have to do that. It shows that he recognized his mistake and was willing to seek forgiveness with both his actions and his words.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 09:21 PM   #17
Kalessin
Wight

Kalessin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Silver is on the right lines here in terms of a moral sensibility beneath the narrative, but Reyna is spot on - it's a story which is meant to be exciting and entertaining [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Faramir did not go, specifically because Boromir aggressively asserted his right to represent Gondor, and was backed by Denethor. It was not a 'mistake', or continuity error ... Boromir's presence is entirely consistent and his personality, and relationship to both Faramir and Denethor, is clearly outlined in The Return of the King. The traits of father and sons are illustrated at length within the narrative, and whilst Faramir is ultimately a more noble figure (and IS able to resist the ring), it is Boromir who acts as a catalyst for dynamic narrative, and elicits a range of reactions in the reader (thus providing entertainment!).

Peace
Kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 10:05 PM   #18
Nazgűl Queen
Haunting Spirit

Nazgűl Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<center><font color="red">And just say that Faramir went instead, the fellowship defeated the orcs and all went into Mordor, what else might have happened?

*They would not have had Gollum to guide them, and to take the ring nito mount doom, greatly decreasing the already smaller chances of success

*The ents would remain unroused and Saruman would not be destroyed.

*Theoden would not have been awoken, and therefore Rohan would likely have been destroyed.

*Gondor would have been destroyed because it would lack the assisstance from Rohan and the dead who Aragorn lead to Pelagir.

*Aragorn would have had less chance of being accepted as King because Boromir would resist him.

*The shire would have probably been outright attacked, maybe even destroyed.

Not very good... so its kinda good that Boromir went in Faramir's plave... "For not even the very wise can see all ends"
Old 04-22-2002, 11:50 PM   #19
KingCarlton
Wight

KingCarlton has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

This topic was really lame to begin with. It's the same as asking 'What if Sauron hadn't lost the ring would, we have had a story? '

Excellent points, Nazgul Queen !

Boromir's part in the story is as important as anyone else's, including Pippin, Deagol and even the Sackville-Baggins and it is a moot point to ponder upon.

Know Peace !

[ April 23, 2002: Message edited by: KingCarlton ]
Know ye People, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, And the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars.

Hither came Carlton, the King, black haired, bronze hued, mightily thewed, sullen eyed. Sword in hand, a warrior, a destroyer, a conqueror. With gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jewelled thrones of the Earth, under his sandalled feet.
KingCarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 06:18 PM   #20
Thulorongil
Haunting Spirit

Thulorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thulorongil
Silmaril

Though Kingcarlton has a good and obvious point, utterly open-ended thoughts and ideas like this are fun to ponder.
I actually think that even if Boromir hadn't been there to bug Frodo, the Fellowship still would have broken. It seemed as though Frodo, Gandalf, and Aragorn all saw that it was inevitable. Though, it would be weird but exceptable if they all had gone into Mordor together. If this had happened it would be very likely that we would never get Gollum as such an important character, reason being that he either continued to sneak around keeping his distance from them, the Fellowship killed him, or they were caught before he had a chance to appear. No matter which of these occured, however, this story would be short.
As I have often said before, and is said often in the books, every slight character and happening affects the outcome of what they are involved in.

And if Boromir was not a main character, Laurelin and I would only have Arwen to make fun of. (Which would not be completely terrible.) [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-30-2002, 08:49 AM   #21
Nephridel

Sting

Assuming Faramir travelled with the Company, and assuming that this kept the Company together and allowed them all to escape the attack of the Uruk-Hai, I think there still would have been a problem. If the Company did not split up, with only Samwise and Frodo travelling to Mordor, the presence of the eight of them (because Gandalf would be around the area of Fangorn, since in my little hypothetical world, he still would have fallen in Moria) would be much more likely to be spotted than just two little hobbits.

Though I do think the dreams indicated that Faramir should have gone to Imladris instead of his brother, I also think that the trilogy was very well planned out and that Boromir's part in the journey was imperative.

That was as clear as mud, my apologies! [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

[ April 30, 2002: Message edited by: Nephridel ]
Old 05-05-2002, 10:08 PM   #22
Lostgaeriel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Lostgaeriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I had intended to post this a couple of weeks ago, but forgot. (I write my posts up off-line after I’ve thought them out a bit.) But Kalessin has since touched on what I have to say.

I don’t think that Boromir was a mistake. I think his existence and actions follow logically from the underpinnings of Tolkien's story. The motivations of the characters drive the plot.

