The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-11-2003, 10:37 AM   #1
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting *SPOILERS* - The Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare book

OK, spolier coming up. sorry if someone has already noted this.....<P>I picked up the new weapons and warfare book last night and had a quick skim through. <P>I saw the helmet that the Mouth of Sauron wears. In the text they explained that it is Aragorn who will 'parly' with him (not Gandalf) and they state (can't remember the exact words) that Aragorn will show him the strength of his sword, Anduril. In other words (I think) we may see a bit of action between aragorn and the mouth (instead of the much maligned possibility of aragorn versus Sauron). <P>I don't think this is very kingly, attacking someone whilst you're parlying! But maybe Aragorn turns his back and gets attacked...<P>Also, and this is quite ironic, but in the Saruman section it states that there are conflicting reports on the end of Saruman. It staes he was either killed in Isengard, or the Shire, or headed out East! Talk about hedging your bets......
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:06 AM   #2
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I would doubt that PJ would have Aragorn attack for a few reasons. One, though they have changed his character a little bit, they haven't made him unkingly and two, the Mouth of Sauron would be the more likely guy to play dirty, since he is the badguy...

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:47 AM   #3
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dűm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well...in the books, he scares the Mouth into saying that as an ambassador he "may not be assailed!" with his glare alone! And it does say that he didn't even move his hand to his sword hilt.<P>Now, this last bit obviously inspired the radio adpatation - with crazy logic you can see how it makes sense. In that, it would break the flow to narrate a stare, so they have Aragorn say who he is and that he bears the Sword That Was Broken, which causes the Mouth to freak and claim diplomatic immunity.<P>So I'm guessing that in the films (this would be the best way if he has to "show" his sword) he would unsheate Anduril and tell the Moputh what it is, scaring him.

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 05:40 PM   #4
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

I think the Mouth of Sauron will come back out and fight after his messages are done. The rumor is (***spoiler***) that Aragorn will nearly be killed, but Frodo's achievement halts it. I'm sure the director won't let Aragorn appear puny before the Mouth, though, and will doubtlessly inflict some wounds of his own.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote