The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-17-2005, 03:40 AM   #441
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelob
There are the mound-builders, they lived along the Mississippi River at around the time of the middle ages. The mound-builders didn't quite build barrows they built ceremonial mounds (hence their name), but it's probably the closest in that sense...
In South America the Incas mumified their dead and continued to 'worship' them (but that's not really the best word...it's more like they treated them much the same as if they were still alive...spoke with them, brought them food, and I think there were some celebrations when they brought all their old rulers out of their tombs for the day)...
This is all I know off that's similar, though I wouldn't be supprised at 'barrow-ish' ideas appearing elsewhere in the americas...
I would suppose then, that the 'Mexican Day of the Dead' celebrations come from the Inca civilisation? That's interesting, as it is said that the ancient european cultures used to revere their ancestors by leaving food outside barrows and other tombs, even going so far as to hold celebrations in their honour, believing them to be very much still 'alive'. And in the UK there is Silbury Hill, which is seemingly nothing more than a huge mound built to 'enhance' the landscape for some spiritual purpose. Ii fascinates me how common ideas are found to be shared between cultures thousands of miles and years apart.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:04 AM   #442
Soronumë
Pile O'Bones

Soronumë has just left Hobbiton.
^^ I'm from FINLAND! mwahah.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:43 AM   #443
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I'm also from Finland. I'm from Helsinki, the capital.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 02:59 PM   #444
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
I'm from Canada, eh! (hehe)
Old 02-17-2005, 04:28 PM   #445
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Originally posted by Fordim Who Is Not Biased Whatsoever

Quote:
Canadian women are the best looking women in the world.
I shall quote an indisputable source, one which is widely known and famed in all the most posh circles:

Quote:
I've been all around this great big world and I've seen all kinds of girls
But I couldn't wait to get back in the States, back to the cutest girls in the world
~California Girls by the Beach Boys
See? You can't argue with Brian Wilson.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 06:50 PM   #446
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
well a european can, and he said that Canadian girls are the best
Old 02-18-2005, 10:41 AM   #447
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
1420!

Quote:
Canada (unlike every nation in Europe and the United States) has never lost a war (including the one we fought with the US when we opened up a big old can of whoop *** on y'all).
It’s the proudest thing in our history because countries are like super competitive men who only value the fights they’ve won. Personally, I think it’s the lack of wars we’ve been in that makes it impressive.

Quote:
The oldest corporation in the entire world is The Hudson's Bay Company (Canadian).
Better known as today as the Bay, Zellers and Home Outfitters. I absolutely love this part of our history.

Quote:

All Canadians are fleet of foot and possessed of extraordinary grace and intelligence.
Where the natives all are happy and the lakes are fresh and clean,
There is no unemployment and no one is mean.
In the summer there’s no mosquitoes,
And the winters are never cold,
There is no clear-cut longing and no ozone hole,
Oh in Canada, your leaders are so swell,
In Canada, no one ever goes to Hell.

Quote:
You Poor and Fortunate person
Thanks Shelob, I do consider myself fortunate because like you I am also cold all the time, bad circulation I think, Thanks Mom and Dad. Though you get snow every year like clockwork, I’m guessing you don’t live in the Prairies where friends of mine had snow in August!
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?

Last edited by Ainaserkewen; 02-18-2005 at 01:15 PM.
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 12:29 PM   #448
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Define interesting, Mr Hedgethistle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
Some Interesting Facts About Canada That I Have Already Inflicted On The Downs But Will Do So Again Here

Merci pour les autres

Thsi may help ... or not

http://www.aaaugh.com/jokes/cultural_differences.html

A varient of this was given me by my American flat mate several years ago. The situation has changes slightly in that we now have 5 terrestrial channels and we have managed to beat the Aussies occasionally ..... once notably (thank you mr Wilkinson )

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:03 PM   #449
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Standing amidst the slaughter I have wreaked upon the orcs
Neurion has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad
is it now...well one thing that caught my eye was not so long ago, maybe it was one of my teachers, but anyways, he said that if humans bled oil, U.S. will be the most humanitarian nation in the world...
Hey Gil! You still owe me an explanation!

"And a cold voice rang forth from the blade.

Yea, I will drink thy blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."
Neurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:20 PM   #450
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
http://www.aaaugh.com/jokes/cultural_differences.html

A varient of this was given me by my American flat mate several years ago. The situation has changes slightly in that we now have 5 terrestrial channels and we have managed to beat the Aussies occasionally ..... once notably (thank you mr Wilkinson )
Those are HILARIOUS!!! They have all four countries spot on.

