The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-01-2002, 12:35 PM   #1
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Tolkien Decorating suggestions?

Okay peeps. I need some help. I am redecorating my room and I am trying to think of a Tolkien theime. How would I go about it? We were thinking about painting a Lorien type wall, but I am more into HObbits. Maybe a shire painting? What kind of colors would I use. How about curtains, draps or blinds for the windows? This is really fun for me, but I need some help!
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 12:53 PM   #2
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

The Shire would definitly need lots of greens and flowers! How about one of those indoor waterfall things from Pier One? I love those. You could get some pipes!
I plan on doing the same thing when I get a new apartment. I am just going to have all of my fantasy stuff on display and I am going to order a Medievel Tapestry from a website to finish it off!
Right now my roommate has a dragon theme going on. It's pretty cool.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 12:56 PM   #3
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Lucky you. I think you could maybe paint your bedroom door green. That is all I can come up with for now.
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 12:56 PM   #4
AnnúnwenOfRivendell

Sting

Hey Mayla, well I've always LOVED the doors hobbits have (round), so my suggestion would be to paint a round door somewhere on you're wall. I don't know what else you could paint though. I think painting the shire is a good idea. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-01-2002, 01:17 PM   #5
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Raefindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Raefindel
Sting

You could paint dark beams on the walls and ceiling.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:26 PM   #6
Sharia
Pile O'Bones

Sharia has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That's such a good idea (I think I might steal it [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] he he he...)
Any whoo I suggest you take a look at the pictures from the LOTR and see what they have done.
Sharia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 02:28 PM   #7
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

How about painting the room like the inside of a Hobbit hole and then you can have fake windows with views of the Shire and your own furniture becomes part of it all.
Then again take no notice of me I have a 3ft high Speedy Gonzales painted on my kitchen wall.
Old 05-01-2002, 02:38 PM   #8
ESTEN
Animated Skeleton

ESTEN has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ESTEN
Sting

My only suggestion would be to use earth tones, you don't see many bright colors in the shire, also keep it comfortable and simple, the hobbits didn't use too much around as decoration, rather everything that was there served a purpose. Good luck [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
ESTEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 02:42 PM   #9
Araen
Haunting Spirit

Araen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When I get enought money my room is turning into Lothlorien... I hope. The Shire is actually a coolidea, and not to hard.
"Where is the horse and the rider, where is the horn that was blowing, they have passed like rain on the mountains, like wind in the meadow, the days are damned in the west? behind the hills? there are shadows... "
Araen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 03:55 PM   #10
Mayla Took
Wight

Shield

OOOHH!! Those are great ideas! I love the inside the Hobbit hole idea. and the green door. Maybe I can paint it like a round door and the exsposed parts like the hill that the hole is set in. I am geting so excited! If you have anymore ideas, I would LOVE to hear them!

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"

Old 05-01-2002, 04:50 PM   #11
Mayla Took
Wight

Ring

I know! If any of you are into Dwarves, you can paint your door to match the gate of Moria! I think I might just do that to one of my doors!

Old 05-01-2002, 04:54 PM   #12
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Thumbs up

Now that would be cool!
Old 05-02-2002, 01:32 PM   #13
Arod
Animated Skeleton

Arod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arod Send a message via Yahoo to Arod
Sting

It's funny you should mention that. This month I had the opportunity to redo my bedroom! FINALY! I am an artist (I do freelance) and have always wanted murals on my walls. This is what I suggest. Plan out where your funiture is going to go. Then draw your ideas on paper. Is this going to be all 4 walls or just 1? Are you including the ceiling as well in your mural?

If so planning it out is essential. I included the ceiling of my room. I painted it dark blue and used glitter (gold) as clusters of stars and galaxies. Then I put stars on the ceiling (those glow in the dark ones). For my walls, they have vines that stretch from the floor to the ceiling with birds on the branches and I put a spiderweb and blooming vines over the doorway. I will be painting the doors leading to Moria on my closet doors as soon as I can get a good enough picture of the inscription at the top (the elvish one).

If you like hobbits I suggest plenty of green for the rolling hills and grass. Also you may want to pick up some of the colors you will be using in your room as flowers and such in the landscape.

Lorien would be wonderful to do but quite a project! With all of the archetecture and the trees. But it would be something to see! Rivendell would be awesome too!

Or you could do each wall a pictorial of different places in Middle Earth. One for Hobbiton, one for Lorien, Mordor, Rivendell, Moria, etc... The possibilities are endless.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:50 PM   #14
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I want to paint wooden beams on the walls now! and put shutters and heavy drapes at the windows. And have wooden furniture... Mmm. But no - we have *purple* walls...! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2002, 03:24 PM   #15
Niere-Teleliniel
Haunting Spirit

Niere-Teleliniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My friend is doing her bedroom as Rivendell, and she had a good idea: Put thin wooden panels over your walls and paint the mural on them. That way, if you ever have to move or if you decide to change your room, you can just take 'em down. Also, at the end of The Hobbit, Tolkien drew a picture of Bilbo in his home, you may want to check that out for ideas [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~Douglas Adams
Niere-Teleliniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2002, 04:55 PM   #16
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

i would paint an open round door on one of your walls with a view from it like out the door of bag end, and definitely with a road that goes ever on disappearing into the horizon. then decorate the rest of the room like the inside of a hobbit house.

sounds like a fun project!!!!
Old 05-02-2002, 08:13 PM   #17
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

How about something like this?

hobbit hole
Old 05-03-2002, 06:15 PM   #18
Nevfeniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nevfeniel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Hm, the closest thing I have is a picture of Lorien that I painted in art class sitting up on my shelf. Oh, to be a real artist like everyone else. . . *sigh*

Here's a picture of the image I used as the guide to paint my picture:

If you can imagine this as tempra paint on paper without the people, then that's basically what my painting looks like.

[ May 06, 2002: Message edited by: Nevfeniel ]
Consider the purr a variety of audible tranquilizer. [. . .] For a few of us, there is one more purr, a secret purr. When we combine our secret purrs, we produce the Purr of Power. And that is simply the amplified amity we feel as furred and purred beings.
Nevfeniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 11:50 AM   #19
Mayla Took
Wight

Thumbs up

That picture is perfect Raefindel! Thank you so much! By the way of pictures, do you know of anywhere else I can get more pics of HObbit holes?

Old 05-04-2002, 01:54 PM   #20
Tarthang
Wight

Tarthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For more pictures of Hobbit holes try the Brothers Hildebrandt website (sorry don't know the URL) and look at the images from the Tolkien calendars.
If you're gonna do the room as the inside of a hobbit hole, why not try to make the rooms doorway part of a larger sized Hobbit door. Depending on where the doorway is located, of course.
Tarthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 02:43 PM   #21
greyhavener
Wight

greyhavener has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

For a Hobbit room I think I'd go with earth tones: terracotta floors, maybe mossy green walls with spanish moss or vines hung across the windows for a valance. I think some sort of shadowbox with a pipe collection in it would be fun. Maybe some carved or glass mushrooms on a tabletop. Another table could hold a tray with teapot & cups as if it's time for one of the many hobbit meals. If I had the money I'd get some of that rustic bent wood furniture and add floral pillows for pops of color. Maybe an indoor windowbox with a flower garden in it. I love the Hobbit room idea...my living room could use something new.

My eight-year old son wanted something Elven but masculine. We went with lighter green walls with silver gray trees painted on one wall and gray baseboards and door trim. We sponged leaves on the trees and vines all around the top of the walls. We used his distressed oak furniture with oak shelving for his LOTR action figures. He sleeps on the top of a bunk bed with play space underneath. The play space has a movie poster of Legolas. We eventually want to add some more Tolkien art. He wants to cover the ceiling with a sort of gray netting and put leaves between the netting & existing ceiling, but I can't figure out how to work around the light, so I haven't done that part yet either.
Old 05-04-2002, 05:00 PM   #22
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

I've never seen other "hobbit hole" pictures, but I found a good one of Lothlorien.

Lothlorien

Tell me what you think.
Old 05-04-2002, 11:28 PM   #23
Mayla Took
Wight

Tolkien

Wow! That is an amazing picture of Lothlorien! I love it! It is simply beautiful! I wish I had that kind of talent to be able to bring to life such a place in art! Thank you for sharing!

