User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-01-2003, 07:29 AM   #521
Dark Shadow
Wight

Dark Shadow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Finally, the Elf looked up. The man had been speaking for long, and he had listened carefully to all that he had been told. A seer he thought. Someone who had dreams and visions, and had seen many Elves. Someone who spoke of a great deed, and of him, one of the first-born. Well, the man was correct in assuming that he was not of Lorien or Rivendell. He was not of anywhere. It had been decades since he had thought of anywhere but the wilderness as his home. The man was watching him, awaiting a reply.

“I will not be listed in your books.” He said after long thought. “And there will be no memory of me in any song. I am an Elf long forgotten, and I wish for it to remain that way.”

He had looked with interest at the books, and now began to wonder. He carries an elven blade, and a bow, and he claims to have helped the Elves. Now he wishes to help me with this great deed he speaks of.
“I do not doubt your dream friend,” said the Elf slowly, “But I do not know of this deed of which you speak. However, I will do all I can to help you push aside the mists of your dream and see what it predicts.”
He began to think of the dream, which had been spoken of. A place where many Elves were gathered. Water all around, and great turmoil.

“I am not one to explain dreams, but I will try for you. Might I ask if there were any further details of this dream, which perhaps you left out?”

His fair face was filled with concentration as he tried to work out the meaning of this strange dream. The darkness returned to his face, clawing at his mind. He sighed, and looked at the seer.

“And perhaps you could explain why exactly you chose me to help uncover your meaning.”

With this he sat, awaiting the answers that he knew would drag his heart down further than anything he had met so far.

[ January 01, 2003: Message edited by: Dark Shadow ]
Old 01-01-2003, 10:32 AM   #522
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Rie gazed out at the night sky, at the star Eärendil that Pio was pointing out. When first she looked at it, it seemed cold and far away, like everything else in her life--her family, her home, her future. She didn't notice the rush of fresh air, or even the little chill in the air through her gloom. But then Pio began to speak.

"Hail Eärendil, of mariners most renowned..."

Rie stood transfixed as Pio spoke these words that she had heard so long ago, so many times, and then looked at the star again. Stories that her mother had told her came back in a rush, and suddenly the star looked less like a distant, cruel false hope and more like the light of a lantern in a friendly home, telling her that it friends and warmth are not far away, if only she would keep going for a little while longer. Once more tears stung her eyes, but it was no longer from terror. She smiled gratefully at Pio, and, finding words insufficient, embraced her.

[ January 01, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]
Old 01-01-2003, 01:15 PM   #523
Eruantalon
Wight

Eruantalon has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eruantalon
Sting

"Since I have know many of the Elves and helped them I have a bit of an unerstanding of them.They take joy and love many thing of Arda but as time wears on they become weary and cautious knowing the pains and probles that they see in there long lives.You I thought were one on a deed closely guarded and serect for that was the order you where given.But you have had such a long life and have seen the fairer things rought in Middel Earth."said now removing the books back from his satchel and handing them to the stranger.

"In the dream there was turmoil and a darkness was pushing itself towrds the light.The Elves where trying to hold it back but it came apon them in a strange way they had not seen befor.So it then took a precious thing from them that caused anger.There where many sent out as a net apon a field to try and retrive what was taken.The whole time I heard the sound of water.The grave and sorrowfull feeling of the dream upset me.To know some one had taken what was not theres and try to mar the fair place the Elves have made for themselfs."the stranger now listened and heard all that he had to say of his dream.

Now they both sat in silence and tryed to unstand what was happening.But none said a word for a short time.

"I see you now look at my sword and bow.The sword was lent to my by the lord and lady of Lothlorien.It was crafted by the Noldar before the exile.But my bow was lent to me by Elrond it is made of dragons horn.It was used long ago by a bowman of Gondolin."he said passing them to him.

"I am on middlel to help all those that need me or want my aid.Ents,Elves,Dwarfs,Men,Hobbits these are all my friends.I am to aid all in middel earth.This is why I approach you.You seemed in need of help of whatever kind,and this is my job while I am still abel.For the strangest gift was given to Men to live and die"he said while the stranger inspected his books and weapons.

Now him and the stranger where getting some where trying to understand the dreams and visions better.But he hoped he could find out soon.He knew ther wasn't much time but this Elf was kind enough to hlep so he felt good in his company.
Old 01-01-2003, 01:42 PM   #524
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Nurumaiel excused herself once again from Lindelot and crept up the stairs to Rie's room. She heard Pio's voice from inside, so she stood in a dark corner.

When Pio left the room, Nurumaiel walked over to the door. Hesitating for only a brief moment, she raised her hand and knocked softly on the door, then stepped back and waited for Rie to answer.

[ January 01, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]
Old 01-01-2003, 02:10 PM   #525
cheeto
Pile O'Bones

cheeto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Belle thanked the stranger for the money before going behind the bar and taking a key hanging off the wall.She took Pio's purse out from under the bar and dropped the silver penny in before tucking it back in it's place.

She walked downstairs and stared at the row of doors."Room 15"she said,reading off the key,then looked at the numbers on the doors."25..26..27..maybe it's an upstairs room"she walked back up to the main room,then went upstairs."1..2....13..14..15,there it is"she opened the door and walked in."This is a big room for one person,maybe it's one of the big people rooms-oh look at the bed!".

