The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-06-2002, 03:51 PM   #1
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Ring Why a Ring?

Why do you think Sauron chose to create a ring of power? If I was him, it would have made and empowered a weapon instead of a piece of jewelry. It seems to make more sense that way.

If this has been a topic already, please let me know. I don't have time to read all of the posts so I'm not sure what has been used already.

~TolkienGurl~ [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 04:21 PM   #2
Morquesse
Wight

Morquesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I do not know in particiler Sauron chose a ring, but Tolkien studied Norsh mythology, and the Norsh thought rings were powerful. That is probably why Tolkien chose rings, instead of a sword or spear.
Hope that helps to answer your question [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
~M
Old 10-06-2002, 04:46 PM   #3
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

hobbitlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

On a funny note.... can you imagine poor little Frodo trying to drag around a huge sword or simistar or something of that sort! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2002, 05:06 PM   #4
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ring

Thanks, you guys! I guess it was kind of a stupid question... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2002, 05:45 PM   #5
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Not a silly question at all, TG! These things are always interesting (like in those fairytales where a giant's power will be vanquished if the hero just plucks three golden hairs off of his head; how did the hairs get to be so powerful, and more to the point, WHY?)

As has been said before, rings are traditionally associated with power; one theory is that this is simply because a ring is an unbroken circle which would be a nice shorthand symbol of strength - something with no beginning or end, or obvious vulnerabilities. As for why Sauron would choose a ring (besides the fact that everybody else was doing the same thing; seven for Dwarves, three for Elves and so forth) - well, look at the practical side of things. It's small, light, easily carried and concealed and, unlike a sword, hard to knock out/off of one's hand or accidentally drop during battle (Isildur managed to get it off his hand, of course, but only by getting close to Sauron than he had ever wanted and by physically cutting off a finger). And if you DO lose it, it's so small that the odds are rather against anyone else finding it, especially since the Ring has so much of your nature in it and can call out to you, so to speak.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:23 AM   #6
bombur
Wight

bombur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I also think that a weapon would be out.

I mean, if you shed a LOT of your power to an item, you'll want it to be something that is... well... worn and not carried. At least I would. But why not for example a crown?

Sauron certainly did not take into consideration the possibility of the ring getting lost. If he had, he'd not made it.

But for example a crown such as Morgoth forged, would have also been difficult to lose (and harder for Isildur to remove... at least with the method he used [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] .) Also It had had the extra advantage of being more visible as a symbol of power.

Janne Harju
bombur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 02:01 AM   #7
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

True, bombur, a crown would be more obvious, but crowns tend to be rather heavy and uncomfortable. They have to be taken off for sleeping etc., so the owner would be vulnerable then. A ring doesn't ever have to be taken off, especially if it is without a stone and made of high-quality gold. It doesn't snag on other objects easily and isn't even noticed when it's been worn a long time. Just think of how many people wear plain wedding rings for years and don't feel them consciously any more. If I were choosing an object that would stay with me constantly, I would definitely choose a ring!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 03:16 AM   #8
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Telchar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

... A very nice feature of a ring is that you can 'wear it' as a piece of jewelry - hmmm its difficult? How would you yeild its power on a daily basis?

If you still are interested in reasons why Tolkien did or didnt chose a ring - then read this thread about Tolkien and Wagners, Ring des Nibelung Here

Cheers Telchar

[ October 07, 2002: Message edited by: Telchar ]
Old 10-07-2002, 10:49 AM   #9
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

Quote:
Good companions ought to encourage a young prince in battle and in ring-giving. ...A king must give out rings in the hall.
--Maxims II

In Anglo-Saxon culture, one thing a good lord did was give rings to his followers. This is extremely prevalent and, in fact, comes up in almost all of the rather limited Old English reading I've done so far. It was his way of displaying generosity, in exchange for which I gather he could claim their loyalty.

In Sauron's case, of course, generosity is a snare, but it's rather odd to me that he's the only one that seems to have used rings in this way, since they didn't have negative implications in the maxims... Any thoughts on this? Any more detailed accounts by more knowledgable members?

Incidentally, looking for this on the search engine turns up some rather interesting stuff.

