The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-13-2001, 05:26 PM   #1
Ionia Luffs Reindeer
Animated Skeleton

Ionia Luffs Reindeer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ionia Luffs Reindeer
Pipe And as movie time rolls around, Ionia huddles in fear, sobbing.

So what am I scared of?<P>I read LOTR when I was around twelve, way back when (*coughs* three years ago). Although it kind of slipped from my memory, I've always considered it one of my favourite books. After a while, though, almost all traces of it were wiped from my memory... I only remembered little things, stupid things, like suggesting a friend name her new pony Bill, and things like that. Things that anyone who'd seen the animated film could do, truth be told. <P>But a few months ago I saw a preview for the FOTR movie while watching Pearl Harbour (which, by the way, sucked), and was blown away by the sheer intensity of a trailer. All these waves came rushing back at me, sitting around at home after doing my homework and devouring The Two Towers (my favourite bit of the book), and how much I truly missed the novel, even though I hadn't realized it. Even this, though, faded away with time. It took a "Making of the Lord of the Rings" special for me to drag my rear to a bookstore and cough up (half) the cash for Fellowship. <P>I finished it in three days, and the other two bits soon after, maybe a week in all.<P>I now find myself wishing I knew how to write in Elvish and spending free class time memorizing bits of poetry off the pages, and every waking thought consumed with LOTR and reading every book about the topic (not to mention movie review) I can. I've been dubbed a true dork by my friends, to my immense pride.<P>The trouble? <P>Shallow as it may sound, I am terrified that as the movie rolls around, and I'm standing in line next Wednesday, opening day, my advance tickets clutched firmly in my gold-fingered hand, I'm going to be dismissed as a movie-whore who doesn't appreciate the depth of what Middle-Earth really is. And even worse, I'm afraid it might be true. As much as I try to shake it, I immediately attach my mental image of Frodo to a pale, cherubic, chubby-faced blue-eyed guy with curly black hair who's about a foot too tall. Exactly like Elijah Wood, truth be known. I've forgotten, have lost, whatever mental image it was that I had at the age of twelve. It's the same with the rest of the characters as well... I feel ashamed that it took a movie to grab my attention again, and force me back to appreciation of the greatness of the novel. It sounds disgusting, it sounds shallow, it sounds like I'm a whiny teenaged brat with nothing better to do than worry what people think about her. And maybe I am. But I just need reassurance. Some reassurance that I, at least, am vaguely authentic. Sort of.<P>I don't want to be grouped in with the Elijah Wood junkies raving about Tolkien who've never touched the book.<P>?<P>PS: I'm new. Welcome me. >:]
Old 12-13-2001, 08:29 PM   #2
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

Welcome! Stay as long as you like, post often, and enjoy yourself.
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2001, 09:38 PM   #3
Ionia Luffs Reindeer
Animated Skeleton

Sting

LOL If I'd known I'd get a reaction to the last part alone I'da just typed that ^_^
Old 12-13-2001, 09:39 PM   #4
Meriadoc1961
Wight

Meriadoc1961 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, Ionia, maybe you can find comfort in knowing that a LotR fan from the age of 12 also is looking forward to seeing the movie. The thing is, I am not 15, and I have not been for several years. I have read the LotR every February since 1974, as well as The Hobbit, and I shall continue to do so.<P>I, too, have been very moved by what I have seen in the trailers and in the documentary. The attention to detail is remarkable. I know there are things that will be changed due to budget constraints, such as the elimination of Bombadil and Glofindel, and giving Arwen more of a part, but I think for the most part we will be pleased, and we can sit back and smile knowing that we really are not movie whores or gigolos, and we can relish in the knowledge that only true fans of the books can have.<P>By the way, I am pleased a 15 year old can write with the eloquence in which you did! That is a lost art.<BR>Good luck to you!
Old 12-13-2001, 09:41 PM   #5
Ionia Luffs Reindeer
Animated Skeleton

Sting

I write with eloquence? Go me! *coughs* Ummm... I mean... *restarts* I beg to differ. I merely... umm... *loses train of thought* yeah. Eloquent. That's me all over ^_^
Old 12-14-2001, 05:41 AM   #6
Pippin
Haunting Spirit

