The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2002, 10:33 AM   #1
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Master or Servant?

This is an English class type question, but oh well.

If you simplify things, then Frodo could be classified as the 'master' in his relationship with Sam, and Sam could be classified as the 'servant'. Which would you rather be? The master, or servant? I realize this is really very simplified, but, hm. That's the product of laziness, I suppose.

[ August 26, 2002: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 08-26-2002, 10:52 AM   #2
Davin
Wight

Davin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Frodo has a very hard role to fill in LotR as the ringbearer, and he suffers tremendously. Sam offers Frodo support, and keeps him on track as they go to destroy the ring.

I would want to be Sam. Frodo has a hard role, and Sam does too, but I could do a better job of being Sam than Frodo.

»»The Telmena««
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 02:44 PM   #3
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

I'd rather be Frodo, I always crave for understanding, and not knowing what's happening to my "master" would quite annoy me.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 03:19 PM   #4
Rohirrim Lass
Pile O'Bones

Rohirrim Lass has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In general that would annoy me, except that I'm figuring if I'm Sam, I have complete trust in Frodo, so it wouldn't bother me.
Rohirrim Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 04:24 PM   #5
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dûm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

Viewing Frodo and Sam as 'master' and 'servant' (in this order) I think is just to name their social relations. From this point of view I'd prefer to be in Frodo's place.

But in another aspect it's Sam who is really the MASTER of his fate as he makes his choice and does what he most want doing, that is accompanying Frodo, helping him, saving him etc. Frodo on the other hand SERVES the world, bearing a tremendous burdain and tremendous responsibility imposed on him by his fate,the Wise and his sense of duty. Having this in mind I just don't think I'd cope as Frodo.
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:12 PM   #6
dark_one
Pile O'Bones

dark_one has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dark_one
Sting

I'd probably want to be the Master in the situation cause I like to be in charge. Some of my instincts are to dominate and control.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:15 PM   #7
Catherine
Shade of Carn Dûm

Catherine has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I would want to be the master!
I don't think I should have had the heart to leave it."
~Merry to Haldir in Lothlórien~
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 10:52 PM   #8
Merri
Wight

Shield

Hmm . . . I don't really know what I myself would rather be. Both positions are rather difficult, I think, and there's more to being a 'master' than just having control. I think I'd rather be Sam, because I'm better at following directions and giving support than giving directions. But then again, chances are that you won't find me on a long, perilous journey like the one the Fellowship embarked on. You'll most likely find me curled up by a fire with a good book [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2002, 11:35 PM   #9
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

Quote:
I'd rather be Frodo, I always crave for understanding
Me too. There is something about being in a tough situation that intrigues me, I'm not really sure why. So, for that reason, I would want to be Frodo. Though, I'm not usually a leader and better at following directions. Also, I would usually, in most cases, choose servant over master, because of the fact that I could relate to a servant more. But in this case I relate to Frodo more. No, I don't have to destroy an evil ring, but I can understand his sorrow.
So even tough I probably wouldn't make that great of a leader, for some reason there is something that really makes me want to be Frodo.

[ August 27, 2002: Message edited by: MYyyPreciousSS ]

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 12:27 AM   #10
Kithrena Legolas

Eye

People have allways said "If you wassen't so much like Legolas, you'd be Frodo", so I guess My answer lies in that quote...Frodo. Anyway, theres SOMETHING bout his role that I can really relate to...
Plus the fact that My personallity test came bak "Frodo" with Legolas in second place

[ August 27, 2002: Message edited by: Kithrena Greenwood Legolas ]
Old 08-27-2002, 08:42 AM   #11
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Given the choice between Servant or Master on any noble quest, I would definitely go for the Servant role.

OK, so you don't get to dress the best and you have to serve at dinner, but you get to go through the whole quest experience and - 9 times out of 10 - actually survive!

Then you can go home again, write a book, sell the movie rights, and have lots of people interviewing you, asking "What was he REALLY like?"

Usually your social status rises, and you get some kind of financial compensation as well, so a servant on a decent quest can be pretty much set for life.

So get out there and slay that windmill, Master! I'm right behind you, holding the horses and breaking out the bandages.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 10:32 AM   #12
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd rather be the "servant" in this situation, but for those who know me, they would probably say I'm more like the "master". lol.

[ August 27, 2002: Message edited by: LadyElbereth ]
Old 08-28-2002, 11:32 AM   #13
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would have like to be the master, but that is partly because I like Frodo better then Sam. It would be kind of nice to be in charge, however, if you are a servant you don't have the responsibilities. Oh well.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:05 PM   #14
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Given Who I'd like to be like, definitely Sam, the servant.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 02:40 PM   #15
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Oh Sam, WHy am I not surprised at your answer??? hee hee
Old 08-29-2002, 02:48 PM   #16
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Well, sir, considering the fact that He was master and yet servant, why not? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 08-29-2002, 04:21 PM   #17
ColletteTook
Shade of Carn Dûm

ColletteTook has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to ColletteTook Send a message via AIM to ColletteTook
1420!