--Belin Ibaimendi

[ October 07, 2002: Message edited by: Belin ]
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Belin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 12:55 PM   #10
Bombadilo
Pile O'Bones

Bombadilo has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A ring is an unending circle, a symbol of completeness and wards from outside predators. That is why primitive dance often used the circle formation, because it was thought to be the most powerful. This is why i believe that Sauron chose a ring, and that he wore it was even more symbolic of his power, it became him and he became it. And besides, a crown would probebly fall off, but the only way to remove a ring is to take it off.
Bombadilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 07:04 AM   #11
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

...or to bite it off or cut the ring finger with a sword!
Old 10-11-2002, 08:43 PM   #12
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

Because Lord of the Swords sounds dumb! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I'd rather a Ring myself, actually. Much smaller, and easier to retain. (Unless you have some pesky warrior with a sword, like Isildor)
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 07:04 AM   #13
Novlamothien
Haunting Spirit

Novlamothien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Or some pesky Gollum with sharp teeth. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Really, if you want to explore this topic in depth buy Tolkien's Ring by David Day. It shows how many aspects of LOTR is mirriored in ancient myth from various cultures.
Tolkien chose to use a ring mainly for reasions already said. Rings are very hard to notice and are easy to conceal and hard to find, plus one would never think that a ring would hold so much power. I think that even Frodo did not understand the power and danger of the Ring at first.
Namarie

[ December 12, 2002: Message edited by: Novlamothien ]
Old 12-12-2002, 08:03 AM   #14
bombur
Wight

Sting

BTW. Now that the subject arose again, I do not think, that crown being heawy would matter to a maia. Nor having to remove it for sleeping. You see, that is one thing that I really cannot picture Sauron doing... sleeping that is. I dont think Ainur have to sleep though Istari do.

(Yes. I know why Tolkien made it a ring. Lord of the swords, staffs, crowns, cups, bicycles or coins sounds silly and right out of deck of tarot. Lord of the rings is mystic in the best tradition of niebelungeliebe. But why did SAURON make it a ring? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] .)
Old 12-12-2002, 08:20 AM   #15
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Because rings feel nice on his finger?

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 09:11 AM   #16
bombur
Wight

Sting

DUH *strikes his head with a hand* point taken.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:11 PM   #17
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Maybe Sauron realized that no woman in her right mind would have him. He decided to make a ring so he could pretend he was married. Therefore the orcs would not mock him for being 'such a hit with the ladies'. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2002, 01:47 PM   #18
Aragorn_The_King
Animated Skeleton

Aragorn_The_King has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I Know Tolkien put the ring in in the Hobbit. He didn't know this was coming till it had. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2002, 03:27 PM   #19
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Well I think of a circle as the most powerful geometic figure. (even though structurally a triangle is I believe. This true? long time since geom).

A circle of power, a ring of power. Just fits for me.

[ December 14, 2002: Message edited by: -Imrahil- ]
Old 12-14-2002, 06:27 PM   #20
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dûm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I think we'd also keep in mind that at the time the rings were made Sauron was working together with elven smiths. His aim was to ensnare elves (as well as dwarves and men), not to bully them. Creating a weapon of great might would have made his ambitions too evident. And what could seem less harmful and more appealing than a piece of fine jewellery?
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 07:51 PM   #21
-Imrahil-
Shade of Carn Dûm

-Imrahil- has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ahktane good point. Definately he didn't want it to be an obvious thing, and in his dealings with the elven smiths it was the natural thing he thought of.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:15 PM   #22
Gilbo
Animated Skeleton

Gilbo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

In good Hobbit terms...It's just more handy, so to speak.
Gilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 12:17 PM   #23
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Funny this was brought up...
I just finished watching the appendices at the expanded version, and all those ring close-ups gave me enough creeps for Halloween..(it's also like too much camera focus on a knife...makes you think someone's gonna get stabbed).

The hand itself is a symbol control...it's a body part that does most of a person's actions. And having a ring on one the fingers emphasize a power that means "hey, what I do is more important that what you normally do." So when Sauron created the One Ring, he had one purpose in mind: to control Middle Earth. A crown symbolises too little, and a weapon can be upgraded, undermining its own power.

[ December 16, 2002: Message edited by: Neferchoirwen ]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2002, 07:24 PM   #24
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Great point Neferchoirwen !