Old 05-04-2002, 11:36 PM   #24
Lady Death
Pile O'Bones

Lady Death has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This sounds so cool. I wish I could decorate our garden like the ones in Rivendell.
Mankind's worst nightmare in the form of it's sweetest dream, Lady Death, is ever a woman of contradictions- and with good reason for the blood of both angels and demons flows through her veins. The life of the woman who would become known as Death began as a young girl named Hope in Medieval Europe. Hope was the daughter of Matthias, a 666th generation descendant of the fallen angels, and Marion, a woman so pure her bloodline reached to Heaven
Lady Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 12:08 AM   #25
Lady Death
Pile O'Bones

Lady Death has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Are there any online stores that sell Fantasy decor??
Mankind's worst nightmare in the form of it's sweetest dream, Lady Death, is ever a woman of contradictions- and with good reason for the blood of both angels and demons flows through her veins. The life of the woman who would become known as Death began as a young girl named Hope in Medieval Europe. Hope was the daughter of Matthias, a 666th generation descendant of the fallen angels, and Marion, a woman so pure her bloodline reached to Heaven
Lady Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 12:25 AM   #26
Mayla Took
Wight

Tolkien

I havn't heard of any Lady Death. Maybe some really nice wall paper stores have LOTR stuff. But who knows!

Old 05-05-2002, 01:00 PM   #27
Auriel Haevasawen
Wight

Auriel Haevasawen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, I liked the room with stars and things, my office is done out as a StarWars zone and I painted it with a blue ceiling, glow in the dark stars and a five foot high Darth Vader. That's got nothing to do with LOTR I know but I'm just showing that painting your house to reflect your own imagination is normal. I don't see a problem with purple walls whoever was complaining. My bedroom is rapidly turning into Rivendell and is VERY purple. You can get books of the Hildebrand (can't spell) brothers illustrations if you're looking for more hobbit hole bits.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:37 AM   #28
The Half-Hobbit
Haunting Spirit

The Half-Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Half-Hobbit
Sting

If you're going for a hobbit theme, I suggest easy access to the pantry. A green door and shiny brass doorkno are a must! Maye you should scratch Gandalf's mesage about a burglar for hire on the other side of the door....
Now I want to decorate my house in a Tolkien theme too!
But really I'm not actually your friend,
But I am.
-They Might Be Giants
The Half-Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 01:51 PM   #29
Lady Ancalima
Pile O'Bones

Location: Born in Rivendell; living currenty in Minas Tirith.
Lady Ancalima has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lady Ancalima
Sting

I wish I could decorate my room like that. My walls are already blue, but my parents would NEVER let me paint it. I dont see why, it can be that hard-since my dad is an artist. But I guess I could ask...
Old 05-07-2002, 05:17 PM   #30
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Thumbs up

Lady Ancalima, welcome. Sigh. I wish I could, too, but I rent. My parents wouldn't have it.
The only thing I could suggest, Miss Mayla (as there are already so many awesome suggestions) is to go to a place like
Sideshowtoy.comand get some cool accents! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Quote:
He turned and saw that Sam was now standing beside him, looking round with a puzzled expresson, and rubbing his eyes as if he was not sure that he ws awake.
"It's sunlight and bright day, right enough." he said, I thought that Elves were all for moon and stars: but this is more elvish than I ever heard tell of. I feel as if I was inside a song, if you take my meaning. "
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 11:29 AM   #31
busybee
Haunting Spirit

Location: Mirkwood, Lothlorien...dream...actually the middle of nowhere...Mumbai
busybee has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Ok i know this is kinda old but anyway......
How about doing one on Smaugs Lair with the treasure and stuff.....just a randomn idea...
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2002, 01:56 PM   #32
Rachael

Tolkien

if i was decorating my room, i'd have it like the scenery of Rivendell, or the shire.

Allana [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2002, 02:53 PM   #33
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

if i were turning my room into a hobbit hole... i like the previous ideas of panelling, and terracotta... if outside, in the shire, the lower quarter of the walls paint green for the grass, the other 3 quarters sky blue. if ure going for a mural, u could paint on hobbit holes. or just add a distant bag end, or the street area, or fields, like the area frodo was sat in at the beginning of the movie, fotr.

my room is predominantly silver, with lilac/purple and blueish, which in my opinion gives an ereathal... (u know the word...) ill stick to elvish... an elvish feel, and ive got loads of elvish style accessories, such as my elf dress hung up on my door. much of my room also includes posters of lotr people and woods and stuff [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] but its working out really nicely. i always end up thinking of that scene in lothlorien where galadriel is nancing about on her way to the mirror. that was very silver, if u know wat i mean.

i was also thinking of turning my house into something out of edoras... but im not sure wat to do yet. if anyone has any ideas, could they please pass them on?
Old 12-01-2002, 04:28 PM   #34
Raefindel
Sword of the Spirit

Sting

Well I for one can't wait till they come up with Middle-Earth Wallpaper! Imagine- the doors of Moria, the Flets of Lothlorien, the waterfalls of Rivendell... You'd think with as many members as we have we could convince a wallpaper company to hear us...