I would want to be Sam.
I think that in a sense, neither Frodo or Sam are master to their relationship, but have an equal understanding of how they must care for eachother.
But i was APPAULED at the way Frodo treats him when the ring starts to ensnare his mind....arr! Poor Sam! I LOVE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-29-2002, 07:10 PM   #18
Lothiriel Silmarien
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lothiriel Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'd rather be Frodo. I think I'd be able to endure the pain and suffering. Maybe not as good as Frodo. But I can keep things to myself if I want to. And I'm very strong willed, so if I want something accomplished, I'll see that it's done. But I would definetly need someone like Sam! Good ol' Sam. They're both such strong hobbits actually.
Lothiriel Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 09:24 PM   #19
NyteSky
Haunting Spirit

NyteSky has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NyteSky
Sting

Master vs Servant? I prefer 2nd in command personally. Like Aragorn when Gandalf's around. Pretty good job security, the head guy almost always gets killed first, then I can take over, but usually not permanently. There's power but not quite as much responsibility. Out of the two, I'd have to be Frodo though. I wouldn't be able to let someone else do the hardest work. I'm probably going to get mobbed for this, but something about Sam's always sort of annoyed me. He's too much of a servant I guess. He needs to grow a personality independent of Frodo. Just my opinion, please don't kill me! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
NyteSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 11:19 PM   #20
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

To sort all the stuff in my mind, I think being "called" to be a master is more of fate. it's not that you don;t have a choice. you're still in control of your life, but you've got something to do, which being your preoccupation, as well as your duty. being a servant is sort of the same thing---fate, yeah, but it's kind of necessary.

I like what akhtene said:
Quote:
it's Sam who is really the MASTER of his fate as he makes his choice and does what he most want doing, that is accompanying Frodo, helping him, saving him etc. Frodo on the other hand SERVES the world, bearing a tremendous burdain and tremendous responsibility imposed on him by his fate,the Wise and his sense of duty
He sort of deconstructed the roles and the people, which is cool, and really makes sense.

as for me, what would i be? i think i am bound to be a master, but i want to be a servant. when i consider being a servant, i end up dictating orders and things that need to be done. but when i become a master, i become afraid of the responsibility and tend to shy away into the servant's quarters, with added bitterness and frustration.

THe servant always seems to be the safer choice. a few people would like to take the initiative, which is what i admit that i lack.

Here's hoping for more improvement...
[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 07:14 AM   #21
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Did you hear that Sam?? Nytesky needs a bit of instruction I believe. Sam did what he did out of love and friendship and love. (Sheesh, crazy humans) Besides, by the end Sam and Frodo sort of ended up more as equals than one superior to the other.
Old 08-30-2002, 11:36 AM   #22
Alaggaeriel
Animated Skeleton

Alaggaeriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I don't really know which one I would want to be. I do know that I would be very lucky to have a friend like Sam who would stand by me and fight for me if need be. In the movie, all Frodo does is trip on his large feet while Sam tries his hardest to protect him. I think I would rather be a servant.
Old 08-30-2002, 01:34 PM   #23
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Question

Hallo Frodo and Sam!

Just a question to everyone who decided that they wanted to be a servant...

Did you choose 'servant' because probably you're afraid of responsibility?

It may sound blunt, but I feel like I'm running away from a lot of things by being second in command. But a lot of people have no idea that they are 'masters' in their own way. They just don't know it.
Old 08-30-2002, 03:16 PM   #24
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well Neferchoirwen, I have to say that if I was in the situation Frodo and Sam were in, I would definitly be afraid of having the kind of responsibilty Frodo had to have. That's why, of course, I would want to be Sam. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2002, 04:03 PM   #25
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

I do not think I would want to carry the burden of the ring for anything. Which means I would rather be Orc Extra 4 (so to speak) than carry the responsibility of the ring. If it were a lesser responsibility, I would jump at the opportunity to be Frodo. I just would not carry that ring for anything...I am definitely not strong enough to do so.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:05 PM   #26
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For me, I'd have to be the servant.

But like others have said. He wasn't all servant. If you noticed the title to one of the chapters was "The Choices of MASTER Samwise" this would seem insignifigant but it really isn't. This is the first time Sam has to be the master of his fate. He can't rely on Frodo's advice and he can't even just follow Frodo's lead. From this point on Sam takes alot of the decitions into his own hands. It is still the master servant relationship but Sam become's more of a body guard then just a little helper.

Sam takes this new challenge with wonderfull grace and that's why I fell in love with him. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2002, 08:51 PM   #27
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
Given Who I'd like to be like, definitely Sam, the servant.
Nev, you didn't read my post--though then again, you may not have understood it.
I'm a Christian, and the "Who" I'd most like to be like is Jesus, Who was Master, yet Servant. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2002, 07:06 PM   #28
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

YAY SAM!!!!!!!!!!! WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2002, 07:52 PM   #29
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would rather be Frodo, because Sam was <font size="5">FAT.<font size="2">
Old 09-02-2002, 07:45 AM   #30
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Sam? were you refering to NEV or to me, NEF?

I was reading your last post, misread "Nev" into "Nef" but thought you were refering to me.

But anywho... I was just noticing that there are a lot of people who want to be servant. As a Christian myself, I must have looked down on the 'servants.' I realize my error now. But you enlightened me, Sam [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] The ideas of servanthood and of being a master should be one and the same.

And this comes to mind, that each person shouldn't think himself better or less than others. Humility is key, and since I'd rather humble myself, then I'd be better off as an obedient servant.

Thanks, Sam dear, and God bless ya heaps!
Old 09-02-2002, 12:40 PM   #31
Merri
Wight

Silmaril

Would it make any difference in your answers if I said that I meant that Sam was a servant in his role in his relationship with Frodo, and just that? I was referring specifically to his relationship to Frodo, not to his role in the books themselves. His role generally, I agree, could really be considered master. But I was talking only about his role in his relationship with Frodo [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2002, 12:48 PM   #32
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Quote:
Sam? were you refering to NEV or to me, NEF?
Whoop. Sorry, NEF, I did mean you. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]