The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-10-2004, 05:50 PM   #1
Arwen Evenstar

Arwen Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
Ring Silly things to look for in RotK

Alright, this might be lame, but I need something to do. Feel free to add on!

1. When Gandalf, Aragorn, Theoden, ect. arrive at Isengard, when Treebeard is talking, watch Theoden`s horse. It is, shall I say, "going to the bathroom!"

2. When Faramir and the Gondorian soldiers are leaving Minas Tirith (just before Pippin`s song) when the camera is zooming up to Faramir (the first shot of him in this scene) there`s a creepy old lady smiling to his left! These people are basically riding to there death, and the lady is smiling!

3. When Elrond comes and presents Anduril to Aragorn, lood around Theoden`s tent. It`s fancier than my house!

4. When Legolas is climbing up the Mumakil (Oliphant) dosen`t he look a bit large to you?

5. I could be wrong, but when Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli are entering the Paths of the Dead, Aragorn appears to dissapear into the darkness. Watch closely and you`ll see that he is really turning a corner.

6. After taking the palantir (when Gandy is talking to him) Pippin is lying on the floor. Through his shirt you can see chest hair poking out! (Hobbits have chest hair?!)

7. You can`t really see this now, but in theaters, when they are all at the Black Gate, Sauron is whispering Aragorn`s name. When you see Aragorn, look behing him to his right. Legolas is leaning out of the screen, but in theaters you could see his face. His eyes were squinted and He looked like he was about to vomit!

8. Through-out the movie (and TTT) Theoden`s beard is always a greenish color. Grody!

That`s all I can think of for now, but I`ll probably have more later.
Arwen Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 06:47 PM   #2
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Well, when Barad-dûr is falling down there is a shot of Aragorn. On his right there is a guy whose mouth is O-shaped, like he is trying to blow the tower down or something.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:51 PM   #3
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nimrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I can't think of too many right now, but here's what I found odd:

During Pippin's song when Faramir and his men are riding out to meet the Uruks; if you look, Faramir's horse doesn't have one of those "fancy shields" across its chest, it's just a plain ring of metal. However, the rest of the horses do have these "shields." Bit odd for the head officer to go without a mark of distinction isn't it?

I noticed that thing with Legolas; when he's climbing up the Mumak he does look to be a little bit too large.

Aragorn's voice changes a few times during his "pep talk" at the Plains of Gorgoroth; it sounds as though he has an air bubble in his throat.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:59 PM   #4
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
6. After taking the palantir (when Gandy is talking to him) Pippin is lying on the floor. Through his shirt you can see chest hair poking out! (Hobbits have chest hair?!)
Of course! It's thick, brown, & curly, like the stuff on their heads .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 05:20 AM   #5
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

I agree about Aragorn's voice changes. Remember the Council of Elrond, and Viggo's bizarre delivery of the line "It has no other master!"?
Old 06-11-2004, 11:38 PM   #6
Quirkette
Haunting Spirit

Quirkette has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Okay, this may be a bit smart allecky, but I've seen the film a lot and here's what I find silly. I've said a couple of them before.

When Sam says he wants to share Frodo's load, it is echoed and there's a close-up of his lips! And it sounds so condescending! No wonder Frodo got all panicky. And then, as Sam is about to hand the ring to Frodo in the tower, he seems reluctant to do so, and he looks at Frodo as though he had two heads. I wish I could've seen what he was seeing. Wouldn't it be cool if they put a weird make-up effect in there, like they did with Bilbo? They totally should've done that to explain his reluctance.

When Gollum exclaims that he wouldn't hurt a fly, he slaps his hand to his head, pulls it away, and shrieks in dismay. I think, "He's upset because he killed a fly when he did it, and he sees the little dead fly smooshed on his hand!" Of course, it was really the blood Sam caused.

When Sam finds the lembas at the bottom of the stairs, I don't think he picked them up at all. Why not, ain't crumbs better than nothing?

Then Legolas asks Gimli if he'd imagined dying side by side with a friend. I keep hoping Gimli will reply, "You know perfectly well I don't HAVE any friends!"

And also, there is absolutely no Sauraman or Wormtongue in this movie (but I imagine they'll be in the extended edition). That's odd, eh? Please don't smack me!
Old 06-12-2004, 01:44 AM   #7
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Quote:
I think, "He's upset because he killed a fly when he did it, and he sees the little dead fly smooshed on his hand!"
That's what I thought so, too, the first couple of times I saw the movie.

Ok, a thing that really makes me laugh everytime I see it, is this: At Edoras, after Pippin looked in the Palantir and everybody is in that large hall talking, suddenly there is a bird's eye view of the room and a man walks in the background from one side to the other, with a big dog on a leash. The dog looks like a greyhound. This is probably not something so out of the ordinary, but come to think of it it's pretty gratuituous - it's as if someone said: 'let's add a bit of motion to an otherwise static scene, let's create a diversion" I can imagine this scene being directed by PJ: "Alright, Ian, Viggo, and the rest, resume your places and look serious. Billy, you look guilty. Cue man with dog, you're on in two seconds!And, action!"
This scene reminds me of a similar scene in XF the Movie, as Mulder walks away from the car, right before it blows up, there is a rat that scurries from one side to the other. That would have been hilarious indeed had it been directed that way, only it wasn't; the rat just happened to walk by at that particular time, and they kept that shot in the movie.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:00 PM   #8
Arwen Evenstar

Send a message via AIM to Arwen Evenstar Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Evenstar
White Tree

Yes, I noticed all of those and was going to post the one about Aragorn. In his "pep talk" he says," I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me." I can`t help but laugh because of the way he says me.

Here are some more:

1. When the Gondorian soldiers are catapulting (sp?) rocks at the orcs, I believe they are throwing pieces of the city.

2. I`m not sure, but when Aragorn sees the beacon lit he has cup in his hand. I think he throws it when he runs to the Golden Hall.

3. When Gandalf and Pippin are talking in Minas Tirith ( the part where Pip says,"I didn`t think it would end this way." and Gandalf starts talking about the white shores and such.) , look at Billy Boyd`s neck. You can actually see his pulse! I just thought there was something funny about that.

4. Rather sad, but when the Nazgûl are picking up the men and dropping them, they bouce off the roof-tops.

5. Peter Jackson makes many cameo appearances through-out all 3 of the movies, but I think the funniest one, is of him riding a horse. It`s when Rohan charges at the Pellenor. Watch the riders closely and you`ll probably see him.

6. When the Battle of the Pellenor fields is just about over, Aragorn stops fighting, and when you look behind him, you can see the dead attacking one of the Mumakil.

7. When Sam gives Frodo his water, Frodo spills some. Look at the expression on Sam`s face. It almost like he`s think," Great job, Mr. Frodo! You just wasted like 5 drops! I could have drank that!"

8. When Merry and Èowyn kill the Witch King, it starts shriveling up and makes a noize like when you pull on the sides of a balloon and release the air!
Old 06-13-2004, 08:19 PM   #9
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

Awesome thread! Here's one I found: In the crowning of Elessar (Aragorn), after Gandalf puts the crown on Aragorn and it's a long shot, you can see closely that Gandalf is wearing tennis shoes. I didn't know maiar could make shoes
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 09:25 AM   #10
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree <==The Lofty Tree of Gondor

Quote:
1. When the Gondorian soldiers are catapulting (sp?) rocks at the orcs, I believe they are throwing pieces of the city.
*snork!* And actually, those aren't catapults; they're trebuchets.

1. When Shelob stings Frodo, they maybe keep the camera on Frodo's face a tad too long; with the expression he has like he's about to throw up, you really can't look at him for that long without laughing!

2. Any and all of Legolas's "Captain Obvious" moments.

3. *this is only for people who watch Homestar Runner* When Denethor notices that Faramir is, in fact, not dead, I always imagine him thinking: "Hm, looks like my son isn't really dead. So I'm gonna have to jump!" *snork* You must have watched the "Stunt Double" episode of Strong Bad Email to get this...

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 06-14-2004, 12:04 PM   #11
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

In a long shot of Faramir's troops making their last assault on Osgiliath, two of the horses switch places on the left side of the line. I thought these were Gondor's finest, and they can't handle their horses?

Whenever Sam finds the lembas I think he's going to eat some and the Popeye the Sailorman music will start playing...
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 01:10 PM   #12
Arwen Evenstar

Sting Thanks Perky Ent!

Yeah, I know they`re trebuchets, Sapphire_Flame. I just couldn`t remember the name at the time.

Is Gandy really wearing tennis shoes at the crowning of Elessar? I`ll have to look into that!
Old 06-14-2004, 01:40 PM   #13
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
i thought he was simply weairng those white slipper things like in meduseld.(hose look like fottsy pajamas.)

and when sam and frodo hug while laying on mount doom after the ring is destroyed they look like theyre going to kiss!

and yes i remember the "no other master line"
Old 06-14-2004, 01:54 PM   #14
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Quote:
1. When Shelob stings Frodo, they maybe keep the camera on Frodo's face a tad too long; with the expression he has like he's about to throw up, you really can't look at him for that long without laughing!
You're right. And he also makes this weird little noises, like a distraught puppy. I mean, it's the last thing you expect to hear. I for one was expecting a howl of pain.
Quote:
Whenever Sam finds the lembas I think he's going to eat some and the Popeye the Sailorman music will start playing...
hahaha! The mental image was priceless! Anyway, I was thinking along the same lines, tht he's gonna gather them up and thank Eru for his luck. That's what the book Sam would have done anyway...
Old 06-14-2004, 02:19 PM   #15
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
*snerks madly*

Aragorn explains the whole thing about going to the Black Gate to distract Sauron, then looks directly at Legolas and explains it again. Then Legolas says "A diversion!" like he just got it!

Quote:
You're right. And he also makes this weird little noises, like a distraught puppy. I mean, it's the last thing you expect to hear. I for one was expecting a howl of pain.
StabbedFrodo imitations...I pull a face like I'm going to throw up, and make squeaky urk noises, and everyone doubles over laughing. Great fun at parties!

Last edited by Elennar Starfire; 06-14-2004 at 02:19 PM. Reason: small modification
Elennar Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:58 PM   #16
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

*3. *this is only for people who watch Homestar Runner* When Denethor notices that Faramir is, in fact, not dead, I always imagine him thinking: "Hm, looks like my son isn't really dead. So I'm gonna have to jump!" *snork* You must have watched the "Stunt Double" episode of Strong Bad Email to get this...*

Oooh, I'm gonna have to watch that one; haven't been on there in awhile. ("Now he needs a really cool name. How about...'Trogdor, the Burninator.') I noticed that with the chunks of the city; too bad that really freakin' ugly orc moved...(@#$%! I need that evil smilie back!!! )
Old 06-17-2004, 01:52 PM   #17
Arwen Evenstar

Narya

I just had to say that I completely agree with your signature, Nimrothiel. Ssstupid fat J.K. Rowling! Curse her! We hatess her!
Old 06-17-2004, 02:37 PM   #18
Sauron_the_Abhorred
Animated Skeleton

Sauron_the_Abhorred has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Hey Firefoot- I noticed the exact same thing with the guy blowing down Barad-dur...I think I even posted it on another thread soon after the movie came out--evil Firefoot gets all the credit....
Sauron_the_Abhorred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 02:45 PM   #19
Arwen Evenstar

Ring

I noticed that too, Firefoot, but on my DVD you can`t see him.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:21 PM   #20
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
StabbedFrodo imitations...I pull a face like I'm going to throw up, and make squeaky urk noises, and everyone doubles over laughing. Great fun at parties!
*SNORK!* I'll have to try that sometime! ^ ^

Okay, this one is complicated, and self-inflicted. Remember the scene with Denethor eating? Keep those slurping ew-ness sounds in the back of your mind until the end of the film, when there's that nice vapour-lock, kissy moment between Aragorn and Arwen. Reinsert the sounds. Ta-da! An extraordinarily amusing moment! *My apologies to all Aragorn and Arwen fans*

Another one: In Mount Doom, when Frodo and Gollum are fighting over the Ring... "And I'm like, 'Give it!'! And he's like 'Make me!'! And I'm like, '...'Kay!'!" *You need to have heard "Albuquerque" by Weird Al to really get this...*

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 06-18-2004, 07:31 AM   #21
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots Re. Frodo...sting...near death

Some of you people need help. Death in The Lord of the Rings is not funny (despite the best attempts by movie-Denethor).
Old 06-18-2004, 05:38 PM   #22
Arwen Evenstar

Silmaril

Quote:
*My apologies to all Aragorn and Arwen fans*
I accept your apology, Sapphire_Flame.

I agree with you, Èomer. Death is not funny, though Denethor`s death scene in the movie did have me rolling with laughter for about 10 minutes. There was nothing I liked about him.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:16 PM   #23
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Denethor's movie death had me staring at the screen in stunned silence, already planning a vitriolic tonguelashing on the Downs.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:19 PM   #24
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
I noticed that & couldn't help but think two things:

a. They loaded them awfully quickly
-& (more importantly)
b. Just how did they load them?

I mean, those things looked to me like they would've weighed quite a bit !
Maybe the EE will have something on one or both of my questions, who knows?

Quote:
Denethor's movie death had me staring at the screen in stunned silence, already planning a vitriolic tonguelashing on the Downs.
We must be related in some way, Eomer.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:01 PM   #25
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

*Another one: In Mount Doom, when Frodo and Gollum are fighting over the Ring... "And I'm like, 'Give it!'! And he's like 'Make me!'! And I'm like, '...'Kay!'!" *You need to have heard "Albuquerque" by Weird Al to really get this...**

Sapphire_flame, you are starting to scare me with all the things that we have in common; "Weird Al" is one of my favorite artists. This is embarassing, but once again I have nothing to post regarding this topic. (I'm holding out for the EE before I buy the movie.) However, I'm curious as to how many people have seen the car in the background of "Fellowship." (The part where Sam and Frodo are leaving the Shire; look in the background and you'll see what should be smoke from a chimney except that it's not moving like normal smoke.)
Old 06-21-2004, 03:43 PM   #26
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

I SAW THE CAR!! My friend saw it too. They doctored it out of the DVD though, at least the EE version.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:19 PM   #27
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
I SAW THE CAR!! My friend saw it too. They doctored it out of the DVD though, at least the EE version.
Actully it never made it to any VHS/DVD release. Before they turned out 'our copies', they edited it out, or, as I've heard, made it look like it was smoke coming out of a chimney (did they just add the house in?).

This topic gives us a silly thing to look for in real life:

I love it when people insist that they've seen the car everyone's talking about, in fact, they've seen it 'hundreds of times' on their DVD at home. I love the look on their face when you tell them that they're seeing things because it never made it to their DVD .
Old 06-21-2004, 05:48 PM   #28
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

The Denethor-dive had my head squeezed between my hands, followed by:

"Oh, good lord." followed by a murmer to my brother: "They're going to have field day with that one on the Downs tomorrow."

I did catch that car in the first movie, but I thought it was only a figment of my imagination when it wasn't in the home versions. I'm glad I'm not totally insane.

Also, I think that the Gondorians were indeed catapulting bits of the city at the Mordor army. I guess that when the orcs broke pieces off of the walls, they figured they wouldn't waste anything.

Ah, the irony of being crushed by a piece of the city you're trying to invade. Or maybe that's prophetic. Who knows?
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:30 AM   #29
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hama Of The Riddermark has just left Hobbiton.
If you look REALLY hard when Aragorn is giving his big speech, towards the centre of one of the shots (you have to watch REALLY hard the whole way through) there is a rider of Rohan wearing glasses...I noticed that in the cinema, and I think it made it to DVD release...keep your eyes peeled...
Hama Of The Riddermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 01:37 PM   #30
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

Eowyn Skywalker will like this one:

In the fight scene right before Gandalf rides out to save the remaing force of Osgiliath one of the orcs has a red and black patterned tattoo covering his entire head; it looks suspiciously similar to Darth Maul's.

I always thought it was hilarious that the orc who says "Stay where you are" when the "pieces of the city" are falling on them moves away from one at the last second. Not to mention the fact that everyone else had moved out of the way and he was standing by himself at the time of impact. (Or she, one of my managers at work had a pinched nerve in her cheek at the time, and her face was kind of lopsided for awhile. She also has really bad teeth...) (Pardon my continued ranting, but I need that evil smilie back!!!!)
Old 06-22-2004, 02:31 PM   #31
Sauron_the_Abhorred
Animated Skeleton

Sauron_the_Abhorred has just left Hobbiton.
The Gondorians are throwing pieces of the city at the Orcs, because in one scene, near a catapult, you can hear some guy yelling "We need more rubble!", so I guessed it meant that they were using the pieces of Minas Tirith that the Orcses that doesn't taste very good broke off with their catapults.
Another strange thing(this isn't really silly) is that these same two kids (Peter Jackson's children) manage to show up in almost EVERY scene. When Faramir and his men are leaving to Osgilath, and about to die, you see them, and they are at Sam and Rosie's wedding. They are also in FotR, some of the kids listening to Bilbo's story.

And another thing that I think is funny is whenever the Nazgul are killed by those fireball from Mount Doom. They make this hilarious noise, like they were chewing some gum, and when they get hit by the fireballs, they swallow the gum and start choking. It just sounds really funny to me.
Sauron_the_Abhorred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:07 PM   #32
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
The Gondorians are throwing pieces of the city at the Orcs, because in one scene, near a catapult, you can hear some guy yelling "We need more rubble!", so I guessed it meant that they were using the pieces of Minas Tirith that the Orcses that doesn't taste very good broke off with their catapults.
Although I agree that they were firing off pieces of the city, how did they load them? Those are pretty big chunks, & I presume they're heavy too...

