The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Admin. Thread - Tol-in-Gaurhoth LVII: Chess Game for Middle Earth

This game will be perhaps a bit more role-heavy than most games.

Roles

Black Bishop, Black Knight, Black Rook - Werewolves of the gifted style. The Bishop is an Evil Seer, the Knight an Evil Ranger (who can protect themselves once, and cannot protect the same player twice in a row), and the Rook an Evil Hunter (who takes the person they're hunting with them when they die, irrespective of role).

Black Queen - Werebear.

Black Pawn - Cobbler. If dreamt, appears as an ordinary innocent.

White Bishop - Gifted Seer. Can PM other Gifteds at night (and they can PM back) if they dream of one.

White Knight - Gifted Ranger. Can protect themselves once during the game, and cannot protect the same player twice.

White Rook - Gifted Hunter. Only takes the person they're hunting with them if they're evil. Can take the Black Pawn with them.

White Queen - ??? Guess you'll have to find out.

White Pawns - Ordinary innocents.

Votes are retractable once per day. They should appear as follows:

++Shasta

and retracted as follows:

--Shasta

In the event of a tie, lynch will be randomized between everyone involved.

If a player does not vote for two days in a row, modfire will happen.

Votes will be locked on the hour, as according to the BD clock. Even if I'm a few minutes late with my post (which has happened once or twice as I'm bad at syncing clocks), no votes will be counted after XX:01.

The game will begin roughly a week from now, depending on the number of players, at 12:00 AM CST (which, I believe, is GMT -6). Please, though, if that's wrong, feel free to correct me.

You may now sign up.

Players:
Mirandir
Durelin
Feanor of the Peredhil
Isabellkya
Nerwen
Eomer of the Rohirrim
the phantom
Brinniel
satansaloser2005
Gwathagor
Lariren Shadow
wilwarin538
Rikae
Eonwe
Nogrod
Mnemosyne
Kath
Hansy

?Legate?
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV

Last edited by Shastanis Althreduin; 02-21-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #2
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Please don't kill me, but as of now I can't play. Sorry, honey.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm in.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yeah, wow, that's a lot of roles...

I'll play.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Fine. I'm playing.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:35 AM   #6
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I am game for this game. xD
Old 02-09-2009, 03:02 AM   #7
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Count me in. I expected I'll be the victim of a payback lynch on Day One, though...
Old 02-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

It's been a while since I played in a game where I haven't wanted to lynch Shasta, but sign me up all the same!
Old 02-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Ooh, a chess match. Can't pass this one up.

I'm in.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Soon you're probably going to tell me Saucie will return from his absence and join this game, too...

I'd love to play but I don't think I have the time. However, if that happens, I promise to consider it (or, alternatively, it takes really long to get going).
Old 02-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'll hopefully play. Depends on the date and such.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:15 PM   #12
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Steve, you should totally play.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:14 PM   #13
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I think I promised you at some point that I'd join your game when it came up...so I'd certainly be a terrible person not to. And anyway, me not joining a WW game? Unheard of!

Do you plan on having the correct number of white pawns in this game? According to Wiki, that'd be eight....making the total of seventeen players. Or do you simply plan to take whoever signs up, no matter the number?

Also, with the werebear, does this mean there will be two kills every Night? Or will it be done on alternating Nights or something? If there are two kills every Night, I'm assuming this will have to be a fairly large game in order to balance things out. Though I don't exactly know since I don't recall I've played with a werebear before..

Lastly, I really hope knowing how to play chess is not a requirement for this game.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:05 AM   #14
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hey, Shasta, guess what? My computer's not a complete loss so I can play after all!

Sign me up, dearie!
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:14 AM   #15
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
I think I promised you at some point that I'd join your game when it came up...so I'd certainly be a terrible person not to. And anyway, me not joining a WW game? Unheard of!

Do you plan on having the correct number of white pawns in this game? According to Wiki, that'd be eight....making the total of seventeen players. Or do you simply plan to take whoever signs up, no matter the number?

Also, with the werebear, does this mean there will be two kills every Night? Or will it be done on alternating Nights or something? If there are two kills every Night, I'm assuming this will have to be a fairly large game in order to balance things out. Though I don't exactly know since I don't recall I've played with a werebear before..

Lastly, I really hope knowing how to play chess is not a requirement for this game.
I'm taking everyone who signs up, but I hope to have at least that number, since there will be two attacks per Night. And knowing how to play isn't a requirement; however, it might be a requirement to figure out the death notations!
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Old 02-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #16
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Very confusing...and tempting. Looks like a fun game with interesting new concepts but I don't know if I can participate. RL suffered rather from last game. I'll think about it. Put me down as a maybe if you like, or just as a no, and I can jump in later if there's still a spot and I want it.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #17
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
The Shadowblade is playing.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #18
Lariren Shadow
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lariren Shadow is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via AIM to Lariren Shadow Send a message via MSN to Lariren Shadow
So part of me really wants to play. Like really truly wants to play. And part of me also knows I'm going to start freaking out the big paper I have to write this term...

Screw it I'm in.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:46 PM   #19
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Maybe it'll be easier this time with us all being on vacation in different places next week, Mira and Lari.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #20
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Maybe it'll be easier this time with us all being on vacation in different places next week, Mira and Lari.
Somehow I seriously doubt that.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #21
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

I haven't been a round here in a while but I'd like to jump back in and I think this would be a great way to do that, and to get to know some of the new faces I'm seeing. The changes to the game seem really neat, I'd definetely need to spend some time reading through the last few games to see how it's being done now, don't want to be completely lost, .

So I'd like to play, if you'll have me!
Old 02-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #22
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
I haven't been a round here in a while but I'd like to jump back in and I think this would be a great way to do that, and to get to know some of the new faces I'm seeing. The changes to the game seem really neat, I'd definetely need to spend some time reading through the last few games to see how it's being done now, don't want to be completely lost, .

So I'd like to play, if you'll have me!
I don't think I've ever seen you around, but I'm glad to have you on board.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #23
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Wilwa! Hooray for people from my impressionable youth...
Old 02-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #24
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ah Fea, I was really happy to see you were still around, and it will be fun to play this with you again! Also happy to see Eomer and Phantom on the players list, those two definitely make this game interesting. Hopefully I haven't completely lost my abilities to play, haha!

Now I'm off to spend a few hours reading up on the last few games!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #25
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Quick question. What exactly is a Cobbler? That's a new one for me.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #26
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Quote:
Quick question. What exactly is a Cobbler? That's a new one for me.
A Cobbler is, in effect, a plain innocent who wants the baddies to win and tries to help them. They have no powers and count as an innocent in the village total.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #27
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Of course, I should have known that , I remember TORE doing a wonderful job as Cobbler in one game I played.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #28
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Indeed wilwa, I seem to remember that you played the role of girl-who-innocently-believes-Eomer-leading-to-bloodbath. How come TORE doesn't play anymore?

Good to see you again!
Old 02-13-2009, 01:09 PM   #29
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

Silmaril

Yes, that was me indeed, it was my first game and I had no clue what I was doing, so I was an easy pawn to your wolfish schemes . But in one of my last games I was the sneaky one with the wolfish schemes that lead to all three wolves surviving to the end, and no one suspected me in that one . So I won't be falling for your tricks again any time soon Eomer .

That's why I'm very excited about the player list for this games, some names I recognise as being very accomplished players, and other's I don't recognise but I know probably have many tricks up their sleeves. It's an interesting situation for me, I have played many of these games and yet I'm coming into this one practically as a newbie.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #30
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

Having never played in a werebear game where I wasn't the werebear - I think I'll sign up.

I am the white bishop, knight, and rook of course (just to get that out of the way).
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #31
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Oh dear. Is anyone else going to sign up? What about those "maybes"?
Old 02-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #32
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Could you put me down as a maybe until a little later today or tomorrow when I've had a chance to read the rules! I want to play I just need to check it all makes sense.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #33
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

I actually have a couple questions about the gifted wolves. I can understand how the Were-Seer would work, but the Were-Ranger and Were-Hunter confused me a bit, how exactly would that work?

It would be fun to have you in the game Kath!
Old 02-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #34
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm definitely in if the game starts this week.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:38 PM   #35
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sorry, I'm officially out of this game - too many other things I need to be doing. I hope everyone has fun!
Old 02-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #36
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
A chess theme, and a nice looking bunch of players, and a role-play oriented game, and having had a way too terrible games the last few times (being lynched or killed by the wolves very early on), and having had exhausting weeks in RL workwise, I really need a break-away...

Yes, count me in Shasta.

PS. Let me warn you that I may try some new openings in this game. Like I haven't said this a thousand times before... but let's see.

Last edited by Nogrod; 02-15-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #37
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Quote:
I actually have a couple questions about the gifted wolves. I can understand how the Were-Seer would work, but the Were-Ranger and Were-Hunter confused me a bit, how exactly would that work?

It would be fun to have you in the game Kath!

The evil Ranger and Hunter work exactly the same as the Gifted Ranger and Hunter, except that the evil Hunter will take the person they are hunting down with them when they die, regardless of alignment.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:58 AM   #38
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sorry, just poking my nose in here out of curiosity...I'm still confused about the evil Hunter and Ranger.
Do the werecreatures know each other's identities? In which case, how would an evil Hunter ever take anything but an innocent with them?
And the evil Ranger...against what would he be protecting his fellows? The werebear?
Old 02-16-2009, 11:35 AM   #39
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
Sorry, just poking my nose in here out of curiosity...I'm still confused about the evil Hunter and Ranger.
Do the werecreatures know each other's identities? In which case, how would an evil Hunter ever take anything but an innocent with them?
And the evil Ranger...against what would he be protecting his fellows? The werebear?
The Black Queen and the Black Rook, Knight, and Bishop aren't the same team. The Black Knight could protect his team from the Queen, or perhaps protect someone else to be able to claim Ranger later, or something. The Black Rook could potentially take the Black Queen or Pawn with them, or an innocent.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:52 PM   #40
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Hmm, this sounds interesting.

I think I'll join.

P.S. Quack.