The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-01-2003, 12:53 PM   #41
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought that EW was great! He did a very good job at showing how the ring was starting to get to him. I think that they played up the tension between him and Sam about gollum a little bit too much but other than that, it was good.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:22 PM   #42
Kirsanne_Tolebrass
Pile O'Bones

Kirsanne_Tolebrass has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kirsanne_Tolebrass
Silmaril

I believe that he did a great job playing Frodo, especially in the Dead Marshes! That's my thought!
Old 01-04-2003, 12:13 PM   #43
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd say that I agree with a few people here. Elijah definitely looks the part, and he has the charisma to carry the role Frodo. I was happy with his Frodo in the Fellowship of the Ring, everything I didn't like about his part could be traced back to decisions by PJ: no building of strength and courage in the Barrow-downs, dropping his sword and running from the Nazgul at Weathertop, Arwen stealing the show at the fords of Bruinen. <P>I was really waiting to see some character development between Frodo and Sam and Gollum in Ithilien. And some character building on the part of Frodo, the shift in his stance regarding the ring. The growth in its power in tandem with the growth of his ability to withstand it. <P>It's just not there. That whole dynamic is thrown away, as though Elijah, the script writers and PJ didn't understand what was going on with Frodo, didn't realize that we need a little plausibility (and not just luck) to transform Frodo from a simple hobbit to someone who <I>could</I> make it through Mordor carrying the ring.<P>There is certainly very little for Elijah to work with here, I agree. But I don't know if it's because he couldn't pull it off, or because the scriptwriters are in love with Aragorn and forgot Frodo.
Old 01-05-2003, 04:51 PM   #44
FarathrimMaiden
Pile O'Bones

FarathrimMaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I really liked his portrayal. I guess i am with Daimond18 - I love psychosis and characters being edgy. And he just portrayed very well how he needed to believe there was hope and so he needed to be kinda to Smeagol and see him, because he feared someday that could be his same fate. It was an eye-opener when he yelled at Sam, especcially when Sam criticized Gollum you could tell the way it seemed to Frodo Sam was critisizing what Frodo was set up to become.<P>Also i think the biggest ownside was not enough screen time for Elijah( and sam and gollum) and maybe just ONCE Frodo could have been happy just for a while.

*Frodo most certainly does live.*

"Will you look into my mirror?"
"What will I see?"
FarathrimMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 05:04 PM   #45
Faye Took
Shade of Carn Dûm

Faye Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Faye Took
Sting

OoOoOoO Elij was great! And may I say he is HOT! Hehe sorry big fan here. I thought he did really well playing Frodo. He's awesome.
Faye Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 05:23 PM   #46
FarathrimMaiden
Pile O'Bones

FarathrimMaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, ok fine i admit it..i also think elijah wood is hot, and just so you know (like all the girls out there didnt) dominic and billy are hot too.

*Frodo most certainly does live.*

"Will you look into my mirror?"
"What will I see?"
FarathrimMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 01:58 PM   #47
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<A HREF="http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/2/1044171074" TARGET=_blank>Here</A> is an interview with EW, Don't read unless you want to know what he does with his toenails!
Old 02-02-2003, 02:54 PM   #48
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I read that article already, he does have some weird habits, other than just that.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:26 PM   #49
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> M: So did you get a dolphin tattoo after making Flipper?<P>E: Dude.<P>M: Sorry<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I don't know why, but I found that part highly amusing.<P>After reading that article I begin to understand why Gollum is his favorite character. In real life they would get on well.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:18 PM   #50
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Ring

I'd heard of the lotr before. But it was a very long book that the geeks read in there spare time. When our class went to see it in theaters, I was captivated by something. The story was cool but it was Elijah. It was good how his face was totally care free before the coming of the ring, but the second he received it, his left eyebrow became forever cocked. Even when he's happy it's cocked. I think that's neat. And as a promise to myself, I will meet Elijah someday.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 02:30 PM   #51
Calavanya
Pile O'Bones