Quote:
these same two kids (Peter Jackson's children) manage to show up in almost EVERY scene. When Faramir and his men are leaving to Osgilath, and about to die, you see them, and they are at Sam and Rosie's wedding. They are also in FotR, some of the kids listening to Bilbo's story.
And they're in the caves under Helm's Deep in TTT. I'm sure there's yet another place that I'm forgetting, but I'm not sure about that.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:40 PM   #33
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Another thing...you know how the scene between Frodo and Sam when Sam says, "Don't go where I can't follow!" is supposed to be moving and a tear-jerker? In the movie, they completely ruined it. The expression on Frodo's face made me burst out laughing in the cinema, and afterwards I was quite upset that I wasn't able to cry my face off. Why couldn't his eyes have been closed?!

[EDIT] Another thing; when Elrond and Aragorn are talking in the tent, there is a line that goes "I give my hope to Men; I keep none for myself." I can't remember who says it, but I believe that's a quote that Professor Tolkien himself said. It made me happy to see it in there.

Last edited by Mad Baggins; 06-22-2004 at 06:56 PM.
Mad Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 08:35 PM   #34
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
Another thing; when Elrond and Aragorn are talking in the tent, there is a line that goes "I give my hope to Men; I keep none for myself." I can't remember who says it, but I believe that's a quote that Professor Tolkien himself said. It made me happy to see it in there.
Elrond says "I give hope to men." (in Elvish, of course), and Aragorn follows with "I keep none for myself." (in Elvish of course) I'm not sure if the Professor himself said it, but I'm pretty sure that Aragorn's mother said it to Aragorn before she died. I thought it was pretty cool to include it, too.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:10 PM   #35
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

When Aragorn and Co. ride up to the Black Gate, in one shot, look over Aragorn's right (his right) shoulder, and look at "Pippin's" face behind the helmet. If you look closely, you will notice that it is not Billy Boyd's face, but the face of his female double!
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 10:02 AM   #36
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Ah, the irony of being crushed by a piece of the city you're trying to invade.
That's my new quote of the week, I've just decided.

Quote:
When Aragorn and Co. ride up to the Black Gate, in one shot, look over Aragorn's right (his right) shoulder, and look at "Pippin's" face behind the helmet. If you look closely, you will notice that it is not Billy Boyd's face, but the face of his female double!
I noticed that too, Rilwen! Hopefully they'll get that fixed for the EV. I was thoroughly annoyed by that.

Quote:
Sapphire_flame, you are starting to scare me with all the things that we have in common; "Weird Al" is one of my favorite artists.
Alright, this is getting creepy. You must be my long-lost twin or something.

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 06-23-2004, 10:23 AM   #37
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Since they were talking about it only a few posts back and it's a simple yes/no answer: Did they subtitle the "Onen estel i-Edain..." lines at first in the theatres? I seem to remember hearing the the Elvish and not seeing subtitles then trying to translate it myself (only getting that they said something about hope.) I also seem to remember my mom asking me what they said. My mom has poor eye-sight so it could've been that she couldn't read the sub-titles but it could also be that they weren't there the first time. But then, the last time I went to see it, I was already to make sure they were saying the linnod thingy, and it was all the sudden sub-titled. Did they go back and add it sometime? While it was still in theatres? Didn't they do something like that in TTT too, with "To the keep!/Nan barad!"?
Old 06-23-2004, 03:48 PM   #38
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Quote:
Since they were talking about it only a few posts back and it's a simple yes/no answer: Did they subtitle the "Onen estel i-Edain..." lines at first in the theatres?
Yes. (simple answer)

I know they did because I remember noticing my name (here at least) in it twice. (a short explanation I couldn't help adding )
Old 06-23-2004, 05:34 PM   #39
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
EEEP! I thought my friends and I were the only people in the world who knew what a trebuchet was...You have just made me extremely happy.
My question about the trebuchets is, where's the cradle/track thing to guide the pieces with? We made models of them for Science Club (yes, I'm a geek) and there's supposed to be a shallow cradle between the legs to guide the loaded sling. I didn't see any in the movie, and trebuchets don't work too well (in my experience) without one. Without the sling, you have to put it right where the cocked throwing arm sits, and the slack in the sling is taken up all at once, which does "interesting" things to the accuracy and power of your missle.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:26 AM   #40
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

White Tree

Relax, they're in there. It's easy to miss, they only show one good shot of a piece of the city being launched with the sling following through; I almost missed it myself. Um, yeah, nothing new; check out the "What Happens When I am Bored" thread, I posted an interesting link.