The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2003, 10:54 AM   #1
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Boots Your Middle-earth

Does anyone find when you read a Tolkien book you actually enter Middle-earth and forget about all your problems, you actually forget that you exist. I was speaking to a friend and she agreed. Then she mentioned that she likes to go to a forest that look’s like Middle-earth (the way she see’s it in her head). I went home and thought about it. Behind my backyard is this forest. When I walk in it, I am waiting for a hobbit to hop from behind a tree because it looks like Middle-earth. I also noticed that I often go to that forest when I am troubled and blue. I could spend hours there just sitting and thinking or even taking the Lord of the Rings and reading it there. I am sure everyone has a place like that, where is YOUR Middle-earth?
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 12:00 PM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Not far from here is a wooded area and a stream. It is beautiful when the mossy ground is covered in little flecks of sunlight.
Nearby is a sheltered lane leading out into woodland and beyond to the moors and the coast. It is a walk that is much like setting off from the Shire and heading along the road where the hobbits hide from the Wraiths. One of those sorts of journeys. Wraiths included.

There is a lot more outside the area, but not within easy access. I would have to look into a horse n' cart license before I thought about visiting these sites.
There are a lot of waterfall sites. Nowhere in ME in particular, but very idyllic and peaceful. Great for building mock Rivendell sets.
The place I visit most frequently is the moor. It has its very own Amon Sul, and a lot of imaginary Rohirrim charging around at top speed, threatening to trample you. It also bears an uncanny resemblance to the dead marshes, although the only dead things in those waters are dead bugs.

Last edited by Meela; 10-17-2004 at 09:43 AM.
Meela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 01:07 PM   #3
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

My position is somewhat like Meela's. I live in a town where there aren't really many forests around. I have a small patch of "forest" if you want to call it that behind my house, but I can rarely ever go to it because you have to walk a while to get there. My neighborhood is just house after house all tightly space apart. It's not very Middle Earth at all.

I love going over to my friend's house, though. She lives about 10 miles away from me. Her road is a huge countryside with only about 3 houses on it, and one of them is deserted. She has a huge front and back yard which are both rolling hills. That part reminds me of the Shire. Behind her house is an actual forest! A large one! Her forest is my Mirkwood...or Lothlorien...or just a forest of the Shire. I wish I could live in her house. It is my perfect place.

To make up for my lack of Middle Earth, though, I had an idea. The inside of my closet has bare, white, ugly looking walls. I am trying to convince my mom to let me paint it this summer. I have an idea to do one wall with rolling hills {Shire} fading into another wall with mountains overlooking a large river {Anduin} fading into another wall with a large forest {Lorien/Mirkwood}. The other wall has my door on it so I'll probably just finish the first and last walls fading into that one. My closet will soon be my Middle Earth packed into one tiny space. I will have mountains, hills, and forests inside an area of about 10 feet wide.

With having my soon-to-come closet being finished and possibly every once in a while going into the "forest" behind my house, I think I have a pretty good Middle Earth. That is, if I use my immagination enough I will. But I guess that's the breaks of living in a city instead of a rural country area.

[ April 26, 2003: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 01:18 PM   #4
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

I also live in a town, with sparse vegetation, unless you consider the orange trees. But in the distance are some beautiful hills, that in the Spring do indeed look like the rolling hills of the Shire, and in the far distance, on a clear, Winter day, you can see what I call my Caradhras. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 01:24 PM   #5
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow, Eruwen, you sound just like me :-)
I have a friend who lives in the middle of nowhere. forests, fields, open space, beautiful.
Old 04-26-2003, 02:17 PM   #6
Daewen
Wight

Location: Stuck inside an Aquafina bottle...HELP! ...seriously, I'm getting claustrophobic
Daewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daewen
Sting

I'm very lucky...my middle Earth is just out of my back yard. I live in front of a bike trail, and if I climb up the hill in my back yard, push through the couple of trees, and go on the bike trail and walk a little, I get to see all of middle earth. First there's a huge feild with grass so long you can lay down and hide in it. It makes you feel as small as a hobbit. That'd be the Shire. Next is the forest by the River, which would be Rivendell. The trees there aren't too thick, but there are still a lot of them and with the river running through, it looks a lot like Rivendell. Then on the other side of the path (still connected to the River) are a whole bunch of trees, that's much thicker than "Rivendell" which I call Fangorn. The trees on that side look much older and are bigger and sometimes I half expect them to talk to me like Ents would. I guess I've got it really good, but it's weird...most people in my neighborhood don't like being around so much nature. It seems like I'm the only one that appreciates it. How weird, huh?
Daewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 02:49 PM   #7
Eruwen

Tolkien

Yes, Daewen, you are one of the lucky few among us. What country do you live in to have such beautiful landscapes so close together? And ah, yes, Meela, don't you hate it? You always want to live in the ME paradise, but your best friend gets it.
Old 04-26-2003, 02:55 PM   #8
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sting

Its amazing that even though most of you live in the city, you all do have something that is like a middle-earth [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. Daewen you are very lucky! And I know that feeling when your friend lives in a place that is just like...wow [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Niluial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 03:18 AM   #9
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I live in SF, which is a crowded city, but it can depend on where you are. I do have places that resemble Middle-earth, both in where I live now (same place I grew up in), and the place I lived in for a few years whil my house was being remodeled. They are mainly forest-type things or little things like other people's houses and gardens. But I think that there are many elements that contribute to my feeling of ME in this earth. I say that the fog has the biggest impact. If you've ever been to SF, you'l know what I'm talking about. The whether has a great effect. Sometimes certain places look more like places in ME when it's sunny, or when it's rainy. But those forsety places I hang out on [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] look like anywhere between the shire and Bree, which means it includes, the Barrow-downs, and The Old Forest. Maybe that's why I like that part of the book so much. And, rain can add to that effect too.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 05:49 AM   #10
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Tolkien

My Middle Earth? Hmm, well I suppose it has to be Cosmeston Lake. There is a deep forest and it goes on for a couple of miles. It has a carved wooden dragon in the middle and when you are free from the forest, there is a huge stretch of land. I just run across it, pretending I am one of the fellowship. Luckily, my brother likes that game too [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
"And he sang to them, now in the Elven tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness."
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 09:58 AM   #11
LINZIELF
Pile O'Bones

Location: Marching to Mordor - 590.5 miles-in the Barren Hills
LINZIELF has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] The Purbeck Hills in Dorset - they even have the ruins of Corfe Castle masquerading as Weathertop. Lots of lovely barrows and downs to climb and plenty of trees. Only thing that spoils the effect is the presence of the sea on one side (complete with the cries of the gulls)! most of my walk to rivendell is being undertaken here as it is the closest place i can find that matches my idea of Middle Earth.
Old 04-27-2003, 10:05 AM   #12
Daewen
Wight

Location: Stuck inside an Aquafina bottle...HELP! ...seriously, I'm getting claustrophobic
Sting

Eruwen, I live in the United States, in Wisconsin to be exact. Most peope think that Wisconsin in full of farmers, hicks, and ft beer drinking cheese eating lazy people, but really it has more woodlands than farms. It's wonderful here, although I despise the winters.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:17 AM   #13
Eruwen

Tolkien

Wisconsin? Wow, I never would have suspected. It must get really cold though, that is one reason I like NC...where I live. And wow, LINZIELF, you have it good don't you? When I graduate college in about 7 years, I am planning on moving somewhere where it has my Middle Earth. I don't know where, probably Ireland or Switzerland or some other land out there that has beautiful landscapes like that. Truly, I'm sick of the city. I want country more than anything.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:41 AM   #14
Daewen
Wight

Silmaril

Wisconsin actually isn't that cold. Right now it's 70 degrees (farenhiet) outside, which is about average for our spring weather. The thing about the weather here is that it's extremly unpredictable. Earlier this month, we had snow that went halfway up my calves, but now, the grass is green, the birds are singing, and its nice outside. I wouldn't say thats it's too cold here really. Our winters are usually in the thirties which is about average, but you never know what the weather will be like next. For example, we had a green Christmas, it was 45 outside, and like I said, earlier this month is was snowing like crazy. I think it's safe to say that spring has sprung here for good though.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:19 AM   #15
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My middle-earth exists somewhere other than this world. It exists sort of in an alternate dimension as a vast, uncharted land. It's really hard to explain what it looks like. But one thing I find throughout different places throughout this realm is that thay each reflect some kind of element, for example Lothlorien is Water and Air, Rivendell is purely Air, Moria is Dust and Fire. Middle-earth is mostly a beautiful, pure land (with the exception of the places where the orcs and such live), untainted by the greed of civilization. It is serenity and beauty, yet also danger at the same time. Like I said, it's hard to explain, and I'm not very good at explaining things so sorry if it's a bit unclear.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:53 PM   #16
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

He he heeee.....Rivendell is the right corner of me garden and Lorien is the left one , mines of Moria are to be found in my basement and the Golden Halls of Rohan is my living room's second name [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Ok . That was a joke . But if no-jokin' my room is my Bag-End or my sh*t hole it's called sometimes and my country side hause is the other part for there is a forest which could be considered Lorien , there are plains of Rohan (some hundreds of square meters of meadow and I would like to have a horse there) , and there is house of Elrond (upper room of bath house (my second room)) and the green green grass of Shire ..... Lovely...... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Great!Now I sound like a mad poet... [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2003, 06:09 PM   #17
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring

Am I the only one who's surroundings have more in common with Mordor?

I'm in Birmingham, UK, which was Tolkien's inspiration for the desecration of the Shire, having been the hotbed of the industrial revolution and heartland of the 'dark Satanic mills'. I must admit that it's improved a lot now and some parts of the centre are becoming Minas-Tirith-esque (even Bill Clinton backed it as next European City of Culture but we lost out to those damned Scousers).

I work in a 9-storey 1960s building which seems the embodiment of Lugburz or the 'Dark Tower'.
Old 06-05-2003, 07:30 PM   #18
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

My Middle-Earth is at my cousin's house. Across the road is a state park, and I go over there to run in the mornings. Running through those forests and over the creeks gives me solitude of mind and lets me get in some physical labour.
Normally though, my Middle-Earth is in my mind. I can escape there in thought whenever I'm nervous or uncomfortable. It's quite convenient to have my M-E in my mind, because I can instantly go there when I want, not having to go physically to a special place. I was hesitant at first to see the movies because I was afraid to shatter the image of M-E that I had in my mind, but all in all it wasn't too far off. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 06-10-2003, 03:16 PM   #19
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Ug. My condolences, Rumil.

My Middle-earth..... For inside, it's my bedroom. That's where all my stuff is (i.e. books, swords, pictures, etc.) and where I can go to hide from all the anit-LotR people I know (several that I'm actually related to! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] ) Outside, it's the big tree in my backyard. It's an umbrella willow, with those tiny, skinny little leaves, and I'll climb up there with my book and pretend I'm in Lorien.

*sigh*
Old 06-10-2003, 07:32 PM   #20
Phoenix
Pile O'Bones

Phoenix has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Phoenix
Tolkien

My Middle-Earth is near where I used to live. About a mile from my grandma's old house there was this babbling brooke and forest and I would completely forget that there was an outside world, unfortunately we moved away long before I had ever heard of The Lord of The Rings. The last time I was there, I was probably seven or eight years old.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 10:06 AM   #21
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Estella Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Estella Brandybuck
Sting

A good Middle-earth for me would have been the place I lived about six years ago. There was a hillside where we had something of a garden, with little trees and shrubs and lots of flowers, and one flat boulder where I would sit and pretend I was surrounded by fairies and unicorns. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Unfortunately, that was long before I'd ever even heard of Middle-earth.

Another good place would be where I lived... hmm... maybe ten years ago. It was a large apartment complex in Brandon, Florida; the complex surrounded a big lake, and right outside of our apartment was a beautiful weeping willow that I would sit under whenever I came home from school. It was surprisingly peaceful, considering the location. But again, this was way before I'd heard of LotR.

Right now I live in south-western Virginia, and I'm sure most people would think that that would be a very rustic and nature-y place, and that's true for the most part; but I live in a more developed neighborhood, so there aren't many places near my house to go a-Middle-earthing. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] And when I move back to Florida at the end of the month, into a very developed neighborhood, I'll have even fewer places like that. Maybe I can drive to the beach early one morning and pretend I'm at the Grey Havens...

This may sound cheesy, but I'd have to say that the place that feels the most like Middle-earth to me is wherever my closest friends are. Don't laugh, it's true! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Because the four of us are really just a bunch of hobbits - food, song, and friendship is all we care about. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ June 11, 2003: Message edited by: Estella Brandybuck ]
"But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards." - RotK

Do you enjoy reading and writing LotR fanfiction?
Estella Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 12:55 PM   #22
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My Middle-Earths:

1)My backyrad is very elven...kind of. My favourite place is under this big, ancient cherrytree. It´s so peacefull: you hear the wind rustle in the trees, birds sing and, in spring, petals fall all over you. It´s so beautiful, and very devine, in a way. I read the Sil out there last summer, and re-read LotR just now. It´s the best place to read, ever.

2)This sounds pathetic, but my city´s ice-skating rink lies totally in the open. We always call it Helcaraxe, and skate around going "We shall find the lands of Middle- Earth! We shall proceed!"

3)Last year, in France we fund this little, sleepy bay... I called it the Grey Havens, only there weren´t any boats. It was soo beautiful, and very elven. You´d keep expecting this boat appearing before you...but it never did. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

For me, every place tha holds a little magic is a Middle Earth place. It doesn´t have to look like Rivendell, or anything. It´s enough if there´s a cresent smell in the air, or a creek where you don´t expect it. In my eyes, that is all part of Middle Earth.

[ June 11, 2003: Message edited by: Manardariel ]
Old 06-11-2003, 01:11 PM   #23
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Estella Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Estella Brandybuck
Sting

Quote:
For me, every place tha holds a little magic is a Middle Earth place. It doesn´t have to look like Rivendell, or anything. It´s enough if there´s a cresent smell in the air, or a creek where you don´t expect it. In my eyes, that is all part of Middle Earth.
Beautifully put. I agree with you completely. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] And that bay you described sounds wonderful. This is a really great topic - I love hearing about everyone's own Middle-earth. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
"But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards." - RotK

Do you enjoy reading and writing LotR fanfiction?
Estella Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 03:45 AM   #24
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My Middle-Earth must be a quiet beach with some adjoining grassland.Little people over there,mostly birds and cows,sometimes seals. The whole place brings peace and silence to you.Only birds squealing and the sound of the waves.I love that place.
Old 06-14-2003, 04:29 AM   #25
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My middle-Earth is a place I have only been to twice, called the Hare Krishna Temple. Its actually the grounds i love. There is a small sorta mini-garden, and its surrounded by large rocks and its got loadsa rocks in it. (Not a verry good description i know) I call it Gondolin.
Theres also a massive forest. This is Lorien, until it becomes think and wild, where it becomes Lothlorien.
Theres also an artificial lake, which is just peaceful and reminds me of ME for that reason. And a very small canal thing. And a rolling hill. The main thing that reminds me of ME is how its all so peaceful, theres no load noises, no disturbances. I love it.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 02:04 PM   #26
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Hmmm... let me think...

Oh now I know. There is a park near my house on the banks of the James River that always seems to resemble the banks of Anduin at Parth Galen. There is a forest clearing that looks sort of like where Boromir was killed and there are some old stone walls and stuff that could be the Seat of Seeing.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:12 PM   #27
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

This isn't technically a 'Middle-Earth' place, but having just returned from a week at the seaside, I can see why the Teleri chose to reside in Alqualonde. What a wonderful place to think and read, to walk and sing. Waking and falling asleep to the sounds of the crashing waves was heavenly. The many voices of the waves joined together in a glorious unity is almost more than I can fathom in any poem I dared to write. So, the seaside would be my Aman. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 06-26-2003, 06:27 PM   #28
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

My Middle Earth would have to be my bedroom. Or at least, it will be.

See, hopefully, we are going to be moving out of our current house soon, and my parents have almost promised that I can paint the bedroom that I get. I already have plans.

There would be a tree in the corner with its branches spreading out and covering about half of the ceiling, though one could still see patches of blue sky. My bed will be painted a deep forest green, my dresser matching, and the bedspread, etc., will be in shades of green and grey. On the walls, there will be a forest, either at dawn or dusk, with mist rising from the ground and a few shapes that suggest elves, but are not quite elves. The closet door will have a copy of the Doors of Durin on them, just because I like that picture. And I want to have a shimmering bead curtain hanging at the door that is reminiscent of a waterfall. Also one of those little fountains, to give the "waterfall" sound.

Until we move, however, I will have to be satisfied with the ME in my dreams.
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 07:13 PM   #29
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Eye

Hmm... I don't really have a ME. I live in a town that doesn't really have forests or anything resembling ME. However, I do agree that when I'm reading, I have my own ME in my head. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2003, 01:19 PM   #30
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

My Middle Earth is when I go for a hike in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. There are many places that remind me of places in Middle Earth, and when I trip on a root, I think the old ent of a tree lifted his toe to trip me, being unpleased with mankind and all.

I took one suvch hike a couple weeks ago, and when I get my film developed, I will post some Middle Earthy pics. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 11:30 PM   #31
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've really enjoyed all the descriptions, outer and inner! It is important to have that refuge, and I feel for you, Rumil, having to work in Lugburz! Perhaps you can pop over to Ithilien sometime! Oddly enough, Birmingham, Alabama reminds me of Mordor in some places (downtown industries). Maybe its the name? There are other places in the city that are breathtaking!

I actually live in a place that could be Middle Earth quite easily--120 acres of mostly forested land in the middle of nowhere, Tennessee, although farms surround it, and there is always the sound of heavy equipment scraping large slate and limestone rocks to contend with. Also stray cows and coyotes, snakes, turtles, groundhogs, goats, deer, UFOs, you know, the usual! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] My favorite ME place, however, is a very hidden area flanked by rocks and rough walls of fallen cedars; I call it Rivendell, and it is hidden quite well. When I first found it, I had trouble returning to it. Tiny trickles of water fall from the interstices of the rocks, and it is a natural 'room' of sorts. Above Rivendell is the shelf of rocks, one of which I call "Arwen's Rock" and I sit and watch the woods and write from there when I am in greatest need of escape. There is an area next to Rivendell that I have not yet explored thoroughly, as it is dangerous going to get to, but it has huge moss covered rocks and VERY tall trees; it makes me feel hobbit scale, as if I were wandering in Fangorn, or perhaps it could be Wellinghall! Haven't found the Entwash though.

Before you all groan and wonder how I got so lucky, keep in mind the down side of living in the middle of nowhere--there are ZERO jobs, and the living standard is not really very high unless you are of independent means. I don't own this place, but live here by the good graces of a family member. No insurance, rural phone company, because the big Bell companies thought no one lived out here! I dream of someday having a hobbit hole here, and I want to construct the Mirror of Galadriel somewhere near Rivendell. Lots of beauty, lots of places to break one's neck if one is not careful! What a wonderful place!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 02:56 AM   #32
Sauron the deciever
Animated Skeleton

Sauron the deciever has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sauron the deciever
Sting

I live in New Zealand so finding middle earth is pretty easy. Im 5 minutes walking distance from 2 beaches and a couple of native parks. I also have a pretty big garden and theres a massive Pohutukawa tree in an overgrown grassy paddock just behind my house. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Sauron the deciever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 11:51 AM   #33
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

New Zealand is Middle Earth according to PJ [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Birmingham, Alabama reminds me of Mordor in some places (downtown industries).
I am reminded of Isengard whenever I drive the West Seattle bridge and see the Bethleham Steel mill going fuul on... hot iron stench.. steam rising.. noise... yep a piece if Isengard.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:04 PM   #34
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

I am so jealous of you who have forests and hills and such around. I live in a moderate sized town and there is very little vegetation. The closest forest is a couple hours drive. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] There is a nice park with some trees, but it is a good drive as well, probably about a half hour and I can't drive,so that doesn't really help. When I am upset I usually just lock myself in my room or take a walk. Lotr alway helps me forget my problems I usually read it when I am feeling down. I do not know what I would do without it!
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 06:26 PM   #35
Orogaerion
Pile O'Bones

Orogaerion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orogaerion
Sting

i think i live in the most remote place when you compare it to ME, i mean there is no place you can feel like you are in ME, the only place i can think of that looks like ME is a ****** place where my grandma lives thats just like Isengard with one large plant spewing out smoke and steem
bbrr

i envy you people
Old 07-23-2003, 08:34 PM   #36
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I sometimes go for hikes in the mountains and between the great views, the deep forests, and the waterfalls, that would have to be my Middle Earth. I don't know any specific place it resembles, though. Possibly the Ered Luin?
Old 07-23-2003, 10:14 PM   #37
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I live in Maryland and, sadly, all the hospitable woods in the area are being overdeveloped. Growing up I lived only about fifty miles away from where Professor Tolkien grew up, and my town had a very rural and Shire-like quality, although growth and development began to encroach on it as i entered into my teens. In Maryland I rarely have a chance to be alone with nature and rarely have glimpses of Middle Earth-like terrain. There was a particular waterfall that I used to visit at Sugerloaf Mountain, about an hour off from my house, and the landscape there seemed to be a lot like the Trollshaws in the Fellowship, or perhaps the land in the valley of Imladris; rocky, serene, tall trees and short grass, moss and roots, ponds and pools... Sadly though it has become a bit of a tourist destination and I often find litter and leftovers from picnics strwen about (that is, if I do not find the picnickers themselves there [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] ).
Old 07-24-2003, 09:45 AM   #38
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Sting

Wow Lyta, that sounds really beautiful and majestic. I wish I could see it sometime. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] *Sigh*
Old 07-24-2003, 02:08 PM   #39
purplefluffychainsaw
Wight

purplefluffychainsaw has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to purplefluffychainsaw
Tolkien

I'm kinda lucky coz I live right in the middle of a village that is so Hobbity sometimes I swear its hobbition. And it has all the slow old people. And its close to a place called Buckland (Okay Buckland Hill. Its close enough...) But anyway, theres a mini wood behind my house and I've often been caught singing in elvish there. Also theres the area around my archer feild. The only thing that spoils that is the moterway behind it, but when I'm doing archery I normally flick into dream mode anyway so I don't hear it.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:50 PM   #40
Maluriel
Pile O'Bones

Maluriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The backyard outside my aunt's house that takes a secret passage to get into. Also, the park near my house. Let me explain how this became magical: I walked by a large bush there that had a passageway in it, like it would lead to a house, and I decided I'd check that out later. I came back later and it was gone. I'm constantly looking for magic in everything, and forests are especially easy to find that. Like C.S. Lewis more or less said (even though I'm 17): "Children are not disinterested in normal forests because they are not magical like the ones in stories, but find more magic in normal forests than before."

Maluriel, Varya Quendelion