The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2003, 10:06 AM   #1
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Airehiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Why do YOU see it over and over again?

This weekend I saw TTT for the fifth time. I began to wonder, why do I go see it so many times? Then I began to wonder why do others go to see it so many times? <P>I see it because I think the movie theater is the best place to enjoy the movie. Seeing it on a big huge screen, with the awesome theaters sound system and theater popcorn. (Though I could do without the theater getting away with highway robber for their refreshments!)<P>So, my questions to you are: How many times have you seen it? Are you planning to see it again before it leaves theaters? And the big one: WHY do you do it?<P>Thanks all!!
Old 02-04-2003, 10:59 AM   #2
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have seen it six times, and plan to go many times more. I have to beat eight.<P>i think that the movie gets better every time you see it. Once you have absorbed the storyline, yiou can start to really enjoy the characters for who they are. Am I right?
Old 02-04-2003, 11:18 AM   #3
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

I agree, but I also think the more that you see it, the more you begin to notice the little mistakes here and there. As I watched it the last time, I noticed that during the scene where Sam makes his monologue, he starts out on the right hand side, and you can see Gollum behind him, but then he moves over to the left, you should be able to see a little bit of Gollum, but he is not there. <P>I also noticed that during the scene where Sam tells Frodo to put on the ring and leave (When Faramir has them in the cave), at first you can see barrels in the background, and Frodo is leaning on one. But when Faramir is heard coming in, the camera goes to him, and then back to Sam and Frodo, and there are no barrels!<p>[ February 04, 2003: Message edited by: Airehiriel ]
Old 02-04-2003, 12:13 PM   #4
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

Finding stuff like that is half the fun. It doesn't ruin the movie, not for me at least.<BR>I have now seen it 8 times. I saw FOTR 9 times (and I am sure TTT will be there soon).<BR>I see these movies over and over because of the truth in the storytelling and the emotions that are given. The performances by the actors are reason enough alone. The special effects and scenery are other reasons. The music. And we can't forget the story!<BR>This is the movie event of this century (so far!) and it's nice to know that I have been a part of it, in the same way that others were part of the Stars Wars trilogy when it first came to theatres. I just think that's it's a great experience overall. I have also made a lot of new friends thanks to line parties and message boards. I never would've met these people if we didn't have the movies in common.<BR>They are marking this moment in my life, and I will always remember it (just the same as my tattoo marking another moment in my life... same deal ).
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 02:48 PM   #5
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Ring

I tell you I read the books(which I own) for my love of the adventure. Buy I watch the movies at least 6 times for Elijah Wood. Sorry to say, the movies are great but without the background, I don't think I would have understoud much.<P>__________________________________<P>"Hell o, this is Billy Boyd, and welcome to Lord of the rings.net" Billy
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 03:11 PM   #6
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You only have a certain amount of time before it leaves the theater, so you have to absorb as much as you can from the film. (this reminds me, I have to go see it again this Friday, that would be fun<BR> )<p>[ February 04, 2003: Message edited by: Gorwingel ]
Old 02-04-2003, 03:23 PM   #7
dunadan_aragorn
Wight

dunadan_aragorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to dunadan_aragorn
Sting

Pity me, I have only seen it twice. My dad doesn't really understand. He sees it once and decides that's enough.
dunadan_aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 03:59 PM   #8
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Grimbold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For me, three times is enough. I love the movies a great deal, but I would prefer to see new things in the movies after I see each one of them three times. In my opinion, three times in the theatres plus a few times at home is plenty enough to enjoy the hell out of a movie, plus the extra features and hype is fun, too. Feel free to disagree. I too have people who don't understand why I see a movie three whole times in the theatres.
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 04:50 PM   #9
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

*Maikafanawen rumages through old LOTR ticket stubs trying to keep track of how many are for TTT and how many are for FOTR. Exasperated, shoves them all off her desktop and into the drawer*<P>Probably about 7 times for TTT. FOTR got to 13!! I only paid for four separate tickets. Friends and family paid for the others. I see it over and over for the same reasons everyone else does. I love it, I love it on big screen, I love the actors, I love trying to find little mistakes, etc ... I didn't tell anyone how many times I saw FOTR total. Whenever they asked I say, "at least three times" which gets suprised looks anyways ... lol
Old 02-04-2003, 05:09 PM   #10
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I go for the sole reason of seeing it on the big screen with the THX sound. Trouble is when I went back to see TTT again, they had put it on the small screen way in the back of the theater with low quality acoustics - I wanted a refund.<P>I have no doubt the the extended versions of TTT and RotK will be better than the theatrical cuts, so without the huge screen I'll save my money.
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 07:32 PM   #11
nevlhachien
Animated Skeleton

nevlhachien has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

i only got to see TTT twice *weeps* it is already gone from the nearest theater to me so *weeps again* i wont get to see it for......until it comes out on DVD. i din't even see FotR in theater. at that time i thought it looked stupid but when my mom brought it home like 2 months ago and made me watch it with her i fell in LOVE with it. isn't that funny? well i wish i could see TTT again, like right now, but i cant. *weeps yet again*<BR>namarie<BR>-Nevie
Old 02-04-2003, 08:21 PM   #12
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dunadan and Nevie, I feel your pain, for I too have only seen TTT twice . If I wasn't broke I would have exceeded that number greatly. I go to see the movies in the theaters over and over again because you don't get the whole effect in you living room.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:38 PM   #13
PigsnieLite
Pile O'Bones

PigsnieLite has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ive seen it 5 times & I would see it more but one of my friends got his hands on an Oscar screener! Waaaahhhh! (Its alright, his dads sister is an actress & votes for Oscars.) Anyway, now, we can watch Gollum & the elves of Haldir over & over again & my friend can stare all he wants at Arwens chest.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:57 AM   #14
Ringfenwen
Pile O'Bones

Ringfenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

5 times, but if i had the money i would go and see it every night as long as it was in the cinema.<BR>It's gr8 cos me and mates all like different ppl in it, 1 likes orli, another faramir, a third haldir( disturbed child), though i've now converted most of them to aragorn (and eomyr, and orli, and Theodrid(yes i know he's dead) and faramir minus nose, and eomyr with helmet, hey let's face it, they're all GORGEOUS)<BR>sorry, got a little sidetracked there.<BR>neway, i go to see it over and over again, cos it's AMAZING, who needs more of a reason than that?
Old 02-05-2003, 07:54 AM   #15
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

I don't. Twice was enough for me (and even then we only went a second time because the first was a late showing after a few beers had been consumed ). And twice is once more than I've ever seen any other film at the cinema.<P>Now I'm happy to wait 'til the DVD comes out.
Old 02-05-2003, 02:34 PM   #16
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

5 times for TTT so far - >25 for FotR (in the theatre that is). I plan to go see TTT at least two times more. I'm simply doing it because I get more & more out of it for each time - I see more of all the great details & work that's been put into the movies, notice a lot of smaller things that gets lost in the big picture (literally!) the first time(s). I really don't look for mistakes - I will see some, but that doesn't bother (or interest) me.
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 07:18 AM   #17
Lady_Báin
Wight

Lady_Báin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

4 times but it's not fair!! i have spent about 40 dollars (i know i always rant about how expensive it is to see a movie where i am from but oh well) akh!!! and now i am officially broke so i can't go anymore and this weelk is the last week they are showing it(i think ) but i go because it's an awesome to see it in all it's grandure on the big screen!!
Old 02-06-2003, 03:42 PM   #18
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've seen it twice, I have da mola, but not the transport. 45 min away from a theatre makes things difficult without a full drivers licence. Or a car for that matter. I hope to see it 4 times before it leaves.<P>I see it again and again becuase I want to pick up on all of the details. I want to have it memorized so that I can discuss it better. It is also better to see it on a bigger screen, it is just one of those big screen movies.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:16 AM   #19
Airehiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Thanks for all the replies, guys! I fell much better knowing I'm not the only one who likes to see a movie again, and again, and again, and....well, you get the point!
Old 02-07-2003, 06:18 PM   #20
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

*Blushes* I've only seen it three times. I'll have seen Chicago the same number of times as of Sunday. I really need to see it more. But "Catch Me If You Can", "The Ring", "Gangs of New York", "Shanghai Knights", "Chicago", and other such films get in the way...I haven't seen "Shanghai Knights" yet, but...<P>I go back to see movies if I like them! It can be an impressive plot, great effects, or actors like Daniel Day-Lewis, Orlando Bloom, or Catherine Zeta-Jones (I love her so much) that bring me back to see movies more than once. That's basically all it takes. Or being extremely hilarious movies, such as "Pulp Fiction"...even though I didn't see that in the movies, it's the type of movie I'd see many times...
Old 02-07-2003, 10:54 PM   #21
Jeli Baggins
Haunting Spirit

Jeli Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jeli Baggins
Sting

Well, I personally go because its like my own little paradise. I learn all the words over the course of maybe 8 or 9 times, and then it's even better, b/c you get to say it with the same accents and notes (the opposite of monotone)as the characters. Nothing distracts me, (although it used to) and I'm allowed to concentrate on the history of my ancestors. <P> Eleanor, I have to beat 8 too! I've saw it 8 times so far, and maybe I can go on Sunday for the win. <P> Maikafanawen, I kept/keep all my ticket stubs too. I would be <B>sooooooooooo</B> proud of myself if I saw it 13 times in the theaters! Wow I would never care if people thought it was stupid to see it that many times. I would laugh and think the crazier they know I am, the better! (wow I can't believe this hobbit that has no self-confidence is saying that!) Well, naramie for now, Jeli Baggins
"My dear Frodo! Hobbits really are amazing creatures. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you." ~ Gandalf to Frodo
Jeli Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 11:46 PM   #22
Aerandir Carnesir
Wight

Aerandir Carnesir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ive only seen it three times, but I'm going to see it more. The reason I see it again and again is because The theatre seating, the big screen, and the sound with the movie is so much more fun to see than at home; the theatre environment(although I could go without other people's annoying laughs) and, because I didn't read TTT, I get most of the plot, With the exception of Shelob, The White tower, pippin looking at the palantir, etc, and the false information I got from elves at helm's deep, but the over all reason I see it so much is cause I understand it better each time. And I think that the movies are cool. <p>[ February 08, 2003: Message edited by: Aerandir Carnesir ]
Aerandir Carnesir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:04 AM   #23
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

The LOTR films are the only films I have ever saw many, many times. The only movie that I had seen twice before FOTR was Titanic. I went and saw FOTR 7 times because after I saw it the first time I said to myself "This film is really amazing, I love this" so I just started going again and again, and it became such a big part of my life.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:44 AM   #24
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

I have seen TTT 3 times in the theatre. 3 is a nice round number:<P>Once just to see it the first time.<BR>Twice to just sit back and enjoy it without being hyper critical of all the changes (the good, the bad, and the ugly) and to just be more relaxed about it in general.<BR>Thrice just for the sake of the lovely big screen and surround sound and to tide me over until the DVD comes out.<P>The Extended DVD, I hope, will be what I can really "treasure", since I'm counting on it improving the movie greatly.<P>I only saw FotR once in the theatre, becaue I come from a "once is enough" family. But when the DVD came out in August and I rushed to check it out, it was such a shock to see how "less" the epic shots looked. For instance, in the theatre I felt like I was practically a part of the the battle in the prologue, sweeping over the massive armies. And then the Balrog's whip was cracking at ME!!! But on the TV screen it becomes more detached, so you know you're watching a movie in a little box, not <I>really</I> right there.<P>So! What I'm getting around to is that in August I made an oath to go see TTT at least 3 times. If it had lived up to all my expectations, I'd probably go to see it more, but as it is my cutting off point is 3.<P>Until the Extended DVD...
Old 02-08-2003, 03:04 AM   #25
Sauron the deciever
Animated Skeleton

Sauron the deciever has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sauron the deciever
Sting

I saw FOTR 5 times at the movies and TTT so far only 3. I could have seen the fellowship A LOT more times at the movies if (i didnt run out of $!!!) I dont find that with TTT...im almost kinda sick of it.(if thats possible) I guess i just liked the fellowship a tad better, i wish i could see it at the movies again! its soooooo much better!
Sauron the deciever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:42 PM   #26
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Well, let's see, I saw LotR five times in theaters, while I've seen TTT four. Here's my basic list of reasons for going multiple times:<P>First- To see it and be amazed.<BR>Second- To set down the storyline in my mind<BR>Third- To recongnize the soundtrack in accordance to various parts of the film.<BR>Fourth- Look for bloopers and cameos and memorize the rest of the lines.<BR>Fifth- To revisit my thoughts on the first time... and yes, to make fun of it and talk the whole time .
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 01:21 PM   #27
Dark Shadow
Wight

Dark Shadow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I think I'm seeing TTT over and over again to compensate for not seeing FotR in the theater. It really is so much better when you see it on the really big screen, and I like the atmosphere (even if everyone else in the theater laughs at Gollum... ). I've seen TTT 4 times so far I think. I'm planning to see it again before it finnishes. I think I'll probably see RotK more times though, simply for the reason that it's the last one. That and it's my favourite of the books, so I expect the movie to be good.
Dark Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 04:05 AM   #28
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've seen TTT about 3 times I think but to tell ya the truth, I bought a pirated copy of it so I can watch it any time I want if I'm having withdrawl symptoms. I really want to see it again before it leaves cinemas, it was just so amazing and visually powerful that it draws me back plus the acting is great and ofcourse the storyline rules! I really have to go see it again but unfortunately my mother thinks that I'm obsesses with LOTR and gets really angry with me, so far she's deprived me of my books (but I snuck in a copy of the Silmarillion ) and she doesn't want me to watch the movies again either
Old 02-10-2003, 04:39 AM   #29
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

I see it for the sound and picture quality. Although the last time I went was horrible. I went with a few friends, and one would not SHUT UP during the movie. He's usually okay, but I wanted to strangle him many times.
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 10:39 AM   #30
Calliope and Linus S. Underhill.
Pile O'Bones

Calliope and Linus S. Underhill. has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I saw the Fellowship 8 times in the theater and at least 20 at home, but I've only seen TTT three times and have no desire to see it again. It was too un-Tolkien to me. Frodo and Sam were screaming at each other the whole movie, that Aragorn-Arwen stuff made no sense, therefore it annoyed me, and since when is Theoden so darn rude? I was disappointed in Frodo's part because Elijah Wood did a much better job in this movie, but his part was lame. I've had people tell me they hated Frodo because he doesn't do anything and Sam keeps having to get him out of trouble. Since Frodo is my favourite character, I feel like socking Peter Jackson right now. How abominable! But I'm not as mad as I was a few weeks ago. I might get by if the Return of the King is better.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:35 AM   #31
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know I'm not as smart as your average bear, but I just noticed these two things for the first time when watching Fellowship a couple of nights ago.<P>On the top of Amon Hen, when Aragorn is about to take on all the orcs, I could swear I heard a sheep. <P>Okay, that's a little silly, but a few moments later Aragorn jumps off the dias that holds the high seat and he yells "Elendil!". I never noticed that before and it was so cool. <P>H.C.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:42 AM   #32
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I saw Fellowship Of The Ring 10 times because I fell in love with Lord Of The Rings. It captivated me, so I went back for more.<P>The same happened when TTT came out. I would have gone more than 11 times, but it disappeared from the cinemas rather early.<BR>The one main reason I saw TTT, now that I think about it, was the moment at Helms Deep when Gandalf and the Rohirrim rode down the slope. I couldn't get it out of my head. Also, I listened to the soundtrack almost every day, and the Rohan theme got me addicted. So I had to keep going back for more.
Old 05-23-2003, 12:07 PM   #33
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I only saw them three times (each) in theaters. But that was fine with me. To catch all the little details, I like it better in my lap (on my laptop) in my room. And I'd rather wait to see the extended version so the theatrical one doesn't get burned into my mind. I saw the theatrical FOTR millions of times at home, and when I saw the extended version it took me a while to figure out if I liked it better. So, I can wait. Especially since I'm not entirely satisfied with the theatrical TTT. I'm hoping they improve the extended. I don't want to have a bad impression of TTT until I finally see the finished product.
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 12:15 PM   #34
Calenedheliel1
Pile O'Bones

Calenedheliel1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My girlfriend and I try to go every week to see TTT. We saw LOTR at least 30 times. Each time we go we try to pay attention to a specific spot in the movie to get all the fine details down. We have had a lot of fun doing this. Like one time we counted how many times Frodo landed on his back and then we joked about it. But mostly we go because we love the books and the movies.
Calenedheliel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 12:19 PM   #35
BethoHOG
Haunting Spirit

BethoHOG has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to BethoHOG
Sting

I've seen The Fellowship of the Ring twice and The Two Towers twice, and I suppose I'll see The Return of the King twice to keep the pattern. <P>My parents would kill me if I went to see any of the movies more than twice anyways, because they always say it's such a waste of money seeing it more than once... and I suppose it is when you can wait for the DVD to come out. But I saw The FotR first... well... because my brother forced my whole family to see it (and by then I was looking forward to it anyways), and then the second time us kids wanted to see it again... just for the sake of it. My parents got kind of mad because of that...<P>For TTT, my whole family went to the 12:01 a.m. showing (I'm so proud of my parents )! The second time, my brothers and I went with two friends who hadn't seen it, so my parents didn't mind that so much.