Of course, Denethor preferred to send Boromir to Rivendell because he was more 'obedient' and would keep Gondor's needs above those of the Elves. Is it possible, that Denethor understood that the dream was about the Ring and hoped that Boromir might be able to bring it to him? (Of course, he never revealed this to his son. He just trusted him to do 'the right thing'. I don’t recall Boromir saying that he wants to take the Ring for his father to use – it’s for Gondor. It’s ‘his own’ idea.)

Denethor's use of the Palantír had enabled Sauron to 'capture' him. He had probably revealed the contents of the dreams to Sauron. Even while Sauron was convincing Denethor that all was hopeless - that Sauron would regain the Ring and be victorious - he was insidiously putting it into Denethor's head that aquiring the Ring was the key to victory for Gondor.

In this way, Sauron recruited yet another agent to seek for the Ring - one who would bring it near Mordor and possessed by someone too weak to wield it against him and easy enough to defeat by war. Denethor did not have the power that Elrond, Galadriel or Gandalf had and was far too easily manipulated by Sauron. (Saruman is this type of case.)

But even the best plans of Sauron have a tendency to backfire when hobbits are involved. As Jessica Jade said, Boromir's lust for the Ring
Quote:
forces Frodo to make what his heart tells him is the right decision
Would this not be Tolkien’s underlying logical reasoning for the plot?

It is fun to speculate how the story would differ from the one we know. If Faramir had gone to Rivendell, I don't think he would have been tempted by the Ring. He understood its dangers and agreed with the rationale behind sending it into Mordor to be destroyed. Then what would have happened? Nazgűl Queen has already covered that very well.
Old 05-06-2002, 03:05 AM   #23
Peregrin Boffin
Pile O'Bones

Peregrin Boffin has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I don't think Boromir being in the fellowship was a mistake. But since others have already stated my reasons better than I can, I'll just leave it at that.

Just a little stupid fact:
Faramir couldn't have gone to Rivendell because technically he didn't even exist. He was created when Frodo, Sam and Gollum got to Ithilien.
Peregrin Boffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 12:13 PM   #24
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Saxony Tarn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saxony Tarn
Sting

well, Ent, looks like you've found quite a lot on that topic, and all well delineated. me, i'll leave it for fanfic (mine & others) but yes, i do have a strong suspicion that:

1) It was supposed to be Faramir's quest.

2) Faramir would have been quite fine up until the Ring started throwing every possible angle at him that hadn't been exhausted yet, like, "don't you want to get on your father's good side...?"

3) Boromir, meanwhile, whether or not he was savvy enough to figure out that his Da had been replaced with a pod-person, would have staged a coup d'etat and declared himself King, which would mean either a fight between him & Aragorn (read, War of Kin-Strife, part two) or, if Bor' caught the Morgul dart instead, Faramir having to convince him to give it up & step aside so the guy who healed him could take over, which would have been a masterful exchange of dialogue that i'd have loved to read (and if someone else hasn't written it in a What-If, i just may elect to...)

But Tolkein had his point to make about Boromir's Later-Earth counterparts, and once done, B. was expendable. In that respect, his "accidental" Fellowship was deliberate.

s.t.
Old 05-07-2002, 01:11 PM   #25
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

I don't want to restate what others have so aptly expressed, but one other minor point deserves consideration. In terms of themes, I think it was important that Tolkien have at least one major character in the story who goes outside the bounds of goodness, but then makes a conscious decision to recant that choice and seek forgiveness through his actions. This has to be Borormir.

So many critics have unjustly criticized Tolkien for his one-dimensional "good" and "bad" characters, a charge that is particularly ludicrous in view of both Boromir and Gollum. Gollum was so deeply entrenched with evil that his halting attempt at repentence is easily deterred, but Boromir does succeed in showing us that he has the freedom to chose one side or the other, and that free choice still operates even after he has made a faulty decision. That is one of the critical differences between Tolkien and the ancient northern mythologies which he emulated, but only in part. There, the idea of an unyielding doom has a much stronger hold.

Faramir's reaction to the Ring would have been quite different if we judge from his later meeting with Sam and Frodo. (In that situation, Frodo was truly unprotected and Faramir showed his true nature.) So Boromir was essential to the themes of the story as well as the plot. sharon, the 7th age hobbit.
Old 05-09-2002, 05:33 PM   #26
Halfir
Animated Skeleton

Halfir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Youngest Ent:Your post has ceratinly sparked some erudite and entertaining responses.

One point that interests me is that of the quest and the quest heros - a fundamental aspect of any epic story or poem.

