The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2007, 10:21 AM   #41
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
still, the fact that Tom simply found her one day near the river seems to suggest that she was younger...
he was Master of his domain, and would have probably her presence if she had been there before

also, the point made by Boromir88 is very good, another fact that shows the same thing is that Bombadil is unaffected by the Ring, and so many of the laws of Middle-earth are not valid in his case
Old 01-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #42
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I'll leave the two 'Berries' to themselves . I'm afraid whatever I say about her would probably simply be made up.

TM, ahh an excellent point about the Ring. I was going to bring that up as I forgot in the last post...alas you got to it before I did. Anywho, nice find. Gandalf and Saruman are Maiar, yet they still show the effects of the Ring. Gandalf may have been able to resist it, but he definitely feared possessing the Ring know what effect it would have on him. Where Tom B, simply just doesn't fit in with the rest of the 'Middle-earthians' when it comes to the Ring...as he shows no effect to it at all! Therefor I think are Bombadil isn't from Middle-earth he just happens to be residing there at the time being. Again, nice find.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:39 AM   #43
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tom himself said:

Quote:
"Don't you know my name yet? That's the only answer. Tell me, who are you, alone, yourself and nameless?"
Quote:
"Eldest, that's what I am... Tom was here before the river and the trees; Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn. He made paths before the Big People, and saw the little People arriving. He was here before the Kings and the graves and the Barrow-wights. When the Elves passed westward, Tom was here already, before the seas were bent. He knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless - before the Dark Lord came from Outside."
If he said himself that his name is the only answer it clearly means that the passing of time, or of events in the outside world clearly don't affect him in his own little domain. However, he clearly is not immune to all that is of Middle-earth, as he clearly has feelings and needs.

I always thought...why does Tom Bombadil need to eat ?

But please, don't answer that, I don't want to completely turn this thread into another TB discussion.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:52 AM   #44
Amras Oronar

Amras Oronar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Amras Oronar
Well there's not much of a discussion left here anyway eh? I mean "Tom remembers the first raindrops" that means he was there when middle earth was creatted, and that means before the elves....
Amras Oronar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #45
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Wasn't Tom Bombadil the oldest person? He said that he was there before everything. However, since Treebeard is an ent, doesn't that make him pretty frickin' old since he's been in Middle-Earth since it's creation.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #46
Amras Oronar

Amras Oronar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Amras Oronar
If you would have taken the effort of reading the posts in front of you, you would have red it is lituarily said that Tom is the oldest
Amras Oronar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:29 AM   #47
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Arguably Bombadil.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #48
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
It cannot be Tom Bombadil.

We only have his ramblings about being the eldest and remembering the first raindrops to support the theory, which is a shaky foundation at best. Also we don't even know what he is. . . if he is a deity does he still count as a person?

At least we know something about Cirdan.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #49
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
It cannot be Tom Bombadil.

We only have his ramblings about being the eldest and remembering the first raindrops to support the theory, which is a shaky foundation at best. Also we don't even know what he is. . . if he is a deity does he still count as a person?

At least we know something about Cirdan.
I agree with you, Rune. It would be Cirdan, as defined by "person". We are not altogether sure what Bombadil "is".
Old 01-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #50
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Since we don't know who/what "is" Bombadil, we can't really place him anywhere on the timeline. I remember reading somewhere in The Sil that the Ents appeared around the same time as Elves were born, which would make Treebeard one of the oldest (if you count him as a person). Cirdan is definitely the oldest Elf. If we count ainur to be "people", they are older than all the rest, except for Eru.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:09 AM   #51
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Since we don't know who/what "is" Bombadil, we can't really place him anywhere on the timeline. I remember reading somewhere in The Sil that the Ents appeared around the same time as Elves were born, which would make Treebeard one of the oldest (if you count him as a person). Cirdan is definitely the oldest Elf. If we count ainur to be "people", they are older than all the rest, except for Eru.
I thought I recall Bombadil implying that he was there before the Ents? If T.B. is a person, then aside from the Ainur and Eru, he'd be the oldest. But...are Ents really 'people'?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #52
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Maybe we should get a clear definition about which creatures we are talking about. . .

Anyways no matter what Tom Bombadil should be left out, I don't believe we have anything that determines his age. Maybe he is just a madman who is immune to magical rings.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote