The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-13-2003, 11:01 AM   #1
Tenduriel
Animated Skeleton

Tenduriel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting how did middle-earth evolve in the fourth age?

this is what i have been wondering a long time now, but could never find an answer to: how did history continue after the destruction of the One Ring and the return of the blood of Numenorian kings to Gondor? did the elves really leave the coasts of Middle-Earth? or did they stay there, as they had done several times before, ignoring the offer and even the order of the Valar? did the world evolve into a completely human (and thus very poor) society? or is there still some magic in it, hidden in deep and unseen places?

O mór henion i dhû - Ely siriar, êl síla - Ai! Aniron Undómiel - Tiro! Êl eria e môr. - I 'lîr en êl luitha 'uren. - Ai! Aniron
Tenduriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 11:31 AM   #2
Jurion
Haunting Spirit

Jurion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The fourth age started when Elrond sailed into the West, at that time there were still some elves present in Middle Earth, most notably Celeborn and the sons of Elrond, I think that some other Elves also remained in Middle Earth.

It was even suggested by Tolkien that hobbits are still around today "But the regions in which Hobbits then lived were doubtless the same as those in which they still linger" (FotR, Prologue)

In the Fourth Age the time of elves was over and the dominion of men began so yes, it is quite clear that the world is now completely human. But then again you never know, do you. You never know what lurks in the depths of the earth or in long forgotten places.

And if you believe the stories that were told in the Middle Ages then it is not unlikely that elves and dwarves and hobbits and other beings from the Third Age still dwelt in Europe.

[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: Jurion ]
Jurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 11:43 AM   #3
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Encyclopedia of Arda has a very intersting article about the Fourth Age here

The most interesting is this though:
Quote:
Although we have no records of the later Fourth, or any following Age, Tolkien makes a brief allusion to the future of Middle-earth in a letter written in 1958: "I imagine the gap [between the Fall of Barad-dûr and modern times] to be about 6000 years; that is we are now at the end of the Fifth Age, if the Ages were of about the same length as S[econd] A[ge] and T[hird] A[ge]. But they have, I think, quickened; and I imagine we are actually at the end of the Sixth Age, or in the Seventh."
Hope that helps [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 01:07 PM   #4
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would say that the best way of describing the world in repect to the elves after the third age would be a very piece of work, the Epilogue to the Lost Tales, written by Eriol after the invasion of Tol Eressea (the idea of which was later scraped, or at least not mentioned again). This sums up what happened to the elves who were left "on earth", meaning not in Aman.

Quote:
And now is the end of the fair times come very nigh, and behold, all the beauty that yet was on earth- fragments of the unimagined loveliness of Valinor whence came the folk of the Elves long long ago - now goeth it all up in smoke. Here be a few tales, memories ill-told, of all that magic and that wonder twixt here and Eldamar of which I have become acquaint more than any mortal man since first my wondering footsteps come to this sad isle.

Of that last battle of the upland heath whose roof is the wide sky - nor was there any other place beneath the blue folds of Manwë's robe so night the heavens or so broadly and so well encanopied - what grievous things I saw I have told.

Already fade the Elves in sorrow and the Faring Forth had come to ruin, and Ilúvatar knoweth alone if ever now the trees shall be relit while the world may last. Behold, I stole by evening from the ruined heath, and my way fled winding down the valley of the Brook of Glass, but the setting of the Sun was blackened with the reek of fires, and the waters of the stream were fouled with the war of men and the grime of strife. Then was my heart bitter to see the bones of the good earth laid bare with winds where the destroying hands of men had torn the heather and the fern and burnt them to make sacrifice to Melko and to lust of ruin; and the thronging places of the bees that all day hummed among the whins and whortlebushes long ago bearing rich honey down to Tavrobel - these were now become fosses and mounds of stark red earth, and nought sang there nor danced but unwholesome airs and flies of pestilence.

Now the Sun died and behold, I came to that most magic wood where once the ageless oaks stood firm amid the later growths of beech and slender trees of birch, but all were fallen beneath the ruthless axes of unthinking men. Ah me, here was the path beaten with spells, trodden with musics and enchantment that wound therethrough, and this way the Elves went to ride a-hunting. Many a time there have I seen them and Gilfanon has been there, and they rode like kings unto the chase, and the beauty of their faces in the sun was as the new morning, and the wind in their golden hair like to the glory of bright flowers shaken at dawn, and the strong music of their voices like the sea and like trumpets and like the noise of very many viols and of golden harps unnumbered. And yet again have I seen the Tavrobel beneath the Moon, and they would ride or dance across the valley of the two rivers where the grey bridge leaps the joining waters; and they would fare swiftly as clad in dreams, sprangled with gems like to the grey dews amid the grass, and their white robes caught the long radiance of the Moon and their spears shivered with the silver flames.

And now sorrow has come to the Elves, empty is Tavrobel and all are fled, fearing the enemy that sitteth on the ruined heath, who is not a league away; whose hands are red with the blood of Elves and stained with the lives of his own kin, who has made himself an ally to Melko the Lord of Hate, who has fought for the Orcs and Gongs and unwholesome monsters of the world - blind, and a fool, and destruction alone is his knowledge. The paths of the fairies he has made to dusty roads where thirst lags wearily and no man greets another in the way, but passes by in sullenness.

So fade the Elves and it shall come to be that because of the encompassing waters of this isle and yet more because of their unquenchable love for it that few shall flee, but as men wax there and grow fat and yet more blind ever shall they fade more and grow less; and those of the after days shall scoff, saying Who are the fairies - lies told by women or foolish men - who are these fairies? And some few shall answer: memories faded dim, a wraith of vanishing loveliness in the trees, a rustle of the grass, a glint of dew, some subtle intonation of the wind; and others fewer shall say "Very small and delicate are the fairies now, yet we who have eyes to see and ears to hear, and Tavrobel and Kortirion are filled yet with this sweet folk. Spring knows them and Summer too and in Winter are they still among us, but in Autumn most of all do they come out, for Autumn is their season, fallen as they are upon the Autumn of their days. What shall the dreamers of the earth be like when their winter come."

Hark O my brothers, they shall say, the little trumpets blow; we hear a sound of instruments unimagined small. Like strands of wind, like mystic half-transparencies, Gilfanon Lord of Tavrobel rides out tonight amidst his folk, and hunts the elfin deer beneath the paling sky. A music of forgotten feet, a gleam of leaves, a sudden bending of the grass, and wistful voices murmuring on the bridge, and they are gone.

But behold, Tavrobel shall now know its name, and all the land be changed, and even these written words of mine belike will all be lost; as so I lay down the pen, and so of the fairies cease to tell.
- The Book of Lost Tales II

*very very tired* that took a long time to copy. I love it its one of my favourite pieces of writing of all time. Its how the world could be after the fall of the elves.