In the quest tradition we have the numinous object- in this instance the Ring - and those who seek - in the LOTR context - not to search for it but to destroy it. We have the Fellowship, representing Istari, Gandalf, Men - Aragorn -Boromir, Dwarves - Gimli, Elves - Legolas, and the four Hobbits.
The inter-play of characters both within races - Boromir -Aragorn, and between races Gimli - Legolas, as the quest unfolds is a powerful one.

Boromir clearly was not meant to be the recipient of the dream's message. The dream came often to Faramir but only once to him, as you note. But chance, which plays such an important role in any epic, intervenes, in the form of Boromir's insistence and Denethor's support, and it is Boromir who makes the journey.

Mistakenly? I think not. Others have posted more elgantly than I can both the literary and the philosophical reason why Boromir has to be part of the Fellowship and why his betrayal of his honor and the Fellowship's trust - albeit later redeemed in his life-sacrifice for Pippin and Merry - is integral to both the plot and the philosophy of LOTR.

Boromir's hubris- his pride - is of course his fatal flaw. He is the extremehero. As one critic has written:"He protects and leads because he considers his followers to be incapable of protecting themselves.; he trusts his own experience but is unwilling to accept anyone else's word for things outside his expereince; his physical prowess is unquestioned , but his mental strength is dubious."

And in the end, as others have said,it is Boromir's madness that provides Frodo with the impetus he needs to separate himself from the Fellowship.

Boromir's blindnes to the weakness of the heroic ethos he represents permist Frodo to go forward - aware of his own frailties. His encounter with the Nazgul has shown him what happens to those who accept a ring from Sauron; Boromir's failure shows him that process in action.
Old 06-30-2002, 07:39 PM   #27
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dűm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Like many people here I don’t believe that Boromir going with the Company was a mistake. First, it led to what it led – the success of Frodo’s mission and armed resistance to the armies of Mordor.

Now, what could happen if Faramir went to Rivendell as he wanted to? Being much more spiritual (?) and receptive, as his dreams and the vision of Boromir’s body in the boat, he could be a much easier prey for the Ring and Sauron’s will. I just don’t believe that he was so much stronger than Isildur, Saruman or Denethor who were eventually ruined by evil will. If he didn’t crave power, then the defense of his city or just acquiring knowledge could be a good cause for desiring the Ring. Oh, I don’t mean he was so easily corruptible, I’m just speculating on the strings the Ring could pull. But being perhaps not as rash and straightforward as his elder brother he might not have lead it to open confrontation, which actually solved some of the problems.
And as Faramir was left behind and was of no great importance or danger to the Ring or Sauron, he avoided their attention (do you believe Sauron could control every living being in the world?)

I also think that Boromir’s fate, which Faramir guessed pretty well, directed the course of action he took in dealing with Frodo in Henneth Annun. First he wanted to take the hobbits to Minas Tirith, which had also been Boromir’s intention. But from my personal experience and knowledge, younger siblings seldom attempt to repeat what the elder failed. Anyway Faramir had a chance to see one way to act and he didn’t choose it. If Boromir was there he would be probably led by revenge.

Well, the thing is that I liked the thread and this crap was meant primarily to revive it… [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 05:21 AM   #28
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Silmaril

Hm interesting topic.

Firstly, when i read the books, i didn't consider Boromir to be that important a character. After reading these posts my opinion has now changed.

Also, I believe everything happens for a reason. If Boromir went on the quest he was MEANT to go on the quest, therefore it isn't a mistake (excuse the strange logic)

As many people have already mentioned (so i won't repeat it all again) Faramir being on the Quest would have completely different (and potentially disastrous) conseqences (sp?)

I thought it was inevitable and crucial to the storyline that the fellowship was split up (which Boromir partly caused). You can hardly have a wee troop marching through Mordor to get to Mount Doom - Sauron would spot you in no time. And without Aragorn in Gondor at the time, would Gondor have been able to fight against the forces of Mordor? Also the Witch-King would still be alive as Merry wouldn't have been there to help Eowyn. Saruman wouldn't have been kicked out of Isengard because Pippin and Merry would never have met the Ents.

One detail can make a lot of difference.

Hope my insane ramblings made some sense

~~**Varda**~~
Old 07-01-2002, 06:12 AM   #29
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

I would like to thank *Varda* for bringing back this thread. A very good one, I think.

Other than reiterate Reyna Evergreen's point about plot and Silver-shod Muse's about forgiveness (which I think helps to suggest an interpretation of Gollem) and turning events to the good, I would like to draw a comparison. Boromir's actions, like Eowyn's, are faulty, but both show that error can be forgiven and that good can be wrought out of bad choices. The characters who make initially wrong decisions are both human rather than elf. Suggest something, I think, about the fourth age.

Bethberry
Old 07-01-2002, 09:02 PM   #30
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If Boromir was not supposed to be there, Tolkien wouldn't have put him in.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:08 AM   #31
Melkor

Sting

I do not think Boramir was a mistake. he was not an evil man, he just surcum to the temptation of the Ring. I think Frodo was right when he said he had to leav the company because it was causing turmoil amungst them all. who in the company could resist the timptation? Boramir had the weakest will so he was the first one to fall but you can tell he regretted it aftarwards and wasnt himself when he atempted to take the ring frome Frodo. if Frodo stayd I think eavin Aragorn would have been overcome with timptation.
Old 07-03-2002, 01:38 PM   #32
Anorien
Wight

Anorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anorien
Thumbs up

Boromir was a very weak character! Let's face it, he sukz. Tolkien put him there for balance, and for the fellowship to break, and Frodo go it alone. If Boromir hadn't been there to succumb to the the ring, and try to get Frodo to give it to him, Frodo would've stayed with the Fellowship. He just twisted the plot making it more complicated in interesting. But, Frodo's the best by far!!!!!!!
Anorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 04:20 PM   #33
Saxony Tarn
Wight

Saxony Tarn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saxony Tarn
Sting

No, really, who's to say that his will was really that weak? if it was, then wouldn't he have tried to grab the thing at Rivendell? (rather than it having to chew on his conscience all the way to the waterfall?)

just a thought...

s.t.

(not to seem like a prude here, but statements like "so&so 'sux'" (and we know what you mean by it) don't really add anything to what you bring to the forum, and in many cases detract from it. Just before the Board Police take any notice...)
Old 07-03-2002, 10:46 PM   #34
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Boromir wasn't a mistake in my opinion. He wasn't my favorite but I still liked him. He brought 'liveliness' to the Fellowship. (No pun intended)
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 04:56 PM   #35
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dűm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Boromir wasn't weak!!! He was just the most HUMAN of them all. And ERRARE HUMANUM EST, which is 'to err is human' (sorry if my Latin is a bit rusty)
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 02:18 AM   #36
orlandoandsaran
Haunting Spirit

orlandoandsaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to orlandoandsaran
Shield

Yes, I too don't think that Boromir was a mistake. He played a part. A major part. If he wasn't there, Frodo would still be there and most probably will be taken b the orcs.
I do not think Boromir is a mistake (sorry if that offended some of u).
Old 07-13-2002, 02:53 PM   #37
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Boromir and Faramir are very different. Boromir had his father's desire to save thier city and that's what made him fall under the ring's power. Faramir oviously wants to save his city but he was the younger brother. Less trusted, less loved. And so not as close to his father's sutley growing maddness. I don't think he would have been overpowered by the ring.

Frodo would have gone to Mordor no matter what the circomstances. And oviously Sam would have gone with him somehow. But I don't think they all would have gone with him. I don't think anyone else would have gone. Frodo would have found someway to sneek off. But there would still be the orcs.

Think of this. If Frodo did sneek off then the fellowship would eventually get worried and go looking for him. A perfect way to get to exacty the state we were in with Boromir. Faramir might have lived. No one could have died. Or another might have died.
But whoever was left would still have gone after M&P and so on.
Old 07-13-2002, 06:52 PM   #38
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Whoa! That was some heavy reading! But, I agree with Reyna, Silver-shod, Varda, and others who have posted similar thoughts.
Yes, to quote whoever posted it earlier:
Quote:
...was put there for a reason.
Forgive me if I did not quote it exactly as it appeared. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
I love speculation on how the story could have gone. But I also thoroughly love the story as Tolkien wrote it.
Carry on! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2002, 08:48 PM   #39
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Anarya SilverBranch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I do not believe that Faramir was meant to go. Boromir was obviously guided by fate or the valar or whatever to take this quest upon himself and become a part of the fellowship. Merry and Pippin probably would have been taken sooner if he had not defended them on Amon Hen or where ever it was, making the timing of the whole thing cock sided. It was destiny.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:20 PM   #40
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Had the Fellowship not split, the Three Hunters and Gandalf the White would (most likely) not ventured to Rohan. That means Theoden would've remained under the influence of Grima. Even if he shook Grima off, would he have stood strong again? Would he have embraced Eomer again? Would his army survive without the aid of Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas? Without Gandalf to ride and bring back Erkenbrand and his army?

Rohan would've perhaps fallen under the control of Orthanc, and, together, Orthanc and Barad-dur would've sandwiched Gondor.

[ July 17, 2002: Message edited by: Legalos ]