The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-08-2002, 10:53 AM   #1
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting morgoth & sauron

In vol 10 of the history of ME series, there's an essay by JRRT, in which he says that, taken to his logical extreme, Morgoth would destroy everything, reduce it to its primal elements, whereas Sauron would want to exercise absolute control over everything. So Tolkien seems to believe that either position, taken to its extreme, is just as evil. Is there any significance in the way its the Elves, who are the main opponents of Morgoth in the First age, & Men who are the main opponents of Sauron in the Third?
Morgoth is 'Dionysian' - are the Elves Appolonian? Sauron is Appolonian - are Men Dionysian? Would Men naturally be more easily corrupted by Morgoth, & Elves more easily corrupted by Sauron?
Am I confusing myself? Yes.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 03:59 PM   #2
Dior
Wight

Dior has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I believe that all you have said makes sense, about the elves & men and Morgoth & Sauron, but I don't think there was much of a descrepency with the amount of men siding w/Morgoth vs. the amount siding w/ Sauron. Maybe, though the wars that sauron fought to gain control over most men differed from how Morgoth got control of them, but that isn't really stated is it? If so, could someone enlighten me?
Old 10-09-2002, 04:45 AM   #3
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Ok, Dior, but is it really a matter of numbers of men? Isn't there something in the character of Elves & men which will draw them towards one or the other extreme?. Men would be more easily seduced by Morgoth, as something in him corresponds to something innate in their character, whereas Elves wopuld be more easily seduced by Sauron - hence the whole rings thing. Yes, there's the Numenorians, but in a way, weren't the Numenorians quite 'Elvish', at least in their desires/attitudes?
Old 10-09-2002, 05:20 AM   #4
bombur
Wight

bombur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would not go as far as saying that Morgoth is Dionysian and Sauron Apollonian. For example Morgoth is in many ocasions well and clearly in control of himself. Dionysian charachter generally is driven by whims and desires of the moment. Apollonian/dionysian division signifies much more then just goal of destruction/control. It is madness/reason, art/science, passion/restraint and much much more.

Men are certainly not dionysian in nature in my opinion. They do exhibit some kind of passion, reserve of strenght, that the immortals do not have. But think of eleves flight from Valinor and the Feanors oath. I doubt that men would to such degree allow their destiny be shaped by heat of the moment. And eleves always desired to build and craft. Men desired to rule and be kings. Which of theese is dionysian and which is apollonian?

I am sorry, but I cannot agree with your perception of this division.

Janne Harju
bombur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 07:09 AM   #5
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Sting

ok, Bombur, but I was speaking generally. Men are Generally 'dionysian' in character, Elves are Generally 'Appolonian'. Yes, there are differences within individuals. Elves seek a state of timeless perfection. Men are driven by the fact of their mortality to be dissatisfied in the realm of Arda - which see Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth.
I wasn't really wanting to push the technical definition of Appolonian/Dionysian, just using them as shorthand.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:15 PM   #6
Nils
Wight

Nils has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I woulnd't say that Men were more easily attracked to Morgoth. Look what Sauron did to Numenor. When it came to the rings of power, the Elves took off their rings, while Men embraced theirs.

***I am in no way saying that Elves were given their rings, this is just a comparison***

Sauron put more effort into seducing the Elves than he did Men, but it was the Men who followed him. Men are just more easily led to follow Evil.

[ October 09, 2002: Message edited by: Nils ]

~Matthew 12:37
Nils is offline   Reply With Quote