I was especially fond of the sports portrayal. That is so true of us. We obsess about hockey from the start of the season, to the end of the season, and in-between. We obsess about the American teams playing for the cup named after a British Lord (Stanley).

Gil-galad, if no one else here, will well remember all the car flags sporting the Flaming C that were driving around our fair province last May and June.

Hmm... I wonder who would win a hockey game, Gondor or Arnor. Somehow I can picture a crowd of screaming, red jersey-clad Arnorians rowdily cheering on the Fornost Flames in a Game 7 game against the Pelargir Lightning....

*Sigh. Remembers the playoffs.... Even though that's the only hockey he's ever really paid any attention to.*
Old 02-18-2005, 03:22 PM   #451
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
well my teach says the U.S. are only in Iraq for the oil, they are totally ignoring all other things happening in the world, for example in sudan, no u.s. there to help them...no us.s gov't help for the tsunami either, all american-based private companies doing the help...
Perhaps your teacher is a wee bit misinformed...

Must ... not ... get ... political ...
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:23 PM   #452
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Hmm... I wonder who would win a hockey game, Gondor or Arnor. Somehow I can picture a crowd of screaming, red jersey-clad Arnorians rowdily cheering on the Fornost Flames in a Game 7 game against the Pelargir Lightning....
Ah, but where would they get the ice?
always eating chicken?
Old 02-18-2005, 03:23 PM   #453
Gil-Galad

Fornost Flames...thats great....
Old 02-18-2005, 03:32 PM   #454
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainaserkewen
Ah, but where would they get the ice?
Well, if I remember my Silmarillion right, Melkor was a big ice-maker at one time. Perhaps the executors of the Utumno Estate (Messrs. Gorthaur, Balrog, & Smaug) sold the company. I can imagine the EHL (Elven Hockey League) having been interesting in purchasing it to provide an arena for the Lindon Canucks and the Rivendell Maple Leaves. Or perhaps Cirdan went into the ice-and-zamboni business after that disastrous foray into discovering the north-east passage. THAT was quite a mission. One king and two palantiri never seen again, and the Ring of Barahir saved only by a turn of luck...

Still, the great days of the EHL are long gone. Remember when Wayne Gretzndil played with the Annuminas Oilers? Pity they traded him to the Minas Tirith Kings....
Old 02-18-2005, 03:43 PM   #455
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

You have me in stitches Formendacil, I have to say Hockey has never been this amusing. Even the guy next to me is asking what the heck the EHL is. For the sake of pride, I didn't tell him.

Quote:
Remember when Wayne Gretzndil played with the Annuminas Oilers? Pity they traded him to the Minas Tirith Kings....
Gretzndil!

I thought about someone getting steamed of how off topic we are with this Canadian Hockey theme, but then I thought, what is the topic again? Oh yeah, where everyone is from...I'm...uh, from Canada, if you didn't know that already.
always eating chicken?
Old 02-18-2005, 03:47 PM   #456
Milady Revenwyn
Animated Skeleton

Milady Revenwyn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Milady Revenwyn Send a message via MSN to Milady Revenwyn Send a message via Yahoo to Milady Revenwyn
I belong in either Edoras or Hobbiton, however I'm originally from San Jose, CA. I currently go to school in Searcy, AR.

United States, of course. :P
Milady Revenwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 05:56 PM   #457
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Quote:
You have me in stitches Formendacil, I have to say Hockey has never been this amusing.
Hockey can be very amusing. Particularly if you don't take the game as seriously as diehard hockey fans do. Okay, so I was cheering Calgary all the way last spring, but it didn't break my heart when Tampa Bay won, and I never really watched a game before, and hardly a game since.

Quote:
I thought about someone getting steamed of how off topic we are with this Canadian Hockey theme, but then I thought, what is the topic again? Oh yeah, where everyone is from...I'm...uh, from Canada, if you didn't know that already.
I'm probably risking the wrath of the Barrow-wight just by having replied, but I'm sure that an adept BDer will turn this thread back to its original source eventually. Or else send it packing to the Mirth forum.

It IS a mirthful topic after all. I can see it going on indefinitely as the games are played out between the various teams (not all that unlike the Warg-praising thread, if I think about it...).

For example, since middle-earth is a much less pampering culture than our own, the EHLPA would not have objected to a salary cap (which might be because the EHL could hire goons... er orks... to make them play), so we would be in the middle of a hockey season right now.

One wonders how the Fornost Flames would be doing after their run at the Stewardly Cup. Daeron Sutter would likely be pushing his team just as hard, and Jarome Igindur would still be scoring a great deal (assuming his was still with the team and not traded to some expensive team like the Osgiliath Rangers), and Miika Kiprussion would still be a great goalie, but would the FIRE be there!!! Would the fans still have cause to roam the streets of Fornost in rowdy ecstasy? Would hockey fans in Bree still flock to the Prancing Pony to catch the show together? Would tickets at the Palantir Stadium still cost an arm and a leg? (To be extracted by one of the orks at the door.)

These are the questions that haunt the middle-earthian hockey fan. Well, that and whether or not he'll get in trouble for giving this thread false directions, so that it is now lost in the jungles of crossover hockey mirth, and far off the straight road leading to the location all BDers wish they hailed from: Valinor.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:18 PM   #458
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad
when did i say that!?

well my teach says the U.S. are only in Iraq for the oil, they are totally ignoring all other things happening in the world, for example in sudan, no u.s. there to help them...no us.s gov't help for the tsunami either, all american-based private companies doing the help...
Ouch, and this person still has a teaching cerificate?

Yea, I will drink thy blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."
Old 02-18-2005, 06:29 PM   #459
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
Must ... not ... get ... political ...
Good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
I'm probably risking the wrath of the Barrow-wight just by having replied, but I'm sure that an adept BDer will turn this thread back to its original source eventually. Or else send it packing to the Mirth forum.
You could always start a new thread in the Mirth forum.

In other words, please try to stick broadly to the topic at hand.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:13 PM   #460
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Formendacil et al - I have Herenistarioned a thread called "Sport in Middle Earth" in Books.. though maybe it belongs in Mirth

Old 02-21-2005, 08:10 AM   #461
Celebuial
Wight

Celebuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Celebuial
I'm from Leicester, England. I couldn't really be bothered to read all the other replies to this(there's so many pages!!!!!) so I don't know if any one else is from around here! Oh well!!!!
Boe min bango.
Celebuial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:16 PM   #462
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dûm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien

I'm sorry, Mr. Barrow-Wight and Mr. Saucepan Man, but I just have to point formendacil and other BD-er's with an interest in hockey to this site. Just a quick little off-topic note. Don't hurt me *cowers*.

go here: http://www.geocities.com/sotto-voce/caribou.html
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:23 PM   #463
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well there are assorted Brits but I can't think of anyone very close or even midlands..I am far south, Lal is North, Eomer far north... I think there are a few London-ish / commuter belt.... nothing came up on the search but who knows.. not everyone decalsre their location (for whatever reason)..

Old 02-21-2005, 02:24 PM   #464
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Well there are assorted Brits but I can't think of anyone very close or even midlands..I am far south, Lal is North, Eomer far north... I think there are a few London-ish / commuter belt.... nothing came up on the search but who knows.. not everyone decalsre their location (for whatever reason)..
I think Phervasion is from near Brum, not sure which side though. I'm in (not from, even if this comment does restart the war of the Roses ) Yorkshire, and so is davem, and Amanaduial The Archer is from near Manchester if I'm not mistaken, and narfforc is from Lancashire. So, Celebuial, there are some of us quite near to you
Old 02-21-2005, 02:34 PM   #465
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Not exactly round the corner though.... It is all North to me ... save that having roots in Warwickshire, Leicester is on the fringes of my known Universe - (I wonder if that will cause the Yorkists and Lancastrians to forget their differences in order to gang up on the southerner? I did have a friend who reckoned a mutual friend was a Northerner because she was born in Salisbury ... but I think that was a bit extreme......

Old 02-21-2005, 03:14 PM   #466
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Far North?! I should say so - Eomer is Scottish, methinks!

Leicester...that would be maybe two hours drive away from me, less by train - I live in Greater Manchester. Survey this handy map

A little closer to you is Mattius, a fellow RPG and an all around delightful fellow: he is, as he has said before on this thread, is from Sheffield. Or maybe Lady_Báin, an inhabitant of Peterborough, but I ain't seen her any time recently.

So hey, you're not alone. *stares wistfully into space
Old 02-21-2005, 04:11 PM   #467
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
Leicester is on the fringes of my known Universe - (I wonder if that will cause the Yorkists and Lancastrians to forget their differences in order to gang up on the southerner?
Such differences can be easily settled when southerners come along and 'give cheek'. Of course, I hasten to add, Lancashire did win. Wars of over five hundred years ago are not easily forgotten...
Old 02-21-2005, 05:05 PM   #468
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Surprising number of fellow North Carolin...inininiers.
In Boone, myself, at least at the present moment. Although quite proud of my California birthplace (and we don't talk about the 12 years in Iowa...)