Calavanya has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I also think he was OK. Obviously... He has this look of despair in his eyes,... hopelessness. It's just the same in the book (you can't actually see the look in his eyes there, I know). Somehow, although I knew the ending and all, while I was reading the book I thought Frodo was going to die after all. I also had this feeling while watching the film. So, Elijah did well. But, in a way, Frodo did leave his world and his past life. The elves leaving the Middle Earth reminded me of the Christian belief of going to heaven... I don't know. I'm sorry, I know this has nothing to do with this topic.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:39 PM   #52
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elwood bashing! I'm all for a bit of that! <--- Apologies. I'm ambivalent. Can't decide if I love him or am irritated by him. I annoy me sometimes, so, hey... <P>But yeah, I think his Frodo is astounding. But it annoys me *greatly* to know that he didn't read the books before, or even during the filming. For a self-confessed geek, Mr Wood, not having read it was a bad move...*tut* Ok, I didn't read LOTR til I'd seen FOTR, but I wasn't playing a part - I have an excuse - what's his! <P>NB - I am a fan of Mr Wood, believe it or not. He's quite intriuging.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:01 PM   #53
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Even though I love Elijah as Frodo in the films, when I am reading the book I do think of a different Frodo than his. I don't know why, it is just that I think of the charater in the book being different. I think that if he would have read the book his charater would have been more similar to the Frodo that I know <p>[ March 09, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 03-10-2003, 09:41 AM   #54
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elijah did very well. Every time he had that "somebody-kill-me-or-I-think-I-might-give-up-the-Ring" (*LOL*) look in his eyes, I really felt so sorry poor little Frodo.*sniff* <P>GO ELIJAH GO! <P>I also liked Frodo better in the first movie. Like Gandalf_theGrey was saying: "But had the director forgotten the Ringbearer, or lost him?"
Old 03-10-2003, 11:36 AM   #55
Faenaduial
Wight

Faenaduial has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Elijah Wood did the best job that he could, given the interpretation of 'Frodo as victim" which he was required to play. The problem does not lie in the actor, but rather in the director and the screenplay. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I totally agree with this statement. I think Elijah is doing a terific job in spite of the way his character was written in the script.<P>I am very disappointed in PJ's version of Frodo. In no way do you see him as the outstanding hobbit he is. In the books you actually feel he is the only one who could possibly accomplish the destruction of the Ring. Beginning with the Weathertop scene, the changes made in the character change Frodo from Tolkien's vision. I believe this will really hurt the end of the story when we hopefully see the other hobbits coming to the forefront back in the Shire after the ring is destroyed.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:03 AM   #56
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

O MY GOD, THAT INTERVIEW WITH ELIJAH!! *LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL!!*
Old 03-15-2003, 10:33 AM   #57
Lady Iverin
Haunting Spirit

Lady Iverin has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I think that Elijah did a wonderful job in TTT. Although, I was getting a little sick of seeing him so sad and depressed. I know, I know, that's what he's supposed to do. I think if I diagreed with anyone, it was the character Frodo, not Elijah. I've seen him in other movies and I have to say that this is his best yet. Keep the good work coming, Elijah!
Lady Iverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 07:27 AM   #58
Mordor_Queen
Haunting Spirit

Mordor_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I think elijah was a really good choice for frodo and he played the part really well. he was really good, especially the part where the ring is corrupting him.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:48 PM   #59
Anorien
Wight

Anorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anorien
Sting

dude! he totally mastered that lazy roll of the eyes manuver i thought was totally sexxxy!! he got kinda chunky though, ya know??? i hope he is all skinny and stretched out in the ROTK like it was in the book. one thing that botehred me though was that he was a little too much of a girl in the TTT. he acted a lot differently than i expected having read the book many times before. oh well, maybe the next one will be better!! *crosses fingers*
Anorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 05:44 AM   #60
Merenwen Telrúnya

Sting

Elijah is really good as Frodo!! Sometimes a bit of a girl indeed, and his always fainting... But wathever: frodo is a bit of a sad character too...
Old 03-22-2003, 03:40 PM   #61
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

I thought Elijah's acting was better in TTT than FOTR. but he still really good in both movies.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:53 PM   #62
Tinuviel87
Haunting Spirit

Tinuviel87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel87
Silmaril

I personally thik Elijah's acting was good. This was he and PJ's interpretation of Frodo, just as each of us has out own interpretation. My one and only complaint would be the minor barely noticiable scene when Frodo drops his sword at Amon Sul. That just bugged me, i don't know why. I could see if he ran away but I don't thinked he would have ran away AND dropped he sword Oh well, it's only my opinion!
Old 03-22-2003, 04:32 PM   #63
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I like Elijah's acting...okay, okay I'll admit it, I love psychosis. To pieces. I love characters on the edge, and so I enjoyed every time he yelled at Sam or rolled his eyes up into his head. (And especially that "They're coming" line...silly as it was I liked it). Not that I don't like Sam and liked to see him get yelled at, of course. It's just that it's so disconcerting to see Frodo act that way towards beloved Sam and...I sorta liked that. In a twisted way, probably.<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That's <B>exactly</B> what I thought! That was my favorite line.
Old 03-22-2003, 04:55 PM   #64
merenwen
Animated Skeleton

merenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

i think elijah did a pretty good job portraying frodo.i mean there is this certain part in fotr that i just LOVE becuz his face is soooooo cute and sweet! oh and guess what? last nite i saw adventures of huck finn for the first time, it was adorable!elijah wood in ruffles, that's sumthin you dont see everyday
Old 03-23-2003, 09:38 AM   #65
Elrowen Greenleaf
Animated Skeleton

Elrowen Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elrowen Greenleaf
Eye

I'd have to agree with PeregrinTook... except for the fact that I've never seen Elijah Wood star in a movie before LOTR. (I don't go to the movies much). But he was excellent.

The bow of Legolas was singing.
Elrowen Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 01:07 PM   #66
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is for all you Elijah lovers. I'm not sure how many people have seen this, but he's just so gosh-darn cute.<P><A HREF="http://www.ninecompanions.net/gallery_pics/fotrpics/frodo/fotr_frodo_amonhen_5.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Sleeping Frodo Picture</A><P>H.C.
Old 04-05-2003, 12:34 AM   #67
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi, everyone!<BR>I suppose I must air a few beefs with movie Frodo as well...<P>I really missed the "you shall have neither me nor the Ring!" exclamation of Frodo's as he is crossing the Ford of Bruinen; sadly replaced by sword brandishing Arwen and weak, feverish, unaware Frodo safe in her arms. That took all the power of resistance in last extremity that was one of my favorite Frodo characteristics away from him!<P>On the other hand, I like how he kicks Boromir around at Amon Hen and eludes him in a more physical way than the way he avoids him, putting a rock between him and Boromir in the book. It seems to point up to Boromir that the Ringbearer is more than just an ineffectual child. I think it did more for Boromir, really. I really gave Boromir a longer look and much more consideration after Sean Bean's portrayal of him...ah, but this is an Elijah Wood thread, isn't it? Sorry!<P>It has been so long since I have seen TTT, that I will lay off Elijah's scenery chewing episodes and the problem of Frodo and Faramir for now!<P>Cheers!<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 02:47 PM   #68
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

Theres so much contraversy in this thread.<BR>Elijah is a good actor, Elijah did his best, It wasn't Elijah's fault.<BR>Hmm.<BR>I'm with whoever said they were sich of the always sad Frodo. I think it's the eyebrow cock. He smiles, but not wholeheartedly.<BR>I still love Elijah and his acting and his girly scream, and except for being sad all the time(not his fault) Elijah was perfectly cast and I can't think of anyone else who could have done better. Except maybe my friend Jeremy, but he doesn't act.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 04:13 PM   #69
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Obviously people don't like Frodo's portrayl in TTT because it isn't like the books. Obviously that's not his fault. If you look at Frodo and pretend that's how he's supposed to be (pretend he's already in the late stages of RotK), then Elijah Wood did one awesome acting job!
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote