The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2001, 03:51 AM   #1
GreyIstar
Wight

GreyIstar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Does anybody know....

if the movie will have the Hobbits going through the Old Forest and the Barrowdowns or are they going to cut that like they did in that 1978 version?<P>Or is this a wait and see on Dec 19th question.<P>That other movie the Nazgul is searching for them on the road and they are hiding and the next seen they are going into Bree. I was like what the hell??

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
GreyIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 08:22 AM   #2
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Barrow-Wight is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

*** SPOILER ALERT ***<BR>But if you're in this thread, I think you may already be looking for movie spoilers <P>By all accounts, Tom Bombadil, the Old Forest, AND The Barrow-Downs (and Wights) are not going to show up in the new film. From what I heard, the hobbits are just going to hightail it to Bree. <P>And I was gonna be a star!!!
Old 12-02-2001, 10:35 AM   #3
Esil the Elf
Pile O'Bones

Esil the Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Esil the Elf Send a message via AIM to Esil the Elf
Sting

That's pretty gay.
Old 12-02-2001, 12:34 PM   #4
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

The Eye

Gay? I don't see anything happy or cheerful about it at all!
Old 12-02-2001, 04:06 PM   #5
GreyIstar
Wight

Sting

I knew they were taking out Tom, but I didn't realize they were taking out the Old Forest and the Barrowdowns completely. That kinda sucks.<P>Spoilers? Everyone knows the story.

"Dangerous!" cried Gandalf. "And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord."
Old 12-02-2001, 04:45 PM   #6
The Barrow-Wight
Night In Wight Satin

Thumbs up

Heh, I guess you are right. I just didn't want to spoil the spoiling of the story
Old 12-02-2001, 09:33 PM   #7
Esil the Elf
Pile O'Bones

Esil the Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Esil the Elf Send a message via AIM to Esil the Elf
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by The Barrow-Wight:<BR><STRONG>Gay? I don't see anything happy or cheerful about it at all!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>what about fruity?
Old 12-02-2001, 09:41 PM   #8
Lostgaeriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lostgaeriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Look on the bright side. Since this movie cannot possibly include everything in the book, we can live <I>forever</I> in hope that someday someone will make such a film!
Old 12-02-2001, 10:12 PM   #9
GreyIstar
Wight

Sting

Yes I know this... I was just wondering if that was part of the omission

Old 12-04-2001, 06:46 AM   #10
Pippin
Haunting Spirit

Pippin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Are they cutting anything else? like, I don't know, Lothlorien, or perhaps the entire journey??? <BR> <BR>Old Bombadillo perhaps we can live without, (grudgingly) but where do the hobbits get their swords if they don't go to the barrow downs? <BR> Aw, Don't take it personally Barrow Wight, your acting abilities were just too sophisticated...
Old 12-04-2001, 06:27 PM   #11
Durin's Bane
Pile O'Bones

Durin's Bane has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In the movie when Aragorn will meet the Hobbits he will just happen to have magical daggers just the right size for them.
Durin's Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 10:20 PM   #12
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Heavens - Don't expect to see the Lord of the Rings! This is a movie. <P>Movies have different strengths than books. A good actor can reveal in expression and intonation what takes pages to describe. <P>But LotR is a milieu story. The world he describes and all it's fine history is the real point. That's something better described in books where you can wander and not leave a theatre audience wondering, what's this have to with anything?<P>If we put all these details in, not only will the movie be horribly long, it'll be a snooze for 99.9% of the population. Even some fans. If you don't believe me, watch one really faithful Masterpiece Theatre adaptation of another milieu story (Jane Eyre?). <P>Milieu stories (like Jane Austin, anything by the Bronte sisters) have been successfully adapted for screen by tightening the plot. You lose those wonderful meanders. But then they make up for it by creating very authentic and rich scenery and costumes.. the visual detail is a stand in, an implication of historical detail. Call it visual shorthand. <P>It's never entirely satisfying for those who know the stories well, because they're changing it into a different Kind of story. One that's focused on plot, not world.<P>Heck, not only will I miss Bombadil, I'll miss details like Pippin teasing Frodo about being out of shape their night camping in the Shire.<P>I'm going in knowing I'm not going to see the LotR. It's going to be a different kind of story. <P>So I'm looking forward to what Film <B>does</B> do well: these are some darned fine actors, who seem to love this story, and it's gonna be great to see their interpretations. And I can't wait <I>See</I> Middle Earth brought with a kind of immediacy and reality you can't get from any book, because there's alway the author's 'voice' between you and that world.<P>For doing what films do well, it's gonna be fantastic!<P>-Maril<BR>
Old 12-04-2001, 11:01 PM   #13
GreyIstar
Wight

Sting

Well said. I think it will be great. I saw on CNN today the lady there said she saw it and it was a "visual masterpiece".<P>I tried to get my friend to read the book before we see the movie. He read the first chapter and said it was boring. I said are you nuts? I said read the second chapter and it will draw you in capture you and it will be very hard to put down. I don't know if he did. He said hed just wait and see the movie. ugh.

Old 12-05-2001, 04:13 AM   #14
Pippin
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

I'm not saying the movie won't be great, I'm just lamenting over lost details, I'm no fool of a Took I know they couldn't totally stick to the plot, but it's still a shame. Ah well, I'm still looking forward to it! Ya'll is right, they've got a terrific cast. (can't wait to see what Lobelia looks like!) which reminds me: are we going to have to wait until next year to see Gollum? I bet all we see in this movie is a pair of glowing eyes and a shadow. I wanna see what he looks like NOW!
Old 12-06-2001, 12:19 AM   #15
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

Oh, I agree with you Pippin! Do the LotR as a 500 part Masterpiece Theatre and I'll be the first one, eagerly perched on a cushion way too close to the TV! But I'm mentally preparing myself for those losses "this is a movie, it's not the LotR, this is a movie, it's not the LotR"... because I intend to not only enjoy this movie, I plan to savor it like fine wine.<P>-Maril
Old 12-06-2001, 09:46 AM   #16
Pippin
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

you mean, I actually said something intelligent??! yay!
Old 12-06-2001, 03:06 PM   #17
Durin's Bane
Pile O'Bones

Pipe

In fact, Pippin, they are only gonna go show Gollum's gleaming eyes and some peeks of his hands and feet, but if you remember that's all that happens in the book too. I guess there doing it to make us start drooling in anticipation of Two Towers, though even more than gollum I'm looking forward to seeing the ents!!
Old 12-06-2001, 03:35 PM   #18
onewhitetree
Seeker of Syntax

onewhitetree has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to onewhitetree
Sting

I can't wait to see the Balrog, and I will be sooooo mad if it flies into the scene.

Well, I'M BACK.
onewhitetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 02:31 AM   #19
Crash

Sting

All i can say is as far as i know i heard they were sticking to the story quite well but if they cut out tom its going to be devestating!!!!!<P>All i can say is i can't wait to see it as peter jackson is a kiwi and i am proud of that fact as i am one too!!!
Old 12-10-2001, 08:07 AM   #20
Pippin
Haunting Spirit

Silmaril

well they've listed Gollum's voice on the cast list, so he must say something. Who's voicing Treebeard? Hm, hoom, I am being somewhat hasty, what with the first film not being out yet, but I really want to see Gollum! I've waited YEARS for this! Also does snyone else agree that Arwen's role in part one has been considerably increased?
Old 12-10-2001, 09:04 AM   #21
Durin's Bane
Pile O'Bones

Sting

I'm pretty sure Treebeard is gonna be voiced by John Rhys-Davies (probably not spelled right, but I hope you know who I mean) who's doing Gimli too.
Old 12-10-2001, 06:58 PM   #22
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Balrog wouldn't be able to fly in Moria. It was too big to be able to fly in there.
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 10:03 PM   #23
Orald
Shadow of Malice

Orald has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orald Send a message via Yahoo to Orald
Sting

I hope that was sarcasm, Elrian. But if you really believe the Balrog is that big...
Orald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 04:54 AM   #24
Jaidee

Sting

Big Fat Spoiler:<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<BR>.<B R>.<BR>The Balrog does not fly into the scenes, and it kind of looks (seems) like it has dark shadowy wings, but they are indistinct. But it is really tall - maybe over 20ft tall I would say.<BR>In FotR , they show gollum on his island from a distance. They also show his eyes & hands. You never see him up close, in the light.<BR>The movie was really good.
Old 12-14-2001, 11:41 PM   #25
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If it's wing span goes from wall to wall, how could it, think about it. Outside it may be able to take flight, inside the halls of Moria, it woundn't be able to manuver in flight. According to Tolkien it was that big, it's wingspan anyway. The Balrog was seen in the Passage to Middle Earth Special and The MTV Making of LOTR.<P><BR>
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 12:46 AM   #26
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Silmaril

I've only read enough spoilers to reassure myself that I'm taking my friend (non-Tolkienite sad but true) to something that represents the books accurately so I don't spend the next week after explaining how the Books are really different from that, and really much better because..