The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2012, 03:57 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Pipe Hobbit Production Video #6

The next installment of PJ's video blog is online and offers many possibilities for speculation! For example, if they are in Laketown for the beginning of the second movie, does that mean the first one ends with the barrels? At any rate, it is interesting to see just how big a role is played by something that will be unseen on screen - logistics.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh, good, they're on the second part now!

They'v shown the same landscape (one of the rocky ones... I know I'm very unspecific) in one of their previous videos... hmm... how long ago have they really been filming there?

And the "Rohan music theme" will stop being "Rohan"... there's no Rohan in TH... At least PJ didn't put that in!

I hope they will put my favourite theme - the one they play at the beginning of FOTR with the title. I didn't notice it in this clip.

And the landscape is just beautiful. Lovely. It makes me wish I could just go tour New Zealand.

So at least the music and the scenery will continue to be outstanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esty
For example, if they are in Laketown for the beginning of the second movie, does that mean the first one ends with the barrels?
I think it makes sense. Just to double-check myself, I opened the book at approximately the middle, and that was Mirkwood. But all of Mirkwood things should be kept in one film, so it makes sense to just add the barrels - it completes a "section", but leaves room for suspense. And Laketown is a logical beginning too.

The only thing I'm a bit curious about is how they will deal with Beorn. Since I found an old news article about a weird-looking goat being used somewhere in the film, probably as one of him animals, I haven't heard a wod about him in the movie. I really hope he won't be taken out. If he's taken out because of time limits, I'd find it understandable (like my attitude towards the lack of Bombadil). But since they found enough scenes for two films, I'll be pretty angry if they don't find room for Beorn.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
Pomegranate
Wight

Pomegranate is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
One thing I liked about the Lord of the Rings -movie trilogy and what continues to please me in these production videos is exactly the amount of information they give about various aspects of movie making, not only the basic "so here's the director, the producer and the actors talking nonsense about how this is a great film". At least to me, an 11-year-old little girl at the time, the features of the DVD-versions gave great aspirations about how I'd love to be an editor, or a digital shader, or a props maker, or a stunt - aspects of movie making you usually don't even acknowledge. And now logistics, catering etc - I think it's just fascinating.

I have to acknowledge that for me the PJ movies belong to a somewhat same love pile with the Tolkien's books - they both belong to a phase in my life when I needed them, they appeared to my life rather simultaneously, and I can't/don't want to really criticize them. I know that in that sense I will never be a true 'Downer :P It doesn't mean that they are in any way perfect versions of the books, far from that, but as a separate entity they are dear. And in that sense, just looking at these videos, particularly this one with all the Hobbiton scenes, makes me feel like going home, if you know what I mean. Going home, or meeting an old friend, or something. With the music, the landscapes, the amazing props etc.

And with the ending - I don't have my books with me right now, but could the first movie end with the eviction of Sauron from Dol Guldur? With the dvarves' storyline ending to the barrels. That would be somewhat more dramatic than a pile of dizzy dvarves and one wet hobbit.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomegranate View Post
I know that in that sense I will never be a true 'Downer :P
You know that being a Downer does not require a passionate hate for PJ and the movies, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pom
And with the ending - I don't have my books with me right now, but could the first movie end with the eviction of Sauron from Dol Guldur? With the dvarves' storyline ending to the barrels. That would be somewhat more dramatic than a pile of dizzy dvarves and one wet hobbit.
I think I even read somewhere that that's the end of the first movie on Gandalf's timeline. Both movies end with a battle.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
to Pomegranate:
On Movies VS books, I quite agree with Galadriel55. I have been able to thoroughly enjoy them both. Maybe it's because I watched so many Star Trek episodes that had "alternate universes". The books are the final authority-- er, wait; actually, the professor is the final authority, even when he himself gets a bit confused. I'll stomp my foot and say "Tolkien is correct" even when he contradicts himself.

But I definitely enjoyed the movies, and continue to do so. Someone must give the "We hates the movies forever, precious" uber-purists some reason to keep posting.

Belated welcome to the Downs.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #6
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Did anyone else spot what looked suspiciously like Lobelia Sackville-Baggins right at the start?? There's a female Hobbit with a lime green posh hat and dress on, about 33s in. Have we ever seen any Hobbit lasses wearing such a thing before? No. So it's got to be social climber Lobelia!

I'm getting more excited about the film, though we might have to go in shifts unless I can sneak the little boggart in (he was copying my Gollum impressions in the park yesterday while belting round on his scooter so he's being trained up).
Old 03-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
Pomegranate
Wight

Pomegranate is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
G55: Really?

Yes, I do understand that. I guess the haters are just the louder ones here, heh. And about the ending, it might be that I have read the same information at some point, but didn't remember it and thought it was my own idea. Would seem logical, though, since that event is in a way some kind of an ending to the Gandalf storyline, and I'd like to think that there it at least some ways of looking at the two movies as separate ones.

Mark: Thanks for the welcome, and let's keep those purists on their toes!

I had to check Lal's point, and there she is, in her weird hat! Hard to believe that they would have randomly dressed one of the extras that strikingly. Unless, of course, she's one of the production team and not a hobbit at all - after all, movie makers are weird lot.

And I am way too excited considering that the movie is still quite far away. To my excitement adds the fact that I have recently moved from far-away Finland to slightly more accessible Scotland, which means that I could actually go to a real premiere!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I hope that's Lobelia, I'll be very disappointed if she's not in it! It looked suspiciously like the auction.

I think some people get enjoyment out of picking the films apart, which is fine. I admit I get some enjoyment out of being sarcastic about the things in them I don't like, but I still think they're fantastic films and for me, they capture a good vision and are very immersive. I first read the books a good twenty years before the films came out but it didn't stop me from being like a kid at Christmas when I was actually going into the cinema to see Fellowship (in fact, it was Christmas ). I feel spoiled this year - The Hobbit, The Avengers, Game of Thrones...
Old 03-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30 View Post
On Movies VS books, I quite agree with Galadriel55. I have been able to thoroughly enjoy them both.
No, I think there was a misunderstanding. I much prefer books to movies. But you're still a Downer if you like the films/agree with PJ/whatever, and even more so if you start arguing about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30 View Post
Someone must give the "We hates the movies forever, precious" uber-purists some reason to keep posting.
Hehe, I just like to complain a lot. The movies are a scapegoat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomegranate View Post
G55: Really?
*world turns over as G55 admits to not actually hating PJ and the movies*

But yeah, I mean, sure! Nothing wrong with not closing your eyes and shutting your ears to the good side of the movies and not being pesemistic about them! Really!

Nothing unwighty about being positive (we need some of that among all of us "haters")... Unless you want to join Davem's campaign against CJRT....... :P

/kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
Did anyone else spot what looked suspiciously like Lobelia Sackville-Baggins right at the start?? There's a female Hobbit with a lime green posh hat and dress on, about 33s in. Have we ever seen any Hobbit lasses wearing such a thing before? No. So it's got to be social climber Lobelia!
Good catch! That does look weird! I sincerely hope it's not how Lobelia dresses in the movie!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #10
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I refuse to be drawn into such shameless, attempted- hype-generating advertising.