The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 02:19 PM   #1
Alaksoron
Haunting Spirit

Alaksoron has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Alaksoron
Tolkien Tolkien and the Bible

I have noticed several similiarities in the Tolkien series to themes found in the Bible. You may have noticed them, as well. I believe these are purposefully placed metaphors. To understand this you must realize that both the honorable professor J.R.R. Tolkien and his colleague, professor C.S. Lewis, were both devoted Christian men of God. If you do not believe this, it is an established fact. The books they wrote (J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings series, The Hobbit, and the Silmarillion, C.S. Lewis Chronicles of Narnia) they wrote simultaneously with some collaboration with the intention of presenting the story of the Christ in a whole new light (fortunately for us lovers of fantasy). The first analogy I wish to draw is that of the Elves. The Elves are portrayed in Tolkien as essentially perfect beings. What abot Elves like Feanor, Celgorm, and Eol, you ask? Wait, I'll get to that. It is possible for a Elf to fall. Indeed, it was from these fallen Elves the Orcs came. This bears a striking similairity to the Angels in the Bible. When they sin they fall and become the fallen angels, or demons.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:49 PM   #2
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
I believe these are purposefully placed metaphors.
You might try reading Tolkien's own letters (published collectively as The Letters of JRR Tolkien). He explicitly denied several times that his work was intended as a metaphor or allegory - he only agreed that there is applicability or that there were parallels with Christianity that came about only naturally because of his faith. Just because you, the reader, can draw parallels and make connections does not mean they are intentionally placed there as metaphors. Being able to draw these parallels is simply called 'applicability' - that is, the concepts or principles exhibited in the story can be applied to reality. Tolkien has explained on different occasions that he does not like allegory (e.g. the intentional "metaphors" you speak of) and actually expressed dislike (disagreement) of Lewis' use of that tool in The Chronicles of Narnia.

If you'd like to read some of the quotes from the letters I speak of above, then you should read this thread (where I give many quotes in my post, #16).

This is a touchy subject that's been done many times before and not approached with the necessary caution. To see many of the older discussions of this topic, I'll direct you to the forum index where they are linked to under the topic "Tolkien and Christianity." This is a good thread that speaks specifically of Lewis and also gives some good links to other threads about Tolkien's unconscious inclusion of biblical principles. If you're looking to jump right into it, here is the newest thread on a similar matter. As it stands this thread will only prompt a few people to throw things at you. ( ) I encourage you to read some of what Tolkien said (and maybe some of threads I've linked to here) and come back with a new question or direction for discussion in starting a new thread.

Last edited by Legolas; 05-23-2004 at 03:09 PM.
Closed Thread