She ran towards the bed,then stopped and turned to close the door."WEEE!"she yelled,running towards the bed,"I should stay here everynight!no one at home will believe this!"she jumped on the bed,fluffed the pillows,then started rolling. "Esmerelda, Tolman, Mimi, Hildi, Hendi, Fred, Salvia, Lobelia, they could all fit here!

Prissy and Rosie couldn't kick me on this!" She stood up and grabbed one of the pillows. "Maybe Pio will let me have this,next time Prissy kicks me off the bed HA!"

She swung the pillow in the air before throwing it back in place.She crawled towards the middle of the bed and pulled the covers over her head.Being too riled up to sleep,she tossed and turned,kicked the covers off,then started jumping on the bed."WEEEHEEE!"

[ January 01, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-01-2003, 02:42 PM   #526
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
Anuion had been sitting in the corner and was listening to the story's all around him. He taught is was all useless for getting into an adventure.

"Still no adventure. Where are those adventurer's when you need them. I wish that there was a person that needed my aid." He kept on muttering and ate his meal in peace.

"None of those innvisitors are even willing for a nice chat. Boring Inn this is." He kept going on.
________
Lexus Sc

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 03:41 AM.
Old 01-01-2003, 02:51 PM   #527
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Pio stepped back from the embrace, holding Rie at arms' length. She smiled gently at her, and drew the young woman to her side, her arm about her shoulders. She pointed once again to the star on the horizon.

'I played with him when I was a child in Beleriand, in Ondolindë. He was my dear companion.' Pio leaned on the window's sill, her voice low. 'There was a fountain in the courtyard of the house there. Tuor made little ships for us, swan ships, and we used to sail them in the waters of the fountain pool. And sometimes, Idril would play with us - great battles we had! Always Light would prevail against Shadow.'

The Elf sighed. 'Those were sweeter, happier times. Now long gone.' She turned toward Rie, who gazed still at the evening star, and watched as the night stars' light played softly over the young woman's features.

'It's late.' she said, 'And I have a few things to finish before I take some rest. You should rest now, too.' She placed the still warm drink into Rie's hands. 'Drink this up, and dream sweet dreams. This new day beckons us already.'

Pio moved through the door, closing it behind her gently . . .
Old 01-01-2003, 04:43 PM   #528
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Elanor had all but given up on the old hobbit answering, deciding that he was probably too drunk to notice her. Anyhow, the other guest(an elf?)'s mutterings concerned her more at the moment.

She stomped over to his table and put her hobbit fists on her hips and glared at him with all the ferocity she could muster.

"Boring?" She questioned. "Boring? Well, you've obviously just come, sir, because you missed Miss Pio, the innkeeper, chase out a man, and him comin' back with his arm all bloodied- boring, you say? Well, off with you, then! Go and find a more exciting inn!"

Elanor didn't realize how ridiculous she looked, tiny hobbit that she was, yelling at a guest, an elf no less. Her apron was half-untied, her curly brown hair was coming undone from its previously tidy braid. There never was a sight more amusing to look upon than an indignant hobbit, but then, it was best if you didn't get a hobbit indignant.
Old 01-01-2003, 05:42 PM   #529
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Rie sat back on her bed after Pio left, both in peace and in faint surprise. Pio knew Eärendil? As a child? What tales she would have to tell her family, when she went home! But would any of them believe her?

"Do I believe them myself?" she asked, laughing softly as she took a sip from the drink Pio had given her. "Do I believe that I am really here in the Shire, hearing tales of old from those who were there when they happened?" She looked back out the window, suddenly wistful. "I wish that I could have met him..."

She shrugged dismissively, a little embarrassed at her fantasies, and took another drink. It was very good, warm and comforting. It reminded her of what her own mother would make, when Rie was sick. This, though, even worked on those sick at heart, for Rie felt much better, relaxed and awoken from her gloom and unburdened all at once.

Then a knock came at the door. Rie put her cup down and went to answer it. She didn't know the visitor, but she'd seen her and heard her name. "Nurumaiel, am I right?"
Old 01-01-2003, 05:58 PM   #530
Coral
Haunting Spirit

Location: The wonderful (That was sarcastic) State of Maryland...
Coral has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Coral
Sting

~ Sorry for the wait in me getting back here, like it really matters...carry on! ~

Achae looked up at Deorlin with wonder, this could be her only chance to get out of the Shire and begin her true adventure. Her lips had barely begun to utter yes when a heavy cloud of doubt settled in her mind. The road ahead would be dark indeed, darker then any road she had ever walked upon. She held her downcast stare as she spoke with a heavy heart,

"I am very sorry...but I will have to decline your generous offer. I would be nothing more except a mere bother on your journey." She looked up and saw a slight glint of disappointment in Deorlin's eyes. Looking to Sadbh she spoke again,

"But...but perhaps Sadbh would join you, she knows more then me about the ways of the world and will make a splendid companion." Nodding as if to further her point, Achae paused to wait for Sadbh's answer.
Old 01-01-2003, 06:26 PM   #531
theWhiteLady
Wight

theWhiteLady has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Outside the inn, the sound of hooves clattered up the road, cutting through the still night. The stars were bright overhead and the air cool as a small, brown horse walked wearily up to the stone inn. The Green Dragon the rider read on the sign. She was dressed all in white, but her garments were stained and her shoulders slumped; it was obvious she had been traveling for some time.

"This looks like a suitable place to rest for awhile, my sweet Nell. Thank you for bearing me so patiently this far." The lady in white dismounted and patted her steed fondly on the neck.

After leading her horse to the stables, she returned to the door of the inn and paused before entering. Tired as she was, there was something hesitant in her manner. Perhaps timidness kept her back, or fear, but she soon recovered and bravely pushed the door open... just in time to see a small brown-haired hobbit yelling at an elf seated nearby. She stepped back involuntarily and wondered if she had perhaps made a mistake in stopping here...
Old 01-01-2003, 06:59 PM   #532
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

"Yes, that's right," said Nurumaiel. "Nurumaiel Firithbor." She smiled at Rie, still unable to understand why she had wanted to meet the Elf so much.

"Was that Pio?" asked Nurumaiel.

"Yes, it was," said Rie, and then, feeling she had to tell someday, said, "She knew Earendil!"

Nurumaiel's mouth dropped open and she stared. "Well, I suppose she is an Elf, but so am I... ah well, no matter. I mean, that's wonderful, but I won't spend the time trying to understand how she knew Earendil. Do you mind if I come in?"
Old 01-01-2003, 07:26 PM   #533
excheeto
Animated Skeleton

excheeto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Belle was surprised how high she could jump on the big bed,it was almost scary to look downward and fall,but where else could she get away with something as fun as this?She jumped and looked down again,but this time the falling was longer,and she missed the bed.

*thunk*"OOWW!"She landed hard on her stomach,scraping her knees and bumping her head on the floor.With an ear to the floor,she heard mumbling from the main room.She listened harder,then heard a conversation that seemed to be taking place right under where she was.

"..bother on your journey.."she heard someone say"But...but perhaps Sadbh would join you, she knows more then me about the ways of the world and will make a splendid companion".People looking for companions?On a journey?Would it be on one of those 'adventures'she had been warned about?

Rolling on her side,she decided she would hear all about this,could she be a companion?...well,not likely,but it might at least be something worth gossiping about.
(btw,this is the same person,net servers bad so I had to switch everything)

[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 01-01-2003, 07:45 PM   #534
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

"Oh, not at all, please come in!" Rie opened the door wide to let Nurumaiel enter. She watched the Elf with great interest, delighted to have another visitor (for Rie was unused to being alone), but also a little puzzled as to her motivations. Why had she come?

Then, suddenly, Rie flushed up to the roots of her hair, making her face comically monochrome. The room was rather a mess. Pio had kindly neglected to mention it, but as soon as Rie had come in she had dumped all of her belongings on the bed, the floor, everywhere. Not that there was that much to unload, but what there was had been spread out. Old habits die hard, thought Rie miserably as she, in a last, desperate effort, picked up a few of her articles of clothing. This was reminiscent of what her room looked like--mainly because it was useless trying to clean the room, given that she and her twin shared it.

"Please, excuse the wreck," Rie said apologetically, shoving the clothes inelegantly into one of the drawers. "This is my first time travelling, and I am afraid that once I found a place with a bed, I made myself right at home--to the obvious, disastrous consequences!" She laughed weakly, then, sufficiently satisfied with the effort she had made (the room was presentable, if not clean), she sat down on the bed and gestured for Nurumaiel to join her.

Assuming a comfortable cross-legged position, Rie settled herself and smiled brightly at the Elf. "So, what did you come to see me for?"
Old 01-01-2003, 08:16 PM   #535
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elanor looked up in the middle of her tirade just in time to see a lady in white enter. The lady looked tired, and her clothes were stained from the journey. At the sight of her, words died on Elanor's lips.

Oh, if only Miss Pio were here, Elanor thought, hurrying away to start scrubbing the counters. I always make such a mess of everything. And, as she scrubbed, she looked around for the much-needed inn keeper.

[ January 01, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 01-01-2003, 08:46 PM   #536
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

A grey horse trotted wearily up the road, on her back she bore a young elf. This elf had long brown hair and a fair face yet there was a sadness and emptiness in her eyes. She had ridden far and did not know where she was going. Further up the road she saw a lady clad in white going into a building with a sign, "The Green Dragon" it read, the elf decided to follow.

The elf was tired, she could hardly make it to the door, she didn't even have to strength to open it. She knocked on the door, not knowing whether anyone would hear or answer. She waited, but she could not stand, she collapsed in front of the building. The sign swinging and creaking in the breeze above her.
Old 01-01-2003, 08:48 PM   #537
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

"Well," said Nurumaiel, smiling at Rie. "I don't exactly know why I'm here to speak with you, but I've been watching you all evening, just waiting for a chance to talk with you. I suppose I just wanted to meet you, because you seemed nice enough."

Rie laughed and nodded, seeming to understand completely, and Nurumaiel felt herself warming up to the Elf.

Nurumaiel wasn't normally a shy person. In fact, she was very talkative and hardly did anything else, besides ride. But, as with most, when meeting someone new she could tend to be a bit nervous and at a loss for words.

Looking about Rie's messy room, Nurumaiel felt her smile grow wider. It looked like the two had a lot in common, and Nuru wanted to say so. "It seems we're both very untidy, Rie," she laughed. "You should see my room back home!"

They laughed together, and Nurumaiel suddenly knew she had found a friend indeed.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:07 PM   #538
theWhiteLady
Wight

Silmaril

The lady in white watched the little hobbit run to scrub counters. She had not seen very many of the little people, and could not help staring as the brown-haired hobbit scurried off. She stood, undecided and rather uncomfortable, not sure what exactly to do.

At that moment, a feeble knock on the wooden door behind her made her turn around in surprise. Not sure if anyone else had heard, the white lady opened the door to peak out and then threw it open with a gasp. A fair elf lay collapsed upon the doorstep! The lady in white stooped down and tried to drag her gently inside, not being strong enough to carry the young elf.

"Someone, help please! This young lady has collapsed!"

She looked around desperately, not sure what to do to revive the poor creature.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:41 PM   #539
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

1420!

Quote:
"It seems we're both very untidy, Rie," she laughed. "You should see my room back home!"
Rie laughed aloud, trying to imagine this elegent Elf's room as messy as her own. At home, there wasn't a bedroom--and quite often wasn't a room, period--that didn't require quick reflexes and nimble feet to navigate. She and her twin were terrible housekeepers, and her remaining brothers weren't much better. (Talormë would beg to differ, but Rie had been into his room more than once.)

Giggling off the remains of her mirth, Rie began to trace patterns on the bedspread with her finger. "Well, as I said, this is my first time travelling. I do not know if you overheard my conversation with Pio, since I was none too quiet, but I just recently ran away from my father's house to try and find myself some adventure. My father is Almarien, a Ranger, and I am the only girl in a family of young men who will all grow up to be warriors." She grinned wryly. "I am sorely mistaken if I've not found myself in an adventure already! That poor man, Barodir...well, that threw me for a loop, no mistake. I'd never seen such an injury." Rie shivered, then looked Nurumaiel in the eyes. "I am as young as I look, and more naive. But I think that here at the Inn, I shall find a place to come into my own. No doubt about it." She laughed again, and began to fiddle with her scarlet hair.

"It's a nice place, this," she said, half to herself. "Good people. Some strange people, but the Shire-folk are honest and kind. Much like the people that I know from my own country. Strange that such a haven for adventurers would lie in such a peaceful country!" Rie smiled. "But, strange things are all we have, often, in these times. But tell me, Nurumaiel, what brings you to the Shire?"
Old 01-01-2003, 10:02 PM   #540
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Shield

"Partly to get away," said Nurumaiel, looking out the window. "You see, back home, in Rivendell, there's this elf called Girithtil. She's nasty, if you can imagine a nasty elf. She seems to hate me, though I don't know why. Every chance she gets, she'll make fun of me and taunt me. Sometimes she's cruel to my horse, Menethon. I leave Rivendell every so often just to get away and find some peace.

"I also come here because I made friends with two of the hobbits: Robin Brandybuck and Dinodas Green. In fact, I think they're here at the inn tonight. Robin is a sweet girl, very fun-loving, and always ready for an adventure. Dinodas is about the same way, only he has a special way with animals. They are forever teasing each other, and teasing myself. They think I'm in love with Firramer, a mortal who is also at the inn." Nurumaiel rolled her eyes, and Rie laughed.

Suddenly Nurumaiel began just talking, telling about things that had happened in her life. She found that gazing out the window at the night sky gave her memories of when she would gaze out at the stars at Rivendell, and all the things that had happened there.

"I used to know this elf called Rinnanwen," said Nurumaiel quietly. "She was like my mother, really. You see, I don't exactly know who my parents are. I was brought to Rivendell when I was only three years in this world. Rinnanwen cared for me and raised me.

"Soon the Lady Galadriel had me go to Rivendell, and I said goodbye to Rinnanwen, though it was only for a short while. She came to Rivendell and visited many times. But soon I would say goodbye to her forever."

Nurumaiel gave a deep sigh and continued.

"You know how all -well, almost all- the elves are leaving Middle-earth for Valinor? Just two years ago in the mortals' count, Rinnanwen came to Rivendell unexpectedly. She told me she was leaving Middle-earth forever, and that we would probably never meet again."

Rie looked at her with gentle pity. "Aren't you going to Valinor soon?" she asked.

"I don't know. I don't feel that it is my time yet. But Rinnanwen said I would never go to Valinor. I don't know if I believe her."

Nurumaiel suddenly looked at Rie and blushed. "I'm sorry for rattling on so," she said. "I must have bored you immensely. Please, tell me a little more about yourself."
Old 01-01-2003, 10:24 PM   #541
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Sting

Valinor...

Rie had heard of the Passing of the Elves, of course. Her father was a Ranger, after all, and the Rangers had always stayed close to the Elves. But to hear it from an Elf seemed to bring it a new dimension of reality. For a moment Rie bit her lip and turned her eyes down. She felt Nurumaiel's eyes on her, and looked up again with a grin to hide her embarrassment and the twinge of sorrow she felt.

"About myself?" she asked. "Well, honestly, there is not much to tell, not yet. For the moment I am only a simple girl looking for her place in her father's world. Quite frankly, I feel a little insignificant in all these great happenings. That is why I came to the Shire: to find my place in this world at this time of change. I was not content to stay at my father's house, in my mother's forge, while the whole world shifted around me!" A strange vehemence came into Rie's voice, and a fire into her green eyes. Then both died. "But I am afraid that I may not be up to the challenges that await me. How can I hope to meet them if I could hardly bear to see Barodir's injury? For surely I shall see worse if I join any adventure." She made a face as though she tasted something bitter, then her shoulders slumped. She looked at Nurumaiel, and laughed, a strange laugh for the circumstances, free from bitterness. "But I have heard that that is the way of all adventurers at the beginning--no one is born brave. I suppose we shall see, shan't we?"
Old 01-01-2003, 10:42 PM   #542
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

...Yet another stranger entered The Green Dragon, this time an elaboratly cloaked Elven woman. She stood for a while a few feet from the door,
"a strange day it is when elves should journey into the shire" she closed her eyes and sat at one of the vacant tables, extracting from her bag, a quill and parchment, and hastily began to write only to stop and look up alarmed. "the smell of injury is in the air, please, someone tell me, what fray was here?"

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 01-01-2003, 11:05 PM   #543
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

The *thunk* of small hobbit fists on the table behind him shook Biffo from his thoughts. He had been thinking of the world outside the Shire's borders, a world that seemingly came to The Green Dragon much more often than to his local at Frogmorton, The Floating Log. Biffo wondered if Men and Elves were always so reckless and eager to quarrel.

At first the man's arm had not looked too serious to Biffo, and he made the mistake of thinking the womenfolk were over-reacting. But Pio the barkeep had certainly realised the extent of his wounds. Biffo had helped in what little way he could, moving the injured man so he could be aided, and holding him down while Pio tended to him.

Biffo drained his tankard, and waited patiently beside the hobbit Elanor until he could get her attention. Asking for a room for the night, he quickly moved to reclaim his hat from the stand near the door, and then followed Elanor out of the common room. Biffo was a little taken back by his first visit to The Green Dragon, but intrigued nonetheless. He retired to his room for a long think, and hopefully some peace and quiet before morning.

[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: doug*platypus ]
Old 01-01-2003, 11:17 PM   #544
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The elven woman watched Biffo walk away, and stirred, called after him for she had heard his thoughts... "men quarrell because they are mortal, elves, i can only presume quarrell because they are prevoked, when prevoked are swift and lethal, goodnight" she lowered the hood of her deep blue cloak and continued to write.

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 01-02-2003, 12:25 AM   #545
excheeto
Animated Skeleton

excheeto has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Belle had been listening through the floor for some time now.The peices of conversation were interesting at first,but something about them turned eery.

The conversation about a journey dimmed past her hearing,but something new came up.Severel elves had been entering.She had always thought elves were pretty,but something about them made her shy in thier prescence.What was Valinar?Why were they in such a hurry to go there?Why were there suddenly so many of them in the Shire?Who wore white?She sounded like another elf.Who was this lady who fainted?Was she another elf?What did that elven lady mean by telling that to Biffo!?There always seemed to be more to these elven folk than they let on,but what was it?Maybe she could talk to some in the morning,no,not the lady in white,too scary somehow.The one who fainted?maybe,but what if she was as scary as the other elves?

She stood up off the floor and climbed in the bed.She could go home in the morning,but how could she leave a mystery like this behind?

Old 01-02-2003, 02:15 AM   #546
ambi
Pile O'Bones

ambi has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quietly, the door opened and a tall man walked in. His face was covered partially with a grey hood and his head was bent. Nobody paid the slightest attention to him as he took a seat in a corner.

This was the first visit of the young ranger, Esgalindorn son of Tieragorn in the shire. Eight days of wandering in the wild had completely worn him out and within a few moments he fell asleep. The conversations of the various folks in the inn went on unhindered by this newcomer.

Before now, he had only remained in the outskirts of the shire protecting the simple hobbits from various dangers and was little known to elves, dwarves and other rangers also. But from the sound of his snores, it was clear that nobody would be knowing more about him for a while.

[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: ambi ]
Old 01-02-2003, 03:25 AM   #547
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Beruthiel woke up, her head spinning.
"Are you alright?" asked a maiden in white
"I think so..." she replied "Where am I? Is Baeruin here? Where is he?". Beruthiel fell into a daze, she had been travelling long and got lost along the way. She had been with out sleep for many a day and she drifted back into sleep. Her dreams were filled with memories, terrible memories of her journey and of her brother...
Old 01-02-2003, 03:25 AM   #548
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Quote:
"Someone, help please! This young lady has collapsed!"
Pio ran down the stairs at the sound of this distressed call. ‘What’s this now?’ she thought to herself. ‘One would think this an inn at the quay in Umbar – rough trade and patrons dropping from the consequences of misadventures.’ She shook her head in wonder. ‘It’s the Shire – things should be slow and peaceful here!’

Her eyes surveyed the newcomers as she reached the bottom of the staircase. So many Elves! ‘I hope Círdan has extra ships anchored in Mithlond for all these westward wanderers.’

A few quick strides brought her to the front entrance of the common room. The few drinkers still left at the tables had stood up to watch as a woman in travel stained garments attempted to bring a prostrate Elf over the doorstep and into the room. Pio knelt down by the young Elf’s side and gently slapped her cheeks trying to draw her back to consciousness.

‘Elanor! Bring me that candle lantern there and one of the quills from behind the bar – the old one, whose point we can’t sharpen anymore.’ Elanor rant to bring her the items, wondering al the while what she would do with them.

Pio singed the feathers of the quill in the candle flame, blowing out the flame when they caught fire. The smoky, reeking smell of burnt feathers wafted up from the quill, and she waved it beneath the young Elf’s nose. Soon a spluttering sound of disgust came from the recumbent figure, and the young Elf reached up and batted the malodorous feather away from her face.
‘Good! You’ve come back to us.’ She motioned to the woman who had called for aid, and between them, they hauled the Elf up and walked her to a chair. Elanor brought food and drink and set it before the recovering Elf.

Pio turned to the woman in the grimed white and thanked her for her help. ‘My name is Piosenniel, or Pio, if you prefer. I’m the Innkeeper here, and tonight, the nursemaid.’ She laughed, shaking off the weariness of the long day. ‘How may I serve you?’
Old 01-02-2003, 05:00 AM   #549
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The circle had slowly vanished, everyone had drifted off to sleep in quiet rooms. Elwen slowed to a stop and lowered the flute from her lips. It was odd to continue to dance and play when everyone else had seemingly vanished. Elwen had been swept away by the music that she had been playing, she hadn't noticed the movement of the others in the Inn. Elwen glanced around the room, the fire had burned low giving out a deep red glow.

Elwen sighed and moved from the centre of the room to a chair beside a great window. West it looked, the stars burned bright, Earendil flashing blue and silver against the black. Elwen slipped easily in to thought. Curling her feet beneath her, Elwen began to tell her people of her day. Thoughts pasting back and forth yet never could a sound be heard in the new quiet of the inn.

Elwen desired no sleep. In all the short time she had spend on Arda she had never slept. She desired it not for she knew it not! Besides, the fire in this room gave off a dim light and this chair and the window with star and moonlight would keep her happy and content for many hours through the night, It always had!

[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: arelendil ]
Old 01-02-2003, 05:01 AM   #550
Dark Shadow
Wight

Sting

He studied the books for a while, and then the bow and blade. Turning it so it caught the light, he read the inscription on the hilt of the sword. Finally, after an age of inspection, he spoke but six words.

“You are very lucky my friend.”

Then he put his mind to work at the dream. Water, he thought. Light and Dark. That was what the man had said. He looked for significance, trying to find something worth reporting.

“I suppose you do not know where this Elvish gathering you speak of took place? I would suggest that maybe it was somewhere where two rivers meet, although it was but a dream and there may be no true location.”

He thought on again, drinking from the miruvor that Pio had left. This was hard for him. It had been ages since he had spoken to anyone, and now he was sat here in the firelight with a seer, trying to interpret a dream. Funny that. Anyone else could walk into an inn, and remain perfectly anonymous, and even moan about being ignored, but those who hid soon enough were discovered by the most unlikely people. Oh well. This was how it always was. He should never have entered the inn in the first place if he was unwilling to be noticed. He put all such thoughts out of his mind, and concentrated hard on the dream.

“Evil will triumph over good, that is the dark invading the light,” he explained, unsurely, “Something of great worth, something treasured will be lost, and good will then set out to recover that which was taken.”

He stopped, and looked piercingly at the man, before continuing,

“This is all I see. I am no dream translator, I do not deal in dreams and visions and that is all I can tell you. If you seek the opinion of one who would truly understand all of which you speak, I would advise you to visit Elrond in Rivendell. If all you speak of is true, and by the books and weapons you carry, I would say that you are most likely Elf-friend, he should be happy to receive you, and hear all you know.”

With this, the Elf seemed satisfied that he had done all he could to be of service. Although he wondered, if the stranger would be willing to travel the distance to Rivendell, for it was a harsh road, especially now…
Old 01-02-2003, 05:22 AM   #551
arelendil
Wight

arelendil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Elwen slid slowly out of her thoughts, like going in reverse. Pulling her eyes away from the stars, Elwen looked around the room. Many people had just entered the Inn.

People was the wrong word, Elwen realised with delight, these were elves, fair folk that had travelled far by the looks of them. Elwen found hobbits strange having never been around them, stars and elves were all she had ever know.

At a glance Elwen could tell that something was wrong. The elves that had just entered where not merry and light footed as elves should be. They tired from many days travel. Quickly jumping up from her sit by the window Elwen ran to the fire and rebulit it. The light leaped back and the room was once more filled with dancing flames of red and gold.

Slowly Elwen walked towards the crowd of people. trying to see if she could be of any use to the people gathered about. Her delicate silver-grey elven shoes made no noise on the wooden floor boards.

"Can I help?" Elwen asked, sweeping her dark hair out of her face and the way.

[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: arelendil ]
Old 01-02-2003, 09:07 AM   #552
theWhiteLady
Wight

Silmaril

Everything was happening so very fast! The young elf had come around enough to murmer a few words, asking for someone named Baeruin. The lady in white barely had enough time to wonder who in Middle-earth Baeruin could be when another lady rushed down a flight of stairs and over to where she lay.

Moving deftly, the lady quickly revived the elf and together they carried her over to a chair nearby.

Quote:
. ‘My name is Piosenniel, or Pio, if you prefer. I’m the Innkeeper here, and tonight, the nursemaid.’ She laughed, shaking off the weariness of the long day. ‘How may I serve you?’
"Greetings and many thanks, Pio" she dropped into a small curtsy and managed a tired smile. "My name is Laurie and as you can see, I have traveled far to come to your fair inn. I am originally of Rohan, and though I have learned much from the race of the Eldar, I do not belong to their kind." At this, Laurie dropped wearily into a chair beside the one in which they had placed the elf. "All I ask is for a room to stay the night and perhaps a small cup of tea before I retire."

The fire become warmer and made her feel drowsy. Stifling a yawn, Laurie closed her eyes and opened them to see another elf standing before her. This place was full of strange creatures, she thought but she smiled because most of them had seemed to very friendly thus far. Laurie stood to greet the maiden.

"Greetings! I will be just fine after a drink and soft bed, but I do not know about this young lady here," she gestured to the seat beside her, her eyes filled with concern.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:09 AM   #553
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Anuion stopped grumbling for a while and drank his ale. He heard the Dark Shadow talking about business that interested him.

He grabbed up all his courage and walked over to his table.

"Excuse me, I overheard you and could not hel, but noicing that your business interest me. I have traveld in the wilderniss for a long time and exept for a inpolite Hobbit banging on my table I havn't had any company. Would you mind if I joined your table?" He said in one breath, and as soon as he was finished he gasped for air.
________
Hurst Performance

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:58 AM   #554
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

"Hello there sir have your heard what has been said at this tabel"he said whith a rye look on his face.

"So somthing of interst has been said huh now"as he said this the fair haired stranger gave him back his weapons and books.

"So do you have some new or accouts that deal with what we'v been saying"he said as he put his things away.

The man sat down now looked over to them and was obivously deep in thought.So what would he say.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:04 PM   #555
Dark Shadow
Wight

Sting

The table now was occupied by three, himself and two men. He watched both carefully as they continued to think, wondering what they would make of the problem. He was soon to leave the Shire, but wished to find out their business before he set out. He was lingering in the inn for longer than perhaps he would have done otherwise, but warmth had overcome him, and he was unwilling to exit into the dark where rain poured down and there were all the signs of a storm. That would be foolish. As long as he was under a roof, he was safe for the moment.

He suddenly stood up without a word and strode to the door, and stood there looking calmly out into the black night. There were no stars for the thick clouds covered the sky. Rain drops fell upon his face as he stood, watching. Then, he turned abruptly and returned to the table as if nothing had happened.

He sat back down, wiping the moisture from his face. He looked worried, but no more so than usual, and also slightly relived. The truth was, he didn't want to leave, and the rain was just another excuse. it wasn't that he hadn't ridden in the rain before, but as long as there was another option, why get wet? Besides, he could relax here, no need to fight for himself. It was about time his weapons had a rest anyway...

He continued to watch the men, waiting for one of them to speak and break the silence of thought that had fallen upon the table, just as the rain had fallen on his face. Then he thought to say something.

"Well then, are you going to introduce yourself newcomer? My friend here seems to know you, but I am afraid I do not. Maybe you would like explain yourself and your apparent lack of air." At the last comment he smiled in a way that could be thought of a superior, but was more teasing than anything.

"As the Elves of Mirkwood would say, 'You breathe so loud I could have shot you in the dark'."

[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: Dark Shadow ]
Old 01-02-2003, 01:14 PM   #556
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

"Well it would be a good thing to introduce myself at firsth. My name is Anuion. There are not many people that know me for I am a ranger in the wild."Anuion said.

It's clear that I want to help you, but for some reason you seem a bit closed. If you would tell me in how far you will allow me to help you, because if it's something I hate it's meddling in other's bussines." he continued.

"But let's not be hasty, I would like to know your name's for they ar not formiliar with me"
________
Hotels in mexico

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:03 PM   #557
Eruantalon
Wight

Sting

"A ranger no less,yes you can be of great service to us here"He said now looking deep into his face.

"Two nights ago a dream came to me for I am a seer.There was an Elven gathering or haven where darkness was pressing to the light.The elves fought back but it came in a strange way they did not know befor and took somthing of great worth.So many Elven warriors where cast out as a great net apon a field.While I saw this the whole time water could be heard."

"I have helped the Elves many times in need and strife.For reward they have given to me weapons of great worth.For they know being but a man my life is more easly taken.So since I fly into paril with out haste when need be they give me gifts to aid me."he said.

"Now being a ranger you have weapons but if need be simply ask for I have more than I can wield in battel.For I can not weild Ax,Bow, and Sword at once.But these weapons might help you when your in need."

"Yes what you said earlier was true Elven stranger.I am lucky to have such weapons but the edge of this sword was held to my throat once in Lothlorien by Galadreil before she knew me."he said now with a hush in his vioce.

"So I know that the Elves are in paril and need aid.For they have had no luck in the tracking of this stranger.I know this becuse in the dream so many where sent out and this is not accustom to them.The stranger has spoken of going off to Rivendell witch is where I was going when I saw this inn.For the counsil of Elrond is wise and trustfull.So now I know that this stranger is not one of the many trying to find the thief.But earlier I thought so since he was so guarded and removed from the orthers."

"So would you still be intersted in a journy to Rivendell to seek counsil.It is a hard journy and we must be quick lest we would show up too late."

"But my friend a ranger would be welcomed for all of his skills and help."

While he said this the Elven stranger looked strangely at him.Would he want to go off to Rivendell or was he not interrested in helping anyone.Eruantalon looked at the strangers and wondered what would be next.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:11 PM   #558
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio rubbed the back of her neck as she listened to the woman from Rohan speak. 'You are in luck, Laurie. I have two rooms left. Would you prefer the one with a window facing west or perhaps the one facing east?' She watched as the woman fumbled with tired fingers to open the purse at her belt.

'A little flat.' she thought to herself. 'She must have travelled a long way and her monies nearly spent.' Her hand went out to Laurie's arm and stayed the removal of a single coin.' She smiled to herself, wondering what the Dwarf would think of this bargain.

'A new year has just begun. Keep your coin, m'lady, and give me a story from your travels in payment for the room.' Pio called to one of the servers who sat exhausted from the already long night. 'Some tea, Parin, if you please. The one from the shire - scented with elanor.'

She poured the tea for Laurie, Beruthiel, and herself, pushing the pot of honey toward them, should they so desire. Inviting Parin to take a cup with them, she sat back waiting for the story . .
Old 01-02-2003, 04:11 PM   #559
Barodir
Animated Skeleton

Barodir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Barodir lay in a deep sleep in his room. Though he was still asleep, the Elixer of Poppy that Pio had given him after his incedent with the theif was slowly starting to wear off, for his injured arm started to agitate him as he lie in his bed.

His thoughts and dreams that had, until this time, been about his glorious days as a loyal guard of Gondor and with his family, were starting to sour as well. Instead of glory, he dreamt of defeat. His dreams became about the punishment he would recieve for losing the treasures he was to retrieve, and what the punishment would be: Imprisonment? Banishment? Death?

Or perhaps his family would be forfeit? His wife that he had known all his life, and his son, still young but noble, training to become a guard as well. Were they to suffer for his mistake? Would they be tormented for his folly? Would they be forfeit for his ignorance?

Barodir woke with a start at this thought. His arm was numb, but still in pain. But he no longer cared for the arm, for that was the least of his worries.

"I must return to Gondor! I will not forfeit love for ignorance!"

He attempted to get up, but the Elixer caught a late hold on him, and he drifted back to sleep as fast as he had awakened.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:20 PM   #560
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

A hobbit woman staggered through the doorway, clutching her side and shoulder in obvious pain. With difficulty, she struggled to the bar, trying to maintain a modicum of poise, but nearly colliding with three Elves near the blazing hearth. They stared back with evident disdain, thinking she had taken in too many flagons of ale.

The hobbit moaned as her feet gave way and weakness overcame her. She made one last attempt to maintain an upright stance, flinging out her arms towards the nearest Mannish cloak in hopes of grabbing on for support. Alas, her efforts were in vain. With a terrible rip, the cloak gave way. The woman slid awkwardly to the floor, landing in a crumpled heap beside the table of Dark Shadow and Anuion.

Almost immediately, Piosenniel jumped up from her seat with the Dwarf, the Woman, and the again faint Elf. Glimpsing the tiny hobbit collapsed on the floor, she set down her dup of tea and, with the speed and agility common to her race, sped over to the fainting figure and lifted up her hand.

Pio could hear the woman mutter, "The pain, the pain, I am in distress...."

The Elf raised her eyebrows and replied in a stern motherly voice, "Camelia Brockhouse Goodchild, what have you done? I let you out of my sight one minute to visit kin in Minas Tirith, the greatest city of the realm, and you come back in terrible shape."

"That I have," muttered Cami through clenched teeth.

"What is wrong? Tell me. I am a healer and perhaps I may aid you."

"I fear nothing can aid me but the passage of time, or so I have been told." The small hobbit sighed, "My ribs are cracked. I tried to see an Elvish healer, but none were available in Minas Tirith, and Aragorn was gone from the city as well. I had the misfortune to visit the House of Healing and come under the care of one with only minimal skills in Mannish lore."

Cami lowered her voice, "Let me warn you that the healers of the big folk are not all they are reputed to be. I'm lucky to be alive, since I waited many hours before seeing the healer. There were many who needed to be treated first with wounds more grievous than mine, probably caused by brigands or some misfortune of war."

Piosenniel looked over to her friend with concern, "Did this Mannish healer offer you any rememdies?"

"He tried. I was given herbs. These are of some use in dulling pain, but as I am but a small hobbit, they put me to sleep or upset my stomach."

Piosenniel countered, "But how did you manage to come by this grievous injury?" When you departed from the Inn, you were in excellent health. Did you encounter a warg on the road, or perhaps a band of Orcs? Perhaps you had too many cups of mead?"

Cami fidgeted nervously and stared at her furry toes. She shook her head no, but seemed reluctant to explain further.

"Come now, little hobbit, how did these injuries occur?" The Elf repeated her question.

Cami leaned over and whispered in Pio's ear so no one else could hear. "I ate a very large dinner, as is the custom of hobbits visiting their kin, and then toppled down a stairwell. My own smial is all on one level as a hobbit dwelling should be, and does not have these things called "stairs", so perhaps I was a bit careless."

"No swords, or dragons, or wargs....only a little staircase?"

Cami looked a bit sheepish and shook her head yes.

"Well, then, sit down by the fire. I can see you will not be fit to tote trays for some time. You will rest a day or two, and then earn your keep by playing the flute."

Pio shook her head. What would Dwarin think on his return? Between grievous injuries to arms and ribs and the dark faces of some of the visitors, the place was beginning to look more like a healing house for the wayward souls of Middle-earth than a mirthful place for happy hobbits......