The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2004, 03:05 PM   #1
gilgalad_the_Valiant

White Tree Middle Earth Architecture

I dont know if this has been discused before but I had recently notices that Gondor and the Elves were the only civilizations that built towers, I believe that gondor builds towers because of the lineage to numenor, who were part elven, if im not mistaken. But you may say about Barad-Dur, I have through about this, and since sauron was under the service of melkor in the first age, and most of melkor's creations were made in mockery of other races (elves/orcs, trolls/ents etc.) so I believe that sauron, taking a page from Melkor, built Barad-Dur as a mockery of Minas Tirith and Minas Ithil. What do you nthink?
Old 11-02-2004, 03:39 PM   #2
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Tolkien

I think you'll need to add valar/maiar to the list, since there are towers in Valinor; and that would take care of Sauron, and Melkor too (recall the Thangorodrim.)

And if you change "Gondor" to "Numenoreans", then you've got something interesting: Valar/Maiar, Elves, Numenoreans. Dol Amroth and Isengard, Minas Anor and Minas Ithil-- i think those are all of Numenorean origin? Elves of course built the white towers on the Tower Hills past the Shire.

Who built Amon Sul...? I forget.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:11 PM   #3
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dűm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Amon Sul was built by Elendil (Numenorian) for keeping the Palantir
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 11:08 AM   #4
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
I think it's logical to make high buildings when living at the sea like the Valar and the Numenoreans at some point did. They didn't have light houses (except in Mordor in the 3rd age...ehh - sorry) but a high building can be seen quite far on a clear day like one can see far from a tower as well. It's also an advantage in war if the approaching enemy can be seen as early as possible.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:34 PM   #5
Tuor of Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Pennsylvania, WtR, passed Sarn Gebir: Above the rapids (1239 miles) BtR, passed Black Rider Stopping Place (31 miles)
Tuor of Gondolin has just left Hobbiton.
The Rohirrim, while related to Numenoreans, weren't Numenoreans. So did
they build and/or improve Helm's Deep, or did Gondorians when they lived in
Calenardhon? (As Gondorians did build Orthanc).
Old 11-03-2004, 11:42 PM   #6
gilgalad_the_Valiant

Im pretty sure the Rohirrim built Helms Deep, I think it was Helm Hammerhand.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:22 AM   #7
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

But does Helm's Deep qualify as a "tower"? It strikes me more as a fortress.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:46 PM   #8
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12_30
But does Helm's Deep qualify as a "tower"? It strikes me more as a fortress.
Well, the Hornburg was a castle and so had towers. But, no, it was not a tower in the same way that Orthanc or Barad-Dur were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgalad_the_Valiant
Im pretty sure the Rohirrim built Helms Deep, I think it was Helm Hammerhand.
It was built by the Gondorians when the Deeping Coomb formed part of their realm. It was within the land of Calenardhom granted by Cirion to Eorl, and so became a place of refuge for the Rohirrim. Helm Hammerhand and his people took refuge there when Rohan was invaded by Dunlendings, and the fortification as a whole (of which the Hornburg was a part) takes its "current" name from him.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:35 PM   #9
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots A towering absence

What I find fascinating is the absence of a particular kind of tower--or, at least, a tower of legend. Or perhaps I have forgotten about a reference?

Tolkien 'builds' mythological references into his Legendarium--Akallabęth is a rewriting of the Atlantis myth. And he is profoundly interested in language. Yet his Legendarium does not have something like the Tower of Babel to account for the diversity of languages. Perhaps his professional interest in philology meant he lacked sufficient interest in this event?

Can anyone recall anything in the Letters about the Tower of Babel?
Old 11-04-2004, 02:52 PM   #10
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Just had a quick look through 'Letters' and I couldn't immediately spot anything abut the Tower of Babel. But, surely Tolkien would have found the tale to have resulted in something good, seeing as he was a philologist? It does have similarities to the story of the downfall of Numenor - men getting 'above themselves', trying to get too close to something which they ought to remain apart from, and the result of this excess being divine intervention in the form of destruction. But the result of the Tower of Babel was that all men spoke many different languages, surely something Tolkien would approve of?

I've always thought of the image of the 'tower' as being something drawn more from medieval legend and onwards, but maybe someone can prove me wrong?

About Helm's Deep, my father told me an interesting story. Apparently there is or was a fortress in the India/Pakistan region which is constructed along identical lines. He read about this a long time ago but could not recall exactly where the fortress was. If any 'Downers know of this, it might be interesting to compare the two.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:53 PM   #11
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hmmm. . .Babel eh?

Seems to me that what forms a minor incident in the Bible is for Tolkien the "whole" story. When the Elves 'awoke' they spoke a single language, but the instant they began to fragment and fall away from their destiny (that is, when the Avari decided not to go into the West, and when there were other houses of Elves that fell away on the journey into the West) that is when the original language of the Elves began to fragment and devolve into new languages.

This seems to happen again and again -- with every sundering (between Elves and Men, and then within the races themselves) there are new languages. It's like the Tower of Babel is falling all the time.

Only the Dwarves seem able to hold onto their common language, but only by hoarding it and keeping it secret and away from others. Their language is not really a 'living' tongue but kind of a museum piece.

This, however, has nothing to do with towers so I shall be quiet. Although I might say, the preponderence of towers might be some form of allusion to the Tower of Babel???
Old 11-04-2004, 03:12 PM   #12
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Fordie, have you read "Splintering of Light" by Fliegel? Child recommended it. You are connecting with it language-wise.

There are threads discussing this somewhere in books; try a search on "splintered"?

Bus to catch, must run...