I was just thinking...

The ring offers great temptation to everyone around it, and another point about rings is that they are almost awkward to hold. The only way to be comfortable with a ring in your hand is if its on your finger. The mere fact that the symbol of power is a ring would seem to add to the temptation it brings upon its posessor. Example: All of the occurences where an evil presence brings the ring to Frodo's mind and he takes it out. He can barely keep from putting it on without a struggle. Of course, there are lots of other reasons behind this call of the ring.

[ December 17, 2002: Message edited by: Iarwain ]
Old 12-17-2002, 08:06 PM   #25
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

I liked the point that Sauron was trying to appear harmless to the Elves. I guess he's almost proposing to them. "I take this ring for better and for worse..." Of course, with a Dark Lord around, I guess it's mostly worse. I'd file for divorce.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:26 AM   #26
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

I hate to always be the one to point such things out, but for me, there is definite Freudian symbolism associated with a ring of power, not in terms of the story per se (I am not suggesting that Sauron spent his free time reading up on Sigmund), but in terms of the writing in of itself. That, and for the simple, logical reasons stated above, a ring is extremely convenient.
Old 12-18-2002, 03:03 AM   #27
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

For an interesting and humorous discussion of the (Freudian) symbolism of the One Ring, read here. Enjoy!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 12:28 AM   #28
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Blazes, I completely forgot the thread that Esty mentioned, and to think, I contributed to it too (and my contribution is as steeped in my study of lechery as almost anything else). All of you, read on, this is fascinating stuff.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:52 AM   #29
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
The Eye

Iarwain: Thanks, and I also like the idea that it's awkward not to wear a ring. I mean, it really is. It's like 'you see one, you try one.'

Lindril Arvilya: nice point...and divorce wouldn't be enough to end that marriage... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 05:43 PM   #30
Melkor89
Pile O'Bones

Melkor89 has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

There are three reasons why Sauron may have made a ring of power. First, It had to be something. Why not a ring. Also, the elven smiths made their items of power rings. Since Sauron made his ring to rule the others and to bind their fate with it, perhaps the ring could only control another ring. Lastly, it is pore practical. A ring is small and can be easily carried anywhere. Also, in battle, something looped around a finger like a ring is more difficult to remove than say, a sword of power would be.
Old 12-26-2002, 02:24 AM   #31
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

It's small, compact, can be easily carried everywhere, and can be hidden when wanted to be.
Also when you are wearing one, it comes in contact with your finger, in a way that no other piece of jewelry does.
Old 12-26-2002, 08:09 PM   #32
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

LOL!! Lindril Arvilya, great call about the marriage thing. I wonder if Tolkien felt like that at his wedding:

Quote:
As soon as Sauron set the One Ring upon his finger they were aware of him; and they knew him, and perceived that he would be master of them, and of all that they wrought.
Reminds me of another one:

Quote:
Garth, marriage is punishment for shoplifting in some countries!
The question that started this thread was "why not a weapon?" To answer that, you have to realise that Sauron made the One Ring AFTER other Rings of Power were made, to control them. These rings weren't all weapons. The Elven rings possessed the power to keep safe and maintain the Elven realms so they would not fade. The Dwarven rings made their owners rich. So they only needed to be magic items, and something like a sword would not have been appropriate in some cases. Also, whenever you read about magic the hands are involved, from Harry Potter waving a wand, to Gandalf's staff, to Obi-Wan Kenobi's Jedi mind trick. I'm sure it would be a lot harder or more abstract to 'use' something like a crown.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:33 AM   #33
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Sting

Maybe why Tolkien, not Sauron chose a ring was irony. It doesn't seem like so much power and malice could all be in one little ring.
Old 12-28-2002, 05:29 PM   #34
tom bombariffic
Wight

tom bombariffic has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

In my opinion for three reasons:
firstly, rings are just mysterious things...whenever you think of tribal dances etc. they're in a ring shape, and its like a hole...something hidden or concealed.
Secondly, The eye of sauron is an eye shape (duh), and the closest object he could have used to an eye is a ring. How very symbolic.
Thirdly, and here Im going to regurgetate what others said: it had to be harmless, had to symbolise comittment, had to be on the hand, etc.

Bombariffic