The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-03-2002, 01:09 PM   #1
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye What's with the cave troll?

I didn't see that anyone else had started a thread about this, and was very surprised. Did anyone else think the cave troll in the movie was overdone.<BR>Don't get me wrong, it made for an awesome fight scene, and I really enjoyed it, but I think they made the troll too powerful. He was taking on all nine members of the fellowship, and almost got them all. In the Silmarilion, Hurin kills 200 trolls. If they were anything like this troll, there's no way he could've done that, greatest mortal warrior or not.<BR>Also, in the book, wasn't it an orc chieftan that stabbed Frodo, not the troll?<BR>Anyway, just interested in what my fellow members think.
Old 08-03-2002, 01:41 PM   #2
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Aldagrim Proudfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I noticed that too. I think PJ changed it because he felt if they were going to mention a cave troll, they needed to make it more powerful, cause there wasn't much of it in the book. Some audiences might think it was larger and, thus, more dangerous. I think they had the troll stab Frodo instead of the chieftan because lost time on the fight scene.
Old 08-04-2002, 05:27 AM   #3
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

a lot of filmmakers will do that - increasing the size and ability of a bad guy. There are a few plausible reasons: it makes choreography easier and gives the battle a focus/ the bad guy seems much more threatening if he's bigger/ you have to generate less smaller bad guys if you have one big one. (ok, so that doesn't really apply here...)<P>Also, it gives a reason for how it was able to hurt both Frodo and Strider. When you look at the ease with which they kill off regular orcs, it works better if an obviously superior warrior/beast does any significant damage.<P>Or it could just be that PJ wanted a big troll. Look at Jurassic Park: Spielberg decided that Velociraptors were not threatening enough in real life, and so doubled their size for the film.

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 09:11 PM   #4
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

In the books, it says that Sauron had "redone" the trolls, so to speak. He had taught them not to be so witless, and had crafted them horrible weapons. Hence, a more menacing enemy. <P>Plus, as stated in Sam's song, trolls' hides are difficult to pierce. <P>Didn't anyone think Legolas looked a little jerky when he was on the troll, by the way? I mean, I don't have a visual recording of the LAST time I saw an elf jump on a cave troll ( ) but it still looked kind of strange.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 05:01 AM   #5
Ravenna
Haunting Spirit

Ravenna has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I definately agree about Legolas, it just looked slightly wrong, the hobbits on the cave troll were similar, but not so obvious.
Ravenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2002, 08:21 AM   #6
The Green Ringwraith
Haunting Spirit

Location: On the edge of the world I'll roam and the home of the wolf will be my home.
The Green Ringwraith has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Green Ringwraith Send a message via AIM to The Green Ringwraith
Sting

Well, its because once Boyd/Bloom/Monaghan had jumped on the troll, computer graphics clearly take over. <p>[ August 08, 2002: Message edited by: The Green Ringwraith ]
Old 08-08-2002, 01:44 PM   #7
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Now here's a ponderous (pointless) question--Is the cave troll a he or a she?!?!
Old 08-08-2002, 01:52 PM   #8
Anastasia
Haunting Spirit

Anastasia has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Anastasia
Sting

Is it just me, but was the troll too "computerised"? i mean in khazad-dum u couldnt really see that the bridge was computer-engineered, but the troll was obviously computerised? i know they couldnt get a guy in a suit to do that but still...
Old 08-08-2002, 02:48 PM   #9
Vega

Sting

I agree that Legolas jumoing around on top of the Troll looked kinda odd, but that's the limitations of CGI for you.<BR>But even so it was MILES better than the similar looking scene of anakin Skywalker in Attack of the Clones riding around on that cow creature in the meadow.
Old 08-09-2002, 12:33 AM   #10
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually, legolas on the back of the cave troll was hilarious.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:29 AM   #11
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think some people will rost you and eat you for that, Gimli
Losthuniel is offline   Reply With Quote