Pippin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I was touched by your post Ionia, and reassure you to not feel bad. I read the books when I was nine, trying to prove that I was as clever as my brother by reading a "grown-up" book. unfortunately I didn't understand them, so when I re-read them a couple of years later, it was like a veil had been lifted from my eyes and I saw Middle Earth as I should have done. I don't think you have lost your images of the characters forever, in time they will return to you as did the memories. (for ages I could only picture Gimli with a red beard, and only through reading the book again did I rediscover my sulky-looking image of him with a bullet shaped helm, white forked beard and broad bladed axe)<P>also I agree that for a fifteen year old, you speech is very sophisticated. I'm impressed!...<BR>(hmph, you're better than me, and I'm taking English at college, although being the Fool of a Took that I am, you wouldn't believe it)<BR>
Old 12-14-2001, 02:57 PM   #7
amyrlis
Wight

amyrlis has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ionia, I know what you are going through – as far as losing the images you once created in your mind. I am almost done re-reading FOTR (for the umpteenth time), and I am having to fight very hard to try to retain my own ideas of the faces of the characters. The thing is, I am also looking forward to the movies and am so thrilled that these books are finally being brought to film in such a fantastic way. Some of the previous posts on this site talked of how anyone who has not read the books, but decides to after the movies, may only be able to picture Peter Jackson’s cast, rather than form their own images. I don’t want to become one of those people!! It wouldn’t be fair! I’ve been a ring-freak for almost 15 years! I didn’t think this would happen to me, I even rebutted one of those posts stating that John Howe or Ted Nasmith’s drawings had not hindered, but enhanced my own Tolkien images. What was I thinking?!? My problem is that the images I formed as a teenager of the Fellowship were never concrete, just shadowy glimpses, ideas, feelings. I would never be able to draw a picture of exactly what one of these characters looked like in my mind. But I know that Boromir was darker, more slender, younger; and Frodo older and more portly. Alas, my images are so fragile that they are slipping and making way for the Hollywood version. I guess I fight because it is kind of an end to my private Tolkien world. If I don’t fight as I read the last chapter of FOTR, I will no longer be in MY Tolkien world, the one of dreams and make-believe. It has suddenly become a real world, with real faces, faces I will soon see in other movies and magazines. Ah, at least I’ll always have Finrod, Maedhros and Cirdan. So, as I eagerly anticipate the coming of the movie I also struggle to stay true to my own creativity. It is a sweet sorrow! <P>Also – I must agree with the others that your post was written very well!
Old 12-14-2001, 08:06 PM   #8
Ionia Luffs Reindeer
Animated Skeleton

White-Hand

Well, allow me to arise from the pool of ego-stroking I was just wallowing in to say thanks for all the reassurance and ever-welcome flattery (all hail the newbies!) ^_~<P>Re-reading bits of Two Towers randomly after Biology exams today (perfect score, go me! ^_^) I found out that the only two characters that haven't yet changed/been influenced for me are Bilbo and Borimir. I'm clinging to it. ^_^<P>PS: I was gunna correct the horrendous puncuation in the above post, but on thinking again I'll just leave it.<p>[ December 14, 2001: Message edited by: Ionia Luffs Reindeer ]
Old 12-14-2001, 10:12 PM   #9
mordor136
Wight

mordor136 has just left Hobbiton.
I too have been biting my nails while waiting for the movie(which opens on my birthday). I don't believe they will change much. The director(peter jackson i believe)<BR>is a fan who pays attenion to details too.<BR>(I hope they don't cut out Bombidail or Goldberry might just have to keep on wiating LOL.) <p>[ December 14, 2001: Message edited by: mordor136 ]
Old 12-14-2001, 10:16 PM   #10
Ionia Luffs Reindeer
Animated Skeleton

Sting

They cut out Tom... I loved that part o' the book, too.
Old 12-14-2001, 10:29 PM   #11
Pirotess
Pile O'Bones

Pirotess has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Pirotess
Thumbs up

Ello Ionia! Finally you show up! Where were you hiding, we've been expecting you <P>I was going to say how well you write for a 15 year old, but since Meriadoc and Pippin did that already, i'll pass, so I won't look like i'm just following the wave <P>I find your post rather interesting, as I never thought about this little problem 'til now (so thnx alot! ). But seriously when i 1st read the LOTR back in high school (about a decade ago) I don't think i had very clear mental images of all the characters. I did for a few, but I believe that every time I re-read the books, the characters became all the more clear in my mind. I don't think those pictures will go away, just because of some movie. I mean, i've seen portraits of Frodo n the others all over the place throughout the years (calendars, cartoons, books, games) but everytime I open the books, n drown myself into them, it's my own images that always return.<P>I for one, feel that the film's casting looks superb, and if the actors can live up to their characters, i'll be thrilled. But I doubt they'll be able to replace Frodo and Legolas and Boromir the way I see them now, when I close my eyes. And I think that you too will find, that yer own vision is the one that you'll relive, every time you'll read the story. <P>Have a good time posting here!<p>[ December 14, 2001: Message edited by: Pirotess ]
nor bid the Stars farewell
Pirotess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 10:43 PM   #12
mordor136
Wight

Sting

Alas, you took the superb casting bit right out of my mouth. Every time I sign on a thing flashes "hobbit hotties" well its a fact that not only weomen are on the internet. I am a guy and I think they should give some credit to the good looking women on the cast. (arwen) <p>[ December 14, 2001: Message edited by: mordor136 ]
Old 12-14-2001, 11:05 PM   #13
Ionia Luffs Reindeer
Animated Skeleton

White-Hand

*slinks away from Pirotess* The lead-in to your post nearly scared the pee out of me. I won't question, for fear the results of my questioning actually do scare the pee out of me.<P>Wights. Freaky people. And I use that term loosely. ^_^
Old 12-14-2001, 11:19 PM   #14
Pirotess
Pile O'Bones

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by mordor136:<BR><STRONG>Alas, you took the superb casting bit right out of my mouth. Every time I sign on a thing flashes "hobbit hotties" well its a fact that not only weomen are on the internet. I am a guy and I think they should give some credit to the good looking women on the cast. (arwen)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> Heheh well I assure you that by 'superb casting' I didn't mean the actors were good looking, nor did i limit it to the male characters only.. And i don't think that the female players are being ignored, in fact Arwen seems to be all over the place. It's just that there are more male characters, so it's normal that they're getting more attention..<BR>Yet let the truth be told: The LOTR film is packed with a droolicious cast. Fer every taste n size
Old 12-14-2001, 11:26 PM   #15
Ionia Luffs Reindeer
Animated Skeleton

Sting

LOL unfortunately I tower over all the hobbits, even the five foot six one. Meep. I resent how they beefed up Arwen's role only to chop out Tom Bombadil. *looks ill*<P>I woulda responded faster but am updating my DeadJournal X_x
Old 12-14-2001, 11:26 PM   #16
mordor136
Wight

Sting

Too true. <BR>I myself only think they could have casted a better Galadriel. Did you here Gollum is completely computerized? He makes his first appearance in 2 towers. I cant wait to see thier version of a balrog.I feel like I'm drowning in all the merchendise(i.e. burger king glasses that light up)<p>[ December 15, 2001: Message edited by: mordor136 ]
Old 12-14-2001, 11:32 PM   #17
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

It won't take the images away. Ever time you read the books the images you formed will be there. I seen Simon burch before I read the book that it came from and the movie images were no the ones I seen. So don't worry. You'll love the movie, and you'll always enjoy the vision from the book.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 11:38 PM   #18
Ionia Luffs Reindeer
Animated Skeleton

Sting

*returns from rambling endlessly about racism and how nice people at the barrowdowns are in deadjournal, blinking* I HATE Gollum. With a passion. I'd not've been able to hold out like Samwise did, good ol' guy.<P>I think Cate Blanchett makes a lovely Galadriel.
Old 12-14-2001, 11:46 PM   #19
Pirotess
Pile O'Bones

Thumbs up

You have the Burger king glasses?! Hey wait a sec, are those yours, or did you steal mine? Hmmm i'll be watchin' you pal, something about yer name tells me not to trust you...<BR>Oh i definitely can't wait to see Gollum too. And the Balrog! that's gotta be cool!<P>yeah i admit it, i've been sucking to the whole merchandise too. But i'm a little scared of getting TOO hyped at this point, so i'm not buying anything else before i see the movie. (well, i'll <I>try</I> not to..)
Old 12-14-2001, 11:48 PM   #20
Ionia Luffs Reindeer
Animated Skeleton

Sting

I have my eyes on a *REALLY* cheesy Black Rider bank at the bookstore... "Drop in a penny and hear the shrieks!" LMAO
Old 12-14-2001, 11:51 PM   #21
mordor136
Wight

Sting

[I]STAY AWAY FROM THE LIGHT UP GLASSES LOL
Old 12-14-2001, 11:53 PM   #22
mordor136
Wight

Sting

I saw those banks . In light of this conversation I started a merchandise topic.<BR>Don't knock my login name!
Old 12-15-2001, 12:40 AM   #23
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Fear not! Your vision will not be disturbed.. Frodo in my mind's eye will always have gentle brown eyes, Gandalf blue eyes and a hooked nose, Boromir a brooding look and deep set sparkling brown-black eyes - with a thick black beard. Legolas will always have long dark brown, almost black, fine hair, with sallow skin and a sharp, angular face, an almost cat-like quality. He will always be smallish and very light. Gimli light brown and very thick curly hair. <P>Yet somehow, no matter how different they appear from my vision, the casting seems just right. Our imagination is not only the visual image, but in the quality and "feel" of the character. Elijah's bright eyes and fair skin looks nothing like my Frodo, but his innocence and intelligent earnestness is just right.<p>[ December 15, 2001: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 12-17-2001, 07:32 AM   #24
Pippin
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

I saw a thing about FotR when I was *ahem* studying for my media exam last night. I saw a brief glimpse of the balrog, and from what I saw it wasn't very impressive, it looked more like a fat troll, not very frightening. HOWEVER...I will wait and see. it WAS just a brief glimpse after all, so it might have been a weird angle. I hope so! I really wanna be scared by this thing....
Old 12-17-2001, 11:28 AM   #25
Kin-strife
Haunting Spirit

Kin-strife has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My own personel images of the characters in the lord of the rings seem to change with each rereading. I remember when I first picked up the lord of the rings after my sister raving about it I had not yet read the Hobbit. I launched into the first chapter without having any iea what a hobbit even looked like. The first image that came into my head became Bilbo. That image was of mean looking, well built, bald, ex-nazi name of Baron Strucker (I think) complete with monicle who I had recently seen in a Marvel comic-book. I never made it past the first chapter on that reading and when I then came to read the Hobbit it took a severe session of banging my head against the wall to get the Baron out of there. After I returned to the lord of the rings, for some inexplicable reason, Frodo had blue hair in my mind and kept it right up until the end. When aragorn was first introduced as Strider he was an old man with atrophing organs. As the book went on he kept getting younger, at the rate he was going he should have been a foetus by the time he was crowned. Tom Cruise played the part of Boromir and Father Christmas stepped in for Elrond. Only two characters remained the same with each rereading. One was Gandalf. Gandalf was, is, and always will be in my mind the same tall, proud, wise and noble Gandalf that stood in the centre of the Lord of the Rings poster, illustrated by Jimmy Cauty that's been stuck up in my sisters bedroom for as long as I an remember. I am far too fond of this Gandalf for Ian Mckellan (or however you spell it) to make an impression on me. The other fixed image is that of Legolas, which is so similar to the Legolas in the film that I have trouble sleeping at night.
Old 12-17-2001, 01:29 PM   #26
Ionia Luffs Reindeer
Animated Skeleton

Sting

*recovers from laughing hysterically at baron image*<P>Ian McKellan is actually pretty close to the hazy mental image I've formed of Gandalf... an aura of ancient wisdom, so to speak... <P>The elves are also astonishngly close to what I've always pictured for elves in any type of fantasy fiction (or Tolkien-tyle elves anyway, not Santa's hammer-wielding helpers)... Tall, fair, and regal. I think Orlando Bloom and Cate Blanchett play their parts rather well. Dunno about Liv Tyler... for me, all elves have blonde hair, and that won't change no matter what. I think I can take comfort in that at least.<P>Barliman, too. VERY clear image of him. ^_^
Old 12-17-2001, 02:47 PM   #27
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What's this about having to wait for TT to see Gollum?! Surely not! <P>I read a review in the paper today - generally fantastic, "especially the dragon in Moria" I assume he meant the Balrog, in which case that can surely only mean one thing......?
Old 12-17-2001, 05:35 PM   #28
Meriadoc1961
Wight

Meriadoc1961 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's interesting reading of the mental pictures these books have conjured for some, especially for those who have mental pictures entirely diferent than what Tolkien explained. He always seemed to describe the elves pretty clearly: Legolas and Galadriel had golden blonde hair, Arwen's hair was black, and Cirdan's and Celeborn's hair was silver.<P>I, too, am looking forward to the Balrog, and will admit this was always a dificult one for me to picture in my mind. I also await anxiously the appearance of the Witch King being confronted by Gandalf upon Shadowfax as the gates burst asunder at Minas Tirith: the sight of the flames appearing through an unseen head supporting a crown will be awesome!
Old 12-17-2001, 08:29 PM   #29
Ionia Luffs Reindeer
Animated Skeleton

Sting

O_O!<P>I do what they DID get right: The scenery. I have a pic from the movie of Frodo waking up in Rivendell and even the tiny glimpses you catch through the "walls" (it's like a gazebo ^_^) are breathtaking... One of my life ambitions to visit New Zealand. ^_^<p>[ December 17, 2001: Message edited by: Ionia Luffs Reindeer ]
Old 12-17-2001, 09:30 PM   #30
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Pippin:<BR><STRONG>I saw a thing about FotR when I was *ahem* studying for my media exam last night. I saw a brief glimpse of the balrog, and from what I saw it wasn't very impressive, it looked more like a fat troll, not very frightening. HOWEVER...I will wait and see. it WAS just a brief glimpse after all, so it might have been a weird angle. I hope so! I really wanna be scared by this thing.... </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I seen that too, And couldn't believe they'd have given that away, but I think they tacked on a part of the fireworks to that segment, since it looked like a describtion of one of Gandalf's fireworks.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 03:41 AM   #31
Pippin
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

I hope so....<BR>like I said, it was very brief. it may have been something else, but it WAS in moria....or at least, everything else was. I've fortunately never seen the animated version, but the clip they showed looked AWFUL...I was cringing for ages....
Old 12-18-2001, 06:28 PM   #32
Radagast

Pipe

I've thought about your problem before. I was worried that some Tolkien fan there would think of me as some kid who just thought the trailer looked great. I figured a way to greatly minimize the chance of this happening. I'm dressing up as a character from the book. I've put together a great costume of Gandalf the Grey for opening day. Better yet though, dress up as a character that only someone who has read the books would know about. It might be a little late to make a costume, but you could put together a small one real quick.
Old 12-18-2001, 06:46 PM   #33
Ionia Luffs Reindeer
Animated Skeleton

Sting

We're just donning cloaks :P Devotion baby! We're writing our elven names (courtesy of the generator on this site) in Elven on our foreheads too, for no good reason other than that we can flaunt it.<P>Hopefully. ^_^
Old 12-20-2001, 02:47 PM   #34
Narsil13

Sting

I have seen the film twice already, and I'll tell you this much...<P>As long as you walk into the theatre understanding that Tolkien is dead and gone and what you are about to watch is another fans dreamy vision of Ea, you'll be alright.<P>The film is very entertaining and the scenery, sets and special effects are astoundingly imaginitive.<P>Middle Earth will always exist in my minds eye alone, there can be no 'accuracy' with the adaptation of Tolkiens work. It resides in the hearts and minds of his readers, us.<P>By all means though ENJOY the film, lord knows I did.
Old 12-20-2001, 03:07 PM   #35
Ionia Luffs Reindeer
Animated Skeleton

Thumbs up

I did.
Old 12-20-2001, 03:10 PM   #36
Turambar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Turambar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Turambar
Sting

Ionia - you're a whiny teenaged brat with nothing better to do than worry what people think about you. But we like you anyway.
Old 12-20-2001, 07:37 PM   #37
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Aye, we likes the raindeer luffer, and it's to be expected that young raindeer luffers wonder if they're luffed back.