Quote:
Canadian women are the best looking women in the world
Ok, so we can talk about it. Jack Kerouac said Iowan women were the most beautiful in the world. You gonna argue with Kerouac? Huh?

Thought not.
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Garen LiLorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 05:58 PM   #469
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Jack Kerouac said Iowan women were the most beautiful in the world.
I wish! (Iowa is but a two minute drive away from me)

In my experience though, girls from SW Omaha are much hotter than the ones across the river. Then again, Iowa is where I found my last girlfriend.

But I have to agree with Fordy on this. A ridiculously large percentage of the girls I've met from Canada were off the charts. You guys up there are blessed.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:28 PM   #470
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Thumbs up

Quote:
Canadian women are the best looking women in the world
Says who?! Well, I guess I can agree with that. Partly. My friend is from Canada and she is one of the prettiest girls I have ever seen. I think Arab women are the most beautiful though.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:27 PM   #471
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand I repeat ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
... please try to stick broadly to the topic at hand.
We wouldn't want this thread closed down now, would we?
Old 02-21-2005, 07:31 PM   #472
Gil-Galad

This Week on Off-Topic Posts, How the Where Everyone is Thread evolved into Which place has the hottest women? Iowa? Omaha? or the leading champion, Canada...
Old 02-21-2005, 10:23 PM   #473
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree The Road is my home......

From Nowhere I come, to Somewhere I go.

Where Life will lead me, I cannot know.

A warrior born, a scholar as well, treading a path 'twixt Heaven and Hell.

One ill step, I can ill afford, but yet I go on for the love of my Lord.

Last edited by Neurion; 02-21-2005 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:29 PM   #474
Beleg Cuthalion
Wight

Beleg Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
A ridiculously large percentage of the girls I've met from Canada were off the charts. You guys up there are blessed.
I wish I could see a few of them.

Quis ut Deus
Beleg Cuthalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 09:33 AM   #475
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots Taking over the shears from SaucepanMan

And Gil-Galad wondered why he didn't get a Personal Title last time round, right, SaucePanMan?

Consider it part of the skill or art of a Downer to know where the line is, and to dance nimbly there but not cross over into chat-slews or tar pits of off-topicness which mar the fertile fields of good discussion.

In short, please be good gardeners and prune the infelicitous phrases.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:29 AM   #476
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

I don't get it. I said where I'm from, and Gil-Galad accuses me of being off-topic?!?

Old 02-22-2005, 11:38 AM   #477
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ring

What ever happened to the World Map that showed where a lot of Downers lived in the World? That was interesting because then we could see which countries were "Downs Owned" as it were, or empty...like most of Antarctica. Do you think that anyone in Antarctica even surfs the internet? (random question of the morning).

And I'd also like to thank those of you solidifying Canadian hotness, now that Stalker thread is going to be growing a little.
Quote:
I wish I could see a few of them.
I'm sure that wasn't your intention Beleg(hence the smilie, I know), but that's what I first thought of.
always eating chicken?
Old 02-22-2005, 11:51 AM   #478
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
Such differences can be easily settled when southerners come along and 'give cheek'. Of course, I hasten to add, Lancashire did win. Wars of over five hundred years ago are not easily forgotten...

Well, I have to admit that I was indoctrinated at an early age by a Yorkie history teacher so I still am of the "Richard III" was stitched up brigade... and my best friend in the world is a Yorkie..... so we have more or less worked through the North - SOuth thing....

The French thing is worse.. in france I am often held personally responsible for everything since the 100 years war ...... and here some people think I must be French cos I was bilingual.... doubly damned....

Old 02-22-2005, 04:38 PM   #479
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
What ever happened to the World Map that showed where a lot of Downers lived in the World?
It vanished, unfortunately. It was pretty impressive actually - there were a surprising amount of 'Downs-owned' countries, as you put it, Ainaserkewen - world domination, here we come! But it couldn't hold more than a couple of hundred Downer points, I think, so the newew points eventually started wiping off the older ones. I can't remember exactly why, but it stopped working. Being as there was no one who seemed to have the time, facilities and knowledge to start up and maintain a new one, the map vanished.

Pity, really. Good while it lasted.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:48 PM   #480
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aman
It vanished, unfortunately.
I am sure that it's still there somewhere. Burra posted a link to it on a thread much like this one about a year ago and I went along and pinpointed myself, sadly wiping another Downer of the face of the earth in the process since, as Aman points out, it had only limited capacity.